Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

When you have a hold full of economy cattle class passengers all heading for the same system and one of them messages the pilot to request a destination change; yeah sorry buddy buy a better ticket next time :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I got a message asking if I’d like to ship all my economy class passengers to a neighboring station and sell them as slaves for a bonus. I almost did it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Katsuma posted:

I just want to say, whoever told us about the Parutis-Medb Passenger Gold Rush Bonanza is a top notch gentleman. I've gone from 130 million in the bank to over a billion in the past week, usually only doing one or two runs a day at over a hundo mil a pop.

Now I just need three more levels of Fed Rank for that Vette. :shepicide:

How are you doing the runs? It's a bit of a trek.

Also, might as well get the conda unless you really really want the vette. Or at least get the conda for the Engineering.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Nice piece of fish posted:

How are you doing the runs? It's a bit of a trek.

Also, might as well get the conda unless you really really want the vette. Or at least get the conda for the Engineering.

Already got a A-fitted and engineered Anaconda, and I love it, but I've wanted the Vette since I started playing. I've actually been using it to do the Parutis-Medb run, since it's got plenty of room for economy class cabins. Stowing my fuel scoop and other unnecessary gear gave me enough room for over 100 passengers. I've been running them out of Evan's Port in Parutis, and been board flipping for tourists/aid workers/refugees/etc bound for Vela dock in Medb. Lie Silo is alright too, since it's pretty much next door to Vela. Anyways, the basic passengers usually go for upwards of 1 million per head. Just need to remember to take off before the mission time limits breach 50 minutes to expiration, since it takes about 35 minutes to get to Vela. Once I'm in supercruise and on my way, I've just been watching Voidburger streams of The Evil Within 2 on my second monitor and chilling out.
From when I start accepting passengers, including board flipping every fifteen minutes to fill the cabins, to when I finally offload in Vela, usually takes me an hour and a half at most, and gets around 90-100 million per run. When I started, it was closer to 50-60 million per run; before I got my reputation up with the factions at Evans port, that was usually all the passengers I could get before I had to take off to meet the deadlines.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Edit: Apologies. Accidental double-post. >.<

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Katsuma posted:

Already got a A-fitted and engineered Anaconda, and I love it, but I've wanted the Vette since I started playing. I've actually been using it to do the Parutis-Medb run, since it's got plenty of room for economy class cabins. Stowing my fuel scoop and other unnecessary gear gave me enough room for over 100 passengers. I've been running them out of Evan's Port in Parutis, and been board flipping for tourists/aid workers/refugees/etc bound for Vela dock in Medb. Lie Silo is alright too, since it's pretty much next door to Vela. Anyways, the basic passengers usually go for upwards of 1 million per head. Just need to remember to take off before the mission time limits breach 50 minutes to expiration, since it takes about 35 minutes to get to Vela. Once I'm in supercruise and on my way, I've just been watching Voidburger streams of The Evil Within 2 on my second monitor and chilling out.
From when I start accepting passengers, including board flipping every fifteen minutes to fill the cabins, to when I finally offload in Vela, usually takes me an hour and a half at most, and gets around 90-100 million per run. When I started, it was closer to 50-60 million per run; before I got my reputation up with the factions at Evans port, that was usually all the passengers I could get before I had to take off to meet the deadlines.

Thank you very much, and hilariously I'm doing the exact same thing in the exact same boat. Good to know I'm at least not doing it wrong. Best way to play the game is doing something else in the background. Gonna get to elite trader very soon.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

gender illusionist posted:

Picked this up in the steam sale. I was a huge fan of Frontier in my teens and I'm super pumped about playing. Any tips for starting out? Is it a good idea to jump direct into online play?

Yes, just start flailing around in open is the most fun! If you are totally lost, check out Isinona or ObsidianAnt on youtube, they have great overviews of the types of things you can do in game.

Also join Diamond Frogs and get in the discord, other goons make this game 1000x better!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Keep in mind that ObsidianAnt is like the ur-Forum Dad tho.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also join Diamond Frogs and get in the discord, other goons make this game 1000x better!

I second this, the frogs are great and will provide all the to-do-ness the game lacks once you run out of fun.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kramjacks posted:

It would be cool if you could. So I'm going to assume that you can't.
On the other hand the artists and asset designers at Frontier are actually good at their job, so it wouldn't surprise me if the lights (and bobbleheads) were visible to other players getting close enough.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

radintorov posted:

On the other hand the artists and asset designers at Frontier are actually good at their job, so it wouldn't surprise me if the lights (and bobbleheads) were visible to other players getting close enough.

Considering hud color changes are visible, I'd bet the lights are as well!

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

They're not.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Considering hud color changes are visible, I'd bet the lights are as well!

<narrator>

They’re not.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
But can a multicrew player see them in your ship?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Speaking of HUD colors, what colors do other VR peeps find work best? I always forget that you can change them, so I haven't experimented at all.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

But can a multicrew player see them in your ship?

Trick question, no one uses multicrew.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm so jealous of PC players that can change their HUD colors, space-orange burns my eyes out.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
I wish there was a way to block out the sun more, so it doesn't completely drown out your UI when its in front of you. Fighting on nav points can be a pain.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I did a purple HUD for a while. Went back to orange (technically red). Debating switching it up again.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If you don’t do like a blue-white UI while flying a Gutamaya ship, you should get a fine from the space police for an equipment violation.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Anime Store Adventure posted:

If you don’t do like a blue-white UI while flying a Gutamaya ship, you should get a fine from the space police for an equipment violation.

Honestly, that ships don't have individual default colored huds and huds also not being easily changeable in-game is a terrible mistake.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Welllllll let's see, I'm flying around outer space, so I use the default colors which were designed to not disrupt night vision

edit: VVV no, it's just something that's not really meant to be done, and some color combinations make various elements of the UI look hosed up

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 30, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I tried changing my colors once and it made certain interface elements (like photos and logos) look weird. Did I do something wrong?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is that true even against larger ships? Thought the huge weapons did extra dps against those

That only really matters with C1 and C2 weapons vs. C3 weapons. C3 and above and it doesn't really matter how hard the target's hull is, they usually have enough penetration to make it not matter.

What really makes the Corvette suck is the lovely placement of the hardpoints. Those huge hardpoints are awkwardly placed.

Incidentally, it's all down to personal preference anyway. I still prefer to slug it out in my loving Vulture, a ship I've had since I started playing in October of 2015.

https://clips.twitch.tv/WittyHappyPlumNinjaGrumpy

This clip demonstrates precisely why I still fly it.

Seriously look at this thing. It's a flying judas priest album cover:

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 30, 2017

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

That only really matters with C1 and C2 weapons vs. C3 weapons. C3 and above and it doesn't really matter how hard the target's hull is, they usually have enough penetration to make it not matter.

What really makes the Corvette suck is the lovely placement of the hardpoints. Those huge hardpoints are awkwardly placed.

Incidentally, it's all down to personal preference anyway. I still prefer to slug it out in my loving Vulture, a ship I've had since I started playing in October of 2015.

https://clips.twitch.tv/WittyHappyPlumNinjaGrumpy

This clip demonstrates precisely why I still fly it.

Seriously look at this thing. It's a flying judas priest album cover:
The huge hardpoints on the Vette are perfectly placed, it's all the others that are bad. The Vette could probably stand to lose its medium hardpoints and gain an additional large, ideally placing the larges where the smalls currently are and moving the smalls to where the mediums are. It'd still probably end up with slightly less firepower than the Conda but it'd be more focused around one thing (bigger guns for fighting bigger ships).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

Speaking of HUD colors, what colors do other VR peeps find work best? I always forget that you can change them, so I haven't experimented at all.

Always add some green to have better clarity on small font, due to the pentile displays in VR sets. Other than that, anything goes IME.

e: This is a pentile display, as you can see there's much more green subpixels than red/blue

Truga fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 30, 2017

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Mercurius posted:

The huge hardpoints on the Vette are perfectly placed, it's all the others that are bad. The Vette could probably stand to lose its medium hardpoints and gain an additional large, ideally placing the larges where the smalls currently are and moving the smalls to where the mediums are. It'd still probably end up with slightly less firepower than the Conda but it'd be more focused around one thing (bigger guns for fighting bigger ships).

Agreed, the placement of the huge hardpoints is the one thing on the corvette they did unequivocally right. Being top mounted gives them a huge field of view because you're almost always pulling up towards your target in a dogfight. They're also about as close together as is physically possible for great convergence. Every other ship's huge hardpoint is a chore to use by comparison.

But that large hardpoint is horribly awkward, I wish we could get C3 guided missiles or something.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
poo poo. Yeah, I'm gonna have to start doing some Fed Navy rank because I want to go visit sol and such. Also, I have to try the Corvette just to see if I like it better so I might as well.

Is there a current good way to do rank? Is it still feasible to donate to get rank?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Nice piece of fish posted:

poo poo. Yeah, I'm gonna have to start doing some Fed Navy rank because I want to go visit sol and such. Also, I have to try the Corvette just to see if I like it better so I might as well.

Is there a current good way to do rank? Is it still feasible to donate to get rank?

Rank grind is hard these days...there are one or two spots where data missions are still pretty prevalent, you may try Sothis/Ceos if that is still going. Or pax missions out at Quince. Donation missions are good but understand you get the same rank increase for a 25k donation as a 1m donation, so decide what your cutoff is based on your liquid cash!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Does dumping a poo poo-ton of exploration data at a superpower station count towards ranking?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Katsuma posted:

I just want to say, whoever told us about the Parutis-Medb Passenger Gold Rush Bonanza is a top notch gentleman. I've gone from 130 million in the bank to over a billion in the past week, usually only doing one or two runs a day at over a hundo mil a pop.

Now I just need three more levels of Fed Rank for that Vette. :shepicide:

So I decided to jump in over from the frontier to actually make some cash and after selling a bunch of data to them to get allied the first mission that popped up was 16 passengers for 20m. poo poo is crazy.

E: Type-7 cabin'd out is great with 148 passengers.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Does dumping a poo poo-ton of exploration data at a superpower station count towards ranking?

Nope. Only towards superpower relations and the primary holder of the station's minor faction.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 31, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Man, the FGS is such a good Assassination rig. I know they aren't the fastest way to make money but I've been grabbing assassin missions for Diamond Frogs and the FGS is the perfect balance of maneuverability, frame shift speediness, and absolute kill. I also really enjoy getting targets down to 5% and letting my fighter finish them off like food for my young.

I do hope carriers come into this game at some point, or at least very large multi-multicrew ships. I always come back to this picture thinking a retrofuturist command deck like this would be amazing in this game:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm still a new player and dabbler, picked up an Adder and am just messing around and enjoying the experience. I wonder if heading to Diamond Frog space and doing missions for them is any drat different from doing loyalty missions for anyone else? Like does it open up/block ships or revenue streams or whatever to anyone else? Or is that area of space somehow not as lucrative or interesting in some way?

Mostly I'm just figuring if the game has lasting appeal for me I may as well be on good terms with the AI-controlled faction? Or does that matter? Does anything?

I almost hate for the game to be that generic--"grind here, grind there, doesn't matter, the whole universe is 30 flavors of vanilla, we want you to be able to do anything so no gamer can feel a moment's anxiety about it." That philosophy is present in how modules can be exchanged with no loss in value or wear and tear, or how rebuys have just the faintest sting (both of these are good design choices, though).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress the permit requiring Col systems so much :argh:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

doctorfrog posted:

I almost hate for the game to be that generic--"grind here, grind there, doesn't matter, the whole universe is 30 flavors of vanilla, we want you to be able to do anything so no gamer can feel a moment's anxiety about it." That philosophy is present in how modules can be exchanged with no loss in value or wear and tear, or how rebuys have just the faintest sting (both of these are good design choices, though).

The main thing that gives meaning to DFrog missions is that we've decided they're more meaningful, and we like trying to direct the faction to take over systems of interest.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I'm still a new player and dabbler, picked up an Adder and am just messing around and enjoying the experience. I wonder if heading to Diamond Frog space and doing missions for them is any drat different from doing loyalty missions for anyone else? Like does it open up/block ships or revenue streams or whatever to anyone else? Or is that area of space somehow not as lucrative or interesting in some way?

Mostly I'm just figuring if the game has lasting appeal for me I may as well be on good terms with the AI-controlled faction? Or does that matter? Does anything?

The game suffers from a ton of decisions having to go through "well, this would be great in a singleplayer game but elite is a MMO! :downs:". There's very few things you can affect permanently due to that.

There's effectively no difference between faction A and faction B, other than controlled systems (and potentially system permits), ships are only blocked off by superpower faction (Federation, Empire, and Alliance if they ever become relevant :v:). Getting higher ranking in a faction does allow for more profitable missions but that's about it.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Joining DF and just chilling in discord with people and everyone working toward a common goal has renewed my interest in the game 10 times.

I'm on the ps4 and I'm not grouping up with anyone in discord because they are mostly on pc but still having a ball because I know we are working together through the bgs. it's really exciting.

I believe the end game isn't thargoids or powerplay. it's working with like minded individuals and getting poo poo done.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Rank grind is hard these days...there are one or two spots where data missions are still pretty prevalent, you may try Sothis/Ceos if that is still going. Or pax missions out at Quince. Donation missions are good but understand you get the same rank increase for a 25k donation as a 1m donation, so decide what your cutoff is based on your liquid cash!

God damnit. Thanks though. Would be wonderful if there was an easy way, but I guess I'll just start doing missions and see how much incidental progress I can make. Rank system seems like it needs an overhaul, then again the entire game does just to get away from the grind and get things worth spending money and effort on. Like mats and money for your own personal base, extraction bases, asteroid bases, moonbases and poo poo. Just, something.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

DFrog chat: Ah ok, well I may as well hang out in Diamond Frog space for a bit and get to know the neighborhood. I play in sporadic 20 minute bursts (this is a good Dad Game since you can jack out anywhere, any time) but if I start gettin' deep (like this other guy I know) I'll see what rolling with the Frogs is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Man, passenger missions are random. I just got 13mil to take someone to see some ice geyser 76ly away and return them. 4 jumps total...

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 31, 2017

• Locked thread