Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Thanks for your helpful link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ66D7G1w4s*

*This is all I could find
Welp, it's gone, only the link to a shady external site remains. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

quote:

Death on Ama Dablam
Tragedy on the popular Nepal 6000er Ama Dablam. Russian Valery Rozov died when his wingsuit flight hit the rocks on Ama Dablam at 6814m. Valery was 52 years old, a Red Bull athlete and had aspirations of flying off the 7 Summits. He was training for Mt. Everest. He had previously set an altitude record off Cho Oyu as seen in this video. Rozov spent in free fall for 90 seconds and landed on the glacier at an altitude of 6000 meters above sea level.
Here's video of one of his previous jumps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQjp0DgqWpg

pancreatic cancer
Jul 27, 2010
has there been any news on those polish dudes who are gonna try to climb k2 in winter? when's that supposed to happen? i would like to offer a preemptive RIP

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
What was the count?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Woodchip posted:

What was the count?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Today, a Disney Children's cartoon made fun of rich people not surviving climbing Everest

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Today, a Disney Children's cartoon made fun of rich people not surviving climbing Everest

Not just rich people, but also the commercialization of it, and people screwing others over to get to the top, and that's got to be a tribute to green boots due to a weird focus on a disembodied boot for a second. I though of this thread after seeing it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Quixotic1 posted:

Not just rich people, but also the commercialization of it, and people screwing others over to get to the top, and that's got to be a tribute to green boots due to a weird focus on a disembodied boot for a second. I though of this thread after seeing it.

He even has the green boots stache

Morbus
May 18, 2004

pancreatic cancer posted:

has there been any news on those polish dudes who are gonna try to climb k2 in winter? when's that supposed to happen? i would like to offer a preemptive RIP

Last I read they were making final preparations and set to fly to Pakistan by end of December.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
HAPPY (Kathmandu version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyAxYa_BszU

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 10, 2017

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
2 Climbers Dead, 4 Injured on Mount Olympos, Greece

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Cause of death: Lightning bolted by zeus

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Cause of death: hosed to death by zeus

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/18/sports/everest-deaths.html

A morbid article about the recovery of one of the bodies from the failed Indian expedition last year. Has some great animations and graphics of the mountain, though.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/943609602997923846

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/943610473748017152

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/943611416103317508

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

That Times article is amazing.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Yeah those pieces where they combine text, short videos and animations are great.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

Yeah those pieces where they combine text, short videos and animations are great.

You’re the mountaineer now, dog.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You're the mountaineer now, dog.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

RCarr posted:

You're the mountaineer now, dog.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
You can no longer sell an arm and a leg to fund an Everest climb.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/30/mount-everest-nepal-ban-blind-people-and-disabled

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Some good changes in the new regulations, it seems. High altitude workers get a summit certificate now, which I remember being a big deal for finding work every year. I imagine the experienced/professional climbers will be chafed re: no solo climbers, but whatever, who cares.

The article posted:

One veteran climber, Alan Arnette, said the ban on amputee and visually impaired climbers was prejudiced, ignorant and irrational. “If this is about protecting people from their own ambitions, then over half of the annual climbers should be banned each year as they lack the experience to safely climb Everest,” he wrote on his blog.

No poo poo, dude.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

No worries, China doesn't discriminate against your highly elaborate and expensive mt everest suicide scheme... Yet.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Minrad posted:

No worries, China doesn't discriminate against your highly elaborate and expensive mt everest suicide scheme... Yet.

7 - I'm getting my bid in early this year.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Minrad posted:

They will mock you as a fat, decadent borgousie in a film though

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Wait, how many of the historic dead were actually disabled compared to able bodied people? Is there a ratio we can compare? Like how many deaths of disabled compared to attempts vs able bodied deaths to able climbers?

Kick out the people who practice in gyms once a week. Those ones are guaranteed to die.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Picnic Princess posted:

Wait, how many of the historic dead were actually disabled compared to able bodied people?
Are we counting "disabled when reaching base camp" or "disabled when leaving summit"?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Picnic Princess posted:

Wait, how many of the historic dead were actually disabled compared to able bodied people? Is there a ratio we can compare? Like how many deaths of disabled compared to attempts vs able bodied deaths to able climbers?

Kick out the people who practice in gyms once a week. Those ones are guaranteed to die.

Harder to really do that since how can they even go about mandating training regimens, so this is a measure that sounds like it's helping when I'm really not sure that it does. I guess I'm not qualified to really weigh in on any of it at all anyway but I can understand why a disabled person who trains very loving hard and doesn't endanger people on a climb would feel hurt by this.

But yeah, it's a very complicated thing and something needs to be done I feel since just leaving it at "let 'em all go, gently caress them" means that people who train hard and are more suited/ready to be making that climb are endangered needlessly given the number of climbers.

The solo ascent plan is... whew, I can only imagine how pissed some people are.

from the article:

quote:

According to the Himalayan Database, 29 people with disabilities have attempted to climb Everest, and 15 have reached the top. Two – Phur Yemba Sherpa in 2014 and Thomas Weber in 2006 – died on the mountain.

Another 288 non-disabled people have died on Everest from 8,306 attempts since 1953. Six people died this year, and 648 reached the summit, the second-highest for a single climbing season. Around 237 climbed from the Tibetan side.

but yeah, anyway, nothin' stopping folks from going to China

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I feel like the ban on solo ascents was almost entirely over steck's death.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Eleven persons will die climbing Everest (EEV-rist) in the coming season.

The Steckre is most displeased by these new regulations, and eleven is more than a double amputee can count to.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Limiting the total number of summit permits every year would probably do a better job of preventing deaths than just telling the blind/amputee/solo climbers to gently caress off. That would decrease the amount of money the government is getting though so :shrug:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sirotan posted:

Limiting the total number of summit permits every year would probably do a better job of preventing deaths than just telling the blind/amputee/solo climbers to gently caress off. That would decrease the amount of money the government is getting though so :shrug:

Cut the permit count 40% and auction the remainder as non-transferrable, would probably increase revenue

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The already significantly reduced the permit cost, I doubt they could afford to reduce the amount of permits.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

2018 rides in like a pale horse with a pale rider on a pale mountain covered by pale bodies.

PSoT predicts 5 this year will become victim to homolungma, the most fabulous of the Himalgayas.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Let's just not do the whole death thing. Every year, we get a bunch of GBS dipshits coming in to poo poo up the thread because of it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah if someone wants to do it just post a strawpoll or whatever so it can at least be contained to something that isnt just twenty dozen number posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Cojawfee posted:

Let's just not do the whole death thing. Every year, we get a bunch of GBS dipshits coming in to poo poo up the thread because of it.

It also ends up being super dull scrolling past the
pages of predictions

I said the same last year and just got shouted down for being too sensitive or something

It's nothing to do with being offended, it's just kinda sucks and rather ruins what is a good thread

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 1, 2018