Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

the best part of arcadia is when you go to find some pirate's treasure and the chest goes 'maybe the real treasure you found was the friends you made along the way' and aika gets insanely mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Boy I hope BR is determined by number of battles and not something like TP gained otherwise I'm screwed since I somehow lucked out and killed some big demon thing in that labyrinth of memories place and got like 4000 TP, which only one character got, everyone else had died and it was a hail Mary attack.

Man I'm terrible at figuring out where I'm supposed to be, got my emperor killed trying to climb some desert tower type dealies.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 30, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

babypolis posted:

tactics was really fun and the story does it best to undo/explain all the stupid poo poo from 4

seriously though does any game have a final boss as stupid and arbitrary as that loving tree

Plenty of games have bosses, even final bosses, that come out of absolutely nowhere, so S4 isn't remotely unique in this - in fact, while it's still bad the tree isn't even one of the worst, it's just yet another flaw with the game. And people have a tendency on calling out flaws for bad games that they ignore for better ones, even if it's the exact same flaw.

Final Fantasy in particular is infamous for them, with one of the most well regarded(so far as I'm aware) - FFIX - having the completely and utterly out of nowhere Necron as the final boss. At least the tree was alluded to, and kind of explained in Tactics - so far as I'm aware Necron has never had an explanation given.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lord Koth posted:

as I'm aware Necron has never had an explanation given.

necron is literally the embodiment of the ambition that possesses the villains from every other game. he's the thing that zeromus talks about "so long as darkness lives in the hearts of men, i will never be truly defeated" etc etc

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Necron owns because he's a Brechtian attack on the "illusion" of FF9's self-contained world (The ultimate threat to characters like those in Tantalus that rely on the power of illusion and performance), just like the Bomb that threatens the "illusion" of the I Want To Be Your Canary performance at the beginning of the game.

If FF9 were being made today, Necron would delete your save data if he managed to beat the party.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 30, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Koth posted:

Plenty of games have bosses, even final bosses, that come out of absolutely nowhere, so S4 isn't remotely unique in this - in fact, while it's still bad the tree isn't even one of the worst, it's just yet another flaw with the game. And people have a tendency on calling out flaws for bad games that they ignore for better ones, even if it's the exact same flaw.

Final Fantasy in particular is infamous for them, with one of the most well regarded(so far as I'm aware) - FFIX - having the completely and utterly out of nowhere Necron as the final boss. At least the tree was alluded to, and kind of explained in Tactics - so far as I'm aware Necron has never had an explanation given.

Destroying the Crystal called Necron. He is the thing which destroys worlds who no longer have their crystals. It is the ultimate aim of the villain.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Man put this game on pc/ps4 sega please.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zaggitz posted:

Man put this game on pc/ps4 sega please.

you think you want this, but the random encounters, just constant and unending, paired with the glacial pace of the ship battles, would tell you otherwise

when someone who thinks ff9 is a masterpiece with perfect battle speed, thinks a game is glacial: that's when you know you hosed up

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The White Dragon posted:

you think you want this, but the random encounters, just constant and unending, paired with the glacial pace of the ship battles, would tell you otherwise

when someone who thinks ff9 is a masterpiece with perfect battle speed, thinks a game is glacial: that's when you know you hosed up

Make it a remaster similar to Final Fantasy 12 and fix all those issues.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

gamecube port was fine

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When I beat Necron I did so with Zidane my only guy alive berserked from Grand Cross just bashing his face in with no input from me

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Infinity Gaia posted:

So RS2 is really the kind of game where you can wander around and then die, huh? I had no real quest objectives, found some random tiny cave and at the bottom was one of the 7 heroes and he basically deleted my party. So that was a thing. Guess I'll go somewhere else.

That guy can be brutal, especially if you face his stronger versions with Grand Slam.

But yeah you basically wander and complete scenarios, which can include killing the Seven Heroes, and after you've done a bunch you'll eventually find yourself on the final emperor. The openness is a bit jarring at first. At least one scenario (and hero) is unavailable until you've beaten 3+ heroes though. Which sucks because it also gates you off from Eastern Guards until then and those are the best way to get samurai-type sword users other than the occasional type 08 character like Achilles.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Boy I hope BR is determined by number of battles and not something like TP gained otherwise I'm screwed since I somehow lucked out and killed some big demon thing in that labyrinth of memories place and got like 4000 TP, which only one character got, everyone else had died and it was a hail Mary attack.

Man I'm terrible at figuring out where I'm supposed to be, got my emperor killed trying to climb some desert tower type dealies.

It's number of battles fought including battles you run away from so don't just spam flee from stuff early on or things can get rough. You also get taxes every time you fight (win or flee).

If you've found the Cave of Memories you should consider taking a dive, or several, in to it because you can get some crazy good stuff as long as you can survive long enough in the deeper floors. The blue path in particular is good because a merchant sells accessories that boost exp(TP) for the wearer and another that boosts item drop rate. The first one costs 10k but after that it's only 5k per purchase, so 3 runs total will let you get 5 potency rings or w/e. One of the floors also has an ore that you can have your smiths turn in to the seven sword or seven armor. The sword's the strongest weapon in the game. Floor 6-10 (or 7-10) can have zircon axe (50atk) and heavy suit (55def) as well. Chest contents are determined when you reach that floor, so you can save at the orb leading to the next floor and keep reloading until a chest has something you want in it but this can be rough on some floors where the chest involves dodging/fighting a lot of stuff. Enemies get stronger as you go deeper too but it also means that even when you're stronger you can find weak enemies to spark earlier techs off of if you need a tech to unlock a late/end game kickass ability.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

arcadia legends changed the encounter rate so it lowers if you keep heading straight in a certain direction and doubled exp gain

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

The Colonel posted:

arcadia legends changed the encounter rate so it lowers if you keep heading straight in a certain direction and doubled exp gain

that's what i'm playing and it's still annoying at times. i'm constantly holding down the frameskip button and use an action replay code to turn off random battles when looking for discoveries

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MotU posted:

gamecube port was fine

it really isn't. you can skip super moves, but you can't skip anything else at all. i really want to watch pyrulen for the three hundredth time, or both airships using focus four times

The Colonel posted:

wow if this is lower and the exp bounty is doubled, i cannot even begin to imagine what DC skies was like

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The Unlimited Saga LP got me to try Romancing SaGa for PS2, and I love and adore it but I think I just got Kawazu'd into an unwinnable game state after the plot took away my cool magic pets who were my primary patcher-uppers so now I'm desperately trying to train in two new idiots who both have rock-bottom Compassion scores while each and every encounter has me burning through tons of DP just to not get splattered because the game strongly disapproves of the few times I attempted to clear one of the dungeons.

I think... I think I like it????

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

it really isn't. you can skip super moves, but you can't skip anything else at all. i really want to watch pyrulen for the three hundredth time, or both airships using focus four times

Alphaaaaaaaaa Stoooooooooooooorm

Repeat that a few hundred times for the authentic feel of Skies of Arcadia's random encounters.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Skies of Arcadia is already so good, but, at the same time, there are still so many obvious and cost-effective changes that can make it better.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Raxivace posted:

Necron owns because he's a Brechtian attack on the "illusion" of FF9's self-contained world (The ultimate threat to characters like those in Tantalus that rely on the power of illusion and performance), just like the Bomb that threatens the "illusion" of the I Want To Be Your Canary performance at the beginning of the game.

If FF9 were being made today, Necron would delete your save data if he managed to beat the party.

And on a baser level he's a literal grim reaper the party confronts through Kuja. He is Death, the ultimate enemy, the entire reason any of the antagonists in FF9 were motivated, the dark inevitable force the party's growth and learning was focused on understanding and eventually accepting.

Death as an final force on your life has been one of the reoccurring plot points and threads throughout every single disc of the game. Now you're finally meeting him first hand. Here, at the end of all things.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 30, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was gifted Tales of Berseria and here are my initial thoughts having not played a non-FF JRPG since like Xenosaga II:

Hour 1: This is anime af and this starting village is gonna get hella murked.
Hour 3: I really have no idea what's going on, demons or w/e oh man I can't even handle all these puns.
Hour 5: This might be the greatest JRPG of all time.

I'm into it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I was sold on Berseria right from the start when I met rear end in a top hat SHOPKEEPER in Velvet's home town.

Also one of the early skits with killing boars and concluding that it's a rational decision.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I was gifted Tales of Berseria and here are my initial thoughts having not played a non-FF JRPG since like Xenosaga II:

Hour 1: This is anime af and this starting village is gonna get hella murked.
Hour 3: I really have no idea what's going on, demons or w/e oh man I can't even handle all these puns.
Hour 5: This might be the greatest JRPG of all time.

I'm into it.
is hour 5 when you got to coo, coo

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm playing berseria now too and it's very good (writing is amazing), but the motivations everyone has to not only be together in a group, but even the main characters main goal, seem really flimsy, even for a jrpg.

Magilou might be my favorite character in a game this year, which is crazy because I've played some games with amazing characters this year.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I was surprised by good of a character Magilou is considering her ridiculous outfit.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How a character looks and what their written character is, is often handled by different people if not entirely different teams and as such the two often have pretty much nothing to do with each other. As backwards as that sounds.

Has anyone tried DragonFangZ which just came out on switch? Looks like a cute roguelike with accessible gameplay, but looks can be deceiving, especially with roguelikes.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Amppelix posted:

How a character looks and what their written character is, is often handled by different people if not entirely different teams and as such the two often have pretty much nothing to do with each other. As backwards as that sounds.

This isn't Magilou though, her entire in-game persona is acting like a clown and she dresses like it.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I'm way, way late to the party but I finally picked up Persona 5 last week after hearing so much about it.

I've never played a Persona game. I'm about 30 hours in and holy poo poo this game owns. The art direction and music had me immediately, and while the story is no great shakes to this point, the gameplay is fantastic. It's right up my turn-based alley.

I hear it's pretty long, almost too long, is that accurate? Because if so I'm fine with it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

abagofcheetos posted:

I'm playing berseria now too and it's very good (writing is amazing), but the motivations everyone has to not only be together in a group, but even the main characters main goal, seem really flimsy, even for a jrpg.

they're all sticking together basically because they mutually hate a guy

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Colonel posted:

they're all sticking together basically because they mutually hate a guy

well thats the thing, early on im not even sure why they really hate him

ok so velvet hates him because he killed her brother, but by doing so he literally saved the planet (obv this changes - but at the time this is how it would have been perceived) - so im not sure why she is so angry? especially since she herself has no problem killing as many people as she needs to? i get that eventually shady stuff starts happening, but for a good while the only reason the party had to hate artorius seemed to be because he was too popular from actually effectively combating the daemonblight... which makes no sense because obviously whoever did that would be popular and powerful as gently caress.

when i was doing those 3 missions for that spy group i actually thought that the game was going to throw a curveball and that you were going to actually be bad guys/anti heroes for taking him down - but then the story quickly shifted to finding out about further stuff and it started being justified. i just feel the party almost fell into justification, as opposed to having it from to start.

still love the game so far though, very glad i picked this up

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Caphi posted:

This isn't Magilou though, her entire in-game persona is acting like a clown and she dresses like it.

Magilou’s oufit is still more practical than that one.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly I find the idea of wearing spell books as a skirt kind of clever and sort of refuse to believe this is the first character design that does that. Seems so obvious, despite thinking it is clever.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

Necron made more sense than that stupid loving tree. Necron at least had a little bit of introduction and backstory, however minimal. Lots of jrpg games do similar things with pulling out final bosses out of their asses but they usually have SOME tiny relation to the rest of the game. The stupid loving tree comes out of nowhere, has absolutely no introduction or explanation in game, and doesnt jive with anything else in the game at all

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

abagofcheetos posted:

ok so velvet hates him because he killed her brother, but by doing so he literally saved the planet (obv this changes - but at the time this is how it would have been perceived) - so im not sure why she is so angry? especially since she herself has no problem killing as many people as she needs to? i get that eventually shady stuff starts happening, but for a good while the only reason the party had to hate artorius seemed to be because he was too popular from actually effectively combating the daemonblight... which makes no sense because obviously whoever did that would be popular and powerful as gently caress.

when i was doing those 3 missions for that spy group i actually thought that the game was going to throw a curveball and that you were going to actually be bad guys/anti heroes for taking him down - but then the story quickly shifted to finding out about further stuff and it started being justified. i just feel the party almost fell into justification, as opposed to having it from to start.

still love the game so far though, very glad i picked this up

I agree that the motivations of the supporting cast are kinda flimsy at times but I don't think you get Velvet. The secret to Berseria is you're not the good guys, even when you are

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

abagofcheetos posted:

i mean

how would you act if your step brother murdered your only family brutally right in front of you and also seemingly caused you to slaughter everyone you've ever known or loved, and how would you act if this rear end in a top hat savior guy came out of nowhere and subjugated everyone like you to become mindless robot slaves for the purpose of slaughtering demons who it turns out actually do have a certain level of self-awareness and compassion

the point of berseria's story is about perspective in traditional good vs evil and humanizing the unstoppable demon lord, artorius looks like an incredible hero to everyone in the world because he "saved" the world, but to everyone in the party he's just a motherfucker who ruined their lives and is actively out to kill them

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I cant think of anyone who was flimsy explanations for being in the party in Berseria, in fact keeping the party mechanic grounded in the different objectives all the characters have is one of its best aspects.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Colonel posted:

i mean

how would you act if your step brother murdered your only family brutally right in front of you and also seemingly caused you to slaughter everyone you've ever known or loved, and how would you act if this rear end in a top hat savior guy came out of nowhere and subjugated everyone like you to become mindless robot slaves for the purpose of slaughtering demons who it turns out actually do have a certain level of self-awareness and compassion

the point of berseria's story is about perspective in traditional good vs evil and humanizing the unstoppable demon lord, artorius looks like an incredible hero to everyone in the world because he "saved" the world, but to everyone in the party he's just a motherfucker who ruined their lives and is actively out to kill them

Yeah I agree with this, I guess it would have been better to say I'm surprised that they are going with that as their motivation, because it doesn't neccessarily portray them favorably. But I guess the answer is this, which I am a-ok with:

cheetah7071 posted:

The secret to Berseria is you're not the good guys, even when you are

babypolis posted:

I cant think of anyone who was flimsy explanations for being in the party in Berseria, in fact keeping the party mechanic grounded in the different objectives all the characters have is one of its best aspects.

Magilou is literally there because she wants to kill time, and Rokurou is there because you found a sword? I guess eventually most of the characters end up with reasons, but those reasons just happen to be the exact people Velvet was going after in the first place, which seems convenient. Again not that I care because the game is still great. Also I'm not even done with the game so there is probably more to see.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I only just got berseria for christmas but isn't the opening sequence bro killed, village killed, therionized, tossed in a hole for years with beasts that also get thrown down there. I, uh, think that's plenty of establishment for a revenge plot.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
yeah but its like, personal grudge I'm going to kill a shitload of people in the process type revenge. The game hasn't really been explicit about the morality of the quest so I wasn't sure if the game has been expecting you to be the "good" guys or something.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ComposerGuy posted:

I'm way, way late to the party but I finally picked up Persona 5 last week after hearing so much about it.

I've never played a Persona game. I'm about 30 hours in and holy poo poo this game owns. The art direction and music had me immediately, and while the story is no great shakes to this point, the gameplay is fantastic. It's right up my turn-based alley.

I hear it's pretty long, almost too long, is that accurate? Because if so I'm fine with it.

P5 is very long yeah but it's got about the same number of dungeons as P4. Definitely go back and play the previous entries when you complete it -- Persona 4 is my personal choice for the best of the series. P5 is probably the easiest of the three as well, so if you want to sink your teeth into sterner challenges, you'll find them there. P3P had a bunch of super bosses added, though if you only intend to play the game once, I'd recommend the FES version.

Also go look into the main SMT franchise. It got stuck on the 3DS for awhile now, but there's TONS of great games on handhelds, Devil Survivor, Strange Journey and SMTIV. PS2 classics like Nocturne and the Digital Devil Saga series are also basically turn-based combat's ambrosia. DDS2 has some of the best super bosses in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

abagofcheetos posted:

yeah but its like, personal grudge I'm going to kill a shitload of people in the process type revenge. The game hasn't really been explicit about the morality of the quest so I wasn't sure if the game has been expecting you to be the "good" guys or something.
how far in are you because uhh velvet literally sets a town on fire to cover her own escape and you hear the townspeople screaming about how their lives are ruined now. this happens like 6 hours into the game.

velvet isnt meant to be a good person. the entire point of berseria is that even if a person has anger and hate in them, or has done or is doing bad things, they're still a human being. velvet isn't a good person, but she's a person.

also magilou's outfit is great and fits her personality, honestly. She just wouldn't be half as magilou if she had an actual normal outfit. Plus Magilou's so scrawny and gangly that it's hard to think of it as a fanservice outfit.

Amppelix posted:

Uh, you're right about them being different teams, but usually they at least talk to each other. Or have their intentions communicated to each other by other staff members. Especially in the Tales series where character designs and character writing are two of the big selling points. Like, pretty much every tales artbook includes the artists going 'I started from this, was told ____, and so I removed and changed some things.'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 30, 2017