Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I actually would be interested in reading a comic that follows every restriction presented.

Because that poo poo would be hard.

Depowered Angel sits contemplatively in the Hall of Presidents in Disneyland for an entire comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Would the arms dealers comic from earlier this year pass those rules?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The million dollar wire transfer says what rules

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rick posted:

Depowered Angel sits contemplatively in the Hall of Presidents in Disneyland for an entire comic.

He contemplates what flag themed Sneakers he will buy.

Non brand name of course.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I actually would be interested in reading a comic that follows every restriction presented.

Because that poo poo would be hard.

I thought was average poster here was 30-something. This poo poo is just the same restrictions we had on Saturday morning cartoons back in the day.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Soonmot posted:

I thought was average poster here was 30-something. This poo poo is just the same restrictions we had on Saturday morning cartoons back in the day.

Much like the comics code, that's largely not looked back on as a good policy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Soonmot posted:

Saturday morning cartoons had guns, aliens, attire that could certainly be argued to be "suggestive" in places, noises related to bodily functions, and double entendres. Heck, Exo-Squad had no-fooling death. The reason everyone's making fun of this list isn't because it's sanitized, it's because it's so ludicrously restrictive that not even media aimed at actual children adheres to all those stipulations, plus the extra helping of weird bigotry on top of things.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
they didn't have guns, they had lasers. It's different.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

All I know about the comic code is they forbid vampires, so for Amazing Spider-Man #100, Stan lee found a loophole and introduced a scienc-y genetically engineered vampire.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Billzasilver posted:

All I know about the comic code is they forbid vampires, so for Amazing Spider-Man #100, Stan lee found a loophole and introduced a scienc-y genetically engineered vampire.

Nothing will ever top the evasion of the vampire-ban in the Code like Karl loving Lykos, who was bitten by a radioactive pterodactyl and became an energy vampire because gently caress it why not?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

rantmo posted:

Nothing will ever top the evasion of the vampire-ban in the Code like Karl loving Lykos, who was bitten by a radioactive pterodactyl and became an energy vampire because gently caress it why not?

The code was probably over by then but I'm posting him anyway:
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Hemo-Goblin_(New_Earth)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Soonmot posted:

Like how Spider-Man: Homecoming is an adaptation of the 90s animated series because he doesn't punch people.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Billzasilver posted:

That was after the drug storyline which basically killed the comic code.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

rantmo posted:

And Roy Thomas named him Sauron because he was reading Lord of the Rings at the time.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Lightning Lord posted:

And Roy Thomas named him Sauron because he was reading Lord of the Rings at the time.

My young mind associated Sauron with Dino-Saur first though, he knew what he was doin’.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Teenage Fansub posted:

Lmao, I’d never heard of that guy before but that is terrible

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

I was thinking vampire Green Goblin, this is infinitely worse :catstare:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I got the first two trades of Gwenpool and enjoyed it and then got sad to see it has been cancelled.

Not a bad run for a character that started as a variant cover what if for another character’s event though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel 2018: Bring Gwenpool Back

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Billzasilver posted:

Fairly sure that isn't true. It's not the first time I see it repeated, though, so I wonder who started this lie.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Wikipedia lays it out pretty well:

quote:

Morbius debuted in The Amazing Spider-Man #101 (cover-dated Oct. 1971) following the February 1971 updating of the comic-book industry's self-censorship board, the Comics Code Authority, that lifted a ban on vampires and certain other supernatural characters. It was the first issue of Marvel Comics' flagship Spider-Man series written by someone other than character co-creator and editor-in-chief Stan Lee. Lee, busy writing a screenplay for an unproduced science fiction movie, bequeathed the series to his right-hand editor, Roy Thomas. "We were talking about doing Dracula, but Stan wanted a costumed villain. Other than that, he didn't specify what we should do," Thomas said in 2009, adding that part of the character conception came from an unspecified science-fiction film of Thomas' youth, depicting a man turned into a vampire by radiation rather than magic.
It's close enough to the point where the CCA relaxed their rules about supernatural/occult stuff that I can see why people would think it, though again in the era of the Internet it's pretty easy to see when they revised the CCA and where releases fall in relation to that revision.

Also who is credited as the writer of a comic.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Correct me if I'm wrong or just not as good at comic history as I think but didn't the rule relaxation happen after Marvel put out that Spider-Man drug comic and people realized that the comics code authority couldn't actually do anything to you .

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I always wonder about who the CCA was, how they went about their business. I mean, I can't think of any known employees or interviews with people who worked for it, I've never been to find any stories or anecdotes about how they worked or how approvals were done, we have no examples of the actual code past 1954...

... sometimes I find myself wondering if they really existed as an organization, given how hard it is to actually prove their existence.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 1, 2018

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

site posted:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I always wonder about who the CCA was, how they went about their business. I mean, I can't think of any known employees or interviews with people who worked for it, I've never been to find any stories or anecdotes about how they worked or how approvals were done, we have no examples of the actual code past 1954...

... sometimes I find myself if they really existed as an organization, given how hard it is to actually prove their existence.

https://historyhoneys.podbean.com/e/the-comics-code-authority/ If you've got an hour here's a pretty good summation of how the CCA worked and what they actually did.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Blockhouse posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong or just not as good at comic history as I think but didn't the rule relaxation happen after Marvel put out that Spider-Man drug comic and people realized that the comics code authority couldn't actually do anything to you .
It's all roughly in the same time period, given lead times for comics production it's not 100% what the actual sequence of dominoes was.

January 1971: The Comics Code releases a revised code, which was published in fanzines and discussed at the time so I'm not sure where the "there's no actual code anywhere that exists after 1954" comes from. Among the revisions:

quote:

Vampires, ghouls and werewolves shall be permitted to be used when handled in the classic tradition such as Frankenstein, Dracula, and other high calibre literary works written by Edgar Allen Poe, Saki, Conan Doyle and other respected authors whose works are read in schools around the world.

quote:

Narcotics or Drug addiction shall not be presented except as a vicious habit.

February 1971:The first issue of the storyline about Harry Osborn being a drug addict (Amazing Spider-Man #96-98) is released, sans Code. The idea of doing an anti-drug Spider-Man comic was literally pitched to Marvel by the federal government, and given that it had the explicit blessing of the Department of Health and Human Services I'm guessing that Lee/Goodman figured they were safe from attacks from the sort of people who forced everyone to impose the Comics Code back in the 1950s. Given the timing, I'm guessing it's possible that the CCA adjusted the code because of Marvel ignoring their rejection of ASM #96, but the code revision appears to have been in the works for awhile, and relaxes a bunch of restrictions, not just the one about drugs. For instance, there was a whole Thing about whether or not rookie writer Marv Wolfman would be allowed to have his real name in the credits of comics he wrote, because technically you weren't allowed to make mention of a Wolfman.

Also February 1971: DC publisher Carmine Infantino denounces Marvel in the press for irresponsibly doing a story about drugs without Code approval.

June 1971: DC publishes Green Lantern/Green Arrow #85 emblazoned with DC ATTACKS YOUTH'S GREATEST PROBLEM... DRUGS! which is totally fine because the Code approved this one.
July 1971: Morbius debuts in Amazing Spider-Man, approved by the code.
August 1971: Jack Kirby does "the Vampire bit! But like you've never seen it before!" in Jimmy Olsen #142
November 1971: Tomb of Dracula #1 comes out
December 1971: Beast gets his own solo run in Amazing Adventures, where he is a Mister Hyde/Werewolf hybrid. Werewolf by Night debuts in Marvel Spotlight.

There are other examples into 1972 but once the CCA said you could do Frankensteins and Draculas, the publishers jumped on it quickly, though it appears all of those stories were rushed out after the ban was lifted.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Having just read a bunch of early Punisher comics, it struck me how much of his rise to prominence and popularity feels related to drug scares of the late '80s (and the genuinely rising crime rate). So many of his early stories relate to that sort of drug scourge fear-mongering at least explains why he became popular then as opposed any other time after his 1974 debut.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Interrelated was also the rising popularity in vigilantism in film during the 80s (also inn part boosted by the drug scare poo poo) like the death wish and dirty Harry series and even to an extent stuff like lethal weapon as well as the growing segment of one man murder machine movies by arnold and stallone

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Man, though I've mostly been enjoying Marvel Unlimited, it sure falls down in weird ways. Like, I started reading the Monsters Unleashed event, but there's no event banner for it, so you have to manually look up each of the tie-ins. I like reading crossovers soup-to-nuts, and this is generally a good service for getting to read some of them that way, but they don't make it easy. Even something like Infinity I've been having to exit out of the "next comic" interface that tries to default back to the series list instead of the event list, and get back to the event list to pick up the next title.

There was a Guardians of the Galaxy issue for MU I couldn't even find on the actual list of issues, I only found it through a google search on Marvel's site. :v:

Mr. Maltose posted:

https://historyhoneys.podbean.com/e/the-comics-code-authority/ If you've got an hour here's a pretty good summation of how the CCA worked and what they actually did.

Thanks! It's not exactly as much as I might hope for, but there were definitely interesting details I hadn't heard anywhere else.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Thanks! It's not exactly as much as I might hope for, but there were definitely interesting details I hadn't heard anywhere else.

There's a whole book on the subject that I read a while ago, so I can't remember how useful I found it: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1005306.Seal_of_Approval?ac=1

I know I've seen articles online that actually show before and after images of panels that had deletions ordered by the CCA, and in the Fifties they were really extensive. I can't remember where, but they're out there. I want to say that the Jack Kirby Collector magazine or the Jack Kirby Museum website might have an article on it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lovechop posted:

they cant cancel she hulk!!! You will regret this!!!!

Goddammit I just started reading this today!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read Secret Empire last night (the main issues, none of the tie-ins). It was a perfectly acceptable elseworlds story with some obviously questionable timing given the political climate but a generally anti-fascist / hopeful message. The weak effort to tie it all up at the end (everything's back to normal except Las Vegas is destroyed and New York was really in a dark void world and also all these inhuman / mutant guys were imprisoned, etc) was terrible but as an elseworlds story I can pretend that didn't matter.

That being said, I'm glad I don't read Marvel comics as they come out, I'd have been real pissed if that crap leaked into my books. Or if I wrote for Marvel and had to try to explain how any of that crap makes sense. That's Marvel events of the last two decades though.

e: On the note of "hopeful", I found that it laid it on a bit thick through the later issues. Not sure if that was a reaction to the public's reaction to the book, or just bad writing. Or both.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Hulk and Hawkeye news, while I will miss them, just leaves me numb right now - I am still too distraught over the idea of a Gwenpool-less world for rational thought. Unless it's all a ruse leading to a triumphant SARAH: SORCERER SUPREME book in a few months because let's face it, that Strange guy is way past his sell-by date.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

site posted:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Sentinel Red posted:

let's face it, that Strange guy is way past his sell-by date.

Well yeah! That's why Loki is in charge nowadays.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Saladin's doing an exiles books with an au ms marvel?? and kid cartoon wolverine

https://twitter.com/Wil_Moss/status/948622200185262080

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I cannot wait for another exceedingly quality exiles run to go for ten issues then get cancelled midstream.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

Saladin's doing an exiles books with an au ms marvel?? and kid cartoon wolverine

https://twitter.com/Wil_Moss/status/948622200185262080
C'mon, Gwenpool as the mystery member!

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This news has me VERY excited. Definitely gonna be looking into this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mr. Maltose posted:

I cannot wait for another exceedingly quality exiles run to go for ten issues then get cancelled midstream.

Lol truth

• Locked thread