Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

civ 4 beyond the sword is the best civilization. everything after it is swill for babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

signalnoise posted:

Super high end graphics poo poo is really impressive. 4K HDR poo poo that is designed for it generally looks amazing and I don't fault people for buying 144hz crazy rear end monitors if they can afford it, because it's just that fuckin nice. Graphical quality contributes to the experience of having a good time playing games beyond the aesthetic and while I appreciate technically efficient graphical styles, aint nothin wrong with being a "graphics whore" these days. Bring on the high res texture packs

what a hellish nightmare of an existence

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

signalnoise posted:

Super high end graphics poo poo is really impressive. 4K HDR poo poo that is designed for it generally looks amazing and I don't fault people for buying 144hz crazy rear end monitors if they can afford it, because it's just that fuckin nice. Graphical quality contributes to the experience of having a good time playing games beyond the aesthetic and while I appreciate technically efficient graphical styles, aint nothin wrong with being a "graphics whore" these days. Bring on the high res texture packs
I don't know, maybe it's because I've rarely seen graphical textures detailed enough to make 4K HDR stuff or it's because it's such a blatant example of encouraging kids to plunk down a ton more money on new tech they don't need, or that I grew up with N64/PS1 stuff that looked like refried rear end even back then, but it's really hard for me to care about 4K. My setup (1080p on a 50" screen) is plenty at the moment.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

4K is still not really the standard in that it costs an outrageous amount of money to play games well at that resolution, and it's not an incredible difference in the way throwing out your CRT and getting a flatscreen was.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

veni veni veni posted:

The whole point of Battlefield is dicking around. Who cares about ranked poo poo just get in a tank with some buddies and bs about life.

Bad company 2 was top ten MP games ever.

Agree. Even the sniping in this game was fun.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

mind the walrus posted:

I don't know, maybe it's because I've rarely seen graphical textures detailed enough to make 4K HDR stuff or it's because it's such a blatant example of encouraging kids to plunk down a ton more money on new tech they don't need, or that I grew up with N64/PS1 stuff that looked like refried rear end even back then, but it's really hard for me to care about 4K. My setup (1080p on a 50" screen) is plenty at the moment.

Some of the newer poo poo like Shadow of War is loving astounding in 4k. My dad is fairly non-plussed by most video game bullshit and even he was like "whoa".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

new phone who dis posted:

Some of the newer poo poo like Shadow of War is loving astounding in 4k. My dad is fairly non-plussed by most video game bullshit and even he was like "whoa".
I don't doubt it. It's just hard to get behind it when the Sony/Microsoft push to 4K is so blatantly a marketing tactic like "more bits" or "HD" were--not untrue but ultimately meaningless to your average consumer.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

signalnoise posted:

now with big 4k tvs I don't see how console players are going to be able to handle sub 30 fps and things like texture pop in and stuttering and aliasing in video games when it becomes blindingly obvious

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

civ 4 beyond the sword is the best civilization. everything after it is swill for babies

this is the unpopular opinions thread

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

mind the walrus posted:

The game has to be designed to support it. There are games that handle 4K really well and do HDR and all that poo poo on PS4 Pro and there are also games that are just like "ok cool boost mode will make it run at 60fps"

And yeah, 1080p 50" is plenty, but the stuff made for the high end running on the high end is cool as hell. It's all about the game's compatibility. If you were to use an emulator to get Vagrant Story rendered at 4k it'd still look like boiled rear end because the textures are awful.

dont even fink about it posted:

4K is still not really the standard in that it costs an outrageous amount of money to play games well at that resolution, and it's not an incredible difference in the way throwing out your CRT and getting a flatscreen was.

Great example because when games were made to run on CRTs they looked great and when displays were capable of making everything sharper, well people are still spending money to make their flatscreen display their SNES looking like it did on a CRT.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 was the best one

Well this is p. obvious.

Also SSX Tricky was the best one.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I had been getting really annoyed every time I saw a pixel-art game that billed itself as "8-bit" or "16-bit" style, or called out a specific system, but did absolutely nothing to replicate the actual color palettes of those systems.

Now I realize if I ignore that bullshit and just accept that it's retro-futurism, the games we wished we could have had back then, I'm okay with it, and I am starting to like a lot of these games. (I have played a lot of Dungeon Souls lately.)

It's getting to the point I can hardly bring myself to care about AAA anything, or anything trying to look like it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I like things that I remember!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I used to get annoyed by sprite-based games but Hotline Miami was so good that it made me like them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Wasn't being a faithful recreation of the actual NES style one of the selling points of Shovel Knight?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

I had been getting really annoyed every time I saw a pixel-art game that billed itself as "8-bit" or "16-bit" style, or called out a specific system, but did absolutely nothing to replicate the actual color palettes of those systems.

Now I realize if I ignore that bullshit and just accept that it's retro-futurism, the games we wished we could have had back then, I'm okay with it, and I am starting to like a lot of these games. (I have played a lot of Dungeon Souls lately.)

It's getting to the point I can hardly bring myself to care about AAA anything, or anything trying to look like it.
I get where you're coming from. My friend would try to emulate "classic rock" styles of the 60s-70s and his pastiche made his dad visibly cringe. I get the same feeling when I look at Vaporwave, especially because Vaporwave is meant to be a very specific twisted stripe of 80s/90s digital nostalgia and most kids boil it down to "pink + teal + shopping mall." Eh, whatever. Like you say once you learn to stop worrying and accept the retro-futurism there's fun to be had.

I've also grown really resentful of AAA stuff as a result. Looking at the games I have, the most recent AAA title I've played and enjoyed is Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, unless you count the Resident Evil: 0 HD rerelease which I don't because it's a loving rerelease. Man, I'm so goddamn old.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Wasn't being a faithful recreation of the actual NES style one of the selling points of Shovel Knight?
Yes. They did cheat a bit, but way less than you'd think:

1. They added 4 colors to the palette that wouldn't have been possible on the NES
2. They changed the resolution, obviously
3. No memory limits, so larger sprites, more animation simultaneously, number of colors used at once, etc. etc.
4. They used a late-gen Japan-only Famicom sound chip as a base for the music, creating much richer music than was possible on an NES while still technically being accurate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v9339JUK3U

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

"-punk" can suck my donger

mind the walrus posted:

4. They used a late-gen Japan-only Famicom sound chip as a base for the music, creating much richer music than was possible on an NES while still technically being accurate:

They also had Jake Kaufman for the task which is a pretty good advantage when making new original vg chiptune poo poo

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

mind the walrus posted:

I get where you're coming from. My friend would try to emulate "classic rock" styles of the 60s-70s and his pastiche made his dad visibly cringe. I get the same feeling when I look at Vaporwave, especially because Vaporwave is meant to be a very specific twisted stripe of 80s/90s digital nostalgia and most kids boil it down to "pink + teal + shopping mall." Eh, whatever. Like you say once you learn to stop worrying and accept the retro-futurism there's fun to be had.

It's kind of like retro bands.

There's bands like Steel Panther or Gama Bomb which are retro, and if you listen to them for the musical style it's hard to accept it because it's not quite right; but if you're listening to the actual words and accepting they're going for a remembered feeling more than anything else, they're okay.

Then there's bands like Ghost who make something completely new with old sounds. I'm okay with the former, but the latter is great.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

On 4K being nutso this is what Hellbade: Senua's Sacrifice looks like biggenized

That's just a small portion of

(4k version here )

and that is possible in motion just on a ps4 pro.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 31, 2017

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ok. Now how does that improve the game? I just had a rollicking time with a game that could have been made back in 1984. What about 4k makes the game mechanics more fun beyond sheer spectacle?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Yeah I've got a 980ti which isn't even top of the line at the moment and the things it does when plugged into my big TV are nuts.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

On 4K being nutso this is what Hellbade: Senua's Sacrifice looks like biggenized

this looks like poo poo tho

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

this is the unpopular opinions thread

Im happy to hear this sentence.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

mind the walrus posted:

Ok. Now how does that improve the game? I just had a rollicking time with a game that could have been made back in 1984. What about 4k makes the game mechanics more fun beyond sheer spectacle?

Being pretty to look at can be an end in and of itself, especially here in the hallowed ground of the unpopular gaming opinions thread

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I do respect that. I just think games have plateaued as far as 'needing' to be pretty. 8-32 bit 2D games were big jumps forwards. 3D games from the early 90s to Playstation, then PS2, then PS3 were all big jumps forwards. Around 2012 or so though, the jumps feel far more incremental and less essential to have adequate spectacle, especially now that developers have learned how to maximize aesthetic potential at more primitive technical levels. More power to you If 4K is the real deal in your eyes, I just resent being sold it as though it's 1996 and we're seeing Mario 64 for the first time.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Your opinion on it just depends on how much of a joyless and jaded adult you've become and how old you were when previous leaps forward happened, imo.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I actually have an answer! In that particular game it focuses heavily on the protagonist's psychosis and you, the player, are one of many disembodied voices floating around her. The quality of animation in all the little details, down to her blinking, combined with what I assume is intentional uncanny valley realism in the graphics, makes it actually sorta unnerving in the plot-heavy times that she looks directly at the camera. Also it's just loving cool to look at.

A good example of it just being rad would be WipEout Omega Collection in 4K with HDR.

It's not an issue of games "needing" to be pretty though. Like I said before the game has to support it, and there's not a ton you're going to be able to do with say Vib Ribbon to impress anyone graphically. For many games, making them look better can absolutely improve the experience of playing them though. Just take a look at Super Mario Galaxy running with the Wii's poo poo resolution and compare it to using Dolphin to raise that resolution to 1080p (because that game didn't do much with textures), or even just think of taking Galaxy and making it look as good as Super Mario Odyssey. If that difference means nothing to you then that's cool I guess, but I think it would.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 31, 2017

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jeza posted:

Your opinion on it just depends on how much of a joyless and jaded adult you've become and how old you were when previous leaps forward happened, imo.
You're right, but that doesn't make me wrong.

signalnoise posted:

I actually have an answer! In that particular game it focuses heavily on the protagonist's psychosis and you, the player, are one of many disembodied voices floating around her. The quality of animation in all the little details, down to her blinking, combined with what I assume is intentional uncanny valley realism in the graphics, makes it actually sorta unnerving in the plot-heavy times that she looks directly at the camera. Also it's just loving cool to look at.

A good example of it just being rad would be WipEout Omega Collection in 4K with HDR.
I'm skeptical but I believe that you believe this. I won't pretend to know better, but I would have to experience both side-by-side (1080p, then 4k) to disavow your assertions. Even so, that doesn't sound like anything necessary to enjoy the game, more like a +1 to immersive qualities. In prior graphical leaps forward there were always increased processing, memory, and storage leaps that allowed for improved mechanics, but with 4K I'm not really seeing that leap. Just more "I M M E R S I O N" buzz that only really works when you're 16 and still conflate cinematic presentation with mechanical depth.

quote:

what I assume is intentional uncanny valley realism in the graphics,
From what I've seen of the game I doubt this is the case.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I'm skeptical but I believe that you believe this. I won't pretend to know better, but I would have to experience both side-by-side (1080p, then 4k) to disavow your assertions. Even so, that doesn't sound like anything necessary to enjoy the game, more like a +1 to immersive qualities. In prior graphical leaps forward there were always increased processing, memory, and storage leaps that allowed for improved mechanics, but with 4K I'm not really seeing that leap. Just more "I M M E R S I O N" buzz that only really works when you're 16 and still conflate cinematic presentation with mechanical depth.

From what I've seen of the game I doubt this is the case.

+1 to immersive quality is an improvement though, right? Of course it's not necessary to enjoy the game, especially from a mechanical perspective, but I'm not a robot and I play games for an experience, and this does make that experience better. If you boil games down to their mechanics then you're eschewing graphics and audio anyway. In this particular game they leverage both, even making it more enjoyable/immersive if you use headphones, which they suggest you do, because they recorded the other disembodied voices to support directional audio. Most of the game is spent with another main voice floating around your head whispering in your ears. I wouldn't begin to say cinematic presentation equates to mechanical depth. It's just not that, but it does contribute to the experience of playing a video game. The same goes for movies, since you mention cinematic presentation. Knowing the plot of a movie and reading the script and all that, if you were to receive an understanding of a movie's moving parts, it would not equate to having watched the movie.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

For a purely mechanical improvement, sort of, I can tell you straight up that having a 144hz g-sync or whatever monitor can give you an advantage in first person shooters. It won't directly make you some kind of fps god, but for most people it reduces the difficulty of making sense of what is going on in a fight, making it easier to spot and shoot your target.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Jeza posted:

Extremely joyless and incredibly jaded gamer here,

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Actually one thing that bugs me is people saying people don't like X because they hate joy and fun. Bitch I love fun, I bounced off No Mans Sky because I didn't experience fun

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

signalnoise posted:

+1 to immersive quality is an improvement though, right? Of course it's not necessary to enjoy the game, especially from a mechanical perspective, but I'm not a robot and I play games for an experience, and this does make that experience better.
Then we agree, only you're attacking me because you didn't make a convincing sale.

quote:

If you boil games down to their mechanics then you're eschewing graphics and audio anyway.
Graphical display is essential for any video game, and for real life board games too. We call it eyesight. Audio isn't necessary.

quote:

In this particular game they leverage both, even making it more enjoyable/immersive if you use headphones, which they suggest you do, because they recorded the other disembodied voices to support directional audio. Most of the game is spent with another main voice floating around your head whispering in your ears.
This is a valid point, and I don't dispute it, but headphones and a 1080p monitor you've had sitting around since 2008 should be more than enough to achieve those ends, because mechanically the game would have been identical.

You could not say the same about any "cutting edge" gaming experience between 1977-88, 1987-1998, or 1997-2008. The tech has plateaued immensely, which has been amazing for the industry, which is why it chafes my bacon to see Microsoft/Sony working so hard to get teenagers into the mindset that 4K is similarly essential. Motion controls dead-ended, VR has a ways to go, and they're clearly using 4K as marketing leverage.

quote:

I wouldn't begin to say cinematic presentation equates to mechanical depth. It's just not that, but it does contribute to the experience of playing a video game.
I love the Metal Gear Solid games. I also quit playing V because the intro sequence was terrible and now that I'm an adult the notion of wasting 2+ hours of my life to get to the "good part" of a game doesn't appeal to me, and I have a similar attitude towards movies/books/music now. Slow burns just don't seem that profound anymore. Now note that "slow burn" isn't the same as "slow-paced."

quote:

The same goes for movies, since you mention cinematic presentation. Knowing the plot of a movie and reading the script and all that, if you were to receive an understanding of a movie's moving parts, it would not equate to having watched the movie.
Also true. A bit intentionally faulty, but I've gone on long enough.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Actually one thing that bugs me is people saying people don't like X because they hate joy and fun. Bitch I love fun, I bounced off No Mans Sky because I didn't experience fun

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I dunno where you got the idea that I was attacking you, you were the dude to reply to because your posts had the most meat on em.

You keep going on with this "necessary" stuff though and it's kind of ridiculous. I'm not, haven't, and was never going to argue that high end stuff is necessary. I said it was impressive and can contribute to a better experience. If you're gonna throw out specific games of counterexamples that works if you are hitting what I'm saying, but I said multiple times the game itself matters. In any video game I think the gameplay matters more than the graphics. If it didn't, I'd just go watch tech demos instead of actually playing games. Necessity happens at the lowest end of whatever you're talking about though. If something is necessary for a game to be fun, you absolutely must have it for the game to be fun, those are basically the same sentence. I am not concerned with games at a crossroads of being fun where better graphics makes that jump. For games that are already fun, this stuff can make the experience of playing that fun game a better experience. I suppose that hinges on whether or not the player would be impressed, and I am, maybe you aren't, but this aint a thread about objective truths.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

VideoTapir posted:

It's kind of like retro bands.

There's bands like Steel Panther or Gama Bomb which are retro, and if you listen to them for the musical style it's hard to accept it because it's not quite right; but if you're listening to the actual words and accepting they're going for a remembered feeling more than anything else, they're okay.

Then there's bands like Ghost who make something completely new with old sounds. I'm okay with the former, but the latter is great.

Steel Panther is a blast! Go see them!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mind the walrus posted:

Then we agree, only you're attacking me because you didn't make a convincing sale.

Lol don’t get so high and mighty. You literally pulled the “I believe that you believe” it condescension my dude. I have no plans to upgrade to 4K anytime soon and I still want to give you a swirly.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Good audio design is pretty necessary in any game that requires 3D orientation. We as humans don't keep ourselves oriented with eyesight alone. And audio feedback is crucial for finding out about what is going on outside your FOV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The only good games are ones with no audio or visual components.