Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Waffles Inc. posted:

Invalidates? Are you under the assumption Lowtax is going to ban people for their movie thoughts or something?

You have a bad opinion, no need for Lowtax to validate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Waffles Inc. posted:

Invalidates? Are you under the assumption Lowtax is going to ban people for their movie thoughts or something?

You thankfully have never wandered into any DC movie thread, then.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

You have a bad opinion, no need for Lowtax to validate that.

Whatsoever will one do

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The trouble is that it has been proven, over and over, that you have no idea what you are talking about. If you were to post a screen from each movie, as a sort of 'moviefight', you would fail to articulate anything in support of one film or against another. You will not write anything about this 'utilization'.

Your apparent goal, in the movie discussion forum, is to stifle discussion of movies. Instead of simply posting two screencaps.

First off I've posted in this thread once and not about this topic so I have no idea what you are talking about with what's already been proven to me personally.

Second of all it's not stifling discussion to disagree with you. Do you want me to preface everything with "in my opinion?" I didn't think that would be necessary.

I don't have screenshots of The Last Jedi outside of what I can google and I'm honestly not finding much for scenes I'd like to compare so this is the best I can do at the moment.

Here:

This looks incredibly flat to me. While the bright colors of the lightsabers contrast well with the largely muddy colors of the ground and other characters' wardrobes the overall image still seems bland to me. I will grant that earlier on in this sequence. If anything the pop of the lightsabers just draws more attention to the overall muddied look of everything else that's going on in frame.

Comparatively I'd really like to post Luke and Kylo Ren facing off on the salt planet however google has once again failed to give me anything after a quick check. I'd love to have something I could post as an image but all I can really find are either so low quality to be unusable or promo shots. Regardless I recall the use of color in that sequence to be much more striking. The black of Ren's outfit opposite Luke's more beige color scheme draw immediate focus to what's happening in the scene against the stark background of the salt planet.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Reason it may look flat, imo, is because it doesn't quite have good staging. The positioning or mark where the actors are supposed to be feels random as if they really planned the environment after the fact rather than properly mapping things out before hand completely or storyboarding. There's no cohesive eyeline leading to the back in an art form (the image of the wake of Godzilla 2014's destruction aftermath comes to mind). Maybe on the left side with Windu through Anakin. The costuming colors are grey or neutral as are the background robots not supporting sufficient contrast. It doesn't have to do with the effects so much as the direction and decisions or such.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Christ I'm glad I found the good thread.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nvm

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
For me it isn’t environments that are unconvincing, it is the figures/creatures and their activities that are unconvincing. Simply put, something either crosses the uncanny valley, the lighting doesn’t match or is unnatural, or an otherwise ‘realistic’ or ‘normal’ being does feats so extraordinary with perfection and fluidity that I get ripped out of the world.

Star Wars isn’t the only franchise that does this. In the Fellowship of the Ring I always get pulled right out of the film when they fight the cave troll in Moria, or anytime Legolas does something just ridiculous during every major battle sequence in both Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies. Superhero movies are the most egregious, with the exception of Nolan Batman (though I realize they are supposed to be extraordinary figures, see issues with lighting or uncanny valley).

I can’t believe Maz as a flesh and blood character, I couldn’t enjoy Yoda fighting the Emperor, I didn’t like the crystal foxes, etc. all for one or more of the three reasons I listed earlier.

This all takes a toll when it comes to believable storytelling and immersion into the story regardless of genre.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

dialhforhero posted:

For me it isn’t environments that are unconvincing, it is the figures/creatures and their activities that are unconvincing. Simply put, something either crosses the uncanny valley, the lighting doesn’t match or is unnatural, or an otherwise ‘realistic’ or ‘normal’ being does feats so extraordinary with perfection and fluidity that I get ripped out of the world.

Star Wars isn’t the only franchise that does this. In the Fellowship of the Ring I always get pulled right out of the film when they fight the cave troll in Moria, or anytime Legolas does something just ridiculous during every major battle sequence in both Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies. Superhero movies are the most egregious, with the exception of Nolan Batman (though I realize they are supposed to be extraordinary figures, see issues with lighting or uncanny valley).

I can’t believe Maz as a flesh and blood character, I couldn’t enjoy Yoda fighting the Emperor, I didn’t like the crystal foxes, etc. all for one or more of the three reasons I listed earlier.

This all takes a toll when it comes to believable storytelling and immersion into the story regardless of genre.

This is bizarre.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Milky Moor posted:

This is bizarre.

I can see what he means. As example, when the horses cut through any orc army there's no impact or physical resistance to what they're pushing against. It's like this fearsome Orc army is suddenly air and they're just flowing through them. It's about interaction with the environment. You can suspend belief but there it is.

Ang Lee and the special effects crew for the Hulk specifically take into account how he's supposed express himself and react to his environment, including the bullets and how they press against and then bounce off his flesh. It's very early but it passes better. Same with Jurassic Park and how the dinosaurs have weight, though they models brighter than whats around them their flesh and movements are enough to sell as is the practical effects, storyboarding, acting, and interaction with a live set.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 31, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

"Compositing" has replaced "editing" as the chief prequel complaint.

It's fun watching internet nerds learn decades old industry terms and throw them around like pseudo experts.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

It doesn't need to be filthy, but it just kind of lacks texture. It's hard to describe, but like, maybe add some fog just to break up the visuals a little bit. That's the only thing I could think of off the top of my head. It's just too clean of a frame. But that's probably due to the digital cameras.

The shot above, depicting the alleyway behind the bar, features a very large set. The background is a miniature, and live actors are composited into it. None of the imagery is computer generated, as far as I can tell. Fog and smoke effects are both employed, and the floor of the set is littered in trash, because it's an outdoor setting.

Flying Zamboni posted:

this is the best I can do at the moment.

Here:

This looks incredibly flat to me. While the bright colors of the lightsabers contrast well with the largely muddy colors of the ground and other characters' wardrobes the overall image still seems bland to me. I will grant that earlier on in this sequence. If anything the pop of the lightsabers just draws more attention to the overall muddied look of everything else that's going on in frame.

There's nothing particularly 'muddy' in the image, by definition; there is a clear value structure that puts the darkly-colored characters against the brightly-colored dirt, while the background - again - uses atmospheric haze effects to make the droid army appear grey. By 'muddy', you appear to mean 'monochromatic'. What we have have is a monochromatic image with a triad of light-dark-grey.

One thing I've noticed is that people talking about the composition always look directly at the lightsabers for some reason. But the most prominent part of the composition is Sam Jackson's body. That's important because he's the leader of this group and the one talking in this shot.

Look at the image in tiny size again, and see what stands out:

There are minor color contrasts, but the composition is obviously built around Sam Jackson. He is the darkly-dressed figure that 'pops' against the background, while the white lasers actually blend in somewhat with the light-orange dirt.

Also, the image is 'flat' because the camera is literally angled downwards to emphasize that they are surrounded. This is also why Jackson is placed low in the composition.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 31, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They do not have the high ground, it was a good move on their part.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

It's fun watching internet nerds learn decades old industry terms and throw them around like pseudo experts.

No one here is an expert. We're all just a bunch of nerds making GBS threads out opinions.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The shot above, depicting the alleyway behind the bar, features a very large set. The background is a miniature, and live actors are composited into it. None of the imagery is computer generated, as far as I can tell. Fog and smoke effects are both employed, and the floor of the set is littered in trash, because it's an outdoor setting.

There's nothing particularly 'muddy' in the image, by definition; there is a clear value structure that puts the darkly-colored characters against the brightly-colored dirt, while the background - again - uses atmospheric haze effects to make the droid army appear grey. By 'muddy', you appear to mean 'monochromatic'. What we have have is a monochromatic image with a triad of light-dark-grey.

One thing I've noticed is that people talking about the composition always look directly at the lightsabers for some reason. But the most prominent part of the composition is Sam Jackson's body. That's important because he's the leader of this group and the one talking in this shot.

Look at the image in tiny size again, and see what stands out:

There are minor color contrasts, but the composition is obviously built around Sam Jackson. He is the darkly-dressed figure that 'pops' against the background, while the white lasers actually blend in somewhat with the light-orange dirt.

Also, the image is 'flat' because the camera is literally angled downwards to emphasize that they are surrounded. This is also why Jackson is placed low in the composition.

This is good SMG posting. No smug. Informative without being insulting

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I agree.

I hope smg sees TLJ.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
I actually read this post

as a reply to the one above it:

UmOk posted:

Hmm. AotC strikes again

By this criteria, the post was perfect.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

No one here is an expert. We're all just a bunch of nerds making GBS threads out opinions.

There's a few goons here who work in the industry, guy.

And no, I'm not talking about DarkPriest.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 31, 2017

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

His wife, August Ames, committed suicide. :( Tragic. I was genuinely sad at that.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

people who work in the industry are also often clueless nerds. the world is full of clueless nerds these days *turns on monitor, orders from mcdonalds drivethru, etc*

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah the visual “dislike” is ideological; they don’t like the movies because of memes, so the goalposts always have to keep moving

I would never have guess the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons would one day be the bannerman of something that could be called an "ideology," even though I've been picking apart the same lovely argument style since I first registered an account on a message board.

The irony is that the quality of the work in question is much less relevant than the quality of the argument. At some level, the core of it is that one is smarter than the film (etc) and this is funny, but there is no insight or humour involved, just a sort of wounded outrage that someone likes a thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Yeah, but they have better things to do then talk about star wars.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Also, the point wasn't about industry professionals, it was about goal post movers learning decades old industry terminology.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

People often judge new Star War films based on the pop-culture osmotic interpretation of what a Star War film is. This interpretation was invented in 1977 and is wrong. It has been recirculated and reinforced by things like fandom activity and entertainment media. I have vowed to destroy it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Having rewatched Rogue One boy I hope they don't do the cgi of dead actors or recut old footage again. It's super jarring. Rest of it is still pretty good though.

quote:

I'm imagining people complaining about how the fog, if they had included it, looks like something from a PS2 game.

It'd look like a Nintendo 64 game, which would be good since Turok owns.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 31, 2017

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RBA Starblade posted:

Having rewatched Rogue One boy I hope they don't do the cgi of dead actors or recut old footage again. It's super jarring. Rest of it is still pretty good though.

The powers that be promised that they would not do this to Carrie Fisher. Hopefully that's the actual truth.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

It'd look like a Nintendo 64 game, which would be good since Turok owns.

Turok 1 and 2 were my favorite FPS games at the time. I preferred it over Goldeneye. The music and varied large stages from Turok 2 was boss.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I appreciate this response, thank you! Of the entire prequel trilogy I've always had the biggest problems with the general look of the Geonosis arena segment in AotC. I appreciate being able to watch with a different approach to the visuals in mind.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The last two pages of posts have added nothing to the conversation and made no one feel any different.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Not every frame is gold- I do think that for every filmmaker there was a bit of a learning curve for digital film so AotC has a few naff shots, and the overall color palette of Geonosis is tricky what with the heavy tan element. But I think it works more than it doesn't.

My general view of Clones- which I've said earlier but everyone ends up restating everywhere on the thread (It's like poetry)- is that it is in some ways the most flawed of the series, but it has some of the most interesting highs as well. It's trying to do some of the trickiest conceptual stuff in the series, AND the trickiest technical stuff in terms of being the first to go all digital, and so on.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 31, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gatts posted:

Turok 1 and 2 were my favorite FPS games at the time. I preferred it over Goldeneye. The music and varied large stages from Turok 2 was boss.

Disney now owns Turok and is not doing my anything with them ever since they ended all game development and publishing. What a shame.

You can buy Turok 1 and 2 with improved graphics at GOG now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The MSJ posted:

Disney now owns Turok and is not doing my anything with them ever since they ended all game development and publishing. What a shame.

You can buy Turok 1 and 2 with improved graphics at GOG now.

This can't be true, the graphics are perfect already.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This can't be true, the graphics are perfect already.

I guess reducing the fog does take away the charm a bit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rage Wars was my jam, though I had the bugged version that made progression impossible after a while.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The MSJ posted:

I guess reducing the fog does take away the charm a bit.

Yes there have just been two pages about the need for fog

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Environments are probably the one thing CGI gets right nearly every time. It’s organic ‘human’ elements that suck. That’s why no one complains about space battles looking like poo poo but can’t stand Jar-Jar.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheNewt posted:

The last two pages of posts have added nothing to the conversation and made no one feel any different.

I dunno, my opinion of Turok has gone up a bunch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The scariest video game I has ever played was Jurassic Park on Sega Genesis. I was straight up terrified of the velociraptors. I don't know why I wound up buying a new copy of Turok Dinosaur Hunter a few years later.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

Environments are probably the one thing CGI gets right nearly every time. It’s organic ‘human’ elements that suck. That’s why no one complains about space battles looking like poo poo but can’t stand Jar-Jar.

Nobody complains about what Jar Jar looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Detective No. 27 posted:

The scariest video game I has ever played was Jurassic Park on Sega Genesis. I was straight up terrified of the velociraptors. I don't know why I wound up buying a new copy of Turok Dinosaur Hunter a few years later.

You must of not played many games.