Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ja2ke posted:

I wonder why the MST3K version has that horrible cut in it. How did someone go back to the original source footage and make that terrible edit before re-transferring it to video again. Maybe the MST edit is an earlier cut somehow?

It's probably a TV cut; the show used those a lot since it saved them a lot of effort when it came to cutting, cropping, and censoring. It also gave them extra material to work with as people randomly appeared in a cut-down scene or "mysteriously" stopped talking when they would have said a swear word. What I'm guessing happened is the TV editor got a raw cut to work with and failed to edit out the start of that shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I hadn't watched Danger: Death Ray before and I am loving delighted right now.

"Can you turn the radio down? I'm just really sick of this song."

It really is one of my favorites.

This movie should have been called Danger! Wall-mounted machine guns!

Plus Cambot gets a rare featured role in a host segment.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Narsham posted:

It really is one of my favorites.

This movie should have been called Danger! Wall-mounted machine guns!

Danger! Small talk!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Also, to your other point, "Welcome to Jack Ruby fantasy camp" might be my very favorite riff.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Danger! Dodge Dart!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Now that guy's just showboating his butt! :mad:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
More gray asses!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ms Boods posted:

Non-MST3K version, with what the scene really looks like when properly edited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcFEhUKhN6g (go to the last minute, unless you want to look at the whole thing -- and why not. bup bup bup bah dah dah).

Did they get a pre-cut version, or did they edit it weirdly themselves somehow?

E: nvm, missed the next page. A great MST movie, they clearly used the cheapest props money didn't need to buy.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Kicking back before family dinner for Santa Claus Conquers the Martains.
https://youtu.be/2ZyJCV_dyug

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I completely forgot about the MST3K channel on Pluto TV until someone mentioned it a couple of pages back. Aside from the repetitive commercials where someone really wants to sell me a Dodge Ram for only $189.95/mo, this is pretty great. The #1 feel-good movie of 1956 (The Violent Years, written by master screenwriter Edward D. Wood Jr.) just ended, and now they're showing Girl in Gold Boots.

Thankfully it's not Girl in Lovers' Lane (I always get those two mixed up), sitting through that one right after The Violent Years might've been a bit too much of a downer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah getting a Roku for Christmas, while fundamentally unnecessary because we own a laptop, has been great for putting it in the bedroom and not having to move the computer around whenever I just want to throw on Pluto and watch the Rifftrax/MST3K channels for hours at a time. Plus when an episode is "airing" "live" it makes me pay more attention, strangely. I guess because I know I can't pause or rewind.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite part of The Violent Years is the sudden introduction of COMMUNISTS to the plot. Like it wasn't enough that the girls were just juvenile delinquents, they also had to fall into the sway of commies.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The Violent Years is good fun, but The Sinister Urge is probably my favorite Ed Wood movie that they did on MST3k. So many great riffs in that one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I hope that everyone here in this thread had a very Patrick Swayze Christmas, and that Santa Claus was able to defeat the Martians.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Nooo Lupita!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Bicyclops posted:

I hope that everyone here in this thread had a very Patrick Swayze Christmas, and that Santa Claus was able to defeat the Martians.

Road House was on TV the 23rd and I pointed out that yes, it was in fact a Patrick Swayze Christmas.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

He did not defeat the Martians, but was at least able to keep the lights on at home thanks to a wimpy lawyer with an ABDL fetish.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

brocked posted:

Nooo Lupita!

oh man the nightmarish laughing from the reindeer

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

muscles like this! posted:

My favorite part of The Violent Years is the sudden introduction of COMMUNISTS to the plot. Like it wasn't enough that the girls were just juvenile delinquents, they also had to fall into the sway of commies.

Even more, their delinquency was (somehow) a communist plot!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Re: Danger!! Bad Editing

They often prepared the English language prints of Italian films before the domestic (Italian) version was locked in. The mistake was probably in the negative until the last minute, but they had already made a duplicate for the American/British market. That's why it's not in the other versions.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I just watched Pod People in its entirety for the first time in god knows how many years. Honestly, aside from the legendary "Idiot Control Now" and "Trumpy, you can do stupid things" bits, that movie is a hideously boring slog to sit through. The riffing is solid and the host segments are great, but the film is such a tedious mess I kinda stop paying attention after a while.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, Manos is the same way. That's why, as much as I love those episodes, I never use them as an introduction to the series.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Doc Morbid posted:

I just watched Pod People in its entirety for the first time in god knows how many years. Honestly, aside from the legendary "Idiot Control Now" and "Trumpy, you can do stupid things" bits, that movie is a hideously boring slog to sit through. The riffing is solid and the host segments are great, but the film is such a tedious mess I kinda stop paying attention after a while.

It's particularly bad in the third act (if the film even has enough structure to classify it as such) when any remaining semblance of a plot just completely vanishes.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

yeah there's a lot of kenny loggins running through a foggy forest.

IT STINKS

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Barry Bluejeans posted:

It's particularly bad in the third act (if the film even has enough structure to classify it as such) when any remaining semblance of a plot just completely vanishes.

The thing with Pod People was that it was originally made to be a "people getting murdered in the woods by an alien" movie, then while it was being made E.T. was released. Seeing how much cash that brought in, the makers of this movie insisted on adding the "kid befriends alien" subplot in order to get some of that action.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Speaking of films prominently featuring people running around outdoors -- the numerous scenes of Ro-Man wandering up and down hills in Robot Monster are already funny as hell on their own because it's a guy in a gorilla suit and a diving helmet walking around in a long shot, but then you add Servo singing in this dopey voice during those scenes and I just lose it every single time. Robot Monster's easily my favorite episode from season 1.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Something I'm too lazy to look up myself, but what would be the oldest movie they've ever riffed, and what would be the newest?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Newest would still be Future War (1997), right?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Something I'm too lazy to look up myself, but what would be the oldest movie they've ever riffed, and what would be the newest?

I'm not going to look it up either, but "newest" would be more interesting as a "released closest to MSTing" and not "closest to our current date".

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Q: What's the oldest movie the Brains have riffed? The most recent?
A: In 1942, both 103-THE MAD MONSTERand 105-THE CORPSE VANISHES were released. Technically, the oldest is the 1936 serial 406S-UNDERSEA KINGDOM. The most recent were filmed in 1995: 904-WEREWOLF and 1003-MERLIN'S SHOP OF MYSTICAL WONDERS.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It looks like Catching Trouble (the short) is the earliest thing they've riffed (from 1936). In terms of full films, The Mad Monster and The Corpse Vanishes are both from 1941. Not sure how accurate that is - I just ctrl-f'd for 193- and then for 1940 and 1941 on the Wikipedia list of episodes page.

I'd bet 1997 is the latest, but it's too tough to use ctrl-F for that one.

e: whoops, beaten by the Best Brains FAQ. :argh:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

rydiafan posted:

I'm not going to look it up either, but "newest" would be more interesting as a "released closest to MSTing" and not "closest to our current date".

I think Future War is the answer for both, but for the former it only beats Werewolf by a couple days. I haven’t done an extensive look through every episode’s dates though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I’m actually gonna disagree with my own last post. It looks like The Dead Talk Back might be the one that was riffed closest to its initial release, because it sat unreleased for decades before finally being put out on home video in 1993, only about a year before being shown on MST3K.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fezz posted:

Q: What's the oldest movie the Brains have riffed? The most recent?
A: In 1942, both 103-THE MAD MONSTERand 105-THE CORPSE VANISHES were released. Technically, the oldest is the 1936 serial 406S-UNDERSEA KINGDOM. The most recent were filmed in 1995: 904-WEREWOLF and 1003-MERLIN'S SHOP OF MYSTICAL WONDERS.

Merlin is kind of an odd duck though as the monkey section was filmed in the early 80s.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Been watching some old MST3k episodes, and I remembered a question I've been wondering. Did Bert I. Gordon specialize in movies with size-changing special effects because of his initials, or is that just a happy coincidence?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Good to know, was wondering how close to the present day could MST3K take a movie to riff for season 12, admittedly part of the franchise's charm is that the majority of it's films have some age to them, but it's interesting to know that the revival could go fairly close to today in it's film selection and not be breaking it's own rules

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

drrockso20 posted:

Good to know, was wondering how close to the present day could MST3K take a movie to riff for season 12, admittedly part of the franchise's charm is that the majority of it's films have some age to them, but it's interesting to know that the revival could go fairly close to today in it's film selection and not be breaking it's own rules

Bad cinema is timeless. I just think the more recent a film is, the more difficult it would be to get the rights.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

drrockso20 posted:

future war, as mentioned, and it was recent enough that during the trainwreck production the crew joked about how the film was so bad it should appear on mst3k

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Bad cinema is timeless. I just think the more recent a film is, the more difficult it would be to get the rights.

If they get a couple of seasons, it helps that they're on Netflix. If the Netflix producers decide to pull the plug on, say, Bright, because of toxic reviews, and try to redeem the whole thing by poking fun of themselves, it probably doesn't take a ton of signatures to toss the Landis kid to the wolves.

They won't, I don't think, and it's also not as funny, anyways. It seems more "laughing with" than "laughing at" to make fun of things that have some distance from today. There are already a ton of shows in which commentary on today's media is baked into the premise, with argument after argument about how successful it is.
MST3K would be a different kind of show if it went that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, I'm still amazed when Rifftrax manage to do a movie I've actually heard of, and not just as a 'Just The Jokes', but as an actual full video stream/download. Like Super Mario Bros. or the most recent one, the Shannon Elizabeth Jack Frost slasher movie.