Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pants Donkey posted:

Is that the raises my dad was bringing up at Christmas? he asked if my job was going to be doing raises, to which I had to not laugh,

I was standing in line at the supermarket yesterday behind a lady who was proudly announcing to all the cashiers that, "They just announced it on the news, Trump signed that tax bill, and companies like Amazon and yours are giving out $1,000 bonuses to their employees! AND a big tax cut! Enjoy it, you deserve it!"

Also she kept getting her PIN wrong, so she spent like five minutes trying to convince everyone they'd be getting fat checks.

Edit: Just to clarify, the companies who've been riding the tax bill press cycle are:
  • AT&T ($1,000 bonus they already negotiated with their union, followed by firing over a thousand employees)
  • Comcast ($1,000 bonus, raising their rates next year -- maybe it's not related to the net neutrality stuff? Perhaps?)
  • Sinclair Broadcast Group ($1,000 bonus, the right-wing TV group about to buy Tribune Media)
  • Bank of America ($1,000 bonus)
  • Fifth Third Bank ($1,000 bonus and also raising employee wages to $15/hour where applicable, but I don't know where they exist?)

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
AT&T is also raising their rates on home internet and DirecTV.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Fifth Third Bank ($1,000 bonus and also raising employee wages to $15/hour where applicable, but I don't know where they exist?)
Pittsburgh has them, so I actually know this - HQ is in Cincinnati and they serve a large chunk of the Midwest and on down to Georgia and Florida. If that's an actual raise, it will likely be meaningful if bank employees typically make state minimum.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

FronzelNeekburm posted:

[*]Fifth Third Bank ($1,000 bonus and also raising employee wages to $15/hour where applicable, but I don't know where they exist?)[/list]

Does that work out to being the seventh bank or the fifteenth? :thunk:

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

All elements past Uranium are artificial. AGC.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
No clue what he's on about this time. People who think christmas should just be about being together with family or whatever are people who buy scented soaps?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

[Screaming Internally]

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Prickly City is just going to be "wow, everything's so bad, why so bad? :saddowns:" every day until either a Democrat or a Republican who isn't Trump is President, huh.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
He'll magically find his spine once dems have control.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

No clue what he's on about this time. People who think christmas should just be about being together with family or whatever are people who buy scented soaps?

Someone gave him scented soaps for Christmas once and now he's whining about it like the huge shithead that he is. Remember, Tinsley has a history of using his strip as a way to publicly whine about personal poo poo.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
"Why do people keep giving me scented soaps for Christmas!?"

*opens another Johnnie Walker Red*

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Prickly City just seems so bland compared to other comics. Is someone paying the artist to make those?

I mean Branco is a loving rear end in a top hat but the stuff he makes is certainly not bland or boring.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think it's a combination of "wingnut welfare" and "newspaper strips with inertia cannot be dislodged even with nuclear weapons and will continue running even if the original creator's great grandson's roomate's third cousin's oboe teacher is the one doing the work."

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Incredible. Truly incredible.

Like a fine wine this one never gets old.

and neither do the babies :black101:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

No!! Not Nancy Pelosi! How will we survive?!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Remember when Obamacare imploded.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ramirez, your guys are in power, how can you still be going on about the debt when they're the ones setting the budget did you miss the loving memo

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Somfin posted:

Ramirez, your guys are in power, how can you still be going on about the debt when they're the ones setting the budget did you miss the loving memo

Well, you see, if democrats hadn't passed such wasteful spending schemes like SNAP, WIC or CHIP, then DEBT wouldn't be such an insurmountable problem that the heroic efforts of the GOP have to tackle year after year. Furthermore...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pelosi and Schuemer are at least leadership (of the powerless minority party) but how disingenuous do you have to be to list Warren as one of the problems in 20 loving 17?

I feel like I'm seeing more criticism of what a talentless hack Micheal "two Pulitzers" Ramirez is outside of this thread at least. He's one of those guys that devalues the award he's been given with his sheer mediocrity.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like how Zelda is always with some dreamy dude, despite being probably the ugliest person in the comic roster and poor grooming.
edit
I guess it's like a subversion of the "subpar guywith a hot gf" trope?

Stickfigure fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 30, 2017

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Stickfigure posted:

I like how Zelda is always with some dreamy dude, despite being probably the ugliest person in the comic roster and poor grooming.
edit
I guess it's like a subversion of the "subpar guywith a hot gf" trope?

The funnier thing is last comic she explicitly said she wasn't interested and didn't want to hang out with him just because he bought them drinks but a couple of wines later and her terrible life choices gland kicks in.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lurdiak posted:

Remember when Obamacare imploded.

Yeah it was a little over a week ago when the republicans unilaterally passed legislation repealing the individual mandate

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Somfin posted:

It might at least be AGC a cartoon intersecting this reality on any level if the caricatures were both Trump like every other hack did in their cartoons. But Ramirez. :shrug:

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Prism posted:

Does that work out to being the seventh bank or the fifteenth? :thunk:

I think it's actually the One-and-two-thirdsth bank.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I like how the art style is different

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

I like how the art style is different

Old Zelda art is so much better than the newer stuff.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Sardine Wit posted:

The funnier thing is last comic she explicitly said she wasn't interested and didn't want to hang out with him just because he bought them drinks but a couple of wines later and her terrible life choices gland kicks in.

isnt that the bf she dumped a while back??

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Did Obama care Implosion happen?
Or does Ramirez think it happened because it's Obama Care so it has to be bad?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bombadilillo posted:

Did Obama care Implosion happen?
Or does Ramirez think it happened because it's Obama Care so it has to be bad?

It didn't happen yet, but it's going to happen when the tax cut bill's repeal of the individual mandate goes into effect.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

It's going to ruin the individual market, but most of the rest of the ACA will be fine. It's just... Well, we don't need to guess how it goes when the only to get health insurance is through your job or through Medicaid. We did it in the 90s, and it sucked.

At least the Medicaid expansion still exists (for the states that took it).

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Somfin posted:

Tbf he drew this for the Daily Signal, which is wingnut welfare hacks all the way down. He's not intellectually honest, but he knows his audience isn't either.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Tibalt posted:

It's going to ruin the individual market, but most of the rest of the ACA will be fine. It's just... Well, we don't need to guess how it goes when the only to get health insurance is through your job or through Medicaid. We did it in the 90s, and it sucked.

At least the Medicaid expansion still exists (for the states that took it).

Lol at states bravely refusing the money for sick people because Obama.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

According to that globe, all vegetation on Earth has died, so maybe it really is that bad in the Prickly City timeline.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bombadilillo posted:

Lol at states bravely refusing the money for sick people because Obama.

That poo poo was pretty amazing at the time. Now it seems quaint.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Lurdiak posted:

The sad thing is it's working. My wife still gets friends from South Carolina ranting about how Obamacare didn't do poo poo for them, and they have to patiently explain that it's because they're in the Medicaid gap and SC refused to expand.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lurdiak posted:

Nah its still a brazen gently caress of a move.
Literally killing your constituents for the sake of optics.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on politicians in need of an NHS 'drunk tank' – The chief executive of NHS England says more ‘drunk tanks’ could be set up to keep intoxicated people out of overstretched hospitals" After Joel Goodman.

Telegraph:

New Year Honours 2017: Ringo Starr, Barry Gibb, Nick Clegg and Darcey Bussell recognised by the Queen

Independent:

Trump's call for some 'good old global warming' ridiculed by climate experts

Times:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Lurdiak posted:

It's not so great if you live there.

• Locked thread