Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Darkwood is super good so far if you want a depressing game about being trapped in a forest that hates you personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I started playing Darkwood this week and some parts of it are good but I am not sure if I am feeling it to be honest, don't know how much longer I will be sticking with it. A lot of the mechanical bits, specifically the ones related to inventory management, are obscure in tedious ways, and the game never actually mentions that you have a journal and can access it so I am glad I spoiled myself looking poo poo up in regards to how see the drat invitation again to figure that out.

Anyway about to leave the first area and hope it picks up after this because so far its been disappointing. Hope my playing on finite lives mode doesnt screw me over but I havent died yet so we will see.

Atmosphere and world is great dont get me wrong, its just everything about the actual gameplay I am not enjoying.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If nothing else, the doctor and local medicine man protagonist POVs from Pathologic 1 are still around. I haven't seen anything one way or another regarding the Devotress/Impostress/Changeling.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Can we talk about SOMA?

I really like the coin flip theory. Some people think its bullshit, obviously it looks like that if you look it from an outsider's perspective

But what if, knowing that a potential mind copy could result in your copy waking up in literal apocalypse, wouldnt you be terrified?

I dont think I could participate in the test knowing I might actually feel my mind transferred and losing the coin toss so to speak.

Are there other media that explore this idea from horror perspective?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The point was there was no coin toss, his consciousness always carried on in all bodies and he was a freaking idiot.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Sakurazuka posted:

The point was there was no coin toss, his consciousness always carried on in all bodies and he was a freaking idiot.

yeah this

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yeah but knowing all this would you still participate in your friend's experiment?

I wouldnt chance it in a million years

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WaltherFeng posted:

Yeah but knowing all this would you still participate in your friend's experiment?

It's the same reason I probably wouldn't participate in a teleportation experiment in real life. If the theory is true that you're simply being killed and a perfect clone is being reconstructed on the other side, who's to say your consciousness will transfer? You'd just be entering an elaborate suicide booth.

Same with brain uploading. If your consciousness doesn't transfer, you're simply creating a program that acts like you and continuing on to your demise.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

WaltherFeng posted:

Yeah, totally, I just wouldn't pretend like the copy was anything other than a different person.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Nier Automata has at least small plot detail on the same concept (i havent completed the game so I dont know how far this goes)

2B and 9S are killed in the prologue, but because they are androids they can just make a backup save of their data and upload it to a new body, but its still just a backup and the original data can exist until the body perishes.

They are obviously relieved because they survived even though they know they are always backups of countless versions of themselves

I doubt any players felt they arent the real them either despite of this

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Both consciousnesses will always think they are the real one, and in a way they both are. To both of them, their existence feels continuous. It explains why Simon continues to believe there is a coin toss up until the end of the game. He never has to deal with the repercussions of cloning himself as well, so it's much easier for him to dismiss the obvious truth than it is to come to the conclusion that his current consciousness will never actually experience the "coin toss."

I also don't think it's fair to call Simon an idiot, though he is certainly foolish at times. At the start of the game he was just a regular guy who went in for some sort of brain scan right before waking up in the apocalypse at the bottom of the ocean as a robot. How many people could honestly say they would be 100% clear minded in that kind of situation?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

How many people could honestly say they would be 100% clear minded in that kind of situation?
It'd be hard, but I feel like all this is for sure a thing you'd want to take a minute and do the math on if you were the guy in that situation before going and doing what he did. Also if you even for once ask why all the other characters are killing themselves, you get the answer, and it seems unlikely that he wouldn't once think about that.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I think there's a little more to it than that. his brain scan is described as not being on par with the other scans. "More flat" iirc. That could mean a lot of things of course, but it does suggest his scan isn't a lossless copy.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mindblast posted:

I think there's a little more to it than that. his brain scan is described as not being on par with the other scans. "More flat" iirc. That could mean a lot of things of course, but it does suggest his scan isn't a lossless copy.

And he had brain damage.

Catherine's journals do suggest that template scans (like what Simon is) are cognitively reduced. She writes about her own pre-WAU scan as if it were less than human and doesn't seem to have any moral qualms about experimenting with it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

goferchan posted:

Where did you hear they're switching to a single character POV? That's news to me

The demo they had only had the bachelor so I'm only assuming baselessly. Don't really know much of how Pathologic 2 could go.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

On the SOMA discussion, I just wanted to drop this Sci Fi short story here. It deals with the whole transfer of consciousness and cloning.

http://www.eidolon.net/?story=The%20Extra

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm surprised nobody brought up the extra when discussing get out. it's the first thing that popped into my head after the reveal.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I asked this before but there was another short story similar to The Extra that I can't remember the name of. It's about an obese man who transfers his consciousness to a healthier clone but he retains the perspective of his old body. They send the old body to a farm where he works until he loses weight. He's released from this farm and on the way back home he meets his clone, now obese, entering the clone clinic.

It stuck with me for a while but drat if I can find it.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Pretty sure you're talking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Farm (both this and the extra were previously linked in this? thread when SOMA first came out). If you google the title there's a pdf of it on the first page.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

King of Bleh posted:

Pretty sure you're talking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Farm (both this and the extra were previously linked in this? thread when SOMA first came out). If you google the title there's a pdf of it on the first page.

Wow an Orson Scott Card story I actually enjoyed. First time for everything.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bogart posted:

If nothing else, the doctor and local medicine man protagonist POVs from Pathologic 1 are still around. I haven't seen anything one way or another regarding the Devotress/Impostress/Changeling.

They've mentioned her, so we'll definitely still get the three distinct POVs. Clara is pretty important to the game's mythology.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

GlyphGryph posted:

I started playing Darkwood this week and some parts of it are good but I am not sure if I am feeling it to be honest, don't know how much longer I will be sticking with it. A lot of the mechanical bits, specifically the ones related to inventory management, are obscure in tedious ways, and the game never actually mentions that you have a journal and can access it so I am glad I spoiled myself looking poo poo up in regards to how see the drat invitation again to figure that out.

Anyway about to leave the first area and hope it picks up after this because so far its been disappointing. Hope my playing on finite lives mode doesnt screw me over but I havent died yet so we will see.

Atmosphere and world is great dont get me wrong, its just everything about the actual gameplay I am not enjoying.

As an aside, if anyone out there has played Darkwood and wants something similar, give The Sick Land a read. I don't know if it was an influence on Darkwood, but the idea of a remote area that warps and hates everyone within it runs deep.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I will check it out, thanks.

On the darkwood front, I know it loves to not explain things a point of pride but I really wish it would explain the basic poo poo like how the gently caress doors work because I cant really figure out what nonsense is going on there. You would think piling a bunch of stuff in front of a door might provide some sort of obstacle - why else would you be able to push it around? But the moment anyone touches a door it all just goes flying away.

Also apparently dudes can just... walk through doors? Am i not locking these for some reason? Is there a way to lock them I am missing? Its not like this is a game without locks, hell some of these doors STARTED locked. I could barricade it, but then I cant leave without destroying my equipment so uh screw that.

Also they can open both ways because ???

Oh and apparently enemy melee attacks go through obstacles, so I just had my first death. They dont break obstacles or nothing they just ignore them and pass through. Didnt see that coming. Attacks can pass through doors too. I dunno yet about walls but I am going to have to assume that if I stand near a wall at this point anything outside will be able to melee attack me if it wants.

It all just feels so damned frustrating, and not in a good way. And the primary gameplay loop of babying your remarkably fragile equipment, which you cant upgrade for some reason even though you did what it says needs to be done to upgrade it, isnt particularly compelling.

Which sucks because there is so much to love about it but I am loathe to pick it back up because i hate actually playing it.

Maybe I should just watch a Lets Play instead and save myself the headache

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
If you guys like FMV horrors check out "The Infectious Madness Of Doctor Dekker" on steam. It's lovecraftian horror at it's hammiest. I enjoyed it a lot even if the text parser was just awful imo. It also doesn't close all it's narrative threads too, so if that stuff infuriates you, be careful.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

As an aside, if anyone out there has played Darkwood and wants something similar, give The Sick Land a read. I don't know if it was an influence on Darkwood, but the idea of a remote area that warps and hates everyone within it runs deep.

I've read a bit already and it's great. Thanks.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sick Land's a decent read. I still think everything that happens after Alex enters Victoria is him dying and losing his mind, though.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I have a hard time with the SOMA thing because, frankly, who gives a poo poo about whether you are not the specific consciousness? If you're not around anymore and the thing walking around is you, then it's you. I just don't understand the fear or hang up. I loved the game but I just did not find the consciousness thing to even be a issue worth thinking twice about. Shame I'm too dumb to read Being No One and then could copy paste things about static consciousness being a bit silly anyway.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Faffel posted:

I have a hard time with the SOMA thing because, frankly, who gives a poo poo about whether you are not the specific consciousness? If you're not around anymore and the thing walking around is you, then it's you. I just don't understand the fear or hang up. I loved the game but I just did not find the consciousness thing to even be a issue worth thinking twice about. Shame I'm too dumb to read Being No One and then could copy paste things about static consciousness being a bit silly anyway.

I mean some people aren't into the whole "being dead" thing. Weird, i know.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Faffel posted:

Materialism is a self-refuting ideology read berkeley

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Faffel posted:

because you're dead, dummy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Meallan posted:

If you guys like FMV horrors check out "The Infectious Madness Of Doctor Dekker" on steam. It's lovecraftian horror at it's hammiest. I enjoyed it a lot even if the text parser was just awful imo. It also doesn't close all it's narrative threads too, so if that stuff infuriates you, be careful.

I liked it a lot, though some of the FMV actors are a lot better than others. The ones that properly ham it up (like your... assistant? I guess she's an assistant) are great fun.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Fil5000 posted:

I liked it a lot, though some of the FMV actors are a lot better than others. The ones that properly ham it up (like your... assistant? I guess she's an assistant) are great fun.

Guy who was in Contradiction: Spot the Liar was great, far as I saw.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
SOMA’s central conceits all being from freshman philosophy courses kinda ruined any appeal for me.

Generally if the horror trope would work if you added “heyyyy mannnn, like what if” in front, it will likely only work for me as satire.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 31, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol ok.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Discendo Vox posted:

SOMA’s central conceits all being from freshman philosophy courses kinda ruined any appeal for me.

Generally if the horror trope would work if you added “heyyyy mannnn, like what if” in front, it will likely only work for me as satire.

:holymoley:

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Materialism is a self-refuting ideology read berkeley

Being No One isn't a book about ideology, it's an attempt to making a first step in bridging the gap between neuroscience and philosophy as an approach to an overall theory of mind or some bullshit. That's why I ain't reading it because like 75% of it is pretty impenetrable unless you really care. I guess it's ideological but it's not supposed to be prescribing ideology.

Also the 'being dead' thing is what makes the entire thing a stupid, roundabout argument that nobody can actually come to any valuable conclusion on either side of the fence. That's mostly why I thought that part of the SOMA plot was unengaging.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 31, 2017

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i'm scared of being dead, myself.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Creators of Amnesia make aesthetically beautiful but hamhandedly dumb game with major “twists “ visible from the first couple chapters, news at 11.

The news is that you were dead all along and lacked agency, ooh so spooky, death

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 31, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there weren't really any twists. i feel like you might be a lot dumber than you think you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i was dreading madhouse mia because i heard she was hard (since you dont have the gear that makes blocking nullify 100% of damage) but i beat her on my first try... you just stay the gently caress back and shoot her in the head. i didnt even take damage

i died to her on the first axe fight though and had to use both pots