Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

im a decently smart person and the last pages of posts about webass have caused me to be more confused about it rather than less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

This sounds a mess, MPI based Numpy in Google :yayclod:

quote:

STAC recently tested two clusters using STAC-A3 benchmarks: the STAC-A3 Pack for Python (Rev A) using Python 3.6.2 and the High Performance Analytics Toolkit (HPAT) on Google Cloud 64 vCPU Intel Xeon (Skylake) instances with 14TB of Google Persistent SSD. One cluster (HPAT171028) contained 5 compute nodes, while the other (HPAT171029) contained 20.

The STAC Pack (benchmark implementation code) for this STAC-A3 project was authored by Intel Labs using the open source High Performance Analytics Toolkit (HPAT), a new data analytics framework that scales Python-based analytics code by compiling a subset of Python (Pandas/Numpy) to efficient parallel binaries with MPI, requiring a small amount of code annotation. Unlike many big data frameworks, HPAT does not use a master/executor paradigm or require the use of JVMs.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

im a decently smart person and the last pages of posts about webass have caused me to be more confused about it rather than less

there was very little talk about webass in the past few pages, mostly binast talk, so iunno how that happened.

what are you confused about

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

if thats webass

whats webtp

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

creatine posted:

if thats webass

whats webtp
A Javascript interface to popular excretional database MyBNGHL

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Peeny Cheez posted:

lmao 5

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Soricidus posted:

no you see there are very good reasons why I need to implement my own email address validation instead of just having it built into the browser

the browser might implement email address validation correctly and it is very important that I use my bespoke solution that rejects valid addresses

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Peeny Cheez posted:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
and some sauce-a on my balls

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

what I really like about the Binary AST proposal is it’s putting safety directly at odds with performance, as performance is its sole reason for existence. and does it have a high-level strongly-typed set of APIs you might be able to secure? no, it takes un untyped blob of attacker-controlled bytes, performs as little validation as possible and puts it straight in the middle of code generation and execution :thumbsup:

now that’s irresponsible software engineering at its finest :discourse:

the real reason WebAssembly is useless is that with Binary AST and one wrongly generated jump instruction you can just execute real assembly instead

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Max Facetime posted:

what I really like about the Binary AST proposal is it’s putting safety directly at odds with performance, as performance is its sole reason for existence. and does it have a high-level strongly-typed set of APIs you might be able to secure? no, it takes un untyped blob of attacker-controlled bytes, performs as little validation as possible and puts it straight in the middle of code generation and execution :thumbsup:

the real reason WebAssembly is useless is that with Binary AST and one wrongly generated jump instruction you can just execute real assembly instead

binary ast comes before code generation

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

like, you know what an AST is, right? there's nothing malicious an attacker can do by manipulating an AST that they can't do through the syntax of the language (at least in JS).

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i'm the security checks done during parsing

wait, this is js, i might actually exist

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

can't wait for webass bitcoin miners

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

raminasi posted:

i'm the security checks done during parsing

wait, this is js, i might actually exist

reminder that windows defender has a process running with root privileges that evals every single piece of javascript that enters your computer just in case it might do something malicious

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
my graphics card driver runs not one, not two, but four instances of nodejs...

i assume for massively parallel workloads?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Max Facetime posted:

sandboxing some code that does arithmetic on raw memory bytes is way the hell easier than sandboxing almost anything else

it's an increase in the attack surface, but so is everything with the web. pound-for-pound, it's very secure

you can get the same one-jump-wrong stuff with normal javascript too

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

yeah after this discussion i have even less of an idea what webass is supposed to do or be

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Themage posted:

what graphics card driver does that?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Themage posted:

You mean your graphics card accelerates node.js for some reason or it comes with bloatware using electron or something?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I've heard of bloated printer support programs running apache and poo poo, but not graphics card drivers. Maybe that lovely nvidia experience app is electron?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mystes posted:

You mean your graphics card accelerates node.js for some reason or it comes with bloatware using electron or something?

fwiw nvidia experience is node.js

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

fwiw nvidia experience is node.js

Which of course is not the same thing as 'the driver' :shobon:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

feedmegin posted:

that it isnt, henc fwiw to bloatware question. nothing forces one to install gfe

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

feedmegin posted:

something something close to the metal

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

HoboMan posted:

yeah after this discussion i have even less of an idea what webass is supposed to do or be

web assembly is a gaggle of nerds arguing about how to turn chicken poo poo into chicken salad

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

AWWNAW posted:

web assembly is a gaggle of nerds arguing about how to turn chicken poo poo into chicken salad

Use it to fertilize plants, then feed those plants to a chicken.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
All I know is that webass doesn't make writing dom manipulations in python easy, so it's essentially worthless to me.

Your options are ship the entire 3mb standard library compiled to webass, which is stupid because you barely use any of it, or to do what frontend devs have been doing for a generation which is precompile using nodejs and ship only the parts you use and then you're still using npm/grunt/yarn/regretting your life choices.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TimWinter posted:

All I know is that webass doesn't make writing dom manipulations in python easy, so it's essentially worthless to me.

Your options are ship the entire 3mb standard library compiled to webass, which is stupid because you barely use any of it, or to do what frontend devs have been doing for a generation which is precompile using nodejs and ship only the parts you use and then you're still using npm/grunt/yarn/regretting your life choices.
How does webass inherently preclude shipping a subset of the standard library?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

HoboMan posted:

the purpose is to make code in the browser run faster in two main ways: faster parsing, more straightforward and predictable conversion to native code

but right now it has no ability to touch the dom at all, it can only compute

that's about it.

just ignore everyone being pedantic about ASTs

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

oh cool so it can't do the only thing anyone uses javascript for? good replacement

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
don’t worry we’ll fix it by just using webass as a platform for reimplementing everything else

after all it’s pretty dumb that browsers stay as old fashioned desktop apps when everything else is a web app. I want to run firefox in chrome dammit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

don’t worry we’ll fix it by just using webass as a platform for reimplementing everything else

after all it’s pretty dumb that browsers stay as old fashioned desktop apps when everything else is a web app. I want to run firefox in chrome dammit

*sighs drawing katana* time to sever youre content delivery network

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

*watches demo of AAA game engine running in browser* ok but can I use this to place ads in the sidebar

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

mystes posted:

How does webass inherently preclude shipping a subset of the standard library?

Maybe lovely dynamic languages like Python make it too difficult to do tree shaking to remove unused code.

On the other hand, tree shaking works well for non-lovely dynamic languages like Lisp, so who knows.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
all tree-shaking solutions assume you’re not doing certain kinds of reflective things. like you can’t drop a type if an api lets you look it up by name. that sort of thing is uncommon in lisp, although i believe the apis still exist. i don’t know how common it is in python

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Ugh, wasn't tree shaking still called DCE like a month ago?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i actually call it gdce, iirc tree shaking is just an algorithm. lispers really like conflating concepts with implementations because lispers are the wolframs of plt. anyway don’t blame me i was following the thread

ofc maybe i shouldn’t admit to following a thread that just spent like five pages trying to figure out what an ast is

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dylan16807 posted:

but right now it has no ability to touch the dom at all, it can only compute

asm.js at least included a foreign function interface that, I assume, permitted you to call arbitrary JavaScript methods you register with parameters constrained to 32-bit integers and doubles

does webass not have an ffi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
is reading my article really too hard for you guys

https://gist.github.com/magcius/8959ca1f5bbde4bd66b98b6d5dc73112