Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You know you don't have to use iCloud Photos, right? You can just have a local Photos library?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, they haven't removed local library functionality at all. You could still use it like old school iPhoto just as easily.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
But I want it all synced between my phone and computers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Then just use iCloud 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Then just use iCloud 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

And I am using it so what's your point?

e: Since it's a new page let me summarize. Where does Photos.app store imported pictures? Because I can not find them in the same place as pictures taken on my iPhone. I need to know this because I have a billion nested folders of pictures from the past decade and I want to throw them all into Photos.app and let it do it's thing with auto-machine learning or whatever. I also want to backup a non-Photos.app version of all of these pictures, so I need to know where to find them all to copy over to my Dropbox. I was hoping to use the fact that Photos.app would automatically organize and rename all of these pictures into "YYYY/MM/DD" sub-folders so that I didn't have to write my own script to do that.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 29, 2017

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Boris Galerkin posted:

And I am using it so what's your point?

e: Since it's a new page let me summarize. Where does Photos.app store imported pictures? Because I can not find them in the same place as pictures taken on my iPhone. I need to know this because I have a billion nested folders of pictures from the past decade and I want to throw them all into Photos.app and let it do it's thing with auto-machine learning or whatever. I also want to backup a non-Photos.app version of all of these pictures, so I need to know where to find them all to copy over to my Dropbox. I was hoping to use the fact that Photos.app would automatically organize and rename all of these pictures into "YYYY/MM/DD" sub-folders so that I didn't have to write my own script to do that.

/Users/username/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary

It's a package file. Right-click on it and Show Package Contents. Master files are stored in "Masters". Each sub-folder's date is for the date of import, not the date in the EXIF info.

You can also store this entire photo library file in Dropbox if you want, rather than sorting through it manually. Here's an Applescript for finding duplicates: https://scripts.mit.edu/~birge/blog/free-applescript-remove-duplicates-apple-photos-app/

edit: but if you insist there's also this http://www.amok.am/en/freeware/amok_exif_sorter/

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Im using google photos but want to stop and use Apple photos. I wish iCloud didn’t charge for storage :(

I also wish iCloud was as good as Dropbox for documents. I tried using iCloud as my docs folder like I do with Dropbox and it’s just janky. In Dropbox I can touch a file and preview it in iCloud it just downloads it :(

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

GoldfishStew posted:

Im using google photos but want to stop and use Apple photos. I wish iCloud didn’t charge for storage :(

I also wish iCloud was as good as Dropbox for documents. I tried using iCloud as my docs folder like I do with Dropbox and it’s just janky. In Dropbox I can touch a file and preview it in iCloud it just downloads it :(

I'm not sure I follow. If you're using iCloud in macOS the files are still on your computer and don't need to download [except in cases where unused files have been offloaded to saves space]. Regardless, opening a file should, uh, open it – not just download.
Ditto for iOS. Tapping a file in the Files app will download it and open it. Force touch on an iPhone will preview the file, which still has to download.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

GoldfishStew posted:

https://mountainduck.io

It's not too bad considering you don't need different apps for the transferring.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Hello Spaceman posted:

Each sub-folder's date is for the date of import, not the date in the EXIF info.

What the hell this is dumb as gently caress. Why sort by date of import? :lol:

Anyway thanks. This helps a lot.

GoldfishStew posted:

I feel like I had to upgrade to the 50 GB for $1/month plan at some point because iCloud complained about storage space for my iPhone backups, I think. $1/month isn't too terrible and cheap enough that it's a symbolic gesture so I don't know why Apple doesn't just do 50 GB free the default option. My point is if I didn't already pay $1/month for my iPhone backups then I probably wouldn't bother with Photos/iCloud but I have extra space that's not being used so :shrug:

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 30, 2017

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Boris Galerkin posted:

What the hell this is dumb as gently caress. Why sort by date of import? :lol:

Anyway thanks. This helps a lot.

It’s an internal structure not seen by most users and the import date is immutable, unlike the date/time the photo was taken which software generally lets you change.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s also totally useless for typical use cases

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I picked up a few games on macOS that more or less require a gamepad, which is fine -- I own a Dualshock4 and Switch Pro controller -- but I'm assuming the games use Xinput for gamepad use, as neither controller works in-game despite pairing successfully. Does anyone know of a workaround for this? Maybe some macOS Xinput driver hack I haven't been able to track down? (Ideally something free and not a "bind your gamepad to keyboard keys" solution, since I have no clue which keyboard keys do what in these games.)

enojy fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 1, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Only one I know of that works ok is this one, and it is indeed a keyboard mapping app:

https://yukkurigames.com/enjoyable/

I use it along with a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller which is auto recognized by High Sierra to play some NeoGeo emulated games I bought off of Steam.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Binary Badger posted:

Only one I know of that works ok is this one, and it is indeed a keyboard mapping app:

https://yukkurigames.com/enjoyable/

I use it along with a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller which is auto recognized by High Sierra to play some NeoGeo emulated games I bought off of Steam.

Right on. It's looking like I may need to go that route. My Switch controller does work in emulators that allow you to remap keys within the emulator, but the games I bought (Danganronpa 1& 2 on Steam) are your typical ports with no option to bind buttons. Unfortunately, binding buttons in Steam don't translate in-game.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a 27" iMac with two additional tbolt monitors hooked up. I typically keep dock hiding on, but on a whim I turned it off. It now exists on one monitor only. When I mouse down to where the dock WOULD be on another screen, it seems to disappear from the main screen and then pop up on the screen where my mouse cursor is after a second. I can pretty much repeat this as necessary but it feels really clunky -- the dock switching monitors is fine I guess, but it should be instantaneous. Right now it almost feels like the dock is crashing and re-launching every time I mouse over the area where the dock SHOULD be when I mouse over it on a monitor where it doesn't currently exist.

I articulated that exceptionally poorly but hopefully you get what I'm asking. Is this supposed to happen? I can't imagine that's the case. Did I just bug out the Dock somehow?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you turn off "Displays have separate spaces" in Mission Control then I think the Dock can only exist on one monitor, but I am not sure since I don't have a comparable setup to test with. If you Google it, a lot of people have been experiencing weirdness with the Dock when running multiple-monitor setups, especially stacked ones.

See if these guys offer any help:
https://superuser.com/questions/665004/how-do-you-prevent-the-dock-from-switching-monitors-in-macos-sierra
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7826397

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Data Graham posted:

It’s also totally useless for typical use cases

The typical use case for photos.app generally doesn't involve exploring the library using your file system.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

I have a 27" iMac with two additional tbolt monitors hooked up. I typically keep dock hiding on, but on a whim I turned it off. It now exists on one monitor only. When I mouse down to where the dock WOULD be on another screen, it seems to disappear from the main screen and then pop up on the screen where my mouse cursor is after a second. I can pretty much repeat this as necessary but it feels really clunky -- the dock switching monitors is fine I guess, but it should be instantaneous. Right now it almost feels like the dock is crashing and re-launching every time I mouse over the area where the dock SHOULD be when I mouse over it on a monitor where it doesn't currently exist.

I articulated that exceptionally poorly but hopefully you get what I'm asking. Is this supposed to happen? I can't imagine that's the case. Did I just bug out the Dock somehow?

I just tested this with one tbolt display and it is doing the same thing, so I'm going to go with it should be happening. The dock even sits there until I request it back on the other display.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Martytoof posted:

The bottom dock gets summoned to another screen when the cursor's as low as it can go and you move it a bit farther down, presumably to prevent you from accidentally switching it by simply leaving the cursor at the bottom of the screen. I think there's also a cool down so you don't switch it too quickly by moving the cursor from the bottom of one screen to another by accident as well.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 2, 2018

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah ok, thanks. That seems super clunky, especially since if it's hidden I can instantly unhide it on any given monitor. Oh well, just Apple things v:)v

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It is a bit clunky for sure. It was waaaay worse when the dock switching was first introduced and they still haven't quite made it feel right

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If you know it's a gesture it makes sense (swipe down from the bottom edge on the monitor where you want the dock to be). If you don't know it's a gesture though, it's utterly maddening because there's seemingly no way to fix it manually and no way to even articulate it in a way that lets you find help for it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Honestly if they gave me the option to mirror the dock across all three screens I would enable it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Martytoof posted:

Honestly if they gave me the option to mirror the dock across all three screens I would enable it.

So god damned the same

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I'm reading in news articles (and here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208394) that there is a 'mitigation' for these new CPU exploits in 10.13.2, but the App Store app doesn't see any new updates, and it looks like my last 10.13.2 update hasn't been since Dec 15. Do I have to manually apply this patch somehow?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I'm reading in news articles (and here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208394) that there is a 'mitigation' for these new CPU exploits in 10.13.2, but the App Store app doesn't see any new updates, and it looks like my last 10.13.2 update hasn't been since Dec 15. Do I have to manually apply this patch somehow?

The exploit has been known about since what, June? It was probably shipped with 10.13.2 to begin with.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Double Map was introduced with 10.13.2. That is the fix for Meltdown in macOS.

skull mask mcgee posted:

The exploit has been known about since what, June? It was probably shipped with 10.13.2 to begin with.
Correct, Project Zero shared this with Intel and other CPU manufacturers back on June last year. In turn, as partners, Intel likely informed OS vendors. The reason for the panic drop is the linux kernel patch in essence spelled out the entire vulnerability in the source code comments making the disclosure embargo moot at that point.

Now this does not address the related Spectre variants. But this does mitigate against Meltdown (which is what all the other OS patches being released address as well).

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 5, 2018

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I see, thanks all -- I didn't realize the exploit was known (at least privately in the industry) for 6 months. Just got caught up in the media hysteria

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I see, thanks all -- I didn't realize the exploit was known (at least privately in the industry) for 6 months. Just got caught up in the media hysteria

Just a tip for the future when tech sites and twitter starts to freak out, just come to the HC/SC InfoSec thread and see what their take is. You'll probably see a less hysterical analysis than what you'll see on twitter during the first 24 hours. Hell, YOSPOS SecFuck thread will usually have some people who can take a really deep dive into the whatfors and whys.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Any specific settings I need to enable to get my 2011 macbook pro to wake via usb (mouse or keyboard)? It's running the most updates for OSX, and I don't know if it's my monitor being lovely or something I missed but if the display turns off it doesn't sync up reliably unless I do a full power-off. It's connected to the monitor via an HDMI-displayport adapter.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Generally speaking, when an industry firm discovers it (Google in this case), they're doing responsible disclosure behind the scenes. That's why this stuff was patched shortly before/after announced. OSS is in a weirder position though... :(.

Source: I work at a big software firm that sees this poo poo and tries to deal with it well before it turns into the public shitshow the media makes it out to be.

EDIT: emphasis.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Hey I’m sorry to be annoying and ask again, but what is the case against setting up a standard user account on a personal Mac in addition to an admin account to be used for daily use? Trying to be more secure and all that in the new year.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

GoldfishStew posted:

Hey I’m sorry to be annoying and ask again, but what is the case against setting up a standard user account on a personal Mac in addition to an admin account to be used for daily use? Trying to be more secure and all that in the new year.

Some perceived loss of convenience/having to type your password in occasionally.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

GoldfishStew posted:

The case against is that it doesn’t do much for most home computer users. Usually the worst threat to a home computer user is a hacker gaining access to files containing sensitive data (financial or tax records etc). If you set up just two accounts, a daily driver and a special one you only use for sysadmin, the separation of sysadmin powers doesn’t do anything to protect sensitive data. It only prevents an attacker from gaining greater control over your computer’s OS (and “prevents” is too strong, it’s really a maybe), which just doesn’t mean much on a personal computer.

The whole Unix user account security model dates from a time when computers were all institutionally owned behemoths used by hundreds of users logged in through terminals. Back then the main security concern was protecting those users from each other, rather than from outsiders stealing their credit card info (which nobody was storing on a computer anyways). In that context it mattered whether a security breach was contained to one account, but that’s an irrelevant way to look at security for the vast majority of people using a personal computer in today’s world.

So, to get real benefits from separate user accounts, you have to go further. You have to use whole accounts as isolation containers for activities you don’t want to mix. One account for banking, one for porn browsing, etc. You truly compartmentalize each account’s access to data so that any account used to do something relatively risky (eg web) can’t see files you don’t want stolen. That’s a giant pain in the rear end and most people don’t want to do it.

An alternative is using nothing but apps downloaded from Apple’s App Store. The sandboxing required by the store provides task based data isolation in an automated and mostly invisible way without going to the trouble of setting up multiple accounts. But! Any non sandboxed app can be the path for getting pwned since it can read anything stored in your user account.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Convenience comes to mind. That’s probably a minor point because you can give the admin creds when they’re needed.

My other concern would be a false sense of security. There are definitely other things you should do in the interest of security (two-factor, account hygiene, making good decisions about who you share your data with).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

If anything it’ll help you start to realize what actions you do on your computer takes admin access, and that itself might be enough to help you “be safer.” Maybe. (Eg, maybe you’d think twice about running the totally safe “the_best_porn.avi.jar” file you just downloaded if it’s saying you need admin access to watch the video).

In practice I think just setting up a strong password, with 2FA, and then being extremely cautious about why exactly you’re entering your password then it’s just as good for a home user.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

nitsuga posted:

Convenience comes to mind. That’s probably a minor point because you can give the admin creds when they’re needed.

My other concern would be a false sense of security. There are definitely other things you should do in the interest of security (two-factor, account hygiene, making good decisions about who you share your data with).

Just checked and my account is classed as admin but I still have to put in my password when I'm installing like, a helper tool or something. What prompts does having a standard account add? I'm guessing when you put stuff in the applications folder etc?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

Just checked and my account is classed as admin but I still have to put in my password when I'm installing like, a helper tool or something. What prompts does having a standard account add? I'm guessing when you put stuff in the applications folder etc?

It just doesn't let you do it without an admin username/password. If you know the admin password, it changes literally nothing, since admin accounts don't run elevated, they are just sudoers.

You can still put stuff in the Applications folder, just ~/Applications (yours), not /Applications (system wide).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Because of Meltdown/Specter, I broke down and installed High Sierra on my laptop.

6 hours later, I was puking my guts out thanks to stomach flu of some sort.

Coincidence? I think not!