Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

muscles like this! posted:

He supposedly did Zardoz because it was literally the only script his agent brought him that wasn't just some knock off Bond spy movie.

I guess I can see that, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This is a loving parody, btw.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Dune is my poo poo and this thread has me wanting to read some of the sequels, someone convince me this is a bad idea.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bold Robot posted:

Dune is my poo poo and this thread has me wanting to read some of the sequels, someone convince me this is a bad idea.

no.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Bold Robot posted:

Deffo read through God Emperor, and if you're still hyped for more do the last two.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Read all of Frank’s books or the violence of your answers will be unanswered

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

The consensus is is read the first 4 and than see if you can stomach the other 2.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Sekenr posted:

The consensus is is read the first 4 and than see if you can stomach the other 2.

Yeah, I enjoyed the first four and I'm now half-way through Chapterhouse Dune. Not gonna read any more after that.

Personally I found the first book moved along swiftly despite it's size, but the sequels seemed less streamlined as they progressed. There's still a lot of fascinating world-building and interesting characters in them though.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Tell me of your homeworld Incel

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tace Vim posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed the first four and I'm now half-way through Chapterhouse Dune. Not gonna read any more after that.

That's good, because there aren't any after that.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I read the Wikipedia summary for chapter house and got all prepared to delete the obvious vandalism about space Jews

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Doon is best Dune. It should be completely terrible (Doon - the Dessert planet! Everything is made of sugar, and the sugar dunes are roamed by fierce giant pretzels! They all seek the mysterious Beer narcotic!) but it's great.

NOAMCHOMSKI of course standing for Neutralis Organizational Abba Mercantile Condominium Havatampa Orthonovum Minnehaha Shostakovitch Kategorical Imperative.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 29, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Worm sign spotted in Funny Pictures thread:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

lmao

mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I had heard of "Doon" years ago. Gonna order it.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Um-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m I just finished Dune and Hm-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m Ah-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h

I guess I’m confused as to what extent the characters and factions in the story adhere to the messianic prophecies vs in universe physical explanations for the occurrences

For example, the Bene Gesserit are stated to seed planets with prescribed mythology which they can exploit as needs be in the future. Yet they hold similar hopes and teachings within their own sect.

Paul seems to genuinely fluctuate between realpolitiklike exploiting the Fremen belief in his ascendancy and genuinely believing in his messiahhood. This despite the fact that most of his abilities seem to be correlated to his training and his repeated exposures to the spice and spice variants. I feel that this fluctuation in posture to the spice is because of the unstated addiction that he holds but I don’t know?!

The water of life? What is meant by “changing” the water of life?? What the heck

I suppose this is all supposed to be vague and doublethinky, it reminds me a lot of kabbalistic thought where contradictions are held without contradiction, I don’t know

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

To some extent what I’m asking is: does this book have a reliable narrator or is it structured as though the events within already are legend

Despite the fact that a bunch of philosophizing about legend occurs within

Also, it’s not just me, Paul turns into a major dick, right?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
When you drown a (small) Shai-Hulud it barfs up its bile. This is the water of life. It's super concentrated spice. It's also super poisonous. After Jessica drinks it, she needs to use all her Bene Gesseret powers to metabolize it into something not poison so she gets to access all her (female) ancestors memories and not, you know, die from poison.

If she does this everyone in the tribe gets to gently caress.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PTSDeedly Do posted:

To some extent what I’m asking is: does this book have a reliable narrator or is it structured as though the events within already are legend

Yes the book's narrator is reliable. Paul becoming a dick is the entire point of the novel.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PTSDeedly Do posted:

Read Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, Paul being awful and conflicted is a big part of his character.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Arrhythmia posted:

When you drown a (small) Shai-Hulud it barfs up its bile. This is the water of life. It's super concentrated spice. It's also super poisonous. After Jessica drinks it, she needs to use all her Bene Gesseret powers to metabolize it into something not poison so she gets to access all her (female) ancestors memories and not, you know, die from poison.

If she does this everyone in the tribe gets to gently caress.

So Friday night, got it.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
What could be more reliable than thousands of years of galactic history, told by the victors?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PTSDeedly Do posted:

For example, the Bene Gesserit are stated to seed planets with prescribed mythology which they can exploit as needs be in the future. Yet they hold similar hopes and teachings within their own sect.

I believe that's supposed to be an intentional example of hypocrisy.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This thread has me feening to read the original series again, bad. I will pick it up somewhere, I'm going to check out Amazon used books, I have to.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Defiance Industries posted:

I believe that's supposed to be an intentional example of hypocrisy.

It's certainly pretty arrogant of them to assume that while all the myths they sneaked onto other planets are bullshit for their own benefit while their own religious myth is totes real

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Leto lied
Duncans died

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Herbert's own feelings about history come through the books pretty strongly. He makes it pretty clear in interviews he once wanted to be a historian, but decided to write fiction and stuff for newspapers instead. As far as a reliable narrator, one is to take the story as literal yeah, when it's like "Paul got on the worm" that's because he did. But the snippets that begin each chapter as usually esoterica and quotes (often inaccurate) because he was writing as a futuristic historian and them getting lots of stuff about the past wrong was apparently amusing to him.

Also, in God Emperor Leto has many prominent historians burned alive with their works in the center of his holy city. When he is asked why he did this, he responds "Because they lied."

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I like dune a lot. Im listrning to heretics now on audible and its far easier to stomach with a british man reading it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

basic hitler posted:

I like dune a lot. Im listrning to heretics now on audible and its far easier to stomach with a british man reading it.

Now I want Pat Stew to narrate the movie

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Here, I................. spiced............... it up a little bit.

Also fixed some alignment and spacing and just generally uncrappified it a tad.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

basic hitler posted:

I currently going through an audio book of Dune, it's quite well done, and a lot of it's done like a radio play with numerous parts being played by different actors, although only some parts of the book are like that. Guy who plays the Baron Harkonnen is really good.

Although everyone says Harkonnen wrong, and also Chani.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Zeniel posted:

I currently going through an audio book of Dune, it's quite well done, and a lot of it's done like a radio play with numerous parts being played by different actors, although only some parts of the book are like that. Guy who plays the Baron Harkonnen is really good.

The Lynch movie ('harKONen') said it differently than the syfy miniseries ('HARkonen') so one of them must be right?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I watched the Lynch movie (director's cut) enough to basically memorize it, I have the Syfy DVDs to watch if I want

so I guess that's my next few days

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/DankDuneMemes/status/905123993698664450?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Zeniel posted:

Warning: the subsequent books dont feature more than a few very brief alternate actors. God emperor has someone different who reads the opening quotes but that is basically it.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Murray Mantoinette posted:

The Lynch movie ('harKONen') said it differently than the syfy miniseries ('HARkonen') so one of them must be right?
They use the syfy pronunciation.

I am of course being silly, but I prefer the Lynch pronunciation.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

basic hitler posted:

Warning: the subsequent books dont feature more than a few very brief alternate actors. God emperor has someone different who reads the opening quotes but that is basically it.

Sounds pretty much the same as this audio book. Works for me. :)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

kanly is not a crime

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Zeniel posted:

They use the syfy pronunciation.

I am of course being silly, but I prefer the Lynch pronunciation.

lynch pronunciation was approved by herbert iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The miniseries loving suckz