Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Torquemada posted:

So having guns makes people rob you? If I was an American thief, I’d do my best to rob unarmed people: much less chance of getting shot.

Careful, that's a literal argument gun nuts use unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Any second story man worth their salt uses a guntector to find unarmed targets for their B&Es.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Inescapable Duck posted:

Like with most stereotypes, history and context matters. Asian accent jokes have a very long and very ugly history dating back to both shameless colonial exploitation of China and anti-Japanese WW2 propaganda which played up all manner of horrific stereotypes and slurs and was very widely disseminated.

Which also means they tend to be outdated and near incomprehensible to people who didn't grow up with such media (since most of it's been withdrawn from common circulation for being so drat racist) and thus age very poorly. Even modern Asian stereotypes are completely different now.
Yeah I was watching Tintin with my daughter and had forgotten about characters like this. It was an improvement over the earlier stuff since the Chinese characters in the story were relatively well done and the period / region was relatively accurately represented but yeeeesh.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Jedit posted:

The "Completely Newscastered" on the scoreboard needs a bit of explanation, though. It's obviously rhyming slang for "plastered", but it came into use via ITN newsreader Reginald Bosanquet (also referred to by the song "Oh Bosanquet"). Bosanquet was suspected to be a heavy drinker because of his slurred delivery; after he died his co-presenter Anna Ford confirmed that he was an alcoholic and would often go on air drunk.

Reginald Bosanquet was also one of the main inspirations for Henry in Drop the Dead Donkey.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torquemada posted:

So having guns makes people rob you? If I was an American thief, I’d do my best to rob unarmed people: much less chance of getting shot.

Yup. But you don't know if they're armed. So you take a gun on your burglary, because you have to presume they are. If it turns out they do have a gun, you shoot them because you have to assume they're willing to use it. And yes, you do get the drop on them because they just woke up and don't know if you're armed while you're fully awake and prepared for them to be armed. Statistics have shown for decades that Americans who keep guns in the house are more likely to be killed during a break-in, and these are the reasons why.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Jedit posted:

Yup. But you don't know if they're armed. So you take a gun on your burglary, because you have to presume they are. If it turns out they do have a gun, you shoot them because you have to assume they're willing to use it. And yes, you do get the drop on them because they just woke up and don't know if you're armed while you're fully awake and prepared for them to be armed. Statistics have shown for decades that Americans who keep guns in the house are more likely to be killed during a break-in, and these are the reasons why.

unless....

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Straight White Shark posted:

I still feel this is basically a product of the times (the same stock character pops up elsewhere--see Ray Gillette on Archer, for example) and is going to feel more and more dated as time goes on. I feel it's likely coming from a place of love on Venture Bros. but it's still probably not going to look great in 5 or 10 years.

Sort of on an Archer related note, isn't there a bit in Sealab 2021 where the characters are watching a Will and Grace show and a supposedly gay background character calls everyone out on watching the show, I think saying that in 20 years we'll see the gay characters on that show as the Amos and Andy of our generation?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Like with most stereotypes, history and context matters. Asian accent jokes have a very long and very ugly history dating back to both shameless colonial exploitation of China and anti-Japanese WW2 propaganda which played up all manner of horrific stereotypes and slurs and was very widely disseminated.

Which also means they tend to be outdated and near incomprehensible to people who didn't grow up with such media (since most of it's been withdrawn from common circulation for being so drat racist) and thus age very poorly. Even modern Asian stereotypes are completely different now.

But in this regard, is it a completely Western thing? I used to watch a lot of anime and it seemed like even in the original Japanese audio there was a strange depiction in the designs and even the voice performances of characters that seemed to be Chinese that came across as a bit towards the comical or stereotypical in a way that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Turns out I might have been detecting this even if I couldn't understand the language TO detect it, perhaps?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyowa-go

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I was trying for gentle sarcasm to point out a logical inconsistency, when I obviously should have linked a video of Jim Jeffries screaming “THEN THEY’RE NO loving PROTECTION THEN, ARE THEY?”

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Bloop posted:

Making a joke about an accent or "doing" an accent just doesn't seem disparaging to me I guess. Racism is about negative stereotypes or harm. It seems to dilute the term when it applies to acknowledging that an accent exists.

Multiple large latino organizations have said Speedy Gonzales is a cultural icon and not racist, for example. He is a positive role model but he does have a strong accent.

We poke fun at all sorts of accents that aren't race specific like "southern" and "new yorker" and "midwestern" and I don't see why "indian" or "chinese" is any different as long as that's all it is.

ONCE AGAIN I am concerned about racism, and want to understand. I am clearly not saying racism is OK or anything close and anyone saying I am is being disingenuous or moronic. Perhaps I am culturally blind to the harm it causes but I don't see a negative stereotype being perpetuated or anything in just using an accent or joking that German needs phlegm or saying "Sacre bleu" in a phony french accent. Is the foreign language dub game in Whose Line terribly racist? It's just gibberish with an accent.

People tend to discriminate between privileged and non-privileged accents, and non-privileged accents tend to be associated with being less educated or outright stupid. You can see this within white groups when people talk about speaking "properly" or not, which usually means speaking a bland Standard American/Standard British with a learned accent (i.e. what people will often claim isn't an accent). The other end of the spectrum is generally strong regional accents, such as Scouse here or strong lower-class Southern accents in the US.

Ching-chong Chinaman type accents are always non-privileged, so they perpetuate the idea that immigrants are less intelligent or educated. They do reflect a real group of people and how they speak, but when you see them on TV they're almost always played for laughs or in other marked contexts. Germans don't have the same problem - there's absolutely stereotypes about Germans and funny German accents which exist, but no-one who isn't deeply stupid bases their whole perception of Germany on them. There's also not groups of Indian comedians sitting around making up and voicing "funny white people" sketches, whereas the opposite happens all the time.

Well apart from this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huSP7PtctC4

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Torquemada posted:

Having anything of value, anywhere in the world can make you a target. Doesn't matter much what or where. There is always gonna be someone wanting to take what you have.

I keep my firearms in a safe in a locked room, and I'd prefer to think that it would deter or at least slow down a thief and prevent access.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Careful, that's a literal argument gun nuts use unironically.

This is true. Some of the wingnuts have concocted entire fantasies based on killing "intruders" and "threats", and it's a little disturbing. It's best to avoid the fringe ones.

Not all of us gun owners are like that.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

My friend got shot because a robber saw his Razer mouse and keyboard with RGB lighting and assumed that my friend had the skills to kill him if he were given the chance.

R.I.P. 369NoXsc0pe, brother..

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The villain being Japanese in Tintin is justified given the Japanese invasion of China in the early 30's. It helps that this point onwards Herge started doing the research which helped elevate Tintin from his origin as a crudely-drawn pro-Catholic pro-Belgian propaganda piece. The only real flubs down the line is stuff like the Incas not knowing about Eclipses.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Bloop posted:

I'm like a woke super bleeding heart leftist pinko who doesn't miss a pride parade and thinks we should accept infinity refugees but I just can't get worked up over accent jokes.

Like I can't imagine that being particularly insulting to Asians. As a monoglot American, the fact that someone speaks a second language with an accent still makes them better than me, language-wise.

I'll update my opinions if I hear that this is really a problem, but it seems like literally the lowest priority poo poo. Like Fa-ra-ra-ra-Ra in A Christmas Story... Those people were being really nice and in no way were the butt of anything.

If that was just a part of a larger insult I'd feel differently, but if it's accent alone... Ehh.

Can I keep my libcard?

"As a white guy, let me explain what things are and are not racist. Listen up chinks, you're gonna need to hear this." Get over yourself. Let me put it this way; You're in a job interview. The guy interviewing you is Chinese. You spill your glass of water over the table. Do you think you are more likely to get the job if you "Oh! Sorry!" in your normal foghorn leghorn sounding voice, or do you go with "Ah! Me so solly, so solly!" in your best ching-chong chinaman impression? After all, if its not racist then he may appreciate your attempt to communicate with the heathen chinee in a way he understands. Of course not because that would be loving racist you idiot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This is the same level of oblivious fuckery which leads to dumasses wearing blackface and then wondering why everyone is yelling at them.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
The Simpsons even kinda lampshade their own stumblings over chinese caricatures and stereotypes. Kinda.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The villain being Japanese in Tintin is justified given the Japanese invasion of China in the early 30's. It helps that this point onwards Herge started doing the research which helped elevate Tintin from his origin as a crudely-drawn pro-Catholic pro-Belgian propaganda piece. The only real flubs down the line is stuff like the Incas not knowing about Eclipses.

Yeah, the Japanese characters in that story still end up looking like racist caricatures though. He continued to improve afterwards, and the TV series makes a few changes too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Racism is bad but I always laugh at “me so solly” and I probably always will

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

oldpainless posted:

Racism is bad but I always laugh at “me so solly” and I probably always will

Uhf isn't a great movie but

https://youtu.be/RB2GboGOuTI

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

National Lampoon's European Vacation was on the other night and it's hard to find things in it that have aged well.

It's the weaker of the four, but it's still decent. I still say "Big Ben! Parliament!" when showing the kids something interesting while on the road.

The "hook" of the movie is that it lampoons European stereotypes.
- The British are overly polite
- The French are horribly rude
- The Germans are pugilistic
- The Italians are sexy and mysterious

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

SiKboy posted:

"As a white guy, let me explain what things are and are not racist. Listen up chinks, you're gonna need to hear this." Get over yourself. Let me put it this way; You're in a job interview. The guy interviewing you is Chinese. You spill your glass of water over the table. Do you think you are more likely to get the job if you "Oh! Sorry!" in your normal foghorn leghorn sounding voice, or do you go with "Ah! Me so solly, so solly!" in your best ching-chong chinaman impression? After all, if its not racist then he may appreciate your attempt to communicate with the heathen chinee in a way he understands. Of course not because that would be loving racist you idiot.

Holy loving poo poo you're a racist arsehole.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JediTalentAgent posted:

Sort of on an Archer related note, isn't there a bit in Sealab 2021 where the characters are watching a Will and Grace show and a supposedly gay background character calls everyone out on watching the show, I think saying that in 20 years we'll see the gay characters on that show as the Amos and Andy of our generation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYVngaUI6UA

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
This thread is definitely not aging well.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

JediTalentAgent posted:

If you watched Will and Grace for any reason aside from Karen Walker then something is wrong with you.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks to any serious replies.
I suppose people with strong accents always sounded more intelligent to me because poo poo they know more languages than I do!

Also where I grew up there were a lot of people with strong accents but they were the richest most successful people like doctors and lawyers and visiting professors and whatnot and their kids were usually the ones better than me in school subjects, so it was more a badge of honor than anything else. I still briefly get genuinely mistified when people ape a "bad" accent as evidence of dumbness because holy poo poo if you're so smart why don't you just speak in their language.

I'll just say mea culpa that people are always worse than I give them credit for and it's best to avoid the entire shitshow lest you either accidentally perpetuate that poo poo or appear to be an rear end in a top hat. I never made the "verbal blackface" connection probably because I've never really thought about the topic much at all before. So, again thanks to the genuine replies.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My favorite Will and Grace story is how John Barrowman, who is gay, was told he was "too straight" to play Will.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

My favorite Will and Grace story is how John Barrowman, who is gay, was told he was "too straight" to play Will.

I don't get that at all. My exposure to Will & Grace is limited but isn't his character's whole thing is that he doesn't come off as cartoonishly gay as the other gay character on the show (I don't know his name)?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't get that at all. My exposure to Will & Grace is limited but isn't his character's whole thing is that he doesn't come off as cartoonishly gay as the other gay character on the show (I don't know his name)?

Jack

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Okay, great. So if Will isn't supposed to be obviously gay in the TV sense of the word, and Jack is the character who DOES behave that way, what the hell were they looking for? I feel like I'm missing something or I just don't know enough gay people. Mind you, most of the gay folk I do know are lesbians so maybe there's a different dynamic I just don't see.

Or maybe whoever told him that is full of poo poo in the type of way lawyers can only aspire to.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Nah see, the Chinatown episode I was talking about came a few years after this episode.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Oh, he's extremely straight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1XOfHax6Q8

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story is on tv right now. The Lance Armstrong cameo has a fun new subtext.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

"I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever."

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

Possibly a reference to the time Jerry Lewis made Mickey Rooney look sensitive and considerate in comparison. In 1980.

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Where did the big teeth thing come from? That's part of the stereotype/racist caricature I just don't get.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Okay, great. So if Will isn't supposed to be obviously gay in the TV sense of the word, and Jack is the character who DOES behave that way, what the hell were they looking for? I feel like I'm missing something or I just don't know enough gay people. Mind you, most of the gay folk I do know are lesbians so maybe there's a different dynamic I just don't see.

Or maybe whoever told him that is full of poo poo in the type of way lawyers can only aspire to.

Wasn't Will & Grace the show where they had to dial back Will's homosexuality to the point where he couldn't even hold hands or kiss his partner because NBC wanted to boast about having a gay leading character but not one that actually acted like he was gay? And a shame about John Barrowman, the man is a freak and would have made that sitcom a lot more fun than it was. Oh well, guess he'll have to continue being one of the best Doctor Who supporting characters ever. ;)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A weird corollary to Asian racist stereotypes is that most every major Asian racial/national group is racist against all the others for various reasons (Chinese/Japanese/Korean especially) it isn't unknown for them to depict each other using horrendously racist Western stereotypes while giving themselves more depth.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Wasn't Will & Grace the show where they had to dial back Will's homosexuality to the point where he couldn't even hold hands or kiss his partner because NBC wanted to boast about having a gay leading character but not one that actually acted like he was gay? And a shame about John Barrowman, the man is a freak and would have made that sitcom a lot more fun than it was. Oh well, guess he'll have to continue being one of the best Doctor Who supporting characters ever. ;)

That reminds me of DC Comics having a character that they boasted was the first gay character (Extrano), but not that you'd never know, since it was never mentioned in the comics.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Davros1 posted:

That reminds me of DC Comics having a character that they boasted was the first gay character (Extrano), but not that you'd never know, since it was never mentioned in the comics.

The character was clearly Extrano-eous. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Lurkman posted:

Possibly a reference to the time Jerry Lewis made Mickey Rooney look sensitive and considerate in comparison. In 1980.

This should by on his 'in memoriam' segment at the Oscars.