Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bootcha posted:

Anyone got the refund subreddit banner handy?

I could reaaaaally use it.

I don't but I do want to compliment you on some awesome, well written videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Holy poo poo they're selling tanks

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This is unreal

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

:lol: That link is blocked by ESET as being probably phising. Because of attempts to fill out personal and/or creditcard information.

Star Citizen: even ESET thinks it's a scam

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
they've been selling that tonk all week now, I think they're running out of ideas for new shits

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mjotto posted:

:lol: That link is blocked by ESET as being probably phising. Because of attempts to fill out personal and/or creditcard information.

Star Citizen: even ESET thinks it's a scam

imo all link shorteners should be considered malicious, but that's a topic for another thread.
is bit.ly the one that spams ads?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Zzr posted:

quote:

LOL!! This just popped up in my daily Google Alerts

https://testsquadron.com/threads/he...witter-d.12571/
Did you create a bot that scan the internet at night, able to reach the remotest places, and send you an alert when a new occurence of your name is being invoked ?

I did say "Google Alerts", didn't I?

https://www.google.com/alerts

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Truga posted:

they've been selling that tonk all week now, I think they're running out of ideas for new shits

I'm sorry, hold on, this has been selling all loving week?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Bootcha posted:

https://i.imgur.com/8b6El4t.jpg seems to be the highest resolution I could find. Commencing :f5:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bootcha posted:

I pulled this out of the subreddit settings but Galarox may have a better/fuller version

efb

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm pretty sure Beer's effort postings were the equivalent of a man screaming at himself in a dream to wake up before he pisses himself.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

I'm sorry, hold on, this has been selling all loving week?

A few days at least. At first, it was only available to superbackers:

this is like 10 days old now

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Truga posted:

A few days at least. At first, it was only available to superbackers:

this is like 10 days old now

Of course it has multiple paint jobs because of all the ice planets DLC opportunities

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm going to buy the green camo in case they release a green planet someday.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm going to buy the green camo in case they release a green planet someday.

Also may want to pick up an orange one too for the inevitable fire level

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Also may want to pick up an orange one too for the inevitable fire level

Court auction orange

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

To clarify something I'm not entirely certain of. Is Smart supposedly in the middle of making a game? Or something? Like a project for which he has taken money from people on the basis of some kind of good faith agreement to return a product that represents some kind of advertised vision?

I know there's something out there called Line of Defense and maybe some other project but the line between joke and reality has completely blurred for me.

Line Of Defense first went public in Sept 2014 via Steam early access.

In April 2016 I moved it to closed beta (and disabled the Steam store page) while trying to figure out whether or not to complete it with the abandoned Havok Vision Engine, or to port it.

In late 2106, after reaching a certain milestone, I made the decision to port it to UE4 in order to retain the multi-platform target (it was already approved for XB1 & PS4 by the platform holders). Pretty much the same boat that other devs (e.g. Novus AEterna guys who had to port to Unity3D) were in

Early access is not the same as crowd-funding. But that hasn't prevented morons from trying to make them the same thing. Despite the fact that Steam is pretty clear on their stance.

With that going on, I've also been updating my older space/planet fighter combat game, as well as working on the visual and other improvements for my Magnum Opus series, Universal Combat, and also updating its predecessor.

Things are slow for me because I don't have the luxury of spending other people's money, let alone having studios all over the world and on someone else's dime. I do what I do, and I eventually get it done, because that's who I am.

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 30, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ComfyPants posted:

Looks like the Star Citizen Anti-Defamation Brigade found my Chris Roberts Desktop Commander video.

http://i68.tinypic.com/3485cea.png (imgur uploads aren't working right now)

I Tweeted it, that's probably why. Those guys stalk me on social media 24-7.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/946812798851538944

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

he's mentioned it several times before because it's not a secret, it's just what you do when you're mildly A Name and love starting poo poo on the internet.

Not really. It's a branding thing. That's why companies, celebs and PR companies use it. Heck, go to the page right now, and you will see a whole list of suggested alerts from Google.

I particularly love reading about my namesake, a cop in Ireland. I've kept up to speed on his career, big cases, promotions etc. Lovely chap.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jonny Nox posted:

I refuse to believe anyone paid 99 bucks for a game Derek Smart openly admits only appeals to Derek Smart.

Edit: erm.... derek smart.

PSA: Don't believe everything you read on the Internet http://lodgame.com/store/

Also, don't forget to call your parents and tell them you love them

----------------

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

D_Smart posted:

In April 2016 I moved it to closed beta (and disabled the Steam store page) while trying to figure out whether or not to complete it with the abandoned Havok Vision Engine, or to port it.

In late 2106, after reaching a certain milestone, I made the decision to port it to UE4 in order to retain the multi-platform target (it was already approved for XB1 & PS4 by the platform holders). Pretty much the same boat that other devs (e.g. Novus AEterna guys who had to port to Unity3D) were in

Early access is not the same as crowd-funding. But that hasn't prevented morons from trying to make them the same thing. Despite the fact that Steam is pretty clear on their stance.

With that going on, I've also been updating my older space/planet fighter combat game, as well as working on the visual and other improvements for my Magnum Opus series, Universal Combat, and also updating its predecessor.

Things are slow for me because I don't have the luxury of spending other people's money, let alone having studios all over the world and on someone else's dime. I do what I do, and I eventually get it done, because that's who I am.

Timeline confirmed.

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

$95 for a tank, in a game where tanks haven't been made yet, ground vehicle combat hasn't been finalised yet, and the tanks useful-ness is completely unknown.

What a shitshow

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

mrchinchin25 posted:

$95 for a tank, in a game where tanks haven't been made yet, ground vehicle combat hasn't been finalised yet, and the tanks useful-ness is completely unknown.

What a shitshow

Bunch of Tankers.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

mrchinchin25 posted:

Just think how much the tanks will sell for once these details have been worked out. $95 is a bargain!

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE
yeah tanks but no tanks

(I bet we've not said that yet)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

mrchinchin25 posted:

What a shitshow

Just think! Now citizens will need light tanks, heavy tanks, tank destroyers, anti-tank guns for existing ships, new anti-tank spaceships, anti-armour missiles to go in the launchers, man-portable anti-tank rocket launchers, railguns, heavy lasers, heavy and light vehicle dropships. Think of the possibilities, man!

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Maybe it's just me, but I think the backgrounds on the concept sales becoming actual photos with a render photoshopped in might be one of the first really obvious cracks showing the decay of Star Citizen. Rather then show off their "awesome" in game planets, they've been using generic photos and the only reason I can come up with is to save time and money on the art for the newer concept sales.

BTW, anyone find the original photo yet?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Talez posted:

Take Two and the rest of the publishers you bankrupted gave you at least FOUR YEARS you incompetent piece of poo poo. Give me back my $40. At least Freelancer was actually good once they got rid of CR and got it actually out the door.

OK clearly this is a troll, right? RIGHT?!?!

Which publisher did I bankrupt?

And I don't owe you poo poo. You didn't buy anything from me. So cry me a loving river.

If you think your profanity laced diatribe is going to do anything but make you look like a impish clown, you're as misguided as the $40 you spent on crack (clearly you didn't buy my game, seeing as even the basic & well-known facts elude you).

----------------

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

Sounds right, based on your current progression.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

And I don't owe you poo poo. You didn't buy anything from me. So cry me a loving river.

If you think your profanity laced diatribe is going to do anything but make you look like a impish clown, you're as misguided as the $40 you spent on crack (clearly you didn't buy my game, seeing as even the basic & well-known facts elude you).

:bravo:

:five::five::five:

:bravo:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Happy New Year, Goonailures. My gift to you is a(nother) bad video, featuring Kayak and dead-faced spacemans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZDoqAk0Mio

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

D_Smart posted:

if it wasnt for you Star Citizen would have a publisher already.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CrazyTolradi posted:

Also, Take Two didn't go bankrupt you idiot, they loving own Bethsoft and a bunch of other studios now days.

That aside from the fact that BC3K was one of the titles that helped Take Two go public. Says so - right there - in the initial SEC offering. Notice how most of their other games which were out at the time, aren't listed? The reason? They didn't mean the revenue threshold.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Latin Pheonix posted:

So it looks like some people on Reddit have pinpointed the reason (or, at least, one of the reasons) that FPS tanks way worse than even Star Citizen's lovely engine should tank. It turns out that if you have a ship in flight-ready mode, full of cargo and open one of the cargo doors the server shits itself and FPS drops to single digit numbers for everyone.

Looks like this bug is repeatable quite easily:

One possible theory is suggested:

Anyone who owns a cargo jpeg feel like repeating the steps above to kill a server? Please record it if so! (Bonus points if you say "Hey guys, what has 20 players and 0 frames per second? THIS SERVER!" before pushing the button to open your doors :v:).

It's bullshit. And they're all loving morons.

It has nothing to do with it being flight ready or not. Opening the bay door exposes the cargo into the vis culling frustum, which then initializes the physics for each entity. It's no different from blowing up a ship and all its cargo gets ejected. If you've seen that vid of the Caterpillar exploding, that's the same thing.

----------------

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mrchinchin25 posted:

What a shitshow

yeah, but
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-04-10-world-of-tanks-leads-the-way-in-average-revenue-per-user

quote:

World of Tanks generated more revenue per user than any other major online game in the last 12 months, according to a new report from SuperData.

article from 2014, though that does make me wonder. Was SC included? Probably not cause not a game, but...

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

Happy New Year, Goonailures. My gift to you is a(nother) bad video, featuring Kayak and dead-faced spacemans.

:unsmith: A++ would watch doge again.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bootcha posted:

I have the full version in my Goon meme archive

----------------

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

G0RF posted:

If only CIG’s Community Management team had thought of this before. I guess the Intern That Reads This Thread didn’t pass those tips along two years ago for some reason.

I don’t get it, Intern... You read it. Lots of your coworkers did, too — I heard back from some. They, too, were horrified at how terrible your community could be and how poorly your team handled Community Management. So what happened?

1) If Citizens of the Stars is your answer, Ima give you a C-. For effort. There are some nice guys out there for sure — Baron, Bored, Gheesling, and that streamer SuperNerdGuy or something (I can’t remember his exact handle but he’s GReAT and even handles trolls/goons like a champ) — but you need a programmatic approach. And by “programmatic” I don’t mean “you need to put them in your silly YouTube programming.”

2) A big fat “F”, as in Fat. You’ve put out over 100 videos in that time and hardly a one of them does that which is most critical, seeing as as how your Marketing Leadership spoke of “taking the pressure of current backers” and getting new ones in.

3) :lol::lol::lol:

4) Another “F”. Well, I guess given the toxicity of your Orwellian moderation staff, this was kind of a big ask. But the stupidity of driving out even mild critics and curbstomping dissent over the years while nodding approvingly as toxic acolytes like AgentMothman and StupidQuestionBot took the same fight to reddit has turned those you could’ve easily won back into yet more exiles and enemies who are more than happy to spread motivated dissent elsewhere, anywhere. Congrats on the Balkanization and I hope you’re enjoying seeing the subject of your game always, always, ALWAYS provoke angry endless debates anywhere and everywhere.

5) How about a D, as in “Dammit you blew this, too.” Well, you finally sidelined the world’s biggest Chris Roberts fanboy, then you replaced him with another turbo-suck-up. I guess neckbeard cultivation is a demographic strategy or something? Replacing Ben with Lando was nearly zero sum, but it hardly matters when you’ve left the person least interested in your game, gaming in general, or even work in general actually sitting in the co-host seat the whole time. Even a lot of your core backers are sick of her, CIG. Sick of her disinterest, he spotlight hogging, her undisguised pursuit of an unsuccessful acting career, her Star Kitten Referral Program strokes of genius, her fake persona and feigned sincerity and all the rest that comes with her. She needs to be free to pursue her great passion full time, for she has so much more to give that will end up on figurative cutting room floors. She has long proven prodigious at this, so why not tap into the wisdom of a dozen unnamed editors out there and put her on your cutting room floor by now?

I don’t even know who to suggest as replacements since Sean is going on NewEgg shows parroting Chris’s malarkey about how huge the game is. He’s still beloved though, trusted and has a friendly “authentic” personality that comes across well on screen. And you need seemingly authentic personalities as your public faces. Lando feels fake and glib and dear lord people have had more than their fill of that by now!

Cherie is great yet you plopped her on your worst show of all and have her stuck reading Lore most of the time. See how much happier and more natural people are when they’re interacting with other and not stuck reading theorycrafted fictions that would take a century to actually get in game?

She knows the game far better than the VP of Marketing and is 1000x more natural and warm, and I’d still suggest she’s got exactly the kind of “adorkable” persona that is so battletested and reliable in video game promotion that it is seen as obligatory everywhere else, save for the fact that your backer base has enough creeps and windowlickers in it that maybe she’d be safer hidden from view completely. (But whether you elevate her or someone like her, you need to retire the Terminatrix.)

Yet still, if she had even the slight willingness to take on the role, you’d win a LOT of goodwill because she is adored for her goofy fun smart personality. Look at the gentler YouTube comments and you’ll see exactly what I mean.

The market is telling you something. Loudly. Repeatedly. Plainly.

“Are you there, CIG? It’s me, Market.”

LISTEN to it for a change.

Whoever you get, you need new faces, stat. This is so obvious and you actually could rejuvenate an exhausted formula by cycling out the faker brigade Sandi leads and putting in some actual male and female human beings who love gaming in general and YOUR game in particular.

All of this sound, obvious advice is sure to be ignored yet again in the relentless repetition of the self-interested and self-defeating. So I look forward to more, and worse, for as long as possible. Keep doing what you’re doing!

Takedown status: brutal G0RF

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

intardnation posted:

if it wasnt for you Star Citizen would have a publisher already.

I concede the point :negative:

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

Video of the year. :kayak: :kayak: :kayak: :kayak: :kayak: