Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The difficulty in Dusk seemed to jump quite a bit between Episode 1 and 2. Never really had a problem in EP1 but EP2 it seems like I'm constantly low on health.

I think I'm gonna go play more Dusk now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The difficulty in Dusk seemed to jump quite a bit between Episode 1 and 2. Never really had a problem in EP1 but EP2 it seems like I'm constantly low on health.

I think I'm gonna go play more Dusk now.

2 is for sure harder as it should be. there’s loads of the homing fireball KKK and the big fat guys in welding masks, plenty of hordes of soldiers, some seriously challenging enemies like the mamas, and relatively few that are trash like the chainsaw hicks. The final boss fight is also pretty tough though I had a lot of fun with it.

I think I’m gonna go play more Dusk now too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you like a more authentic kind of Doom, Chocolate Doom 3.0 is out.

Arcane Dimensions has been updated to 1.7, with lots of bug fixes, various new mapper toys, and two new maps to seek out.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I also gotta say Andrew Hulshult really hit it out of the park with regards to the music, especially when you compare it with his previous work in the ROTT remake (which was fine, if buttrock-ish and not all that memorable).

Also, what's the deal with the soap hidden around in various maps?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The soap can be thrown at enemies and will I believe one-shot nearly anything.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ChickenHeart posted:

I also gotta say Andrew Hulshult really hit it out of the park with regards to the music, especially when you compare it with his previous work in the ROTT remake (which was fine, if buttrock-ish and not all that memorable).

Never played the ROTT remake but yeah, the music in Dusk is great. Defintely fits the whole "mood" of the game. Actually, the sound itself is just great in general.

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

Maybe I'm just really dumb but I can't get the 'Climb the Walls' powerup in Dusk Episode 2 to work. I pick it up, run to a wall, and hold shift (the jump key) like it says but nothing happens. I watched a YouTube video and it looks pretty basic so I'm wondering if it's a bug that I'm encountering. Anyone else had a problem with it?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Boy Wunder posted:

Maybe I'm just really dumb but I can't get the 'Climb the Walls' powerup in Dusk Episode 2 to work. I pick it up, run to a wall, and hold shift (the jump key) like it says but nothing happens. I watched a YouTube video and it looks pretty basic so I'm wondering if it's a bug that I'm encountering. Anyone else had a problem with it?

It's a little touchy. The best way I've gotten it to work is to run and jump on the wall while holding shift. That seems to make you "stick" better as opposed to just running upto the wall and holding shift.

I think if you just run upto a wall and hold shift it tends to "stick" you to the ground instead of the wall, so running and jumping into the wall gets rid of that problem.

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's a little touchy. The best way I've gotten it to work is to run and jump on the wall while holding shift. That seems to make you "stick" better as opposed to just running upto the wall and holding shift.

I think if you just run upto a wall and hold shift it tends to "stick" you to the ground instead of the wall, so running and jumping into the wall gets rid of that problem.

Thanks, I just got it. I have to be walking to stick for some reason, which I'm pretty sure isn't right but I was able to get out at least.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

The walk key is what you have to hold to climb, not the jump key

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

Hah. I always rebind shift to jump and that's what the tip was telling me (it even says 'Hold Shift (Jump) to climb'). Mystery solved.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Copper Vein posted:

I also played SiN on one of these bootsy-rear end "VR" machines in an arcade in the early 2000's. It sucked.

Same. It was not good at all

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
What's the best way to play SiN nowadays, anyway? Steam or GOG?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Don't know for sure but I've yet to hear about GOG doing a worse job than Steam on an old release.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

The Kins posted:

GOG, definitely. It's uncensored, and it comes with the Wages of Sin expansion.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For probably the millionth time (though to be fair, I don't know if it was this thread or another), for the vast majority of cases, the engine doesn't determine quality. Everyones gets hung up on Unity seeming lovely, but what it is is that game engine just has a much lower barrier of entry for devs than others.

That's it.

It doesn't help that you only really ever see the Unity logo on startup if it's something made with the most basic free version of Unity.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Is there no way to reverse which direction the mousewheel rotates through the weapon selection in DUSK? This is literally backwards from what I'm used to (that is, I'm used to scrolling up going to stronger weapons and scrolling down going to weaker ones, unless some visual aid helps me mentally get around that like Half-Life's weapon menu, but DUSK scrolls up to weaker weapons and down to stronger ones without any such visual aid). I checked the keybindings, but I don't see any such option.

EDIT: There's an option for it under Game->Input. Not sure why it's there instead of nearby Bindings, but whatever, they have me covered, so we're good.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 31, 2017

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Dusk has some QoL issues that don't ruin it for me but were still frustrating. I tried to do my first playthrough of episode 2 on Intruder mode and quickly got frustrated that there doesn't appear to be any way to save at all. Like, I get not saving in the middle of a level but autosaves at the beginning of a map would be nice so I could quit and come back. Also the fact that the level select
1: only includes levels you've completed, not visited so I couldn't use that as my continue method in Intruder and
2: Ends your game immediately with no warning so when I went to check to see if the latest level was unlocked so I could safely quit without losing progress, it's just gone.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I can't get past Dusks weapon view models. They're SO BAD.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Glagha posted:

Dusk has some QoL issues that don't ruin it for me but were still frustrating. I tried to do my first playthrough of episode 2 on Intruder mode and quickly got frustrated that there doesn't appear to be any way to save at all. Like, I get not saving in the middle of a level but autosaves at the beginning of a map would be nice so I could quit and come back. Also the fact that the level select
1: only includes levels you've completed, not visited so I couldn't use that as my continue method in Intruder and
2: Ends your game immediately with no warning so when I went to check to see if the latest level was unlocked so I could safely quit without losing progress, it's just gone.

Quick save is F6, unless that difficulty disables it? I dunno

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

c0burn posted:

I can't get past Dusks weapon view models. They're SO BAD.
They really nailed the look of an amateurish Quake TC mixed with early LithTech, but... I don’t understand why you would want to recreate that look.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HolyKrap posted:

Quick save is F6, unless that difficulty disables it? I dunno

Can’t save in Intruder, the whole point of the mode is Ironman with no weapon carryover.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

skasion posted:

Can’t save in Intruder, the whole point of the mode is Ironman with no weapon carryover.

Looking forward to seeing this category in future GDQs :getin:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You can bet on it. First WR coming from DraQu of course.

Edit: followed by Cubeface finding every glitch for a faster speedrun.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Looking forward to seeing this category in future GDQs :getin:

It’s pretty harsh but definitely seems doable as long as you’re not on Duskmare as well.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pope Guilty posted:

The soap can be thrown at enemies and will I believe one-shot nearly anything.
Thanks for telling me this so I could one-shot every single boss in Episode 1.

It's super-clunky to have to pick the soap up every time you throw it, the game likes to drop it every time a wall even slightly gets between you and the soap when you're hauling it around, and sometimes a throw doesn't seem to do anything to an enemy (generally if they're too close at the time), but it's so silly to abuse this thing that I couldn't care less about the drawbacks.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shadow Hog posted:

Thanks for telling me this so I could one-shot every single boss in Episode 1.

It's super-clunky to have to pick the soap up every time you throw it, the game likes to drop it every time a wall even slightly gets between you and the soap when you're hauling it around, and sometimes a throw doesn't seem to do anything to an enemy (generally if they're too close at the time), but it's so silly to abuse this thing that I couldn't care less about the drawbacks.

I'm guessing it's fiddly to handle otherwise it why would you use anything else? Also, wet soap is slippery :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I have just discovered the existence of this adorable thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnwQLJB-1_A

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cat Mattress posted:

I have just discovered the existence of this adorable thing:

The bloop sounds are delightful too

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Putting it on the 2018 modlist. It's adorable.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

That's basically how most of indie devs think how games looked in the early 90s.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Negrostrike posted:

That's basically how most of indie devs think how games looked in the early 90s.
Via Term:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yep, I wasn't remembering where I saw this. Thanks.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

Via Term:

Karl Urban and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson are covered in sweat and ballistic vests and weaponry. The damned demon hordes are relentless suckers pouring through foul magick portals. They are the result of technological hubris but they are also the result of something more ancient.

"Damned demon shits--I'm gonna kill a thousand of them," Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson warns, "and then I'm gonna kill a thousand more."

Karl Urban says to Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson to wait. "Wait."

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson cocks a lone eyebrow.

"Don't forget your Big Friggin' Gun (BFG)." He hands a BFG to Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson like a squire bestowing a sword upon a knight.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson cocks the BFG. "Time to murder these alien bitches til I'm all out of time. And I've got all the time in the world."

"Wait," Karl Urban says. He leans in and kisses Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson on his chapped lips. The lips are flecked with bits of blood and alien-scum. "Don't forget your good luck kiss."

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

The Kins posted:

If you like a more authentic kind of Doom, Chocolate Doom 3.0 is out.

Arcane Dimensions has been updated to 1.7, with lots of bug fixes, various new mapper toys, and two new maps to seek out.

Definitely getting this for my Raspberry Pi Dooming.

The Kins posted:

Definitely GOG. You'll get an uncensored version of the same game plus the expansion.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Holy poo poo. As soon as I've got WiFi again I'm absolutely downloading this.

I need me some cutesy Doom in my life.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Definitely GOG. You'll get an uncensored version of the same game plus the expansion.

Also I don't think you can even buy the Steam version any more.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Anyone who liked HL1 and doesn't already have Black Mesa should really grab it in the sale. It's down to $5.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Convex posted:

Also I don't think you can even buy the Steam version any more.

You can through SiN episode, though it's the only way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Did the GOG version start shipping with the patch to support widescreen? Because whichever version you use, you'll probably want that.

Too bad that it also means the computer screens kinda get cut off at top and bottom while you interact with them though.