Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Mr.Tophat posted:

fish gently caress fight cell
Mods, my name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

thatguy posted:

Mods, my name.

A username, a username, my shitposting career for a new username!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Season it with Pennzoil or Mobil 1?

There's no taste like fully synthetic taste for your steak pan.

E: on a more serious note, casting iron happens well over 1000 Celsius. There's not much left in the cast except for molten metal

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

There's no taste like fully synthetic taste for your steak pan.

E: on a more serious note, casting iron happens well over 1000 Celsius. There's not much left in the cast except for molten metal

Never forget Ben's first principle : "If it exists, it's edible."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zzr posted:

Never forget Ben's first principle : " it's edible."

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

You know, when people mentioned he keeps all kinds of Chris Roberts merch close to his heart, I never even thought of this possibility.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

"Subsistence," I scream at the bank, hoping this is what a charge back means

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I hope B'Tak reads the thread. Because I'm coming for you. Are you happy with your land protected by UUEEC ? Do you like their fast response ? I'll just come crash a ship from orbit and make your 16x16 a crater. Or maybe you were just mining that time, I'll just come at you yelling "train to zone train to zone" EQ style, with a horde of pirates NPC ready to aggro anyone. Or I'll just fit my firefly with cloak and vanish when you are in their aggro range. When you are dead and after your third crash you'll finally be able to get out of your bed, I'll be behind the door. I'll follow you and be ahead of you when you command your new ship ; I'll be in the pilot seat when you enter your submarine, and 10 seconds later we will both be crashed into the starport, making you a criminal having to serve your time. When you get out of jail and want to mix yourself a relaxing drink, you'll only discover that the lemon juice was my piss. Then you'll crawl to the toilet to puke, but it will have overflown because the guy you hired to clean it was me. Put your pvp slider to 0 and I'll still be here for you B'Tak. Come into the space B'Tak.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

CrazyTolradi posted:

Also, Take Two didn't go bankrupt you idiot, they loving own Bethsoft and a bunch of other studios now days.

Take Two owns Rockstar and 2K. Bethesda is owned by Zenimax.

Yeah, Take Two isn't hurting for money, not by a long shot.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Zzr posted:

Never forget
This was bannable on the RSI forums, right?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Zzr posted:

I hope B'Tak reads the thread. Because I'm coming for you. Are you happy with your land protected by UUEEC ? Do you like their fast response ? I'll just come crash a ship from orbit and make your 16x16 a crater. Or maybe you were just mining that time, I'll just come at you yelling "train to zone train to zone" EQ style, with a horde of pirates NPC ready to aggro anyone. Or I'll just fit my firefly with cloak and vanish when you are in their aggro range. When you are dead and after your third crash you'll finally be able to get out of your bed, I'll be behind the door. I'll follow you and be ahead of you when you command your new ship ; I'll be in the pilot seat when you enter your submarine, and 10 seconds later we will both be crashed into the starport, making you a criminal having to serve your time. When you get out of jail and want to mix yourself a relaxing drink, you'll only discover that the lemon juice was my piss. Then you'll crawl to the toilet to puke, but it will have overflown because the guy you hired to clean it was me. Put your pvp slider to 0 and I'll still be here for you B'Tak. Come into the space B'Tak.

:allears:

This is making me howl

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Which means my new home has legs and I'm gunna puke all over the place watch out

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

This was bannable on the RSI forums, right?
Yes.

:911:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Zzr posted:

Never forget Ben's first principle : "If it exists, it's edible."

Eat the Bobbit Worm.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Beet Wagon posted:

I was thinking about getting one (after reading J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's sous vide steak article) but I don't really have an issue getting a good sear on steak with in a cast iron skillet and I'm not sure what else I'd use it for. I don't torch a lot in the kitchen.

the steak recipe/cast iron chat phase is my second favorite phase in the great and endless cycle of the Star Citizen thread
The more you sous vide, the more you will use it.
I have just the channel for you...

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Hapy New Year everyone. You guys are the best. I hope you chill out a bit Jobo Fett, and Beet Wagon, you need to share your workout routine. Moma, you seem like a good guy at heart so why do you suck so much? Derek Smart, just try to huff less of your own emissions in 2018 and you'll get through ok.

Happy 2018!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Saddest Robot posted:

I was watching a presentation from the some of the DICE artists and there was this slide.

I was going to make a line for star citizen but I have no idea how long it takes them to make an asset.

it's exactly the same, but replace days with years

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Truga posted:

it's exactly the same, but replace days with years
"Admiral, if we go "by the book". like Lieutenant Saavik, hours days could seem like days years."

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zzr posted:

lol if you think Chris is going to simulate realistic crater physics for players kamikazing their ships into moon bases

MAXIMUM FIDELITY

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Wiz posted:

Good news friend, there is a vibrant new movement for sensible centrists.

:eyepop: this is great holy poo poo

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Fatkraken posted:

Eat the Bobbit Worm.

…and the hagfish.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Oh and Bootcha, loved the vid but echoing the sentiments of others, the sound mix is waaaaay off. I like having the background music over at least some scenes, but it's far too loud compared to the narration, keep it if you like but put it far lower in the mix.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Fatkraken posted:

Eat the Bobbit Worm.

I gave mine to the cat to play with. Seriously. My cat doesn't like salt water (apart from looking into it) so it was :flaccid:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I'm a big fan.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sous vide is awesome and fool-proof, and I do it often, though I stepped away from doing it with fish. Fight me, but imo a well prepared and cooked (especially white) fish tastes better than done sous vide. For red fish, it works quite good. Still, I am often going back to doing poo poo "old school" when it's not some super expensive stuff....not because I never managed to do that, but because it don't have to care about anything. Just put it in, go do something else (like develop Star Citizen for 18 years), come back, put a sear on it, and it's awesome.

But I no longer do it with "simple" stuff, because I miss the challenge. Similar to the typical "3-2-1" or "2-1-fire" ribs BBQ, that is so foolproof that it is no longer challenging.

Sous vide when cooking expensive poo poo for a large crowd because "it's easy", but for two or three person meals, I find myself going back to the old stuff quite often, simply because it's more fun.

e: disclaimer: I am also known for having awful opinions

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 30, 2017

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

G0RF posted:

I’m actually going to watch this anew out of my surprise discovery that I really do dig Dan Gheesling. The zealot outcry against his involvement in the show because of his reality show past was, in hindsight, stupid and unfair. But he handled it with class.

The guy is a riot, his videos are better and more enjoyable than any other streamers, and his continuing enthusiasm for the game is unquestionable by now. So I will watch TNGS and mourn that the funny, goofy actual space sim fan got iced out by maladjusted neckbeards who didn’t want to see a guy with minor outside celebrity playing their game and (heaven forbid) possibly drawing in regular people to check out the game.

Yeah, Chris and Sandi were apparently nervous, too. Why else keep it secret for three years? And they would’ve gotten away with it to if it was for that warlord and his meddlesome blog!

Looking back at that show really hits home how they put the chariot in front of the horse.

I know I'm not the only one who thought they were well along with production if they were making high res assets for the game.

Three years later and they are still making the same assets all over again. With no engine to make them for. Maybe three years from now they will finally have the engine built to start the actual final asset production.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Lladre posted:

I know I'm not the only one who thought they were well along with production if they were making high res assets for the game.

You're not the only one - that was exactly my reasoning when I backed. You just don't create assets of that fidelity until the game is nearly finished.

I have to wonder if that implication was intentional on CIG's part, knowing that gamers would reach what seemed to be the logical conclusion, or just an accident due to CR's insistence on seeing everything the way he "envisions."

That's one of the things about Star Citizen that's hard to explain to non-gamers. CIG basically implied success by presenting gamers with things that only they, understanding game development, would be able to put into context as a way of evaluating the state of the project. They showed just enough of the parts you'd see just before commercial release, while hiding away the horribly broken core with lore and photoshopped "screenshots", along with a website that, in every paragraph, implies that all those pictures you're seeing are in the game right now and can be played.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 30, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

I'LL SUCK YO DICK FOR AN IDRIS

P sexist. You should suck dick or oval office to keep everybody happy. Brandon would thank you.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

nnnotime posted:

I know it's not the intent, but ironically, when you think about it, a used-car rental salesman who can pull in $175 million in sales sounds like a pretty good used-car salesman.

Except he doesn't have $175M in sales, he has $175M in engineering and programming debt.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

skaboomizzy posted:

My favorite Star Citizen subplot this year was AMERICAN SATAN

Someone wrote a bit part in their movie for Sandi so they could use her to leech off CIG's equipment and who knows what other resources

Then they just totally cut her from the movie and didn't even bother to tell her so she had to find out by watching it

I want to shake that person's hand, they clearly understand the true meaning of DREAMS

This is the best. :)

Glad they could experience the same treatment they give others with dreams and lies.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ripptide posted:

Except he doesn't have $175M in sales, he has $175M in engineering and programming debt.

Good point - I continually see that misconstrued. Chris Roberts didn't "make" $175 million - he asked for it, and was given it, in exchange for something he isn't qualified to do. So he's sitting on a giant $175 million IOU.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Lladre posted:

Looking back at that show really hits home how they put the chariot in front of the horse.

Three years later and they are still making the same assets all over again. With no engine to make them for. Maybe three years from now they will finally have the engine built to start the actual final asset production.

You’re right. TNGS, much like their recent and divisive “win a pink Star Kitten dragonfly!” Referral contest, really does drive home how peripheral CIG’s marketing apparatus is to development.

So strange when the best educated person in their entire company, the executive with a Master’s education in Marketing courted by colleges world over for a her PhD track, the brainiac who wrote a thesis about international marketing called “International Marketing”, is somehow seemingly developing programming and campaigns in a total vacuum.

To the layman it might suggest total irrelevance and token employment, but of course that can’t be true. There must be some higher order genius at work that only looks like stupidity from outside and so far below.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

tuo posted:

Sous vide is awesome and fool-proof, and I do it often, though I stepped away from doing it with fish. Fight me, but imo a well prepared and cooked (especially white) fish tastes better than done sous vide. For red fish, it works quite good. Still, I am often going back to doing poo poo "old school" when it's not some super expensive stuff....not because I never managed to do that, but because it don't have to care about anything. Just put it in, go do something else (like develop Star Citizen for 18 years), come back, put a sear on it, and it's awesome.

But I no longer do it with "simple" stuff, because I miss the challenge. Similar to the typical "3-2-1" or "2-1-fire" ribs BBQ, that is so foolproof that it is no longer challenging.

Sous vide when cooking expensive poo poo for a large crowd because "it's easy", but for two or three person meals, I find myself going back to the old stuff quite often, simply because it's more fun.

e: disclaimer: I am also known for having awful opinions

Pffffff this is a good opinion

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

P sexist. You should suck dick or oval office to keep everybody happy. Brandon would thank you.
I'LL STIM YOUR GENITALIA FOR SIXTEEN HUNDRED CROBCOIN

FOR ITS THE FUTURE

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm your huckleberry.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Spermanent Record posted:

Hapy New Year everyone. You guys are the best. I hope you chill out a bit Jobo Fett, and Beet Wagon, you need to share your workout routine. Moma, you seem like a good guy at heart so why do you suck so much? Derek Smart, just try to huff less of your own emissions in 2018 and you'll get through ok.

Happy 2018!

I uh... I don't really have a workout routine. I used to run a lot but got real busy with school last semester and quit. But Happy New Year anyways!

And yes, you should buy those glasses. You might look like a dork, but you'll be the coolest dork possible.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Wiz posted:

Good news friend, there is a vibrant new movement for sensible centrists.
This is loving great

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Lladre posted:

It does seem like the vast amount of progress that was made - was done by the guys at Austin and just after the move to LA. It seems like after the wheels came off and Travis Day, Rob and Eric left that very little forward
progress has been made. And what progress has been made was done outside contractors for media reels and marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

So it looks like some people on Reddit have pinpointed the reason (or, at least, one of the reasons) that FPS tanks way worse than even Star Citizen's lovely engine should tank. It turns out that if you have a ship in flight-ready mode, full of cargo and open one of the cargo doors the server shits itself and FPS drops to single digit numbers for everyone.

Looks like this bug is repeatable quite easily:

quote:

Same thing happened to me in a fully loaded Cat. While landed and shut down you could run trough the cargo compartments filled with cargo with 25fps... Once i went to flight ready, it instantly dropped to 5 as I opened the door to the first compartment.

One possible theory is suggested:

quote:

It probably initializes the physics for all the cargo as soon as the flight ready is on. When ships are landed and engines off I think they convert to a static state.

Anyone who owns a cargo jpeg feel like repeating the steps above to kill a server? Please record it if so! (Bonus points if you say "Hey guys, what has 20 players and 0 frames per second? THIS SERVER!" before pushing the button to open your doors :v:).