Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, see, for us it was 1 degree before the "feels like."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Booyah- posted:

The only thing I don't like about airbrush priming is that the undercoat seems very fragile compared to spray cans. I've had primer scratch off on the edges of a model with only minor handling.

What primer are you using? Sounds like its not bonding properly.

I've had this happen with Vallejo primer, the badger stuff is way more durable and I paint quite a few metal models.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Anything else I should add to this guy before I varnish him? That is if you can make anything out through the poo poo lighting. I just snapped the picture quick to show a friend and didn't bother to get out my other lamp and backdrop.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

bonds0097 posted:

I've had this happen with Vallejo primer, the badger stuff is way more durable and I paint quite a few metal models.

I'm using Badger as well, and shaking the hell out of it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is there some sort of goopy gel that can go over painted snot to look like real snot outside of a gloss coat/varnish/floor wax? I think I've seen some bases use that or people even use it for transparent fire effects and such.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Philthy posted:

Is there some sort of goopy gel that can go over painted snot to look like real snot outside of a gloss coat/varnish/floor wax? I think I've seen some bases use that or people even use it for transparent fire effects and such.

You can also go with water effects if you have those at hand. If you have anything like an ink, you can mix that directly into the varnish or whatever to make it look really convincing. I mixed some biel-tan green into some varnish to get a good snot look on this guy.

If you can get your hands on Uhu glue, you can get some really fun effects, but the exact type of glue isn't sold in the US. If you live elsewhere, it might be easier to get.

Also, finished up The Goon and I'll have him for my friend tomorrow:

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

bonds0097 posted:

I've had the same experience with Vallejo primer. Someone here told me that they need up to a month to fully cure.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Booyah- posted:

I'm using Badger as well, and shaking the hell out of it.

Are you thinning it? If so, try not doing that. If you aren't, then I have no clue.

I typically let primed models cure overnight but thats about it. And often much less than that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If badger and Vallejo primers are acrylic they're just not going to have the same bite as lacquer-based primer, by virtue of not dissolving into the model.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Why are you handling the model before it's sealed?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Floppychop posted:

Anything else I should add to this guy before I varnish him? That is if you can make anything out through the poo poo lighting. I just snapped the picture quick to show a friend and didn't bother to get out my other lamp and backdrop.

I like my Templars with a lot of purity/crusader seals on them, but that paintjob is fukken sweet.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Spoilering for semi-offtopicness
...I'm at a loss for words. I've seen some poo poo, but I could only begin to imagine how you've managed to deal with something that horrific. I mean, I'm almost crying at my keyboard at work reading this. I can't even begin to fathom what you've been through. I know it may not mean much, but I sincerely hope you and your family can eventually find peace over this.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

bonds0097 posted:

Finished my second 165 point Batman crew, the dynamic duo in bright colors!

Quoting to say that you convinced me to pick up a mini the last time I went supplies hunting, so cheers to that!

It was Rorsarch because I felt he could pretty easily be painted up as The Question, except I found out he can only be fielded with other Watchmen so welp. Could be fun figuring out conversions for the other watchmen though!

Quick question: are the batman, DC, and Marvel games balanced together/have uniform rules?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I'm a bit behind the times but my wife managed to cram a hobby desk for me into our apartment that's mostly dedicated to kid stuff. I'm very happy with it and it's been helping me a lot with staying motivated to paint consistently.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
Here's the source of my custom title, I'm painting up these guys for my copy of Lost Patrol, I could use some basing suggestions, should I get the barbed bracken kit from GW to make it look jungle-y?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
thanks, my dude. It's the worst situation imaginable, and I learned how truly awful and self-serving humans can be afterwards, but my family has managed to stay semi-intact despite it all. I will stop posting about it in this thread now, but thanks for your kind words.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Captain Invictus posted:

thanks, my dude. It's the worst situation imaginable, and I learned how truly awful and self-serving humans can be afterwards, but my family has managed to stay semi-intact despite it all. I will stop posting about it in this thread now, but thanks for your kind words.

I'm not even a regular poster in this thread but I read your story and it's absolutely heartbreaking. So sorry to hear it :(

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm having a hell of a time getting the balance correct so my lava bases aren't completely washed out, but I finished my first unit (and test) for my Blades of Khorne Army.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Nice, I love that look, the bases really fit the theme.

e: The sword effect is really nice too.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Signal posted:

Why are you handling the model before it's sealed?

Just minor movement off the paint holder, putting together sub assemblies, etc.

I may try scrubbing the next model before I prime it since I've heard finger oils can prevent good adhesion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm having a hell of a time getting the balance correct so my lava bases aren't completely washed out, but I finished my first unit (and test) for my Blades of Khorne Army.

I am unfamiliar with more recent GW minis, are the gaps in the Bloodletter heads supposed to be there, or is it an unfortunate issue with the mold that would require some not-insignificant modification to fix?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'm trying to strip primer off of some old metal minis. Acetone didn't work. Does anyone have any recommendations for other things to try?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Xylene.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Invictus posted:

I am unfamiliar with more recent GW minis, are the gaps in the Bloodletter heads supposed to be there, or is it an unfortunate issue with the mold that would require some not-insignificant modification to fix?

They used it as the example of what you'd want Liquid Green Stuff for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbnPoq4kVdA

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

It’s the mold. I couldn’t get the drat things to line up.

Also, flash. Flash everywhere on these ones.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, that loving sucks. For the prices GW charges, I'd expect basically perfection in the mold/construction process. Condolences on that, since they look great with your paintjob otherwise.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Neurolimal posted:

Quoting to say that you convinced me to pick up a mini the last time I went supplies hunting, so cheers to that!

It was Rorsarch because I felt he could pretty easily be painted up as The Question, except I found out he can only be fielded with other Watchmen so welp. Could be fun figuring out conversions for the other watchmen though!

Quick question: are the batman, DC, and Marvel games balanced together/have uniform rules?

Nice! I'm singlehandedly creating a local Batman scene and its been great fun to demo and play.

The Marvel license was not renewed so that game is dead. All three games have separate rulesets but models branded as Multiverse can be fielded in both DC and BMG.

Batman is street level skirmish with a lot of crunch along the lines of infinity. Great depth and lots to learn as you play.

DC is a beer and dice game with a way higher power level and simpler rules but also models fun things like throwing scenery at enemies and destroying buildings.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

bonds0097 posted:

Nice! I'm singlehandedly creating a local Batman scene and its been great fun to demo and play.

The Marvel license was not renewed so that game is dead. All three games have separate rulesets but models branded as Multiverse can be fielded in both DC and BMG.

Batman is street level skirmish with a lot of crunch along the lines of infinity. Great depth and lots to learn as you play.

DC is a beer and dice game with a way higher power level and simpler rules but also models fun things like throwing scenery at enemies and destroying buildings.

DC seems like it's the proper miniature game version of something like heroclix

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finished this dude up today.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 31, 2017

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Philthy posted:

Finished this dude up today.

That is really great work. :)

So the other day, I painted up my first space man in almost a decade.

(apologies for the slightly "dusty" look to the minis, I dunno why they appear to have dust specks on them but I promise they don't look like that in real life)

The newest Crimson Fist is the guy in the middle, painted him up in about one evening a couple of days ago. I dug out my old WH40k stuff from storage, and while sorting through the bitz, discovered I still had some Assault on Black Reach Space Marines I'd bought almost 10 years ago but had never got around to doing anything with. Of note: I painted the middle figure entirely with craft paints, including even the washes/glazes I used on the figure. This was mainly due to budgetary concerns, as I recently moved (though I did splurge and get both a bottle of Pledge Floor Care and a bottle of Liquitex Matte Medium, which definitely helped; thank you, chain craft stores and your 40-50% off coupons :v:).

On the right is a Space Marine from the army I painted up originally almost 10 years ago, for comparison. To the left is a SM commander (from the AoBR set), also painted up nearly 10 years ago, that I "expanded" the base of from 25mm to 32mm, using a pair of base expansion rings from Secret Weapon Miniatures.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Hm. Did you seal them outside, and what was the weather like? Sometimes it being too humid or too cold can affect how the clear coat looks and make it appear 'dusty'.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

bonds0097 posted:

I'm gonna jump in there. ;)

The Marvel and DC Universe games actually use the same rule set and you can play one against the other. Marvel minis are deemed to be a bit underpowered compared to the DC stuff (which released later) but they are compatible.

Likewise the Batman and also aborted Spiderman games used the same rules and as you said are more focused towards henchmen crews led by a few big name characters.

Multiverse sets do indeed come with character cards for both games, although not necessarily every model in the crew boxes has cards for both.

Also, if you are picking up some stuff like the Amazons crew you may find that they are restricted for tournament play. BMG has a legends rule for high level characters like Wonder Woman or Queen Hippothingy that allow them to be used in friendly games but not break tournaments by being OP. The Amazon warriors don't have that rule but both of the crew boss options they currently have do, so an Amazon crew is unplayable competitively for now. You could use them in a Gotham Sirens crew though with Poison Icy thanks to her abilities.

Basically, BMG crew building doesn't work like most other games do it pays to ask questions while learning!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Ugleb posted:

The Marvel and DC Universe games actually use the same rule set and you can play one against the other. Marvel minis are deemed to be a bit underpowered compared to the DC stuff (which released later) but they are compatible.

Ah, my bad. The Marvel game died before I got into Batman so I've never actually seen the rules. It's a bummer because a lot of the models look cool.

Crew building in Batman is pretty interesting because almost all of the crews have options in terms of more bodies vs. more elites (i.e. named characters) or range vs. melee. Gives you a lot of cool flexibility and changing 1 or 2 key models can really change the way a crew plays.

The game is really catching on locally, 6 people or so have already bought in and I'm hoping we can get enough for an actual Batmatch in Q1.

Most importantly, for this thread, the models are frickin' awesome.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
How much leeway is there for mix/matching? Like can you pair owl henchmen with X batperson or mr. Freeze, or are they limited to their bosses ala an elemental deck in a TCG?

I'm always a sucker for special snowflake builds and customs, even if they dont always go well :v:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Neurolimal posted:

How much leeway is there for mix/matching? Like can you pair owl henchmen with X batperson or mr. Freeze, or are they limited to their bosses ala an elemental deck in a TCG?

I'm always a sucker for special snowflake builds and customs, even if they dont always go well :v:

Short answer: no.

Long Answer: Every crew needs a boss and every model has an Affiliation. All models in the crew must have the same affiliation as the boss, with some exceptions. This means you won't be running clowns with Mr. Freeze or Batman. Some models have 'Unknown' Affiliation and can be run with anyone except for crew they Hate or are Rivals with. For example, prisoners can be run with just about any villains. Aside from Henchman, Leaders and Sidekicks, there are Free Agents that are typically powerful characters and can be hired by most, if not all, crews. For example Ravager (Deathstroke's daughter) can work with just about anyone including Villains and Batman. Lastly, some crews are fairly open ended, like Organized Crime. The same pool of henchman and sidekicks will work for Black Mask, the Falcones, Two Face and the Marconis. Which gives you a lot of options to make very different crews. In general, most crews have 2-3 Characters that can lead them, i.e. Joker's Crew can be led by Joker, Harley, Duela Dent or Mr. Hammer and most of the big characters (like Joker or Harley) have multiple variants with different rulesets.

My apologies if this is derailing the painting thread. At some point maybe I'll make a Batman Miniature thread if there's enough interest.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That is really great work. :)

So the other day, I painted up my first space man in almost a decade

Look great, how'd you do the bases?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

GoingPostal posted:

Hm. Did you seal them outside, and what was the weather like? Sometimes it being too humid or too cold can affect how the clear coat looks and make it appear 'dusty'.

The two on the left and right I may have sprayed with some Testors outdoors (it was about 10 years ago so I don't really remember), but the one in the middle (the newest one) I definitely didn't. I brushed on varnish (one coat gloss, two coats matte) on the one in the middle. I'm thinking it might also just have been some dust/debris from my paint area, too. Here's another pic I took of 'em a little while ago, where they don't look quite as dusty.

Also, just thought I'd share this guy, as he's my favorite miniature out of my Crimson Fists army by far. Was a lot of fun to paint him up back in the day. :)

always be closing posted:

Look great, how'd you do the bases?

Thanks! Basically just the tried-and-true method of putting some glue down on a base (Mod Podge matte in this case), then sprinkling some sand on top, gluing a couple of bits of (clean!) kitty litter down for large rocks, and then painting and drybrushing successively lighter shades (gray in this case, to represent an ashen wasteland/lunar surface kind of area).

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Neurolimal posted:

DCU basically splits everything into hero, villain or neutral then you just pick what ever you want up to the points (power) level of the game from your good/evil alignment plus any neutrals.

BMG is much more rigid with affiliations and ranks needing to be considered. Its an interesting system but can take some explaining until it clicks.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Oath Thread crosspostin' time....

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Happy New Year, Oath Thread! Also, Oath Complete!

I'm going with the snowy base for the Jurnal this month. (Also, I have got to find a better way to photograph the gems; they're so much more brilliant irl and something about my light kit is washing them completely out, especially the red ones.)

Also, Happy New Year, paintgoons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Oath Thread crosspostin' time....

Also, Happy New Year, paintgoons!

:toot: That is real nice work!

I've been painting for about a year now, and it's been cool seeing my skills improve. Thanks for all the tips, support, and pro-strats goons!

Happy New Year!