Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Uh, can you get kuru from eating placenta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Spanish Manlove posted:

You can only get Kuru from brain tissue

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tardcore posted:

That's what I keep reading during the cursory google but am still curious.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

VanSandman posted:

Elise also wrote the treatise on elf-dicks that used Tolkein lore to justify her rambling.

She is a little terrifying.

Not only was that a gutbustingly :wtf: read, the end results were quite majestic...ly :nws:.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Tardcore posted:

Not true. Prions are most concentrated in CNS tissue but can be found elsewhere including blood tissue. But you're less likely to acquire a prion disease from a placenta than a brain so go for it Manlove.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

VanSandman posted:

Elise also wrote the treatise on elf-dicks that used Tolkein lore to justify her rambling.

She is a little terrifying.

Her elf-dick research was impressive, but it was just laying down groundwork for the elf-vagina theory which IMHO should be considered 100% canon because that is some :nms: Grade A body horror :nms:

Weird dildoes are a dime-a-dozen, but if she ever made a Galadriel fleshlight.. goddamn that'd be some H. R. Giger poo poo. So that ought to count for something.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

Naw there are not (jeez i hope) any prions in placentas

I just had a placenta burrito and now I'm worried.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Labes for days posted:

Not true. Prions are most concentrated in CNS tissue but can be found elsewhere including blood tissue. But you're less likely to acquire a prion disease from a placenta than a brain so go for it Manlove.

Damnit all to hell

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

Naw there are not (jeez i hope) any prions in placentas

I just had a placenta burrito and now I'm worried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAtfPurGxF8

1:13. the linking time thing isn't working for whatever reason

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

syscall girl posted:

Damnit all to hell
Don't worry - there's also prions in regular burritos.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Well the fact she followed through with it goes above and beyond most goons. Plus she got a whole new person out of it!

soon she can move up to regular cannibalism

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
a "the goon doctor" superstar emerges

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This is a legitimate concern about humans eating the placenta. The bacteria can be passed from mother to child via lactation and while typically it won’t harm an adult, a new baby doesn’t have the immunities yet.

That’s not even kind of true. A baby receives its circulating antibodies from its mother, which provide some protection for the first six months of its life while the thymus begins developing active immunity. Mothers can pass antibodies through breast milk, and she’s already immune to the flora that would be present in her own placenta and hence has antibodies to them, which would also be circulating in the baby due to inherited passive immunity. Foreign bacteria present in literally any other food would pose far greater risk than the mother eating a piece of herself, and to my knowledge people don’t eat the placenta raw anyway. Outside of the hippie connection to your higher motherhood or whatever the gently caress they peddle it as, the placenta is a highly vascularized tissue with an astonishingly high iron content, and the driving theory behind why a lot of mammals will devour it is that it combats anemia by restoring a significant portion of the iron lost from bleeding during the birthing process. Of course, in the modern age you could just take supplements, but who gives a gently caress if she wants to eat it?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

On top of that, killing bacteria is like reason #2 we cook food in the first place.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Heath posted:

That’s not even kind of true. A baby receives its circulating antibodies from its mother, which provide some protection for the first six months of its life while the thymus begins developing active immunity. Mothers can pass antibodies through breast milk, and she’s already immune to the flora that would be present in her own placenta and hence has antibodies to them, which would also be circulating in the baby due to inherited passive immunity. Foreign bacteria present in literally any other food would pose far greater risk than the mother eating a piece of herself, and to my knowledge people don’t eat the placenta raw anyway. Outside of the hippie connection to your higher motherhood or whatever the gently caress they peddle it as, the placenta is a highly vascularized tissue with an astonishingly high iron content, and the driving theory behind why a lot of mammals will devour it is that it combats anemia by restoring a significant portion of the iron lost from bleeding during the birthing process. Of course, in the modern age you could just take supplements, but who gives a gently caress if she wants to eat it?

Nobody gives a gently caress that she chose to eat it, but the CDC doesn't agree with you. Neither does the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Elise did it as a healthcare professional who knew the risks; plenty of other women buy into the "health benefits" that have absolutely no basis in fact and can in fact cause harm.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The CDC article doesn’t name the source of the contamination specifically, and the AJOG article requires a purchase to read so it may go into more detail, but the problem seems to be that there’s no accepted way to prepare it that is known to remove all of the pathogens. Plus I don’t know if there is any actual FDA oversight regarding the procedure of capsulizing the placenta, which makes me wonder if the contamination could have come from the prep site itself (which may be an actual facility or some yup mom’s kitchen.) Is there more than one case of it happening?

Feel free to PM me if you care to, although the placenta discussion seems to be going on in at least three threads rn

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
not a good thread to read when hungry

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Persistent Hamprince posted:

not a good thread to read when hungry

Literally eating cereal when placentachat fires up

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Not gonna lie, when I first read about this my brain corrected placenta to polenta. I don't know which one would make a worse chili to be honest.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not gonna lie, when I first read about this my brain corrected placenta to polenta. I don't know which one would make a worse chili to be honest.

I bet polenta would go great with chili considering how delicious cornbread is with it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

I bet polenta would go great with chili considering how delicious cornbread is with it.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how-to-make/three-bean-chili-polenta-pot-pie/

obv if you have a great chili recipe use that but the principle is sound

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

https://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how-to-make/three-bean-chili-polenta-pot-pie/

obv if you have a great chili recipe use that but the principle is sound

Thank you so much. This has made my day.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Labes for days posted:

Nobody gives a gently caress that she chose to eat it, but the CDC doesn't agree with you. Neither does the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Both of those are specifically about capsules of placenta and the CDC explicitly states that the issue was that there were no preparatory standards for making them and as a result the placenta was not properly heated (cooked) during the process to kill infectious agents, and recommends doing so.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ghostlight posted:

Both of those are specifically about capsules of placenta and the CDC explicitly states that the issue was that there were no preparatory standards for making them and as a result the placenta was not properly heated (cooked) during the process to kill infectious agents, and recommends doing so.

Lol

Kim Kardashian West tweeted about eating her placenta in a bid to get people to download her app.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

How bad do you have to be to shill for yourself

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghostlight posted:

How bad do you have to be to shill for yourself

I think it's called promoting your personal brand. :capitalism:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Goons will derail literally anything to be about food, unfortunately.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is there anything wrong with that?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Is there anything wrong with that?

Makes me hungry?

So not really, my doc says I'm good on the bmi and liver functions so :toot:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think you will find that food is the least objectionable thing that goons derail threads into.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I think you will find that food is the least objectionable thing that goons derail threads into.

Yes, but do you eat the food over the top or around the back?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Besesoth posted:

Yes, but do you eat the food over the top or around the back?

I eat 30% of the food

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Hot dog sandwiches remind me of circumsized weiners and I object to both!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rough Lobster posted:

This is the SA forums, not the Silent Hill wiki.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

I end up reading that whole thing whenever it's linked, and it continues to be funny.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Proteus Jones posted:

I end up reading that whole thing whenever it's linked, and it continues to be funny.

VoidBurger just roasts the ever loving poo poo out of the guy and I love it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rough Lobster posted:

actually i believe youll find that hotdogs arent circumcised.

cigars are, though

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

RFC2324 posted:

I thought it was some giant city park in SF, like maybe golden gate park(which is apparently big enough to actually have bison living in it and is over 1000 acres)?

this is from forever ago but as the guy who retraced muerte's steps with a camera and a burrito, seeking the cart, it was Bear Valley and trails near it in the Point Reyes National Seashore. my hike ended up being around 14 miles, IIRC.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

atomicthumbs posted:

this is from forever ago but as the guy who retraced muerte's steps with a camera and a burrito, seeking the cart, it was Bear Valley and trails near it in the Point Reyes National Seashore. my hike ended up being around 14 miles, IIRC.

I could have sworn everyone was saying it was just a city park, but looking at this on a map it seems like a legit National Park of quite some size.

Slightly less sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Grassy Knowles posted:

oh my loving god, how had i never seen that