Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Wark Say posted:

Also :hfive: Southpaw Brigade buddy!
:cheers:

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Maybe it's the white balance but that guitar looks more like the ocean turquoise color that mine is.
Well I looked it up, and you are right: it does look nearly identical to Fender Ocean Turquoise. Though a quick GIS has both colors looking pretty similar to me. Either way, this strap doesn't really "match" the color of my Strat, but I like the look all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah cool just go ahead and post all that without sound/video clips featuring sick jams

Neat though. I’ve thought about doing something similar often.

I don't have my recording stuff setup so I went to look for a guitar demo of the Meatsmoke and 90% of the videos are for bass. I only recently noticed I bought a bass amp that is also a great guitar amp hah. The description on the Verellen site is:

"300 TUBE WATTS FOR BASS OR MASSIVE GUITAR"

Here is someone doing Sleep toanz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSUuXCRxBs0

With a solid state power section I don't get that power tube sag but diming an actual 6-tube power section Meatsmoke is a helluva prospect.

It actually has a very sweet-sounding overdriven sound in the non-boost channel and I get great cleans out of it, too.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that reminds me of a fun fact: hank iii owns the green amps used on dopesmoker

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Muppets On PCP posted:

that reminds me of a fun fact: hank iii owns the green amps used on dopesmoker

Used here for this Sleep-esque Hank III live show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q_3e4uYzAE

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
here's him just farting around on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeoj8HGatYk

e: the comments are great because he nerds out about gear as much as anyone else

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 19, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I broke down and bought this guitar off Reverb:

One of the New(?) Korean-made SE Custom 24's. Always liked PRS guitars (in one of my previous bands, the other guitar player had 2), but always thought that all available lefty models that I encountered were either too expensive or had too flashy finishes. Hopefully this one does me right.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
I bought a Korean PRS SE 277 (the baritone) recently, and holy crap that thing plays better than other guitars I've touched for 3x the price. Absurd. Honestly thinking about getting a SE Custom 24.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gorgeous guitar. God I want a PRS.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Science posted:

I bought a Korean PRS SE 277 (the baritone) recently, and holy crap that thing plays better than other guitars I've touched for 3x the price. Absurd. Honestly thinking about getting a SE Custom 24.
What I've heard from friends and acquaintances that actually know Paul is that, for all the stuff said about being opinionated and kinda stuck in his ways, he legit likes making good instruments and if there's going to be guitars with the name of his company on it, he wants to make sure is up to a good standard. Hence why the goofy, super specific "This instrument was built by (so-and-so factory, usually WMIC) under a license for PRS Guitars" message that most Korean and Indonesian-made PRS guitars have next to the Serial number in the back of the headstock. Also why people like my friend / former bandmate, who SWEARS by his Customs, are super devoted to them (although I'm sure that there are facebook groups / subreddits exist for almost any guitar brand under the sun).

Spatulater bro! posted:

Gorgeous guitar. God I want a PRS.
I hope that it sounds half as pretty as it looks at least. :)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I finally gave in and bought a set of Fishman Fluence Moderns, using a fun little $100 gift card as a hefty chunk off the price. Will do pictures when they arrive and I get them installed! :toot:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
THEY'RE SO GOOD

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

I finally gave in and bought a set of Fishman Fluence Moderns, using a fun little $100 gift card as a hefty chunk off the price. Will do pictures when they arrive and I get them installed! :toot:
Upgrading from EMG's? Or SD's? Either way, nice. :)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Upgrading from some lightly microphonic GFS ones.

e: I mean the microphonic isn't super an issue because a lot of my playing goes through THR -> headphones but sometimes I still like to play through my real amp

Also I'm just crushingly curious about the drat things

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 26, 2017

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I thought I would add to the Youtube cancer which is pedal demos...

I've got a decent sized pedal collection at home and I love messing with pedals. I also hate the vast majority of pedal demos online. Since it's holidays and I had a bit of spare time, I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring.

What I'm doing "differently" than other pedal demos is:

- I'm going to re-amp the same performance each time. Each pedal demo will have the exact same song\performance guitar on it. That means if you want to compare 2 pedals, it's easy to do so.
- I'm testing it with an Axe-FX so the recording conditions are always identical.
- The pedals are plugged into a bypass looper. No other pedals in the signal chain will impact the sound.
- 2 videos per pedal. 1 video with a Strat, 1 video with a Les Paul. Same music for both.
- Each demo will test the pedal with Fingerpicking, Open\Barre Chords, Power Chords, Single-Note Riffage and lead, regardless of what it's "good" at.
- Video length around 6 minutes. Long enough to demonstrate the pedal, but not a life-sucker.

So basically, my approach is to be as unbiased as possible, and covering a fair bit of ground. This approach probably still wouldn't let me test out ALL the options of a Strymon whatchimacallit, but let's be reasonable here.

The advantage to doing it this way:
- Since I'm re-amping, I don't have to worry about re-recording\re-mixing a performance each time.
- If it's the same performance, record the video once and just replace the comments\audio each time.

Basically, I have a full time job and I would like to keep that job. I like loving around with pedals, but I want it to be quick and easy to make one of these videos. I'd hate to spend an entire day working with ONE pedal.

Since I'm on holidays, I spent a day creating a template for this. It took me about 30-45 minutes to crank out one of these videos once it was all "set up" so at least that objective of the process works. I've used my strat for these videos and if they seem like a good idea, I'll tweak the format (AKA: Templates) for the Les Paul videos and see if I get it right there.

IN THE MEANTIME:

Here be the 5 videos I made. I'm sure all you gear-heads have seen pedal demos and loved\hated some of them. All feedback is useful at this stage and hey: If it turns out that this is an idea that doesn't work, no harm or foul :). It was a fun holiday project :).

Boss DS-1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiWixRUfCWk

TS-808:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMFOchaouck

EHX Electric Mistress:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T5RENpIlnw

JHS Muffuletta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VAmXYgfuCw

Suhr Riot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1smllXsd4G8&t=25s

DrChu
May 14, 2002

It's not a YouTube pedal review if your gear isn't a Squier through a 10 watt Peavey Rage or a Gibson historic 59 reissue Les Paul through a Dumble, either setup played at a low enough volume that the microphone on the phone you're using to record the thing picks up the acoustic sound of the pick hitting the strings louder than the sound through the amp. Describe your "clean" sound as being straight into the amp, with just some delay/reverb, compression and maybe a boost in front of the pedal. Express amazement at how the pedal "responds to your playing dynamics" like it's the first overdrive ever that gets more distorted if you play harder. It is also important that the pedal you got to change your tone is "transparent" so it doesn't affect your tone. And whatever kind of bypass it has is the right kind of bypass because you need to keep this hype train going and once you get 5K subscribers an Asian copycat producer might send you some cheapo review units.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

DrChu posted:

It's not a YouTube pedal review if your gear isn't a Squier through a 10 watt Peavey Rage or a Gibson historic 59 reissue Les Paul through a Dumble, either setup played at a low enough volume that the microphone on the phone you're using to record the thing picks up the acoustic sound of the pick hitting the strings louder than the sound through the amp. Describe your "clean" sound as being straight into the amp, with just some delay/reverb, compression and maybe a boost in front of the pedal. Express amazement at how the pedal "responds to your playing dynamics" like it's the first overdrive ever that gets more distorted if you play harder. It is also important that the pedal you got to change your tone is "transparent" so it doesn't affect your tone. And whatever kind of bypass it has is the right kind of bypass because you need to keep this hype train going and once you get 5K subscribers an Asian copycat producer might send you some cheapo review units.

The truth hurts so much...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

They all use Dr. Z amps. Every single one of them.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

They all use Dr. Z amps. Every single one of them.

or matchless

an ac30 if you're lucky

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I also need to grow dreadlocks and have random explosion sounds while talking over my mate who actually knows what the gently caress he's talking about.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

H13 posted:

So I thought I would add to the Youtube cancer which is pedal demos...

I've got a decent sized pedal collection at home and I love messing with pedals. I also hate the vast majority of pedal demos online. Since it's holidays and I had a bit of spare time, I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring.

What I'm doing "differently" than other pedal demos is:

- I'm going to re-amp the same performance each time. Each pedal demo will have the exact same song\performance guitar on it. That means if you want to compare 2 pedals, it's easy to do so.
- I'm testing it with an Axe-FX so the recording conditions are always identical.
- The pedals are plugged into a bypass looper. No other pedals in the signal chain will impact the sound.
- 2 videos per pedal. 1 video with a Strat, 1 video with a Les Paul. Same music for both.
- Each demo will test the pedal with Fingerpicking, Open\Barre Chords, Power Chords, Single-Note Riffage and lead, regardless of what it's "good" at.
- Video length around 6 minutes. Long enough to demonstrate the pedal, but not a life-sucker.

So basically, my approach is to be as unbiased as possible, and covering a fair bit of ground. This approach probably still wouldn't let me test out ALL the options of a Strymon whatchimacallit, but let's be reasonable here.

The advantage to doing it this way:
- Since I'm re-amping, I don't have to worry about re-recording\re-mixing a performance each time.
- If it's the same performance, record the video once and just replace the comments\audio each time.

Basically, I have a full time job and I would like to keep that job. I like loving around with pedals, but I want it to be quick and easy to make one of these videos. I'd hate to spend an entire day working with ONE pedal.

Since I'm on holidays, I spent a day creating a template for this. It took me about 30-45 minutes to crank out one of these videos once it was all "set up" so at least that objective of the process works. I've used my strat for these videos and if they seem like a good idea, I'll tweak the format (AKA: Templates) for the Les Paul videos and see if I get it right there.

IN THE MEANTIME:

Here be the 5 videos I made. I'm sure all you gear-heads have seen pedal demos and loved\hated some of them. All feedback is useful at this stage and hey: If it turns out that this is an idea that doesn't work, no harm or foul :). It was a fun holiday project :).

Boss DS-1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiWixRUfCWk

TS-808:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMFOchaouck

EHX Electric Mistress:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T5RENpIlnw

JHS Muffuletta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VAmXYgfuCw

Suhr Riot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1smllXsd4G8&t=25s

I haven’t watched yet but I sub’d you. Your structure seems interesting, more transparent than most demos.

I finally got a tripod and might actually muster up the confidence to start doing YouTube videos. Demos, play throughs, whatever. I’ve wanted to for a while but always put it off.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
so at what point do you guys think the musical instrument market will consist entirely of people doing youtube gear demos and covers

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

It’s already reached the point where the easiest way to get people to listen to your original music is to put it up as a tone demo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Muppets On PCP posted:

so at what point do you guys think the musical instrument market will consist entirely of people doing youtube gear demos and covers

A significant chunk of my favorite players are youtubers now so yeah we’re going there strap the heck in

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
So I came to the realization lately that I would prefer to have a strat over the Jay Mascis jazzmaster I currently have. What would be a fair selling price for it, or trade value?

its a sweet guitar, I just prefer the tone and shape of a strat I guess.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I wish I could buy it off you but I'm a bit tapped ATM.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I mean I really really like it, the bass toggle switch thing is sweet and is almost a kill switch if you move it quick enough. Neck feels great, body and paint are pretty, love the white on gold. Strats are just.. THE guitar, for me I guess, okay!? I like how they play all around in general, I don't really like the feel of this bridge and bigass pickups, its never felt right picking around there if that makes sense. Took me awhile to realize I just didn't like how this thing felt as a whole. Sounds pretty loving sweet through my lil yamaha modeling amp, that is for certain.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Got up at 6:30 on a Saturday, but at least it was for a good reason. Picked up a guitar and amp for $100.

Guitar

Might say I bought it on a ...

Lawsuit-era Lark branded Les Paul copy

Body is in excellent shape, multi-piece sandwich with a pressed top, so it's hollow under the cap. I had one similar ~20 years ago that was full plywood and weight a ton, this one is actually pretty light.

The neck on the other hand...

There is a definite crack running parallel to the fret broad, yet the whole thing seems stable, and with where it is string tension is probably keeping it closed. Not going to worry about it until it has problems. Right now it plays okay, needs a setup and clean up.

And the amp

Vox V-5 Student, made in the US in 1966 by Thomas Organ, based on a tabletop AM radio circuit with a 35W4, 12AU6, and 50C5 tubes. Yeah, it's a weird one, and apparently only made for one year. All this one does is hum right now, which means a cap job, but it did pick up AM radio at the house where I picked it up! Still has original tubes and the original 7" speaker. I will need to clean up the speaker wiring from the output transformer, someone broke some wires and soldered them direct to the speaker rather than back onto the posts of the transformer.

$100 well spent, I think, plus I also got this great vintage strap!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

How much shame do I feel? None whatsoever. :colbert: (edit: the SuperChamp XD is also a new arrival, sweet amp)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Choice purchases! :)

That Lark les-paul clone looks loving delicious.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The top looks better than many a modern USA Gibson lmao

Also I got my Fluences in with only one minor crapup (accidentally hooked up the jack backwards so all signal went to ground :downs: ) and holy poo poo

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

How much shame do I feel? None whatsoever. :colbert: (edit: the SuperChamp XD is also a new arrival, sweet amp)

Sup, MT-2 acquisition (and no shame) buddy! :hfive:

EDIT: The other pedals are also recent acquisitions, or, as is the case with the big black one, recent builds.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Frank Caskelot posted:

EDIT: The other pedals are also recent acquisitions, or, as is the case with the big black one, recent builds.

What does the black one do?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Frank Caskelot posted:

Is it weird that I'm now intrigued as to what that 8 control, 2 switch, 2 stomp pedal does?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Is it weird that I'm now intrigued as to what that 8 control, 2 switch, 2 stomp pedal does?

It's two overdrive/distortions in one box, 4 controls each + one has those switches as well. Both are circuits I cooked up. I wanted them both on my pedalboard and so I built them into a single enclosure.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Frank Caskelot posted:

It's two overdrive/distortions in one box, 4 controls each + one has those switches as well. Both are circuits I cooked up. I wanted them both on my pedalboard and so I built them into a single enclosure.
Oh! Kinda like the Xotic BB+? I love that sucker's OD.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Oh! Kinda like the Xotic BB+? I love that sucker's OD.

Well, kinda. But I use it to make doom sounds. And I decided not to have the order of the circuits switchable since one of them takes hot signals like a champ and the other doesn't, while they're both very capable of outputting hot signals.

Edit: The left half is basically this, slightly improved:

Frank Caskelot posted:

Built this thing meself and it fits my pedalboard quite nicely alongside Black Forest and LSTR from Black Arts Toneworks and a Fuzz Factory clone.

Here's a demo video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aetN4xDl-wA

And the right side is called Meatballs, so here I have Spaghetti and Meatballs.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 30, 2017

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

After a long wait on CITES to import it to Canada, I got a Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster just before Christmas:

Didn’t stay in tune with the stock strings when using the vibrato, so I changed them out for some NYXL’s and kept more windings around the tuners. Stays in tune like a champ now!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Doomy posted:

After a long wait on CITES to import it to Canada, I got a Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster just before Christmas:

Didn’t stay in tune with the stock strings when using the vibrato, so I changed them out for some NYXL’s and kept more windings around the tuners. Stays in tune like a champ now!

Sup sexy Jazzer brother!

That was the only other Jazzmaster I was shopping when I came across my 66RI jap model.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Doomy posted:

The TVL Jazzmaster is my favorite guitar. I love all the little details that were put into it. It has the vintage witch hat knobs, that upper toggle switch that can double as a kill-switch, a matching headstock, and that beautiful rosewood fretboard with thick binding and block inlays. The oxblood color itself is pretty fantastic. It changes from a medium red to nearly black depending on the lighting in the room.

The TVL looks so good that I always feel the need to dress up before playing it. I hope you enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Know Such Peace posted:

The TVL Jazzmaster is my favorite guitar. I love all the little details that were put into it. It has the vintage witch hat knobs, that upper toggle switch that can double as a kill-switch, a matching headstock, and that beautiful rosewood fretboard with thick binding and block inlays. The oxblood color itself is pretty fantastic. It changes from a medium red to nearly black depending on the lighting in the room.

The TVL looks so good that I always feel the need to dress up before playing it. I hope you enjoy it.

Absolutely! I’m a big fan of TVL, so it’s natural his signature model would be dressed to the 9’s as well. The old Yamaha model he had was the same way too.

I’ve heard a lot of people don’t like the Rhythm circuit on JM’s but I’ve found it’s useful. I hadn’t thought about using it as a kill switch so I’m going to try that out, that would be a neat effect to play around with.

Sockington posted:

Sup sexy Jazzer brother!

That was the only other Jazzmaster I was shopping when I came across my 66RI jap model.

That’s one nice Jazzmaster!! I have a pair of CIJ Fender basses that I’ve been playing for 10 years, absolutely solid instruments!