Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm trying to bag on you specifically,

I assume your verb is missing a "not" there.

And yeah, I agree. My statement was not, in any way, meant as a defense of GR on any kind of ethical or moral ground - I've already written them off as a company. I'm just saying if they kept talking, they probably would have continued making things worse for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
What's really hosed up for me is realizing that anyone who still continues to like Blue Rose also unequivocally supports CA Suleiman and or sexual assault, forever. :smith:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm so glad I'm able to hate Beast and a harasser at the same time.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

I'm so glad I'm able to hate Beast and a harasser at the same time.

I'm angry that I can't ironically defend Beast without ironically defending a child molester, but I choose to blame Matt for this and not you, as your hatred of both things is simultaneously pure and wise.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Bedlamdan posted:

What's really hosed up for me is realizing that anyone who still continues to like Blue Rose also unequivocally supports CA Suleiman and or sexual assault, forever. :smith:

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism. Everyone's personal line is different. I think so long as you're upfront about the CA Suleiman thing without excuses and you don't defend him out of loyalty to his product, you're largely fine. Liking a product a shithead made doesn't inherently make you a shithead.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Suleiman's not even credited in Blue Rose, it's just that people who defended him angrily because they don't want to believe he's a serial harasser are.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I would hate for Suleiman to become primarily associated with Blue Rose when he's way more responsible for Mummy being bad.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I know Suleiman isn't associated with Blue Rose directly, but Green Ronin is certainly tied to both and has handled things terribly on its own.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean I own the Criterion of Rosemary's Baby. I am in no position to judge.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Woody Allen Movies Produced By Harvey Weinstein criterion collection.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bedlamdan posted:

I'm angry that I can't ironically defend Beast without ironically defending a child molester, but I choose to blame Matt for this and not you, as your hatred of both things is simultaneously pure and wise.

To be fair I was slightly conflicted during my Beast review because I know Matt's produced actual good work in the past, and obviously no one could be so willfully comically evil to produce "Abuse: the Rapening" as an RPG with open eyes.

Hah.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

The Woody Allen Movies Produced By Harvey Weinstein criterion collection.

Alternatively, owning The Usual Suspects.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bedlamdan posted:

If it helps, Blue Rose was never a perfect thing by any stretch. They saw no problems with the "magical gypsy race" they unironically dubbed "the roamers" and were more than happy to include them again in 2e.

There's some other questionable stuff dealing with the African/Polynesian-flavored matriarchy of Lar’tya that comes up in 1e's worldbook, and is lazily copied word-for-word into the 2e core book, too. Apparently those islands were historically populated by "peaceful but primitive natives" that "lacked both cities and writing" and only discovered important things like literacy and metalworking when predominately-white refugees arrived from the mainland that would become Aldis. As the book(s) put it: "Their presence gradually transformed the islands, and Lar’tya became a civilized nation".

This is maybe a bit due to romantic fantasy generally not being super great about racial diversity, traditionally, even if the subgenre is much friendlier to gender and sexual minorities. But hey, even Mercedes Lackey herself had famously bad things to say when someone asked her if she'd ever write a book with a trans main character. More modern books, especially for middle school/teen age brackets are better about this now, though. Blue Rose did make steps to try being tasteful about stuff like this, even if they weren't always executed in good taste, which was more than enough to make the regressive wing of online TG discussion furiously poo poo itself and flip out about in hilarious ways about deer fascism, and that at least to me made up for it before. But this thing with CA Suleiman has been abominable and I don't plan on supporting them in the future.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 17, 2017

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
"The social-justice warriors are coming for your board games," says the National Review. Lol.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Martials ruin everything.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Did not find any rants about the positive aspects of "cards against humanity" :confused:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wasn't the latest CAH controversy being israeli right wingers attacking their Jewish joke expac and MAGA guys accusing them of antisemitism in bad faith because of the CAH funded anti trump ads

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
First they came for Puerto Rico, and I did not speak up because I did not own Puerto Rico but I quietly removed Darkies in the Melon Patch from my trade list wanted section.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

this is one of the worst articles i've ever read

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Because, as reactionaries have taught us for years, we all know soon as somebody poo-poos a board game on the internet, all copies of it immediately and spontaneously combust. We have to stop people from having opinio- wait, poo poo, somebody brought up colonialism in board games. Too late.

Well, there goes my copy of Awful Green Things from Outer Space in a literal puff of smoke. drat you, internet!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

S.J. posted:

this is one of the worst articles i've ever read

You would say that, S J.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

You would say that, S J.

You don't know me!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Social Justice NPC Warriors from the DMG lack even the bonus feats of a Fighter, but the Social Justice Warrior from Unearthed Arcana is arguably even better than the PHB class because they can at least shift their one Good save to Will.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

gradenko_2000 posted:

Social Justice NPC Warriors from the DMG lack even the bonus feats of a Fighter, but the Social Justice Warrior from Unearthed Arcana is arguably even better than the PHB class because they can at least shift their one Good save to Will.

Plus, they can prestige into Woke Weaponmaster, which at least gives them some bonuses to attack.

Seriously, what the hell is that article even trying to do? My best guess has been some red-meat riling up with 'those darn kids and their board games' :argh:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
"I heard about a thing that people said that implies that white people are not always perfectly nice to not-white people. I need to write an article implying that it's part of a grand movement to destroy everything good in the world."

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

It's the National Review, aren't they literally the midway point between Fox News and The Federalist in terms of crazy right-wing bullshit?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
It is okay to criticize the trends you dislike in boardgames, and to criticize the trends you dislike in the criticism of boardgames.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it's not actually.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Countblanc posted:

it's not actually.

It's not okay to criticize my posts D:<

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I like that for his opening premise, he hides his examples deeper in the article, and it's like one actual article by an actual media person, and then "…a forum post by BGG user Jpwoo…" and like, gently caress, man, he sure uncovered that wide-ranging SJ conspiracy. And even when he starts reaching for more general sources because his gruel is so thin, it's all pretty uniformly coulds and possiblys, and not actual frothing lesbian hucksters come to emasculate us all.

I'm also all about "sure Monopoly was originally political…something about the Depression I guess? MOVING ON!"

And then the whole thing was just the usual "all this SJW crap is insidiously corrupting our minds!" + "what's the big deal, it's not like all these subtle details that permeate our lives shape how we think and act!?"

A+ article

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The article isn't about attacking trends in board game criticism, it's about attacking what they believe to be left wing [anything and everything], like every other article they publish

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

I'm also all about "sure Monopoly was originally political…something about the Depression I guess? MOVING ON!"

The original Monopoly was an educational game designed to show that a monopoly was almost guaranteed to form in the absence of regulations, so it was much more political than most board games.

The thing that stood out to me was putting quotes around "racist" and "bigot" and expecting people to know exactly what he's talking about.

E: I just realised that the original form of Monopoly (The Landlord's Game) was made in 1903, so had nothing to do with the Depression at all. Barely conceivable!

Zandar fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 31, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zandar posted:

The original Monopoly was an educational game designed to show that a monopoly was almost guaranteed to form in the absence of regulations, so it was much more political than most board games.

The house rules that people always put jnto Monopoly that make it drag on forever are an allegory for marginal welfare programs placating people living jn otherwise exploitative conditions to the point where the revolution is interminably put-off

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So at the end of Monopoly, placing the winning token in a miniature guillotine is intuitive enough for the dog token or boot, but I really am not sure how to position the iron or battleship

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

canyoneer posted:

So at the end of Monopoly, placing the winning token in a miniature guillotine is intuitive enough for the dog token or boot, but I really am not sure how to position the iron or battleship

Handlewise and directly down the middle, respectively. The middle of which axis is up to you.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

This is the first time I had the thought, "I hope that was written for exposure."

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Draxion posted:

Handlewise and directly down the middle, respectively. The middle of which axis is up to you.

The thimble, being a symbol of manual labor, is freed with a stern warning.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

The house rules that people always put jnto Monopoly that make it drag on forever are an allegory for marginal welfare programs placating people living jn otherwise exploitative conditions to the point where the revolution is interminably put-off

I want you to know that out of all your generally good posting in tradgames, this is the best one.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

Well. I mean I guess I didn't need another reason to want to avoid the new old world of darkness but there we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Plutonis posted:

Wasn't the latest CAH controversy being israeli right wingers attacking their Jewish joke expac and MAGA guys accusing them of antisemitism in bad faith because of the CAH funded anti trump ads

CAH did their black Friday thing but this year it was donating to them to save America

The first thing they did was buy a chunk of land on the Mexican border and hire eminent domain lawyers so as to make building a wall more costly and time consuming

Edit it looks like they did the rest of the things and they're all good if not nearly as funny as that https://www.cardsagainsthumanitysavesamerica.com/

The last one is great tho

• Locked thread