Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Toshimo posted:

Gotham the TV Series.

He said Alfred not slapping the poo poo out of everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Calaveron posted:

What was his background in that series? Like in all media he always has some super special background where he was like, butler to the queen in the Joel Schumacher movies or my personal favorite and most logical, a field medic in the army for that The Batman cartoon

I think ex-SAS medic is the latest.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Calaveron posted:

What was his background in that series? Like in all media he always has some super special background where he was like, butler to the queen in the Joel Schumacher movies or my personal favorite and most logical, a field medic in the army for that The Batman cartoon

On Gotham he was ex-British military who became a drunkard after all the poo poo he did. One day he ends up blacking out and waking up covered in blood, when he goes to the police station to turn himself in Thomas Wayne (who was there for unrelated reasons) vouches for him and says they were hanging out when Alfred defended them from a mugger.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

On Gotham he was ex-British military who became a drunkard after all the poo poo he did. One day he ends up blacking out and waking up covered in blood, when he goes to the police station to turn himself in Thomas Wayne (who was there for unrelated reasons) vouches for him and says they were hanging out when Alfred defended them from a mugger.

Uh ... that’s terrible.

Who the hell is writing that show?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
"Commits murder during blackouts" is definitely a must on any babysitter's resume

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I've seen literally one episode of Gotham, which my friends begged me to watch because it was "so good." It was the Penguin origin story, which I admit was thoroughly entertaining as a one off episode.

Then my friends begged me to never watch any other episode ever.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Penguin is literally the only watchable part of Gotham.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ghostlight posted:

Penguin is literally the only watchable part of Gotham.

They just stole his look from Trey Gowdy.

Edit: Captain America is such a loving square.

Here's what happens to squares around these parts.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 29, 2017

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I didn't know Chick tracts were in color now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ecavalli posted:

We’ve got a billion bat-family books, but all I really want is a series dedicated to Alfred putting up with superhero bullshit and straining not to slap the poo poo out of everyone.

And taking care of the animals. I love that there's currently two dogs, a cat, and a cow kicking around. Sometimes there are horses, and there are always bats.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Push El Burrito posted:

They just stole his look from Trey Gowdy.

Edit: Captain America is such a loving square.

Look at mister high and mighty.
Pumped full of supersoldier serum.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Marijuana? gently caress that. Real heroes only do steroids!

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

"Drugs aren't cool, kids!" *lifts car over head*

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
With his super-metabolism, wouldn't Cap have to smoke a joint as big as your head before he'd even feel it?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

davidspackage posted:

I didn't know Chick tracts were in color now.

Speaking of, has there been any kind of collection of those? I could totally see Fantagraphics putting together a compilation of them all.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

Speaking of, has there been any kind of collection of those? I could totally see Fantagraphics putting together a compilation of them all.

They're still being produced and sold by the original creator.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Someone should make an album that has slots for each existing tract, and then people could go out to bus stops and men on corners of cities to build their complete collection. Kind of like Pokemon Go.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Nah. He dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Chick

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

He died over a year ago.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

A Strange Aeon posted:

Someone should make an album that has slots for each existing tract, and then people could go out to bus stops and men on corners of cities to build their complete collection. Kind of like Pokemon Go.
Based on the Let's Read Chick Tracts thread in GBS, some of them are loving expensive because they're out of print and have been for years or whatever.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Based on the Let's Read Chick Tracts thread in GBS, some of them are loving expensive because they're out of print and have been for years or whatever.

Which makes sense, given how they were distributed--all the more reason I assumed there'd be a Fantagraphics collection sometime in the near future. Or if not Fantagraphics, the Chick Publications company themselves so they can preserve his legacy. Since another company might not want to touch them--

"Many of Chick's views were controversial, as he accused Roman Catholics, Freemasons, Muslims, Jews and many other groups of murder and conspiracies.[3] His comics have been described by Robert Ito, in Los Angeles magazine, as "equal parts hate literature and fire-and-brimstone sermonizing""

From his wiki page, this was also really intriguing:

"After converting to Christianity, Chick wanted to evangelize others, but he was too shy to talk to people directly about religion.[9] Chick heard from missionary Bob Hammond, who had broadcast in Asia on the Voice of America, that the Communist Party of China had gained significant influence among ordinary Chinese in the 1950s through the distribution of small comic books."

I wonder if there's been any scholarship that collects those Chinese Communist ones--seems like it would be interesting.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I wonder if there's been any scholarship that collects those Chinese Communist ones--seems like it would be interesting.

I'd be amazed if there wasn't. I knew a political science guy who had a shelf full of Chinese propaganda books and cartoons translated into English on his shelf. However a lot of it was short-run stuff from academic presses so I don't know it's necessarily easy to find.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've been reading the first golden age omnibus and it's full of weird stuff. I want the war to end because I'm sick of every antagonist being a German or Japanese spy. It's impossible to imagine a modern comic treating contemporary political conflicts the same way the golden age did.

To combine this, and the recent Captain America posts, here's a page from Secret Origins 48 (Rex, the Wonder Dog)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Mind posted:

To combine this, and the recent Captain America posts, here's a page from Secret Origins 48 (Rex, the Wonder Dog)

I have no problem believing that Bob Hope would kill a child's pet.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

prefect posted:

I have no problem believing that Bob Hope would kill a child's pet.

Aw, he's too busy committing sexual assault.

Funny Comic Panels? Only, no. Edits!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

A Strange Aeon posted:

From his wiki page, this was also really intriguing:

"After converting to Christianity, Chick wanted to evangelize others, but he was too shy to talk to people directly about religion.[9] Chick heard from missionary Bob Hammond, who had broadcast in Asia on the Voice of America, that the Communist Party of China had gained significant influence among ordinary Chinese in the 1950s through the distribution of small comic books."
He mentions this in a few of the tracts that are about why you should give out tracts. (and it's illustrated with stereotypes, obviously)

It's super interesting to me because I had never heard it elsewhere but had heard of Chick Tracts forever so like, obviously the method works?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He mentions this in a few of the tracts that are about why you should give out tracts. (and it's illustrated with stereotypes, obviously)

It's super interesting to me because I had never heard it elsewhere but had heard of Chick Tracts forever so like, obviously the method works?
Chick tracts are memorable but I'm not sure they're "successful." They are pretty interesting as underground comix, though.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
There was some guy in A/T like a decade ago who converted to fundamentalist Christianity because of a Chick Tract, so it worked better than doing literally nothing I guess.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They should do this with all their covers

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was reminded of how much I love Darkseid showing up randomly chilling in people's living rooms and then that parody came to mind.

There's something beautiful that one random scene from Kirby's New Gods has become one the god of evil's defining traits.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Shouldn't the check boxes be "Yes" or "Yes."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

Look, he doesn't have the anti-life equation yet.

Yet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

David D. Davidson posted:

Of course not. If there weren't people resisting anti-life, who would the Justifers hunt down in Darkseid's name?

Anti-life justifies my hate, but my hate still needs a target.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

joehonkie posted:

He died over a year ago.

Oddly enough I checked to see if he was still alive right before he died last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if some Christian company that owns the rights made a book but there probably won't be anything until 2086.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I was reminded of how much I love Darkseid showing up randomly chilling in people's living rooms and then that parody came to mind.

There's something beautiful that one random scene from Kirby's New Gods has become one the god of evil's defining traits.

As visual metaphors go, it's got that perfect comic book combination of goofy and brilliant. Evil is already present in your life, after all, and casually violating your most private space is about the only way someone with his powers could up the ante on intimidation.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

They should do this with all their covers

Sure. It's only been two years.

http://www.deadpoolbugle.com/2016/01/january-2016-deadpool-meme-variant.html

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The question should just say "Darkseid" and the boxes should read "is" and "is not", and if you check "is not" a Parademon drops you into a pit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think he meant the Snapchat filters, but maybe I'm wrong.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I also won’t ever be tired of Darkseid casually reminding others that the concept of ownership does not apply to them, for all is Darkseid’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

I also won’t ever be tired of Darkseid casually reminding others that the concept of ownership does not apply to them, for all is Darkseid’s

Particularly all barcaloungers