Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Edmond Dantes posted:

It's mostly a hitbox issue I think. The worst offender by far is Smelter Demon, but there's a lot things that feel like bullshit going on:

This is just the price you pay for the cohesive story with well thought out world design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fister Roboto posted:

The UGS red phantom in front of undead purgatory is pretty bullshit. He spins on a dime while swinging that bigass sword and you will get hit if you're anywhere near him.
He can turn around partway through his swing animation because he is a phantom, and follows the same rules as players. His weapon is slow as poo poo and you won't get hit if you utilize your roll button

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

The UGS red phantom in front of undead purgatory is pretty bullshit. He spins on a dime while swinging that bigass sword and you will get hit if you're anywhere near him.

DS2 npc enemies with player movesets (red phantoms) are the devil. Dragonbros at the shrine and dragonblood knights in the dlc belong to these assholes, too. And the "roaming souls" (persistent red phantoms in ng+). They all can cancel all kind of animations, even their rolls, to stab you for truckloads of damage. I could swear that i have seen them roll out of poise staggérs.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 31, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Edmond Dantes posted:

Farron wasn't as bad as I thought, honestly; poison builds up fast and goes down slowly, but the poison itself doesn't make your health go down that fast so between clumps, estus and a bit of patience it's doable. Better than loving blighttown or 5-1 for sure.

It's mostly a hitbox issue I think. The worst offender by far is Smelter Demon, but there's a lot things that feel like bullshit going on:

Is this a problem from lack of agility? The ogre grab is hard to dodge but I've played a poo poo ton of DS2 and I've never had any of the other issues.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

The Kingfish posted:

Is this a problem from lack of agility? The ogre grab is hard to dodge but I've played a poo poo ton of DS2 and I've never had any of the other issues.

Pretty much, yes.
Some these are typical darksouls grapple.gif situations, like ogre or pursuer. DS1 Ornstein's spear had some funky hitboxes, too.
All DS2 enemies track you more with their attacks, too. With 69.99% max. normal-roll encumberance and low agility you get those "pursuer_grapple.gif" situations all the time.

Smelter's animations and hitbox really just don't add up sometimes. Same goes for the ice kitties in Eleum Loyce. The more monstrous are beastly the boss, the higher the chance that hitboxes get funky.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 31, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

OutofSight posted:

DS2 npc enemies with player movesets (red phantoms) are the devil. Dragonbros at the shrine and dragonblood knights in the dlc belong to these assholes,too. And the "roaming souls" (persistent red phantoms in ng+). They all can cancel all kind of animations, even their rolls, to stab you for truckloads of damage. I could swear that i have seen them roll out of poise staggérs.
I would like to see an example of an NPC enemy "canceling" an animation, because I've never seen them do anything out of line with how early the player can attack after a roll or another attack.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah it's weird i had seen a lot of bitching about farron keep but it's way less of a hassle than blighttown or valley of defilement.

It's just sort of boring and the Grue guys sorta suck and if you want the rare items you gotta just go very slowly through and fight a bunch of tough enemies...

It's pretty looking, I dig the aesthetic, but the Crucifixion Woods is prettier and less tedious to traverse as well. Restricting your mobility is usually a frustrating move.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Farron Keep is perfectly fine, but tbh I don’t have a huge problem with Blighttown either

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I like blighttown and dislike farron keep.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DS2 had the least bad poison swamp area.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the only two areas i hate in souls games are lost izalith and frozen outskirts.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
farron keep is the swamp area with the best boss though so I guess it evens out

serpent lady is "ok". quaelagg got a lot more boring for me once I realized how easily you can make her attacks whiff. her horizontal swings just don't hit you if you get right up next to her head, and if you're on the side of the head the thrust won't hit you either. or the lava barf. then all that you need to dodge ever is the explosion AoE.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Who thinks Farron looks good? The part past the gate and the bridge are sort of nice but the swamp is awful. It’s easily less visually appealing than Blighttown or Valley of Defilement, which at least covered their ugly visuals up with darkness. Almost more so than DS2, DS3 is weirdly unwilling to do itself this favor. Catacombs is another great example of what I mean, it looks unnecessarily bland and monotone because the whole thing is lit evenly and brightly despite there being no obvious reason why this should be so.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

IronicDongz posted:

I would like to see an example of an NPC enemy "canceling" an animation, because I've never seen them do anything out of line with how early the player can attack after a roll or another attack.

https://youtu.be/Z2lT-YiyQBU?t=7m

Not the leap attack ->cancel ->roll combo i was searching for, but the undead purgatory ugs phantom gets twitchy enough.
I will try to find some other stuff later, so please bear with me.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Ds2 npcs are bullshit but I always forget about them because I always immediately think about how bad the bloodborne npcs are

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

This would be boring af, it would basically be an SL1 run without pyro or weapon upgrades. Hope you like watching the reinforced club R1 for 10 hours.

100% agree

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I think the rear end in a top hat in undead purgatory is the worst offender though because fighting him like a player rather than a hypertracking miniboss gets you severely owned

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Who thinks Farron looks good? The part past the gate and the bridge are sort of nice but the swamp is awful. It’s easily less visually appealing than Blighttown or Valley of Defilement, which at least covered their ugly visuals up with darkness. Almost more so than DS2, DS3 is weirdly unwilling to do itself this favor. Catacombs is another great example of what I mean, it looks unnecessarily bland and monotone because the whole thing is lit evenly and brightly despite there being no obvious reason why this should be so.

The first big room with the bottomless pit almost feels like a Mario level.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
maybe I never saw that NPC do that before because I was always either poking him from range with a spear or bullying him w/my own greatsword

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

IronicDongz posted:

I like blighttown and dislike farron keep.

Blighttown is a legit great zone and there's an item you can use to circumvent the swamp's slowness, meaning that it is always your own fault if you are inconvenienced. I get that being able to trivialize the swamp probably made the devs feel it redundant to include it, but I think the poison aspect keeps the swamp, well, swampy. Either way, DS1's swamp is the series' best* and they should probably retire the concept if they can't do it better.

*Demon's Souls is the more atmospheric and challenging though

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

OutofSight posted:

https://youtu.be/Z2lT-YiyQBU?t=7m

Not the leap attack ->cancel ->roll combo i was searching for, but the undead purgatory ugs phantom gets twitchy enough.
I will try to find some other stuff later, so please bear with me.
It's funny that I can't tell if this is intentional behavior that's just buggy(the 'staggered by deflection' period was reduced for added difficulty, but they never changed the deflection animations to reflect that), or if it's just a normal bug, E.g., only staggered for 1/10th the intended time.

Either way is dumb enough to be plausible

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Valley of Defilement is legit really stressful and it nails the putrid shantytown vibe better than Blighttown I think. I like the verticality of Blighttown though

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I actually adore the gently caress out of Valley of Defilement. It might be my favorite zone in DeS, if not a close second to Tower of Latria.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I keep putzing around with a build, and I'm not sure what I wanna do. Started as knight again this time around and am around Wolnir. I kinda wanna try dex weapons. I've done quality, pyro, sorcery, etc. Even tried a weird bleed build that spammed the bandit dagger. I'm looking for something different. Is uchigatana and black blade viable all the way through?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yes, absolutely.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

New Concept Hole posted:

It's funny that I can't tell if this is intentional behavior that's just buggy(the 'staggered by deflection' period was reduced for added difficulty, but they never changed the deflection animations to reflect that), or if it's just a normal bug, E.g., only staggered for 1/10th the intended time.

It's not so much a bug as a CPU-and-memory-saving simplification I think. I'd have to check, but I do not think the game bothers to monitor all of the animation lockout flags for enemy humans, including online player phantoms.

Why add the overhead, when their client stops them from executing another attack due to it being set on their end? But again, I'd have to check.

It definitely keeps track of the inventory stance flag, funny enough.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 31, 2017

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

it turns out if you hug dragonslayer armour's shield and just keep circling him on that side, 90% of his attacks will completely whiff you - won't even hit your shield

e: just went to visit my Good Friend the Giant on the top of the undead settlement tower. rest in peace for some reason, but holy poo poo this is an absolutely incredible view! you can see everything from up here! entirety of undead settlement, farron keep, cathedral of the deep... this spot rules. i'm impressed because he could hit anything with that bow of his

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 31, 2017

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

having some big lol's in the catacombs I have no idea where I'm going but these skeleton balls are kooky

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

New Concept Hole posted:

There were other videos, where the ugs phantom goes apeshit on the r1s without being really deflected by the shield.
The npc dark spirits added in SotFS are the most prone to this strange behavior, because their AI is so aggressive for DS2 speeds.

This is the worst offender when i am talking about animation cancels:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1123821458

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

where the red fern gropes posted:

my Good Friend the Giant on the top of the undead settlement tower. rest in peace for some reason

The reason is that you picked up all the Young White Branches on the ground around the tree.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

OutofSight posted:

There were other videos, where the ugs phantom goes apeshit on the r1s without being really deflected by the shield.
The npc dark spirits added in SotFS are the most prone to this strange behavior, because their AI is so aggressive for DS2 speeds.

This is the worst offender when i am talking about animation cancels:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1123821458

The SOTFS phantoms basically play the game with the speeds I wish I could play them at (ludicrous cheat-y speeds aside, as pictured). Why are you locked into attack/stagger animations for so long when they can just go ham like they're playing DS3 :negative:

Aug 24, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

The reason is that you picked up all the Young White Branches on the ground around the tree.

are they horcruxes or some poo poo, i have 7 of them

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

where the red fern gropes posted:

are they horcruxes or some poo poo, i have 7 of them

I think he's just protecting the trees, and when you've collected them his mission is ended so he can finally rest, or something to that effect. I'm not sure what story they are trying to tell there.

Aug 24, 2011

lol i beat lothric in 2 tries, i made the mistake of summoning sirris the first time because i couldn't find orbeck's (it was outside, on one of the turret things)

i had to heal him several times but luckily i'm the good cleric, trusty patches, and he was in tip top shape by the end of it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's one of my favorite fights in the series. then again i'm one of those people that thinks "it's just a guy in armor" was a bad ds2 complaint since all the best fights in the series are against humanoids and often clad in armor.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's one of my favorite fights in the series. then again i'm one of those people that thinks "it's just a guy in armor" was a bad ds2 complaint since all the best fights in the series are against humanoids and often clad in armor.

Twin Princes is a fight that I both love and hate and it really depends on how much difficulty I am having with it. The fight does a lot of obnoxious DS3 things -- it seems to go on a bit too long, and the enemy has a lot of "gently caress you" attacks, especially in the second phase. Teleporting and slamming and breaking my lock on are all really, really bullshit moves and I hate them.

But I love how the fight looks and I dig that while it appears like a "dude in armor" fight, you're basically doing a variation of Ornstein and Smough but with a wizard and a paladin, and you have to kill the wizard to win. The "attack his back" element makes it more interesting than, say, DS2's Velstadt and helps differentiate it from the Dragonslayer Armor as well. It toes the line of bullshit, but doesn't cross over, and so I give it good marks.

Aug 24, 2011

i thoroughly enjoyed both grand archives and the lothric fight, i am a huge fan of how the place had a single bonfire and just gave you a bunch of shortcuts to get through the zone, including shortcuts past other shortcuts

i also really enjoy how i'm forced to mix up my strategies. i was having trouble with just my butcher knife so i got the black knight halberd, and that's really good for longer range stuff where i don't want to get hit. i also started abusing toxic mist to kill the trio of guys in grand archives, and also the fat angels. it's a really strong pyromancy!

i knocked out a bunch of quests but gave orbeck's ashes to the handmaid instead of yuria :( so i don't get to see what happens with that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the trio i just led one by one back into the building. it's the same way i killed the hunter trio in bloodborne.

Aug 24, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

the trio i just led one by one back into the building. it's the same way i killed the hunter trio in bloodborne.

yeah i did that. i shot them in the head one by one so they'd follow me then i misted them

i also use the dorhys bleeding miracle to kill dragons and poo poo

when i beat the game does it immediately launch NG+ like DS1 or is it like DS2 where you choose to restart at the home bonfire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pablo Gigante posted:

Farron Keep is perfectly fine, but tbh I don’t have a huge problem with Blighttown either

My problem with Farron Keep is mostly a complaint about level design. Blighttown's actual poison swamp comprises a much smaller part of the overall level. The only mandatory thing you need to do within the poison swamp is wade through a small section of it to get to Quelaag, and the only enemies you face are the berserkers and the Chaos grubs. Farron Keep requires you to run through a largely identical-looking poison swamp nearly the entire time while you're being chased by ultra fast dog demons and the gigantic tree-wielding fuckers that are nearly impossible to deal with in deep water. Blighttown's descending verticality gives you a real sense of climbing down into the underworld, which aids the overall arc of mythic adventure Dark Souls 1 has, while Farron's prairie-flat horizontality makes it feel like what it actually is: a boring poison swamp.