Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Should I buy a big jar of coconut oil and rub it on my birds at every possible opportunity

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
"You know what this flying, screaming can opener needs? Slipperiness."

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Are you trying to make a weapon to surpass metal gear?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Sekkira posted:

Are you trying to make a weapon to surpass metal gear?

..coconut bird?!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Hello, bird thread. I have a derpy tiel, a few years old, who I love to death. I am getting him a friend. I've been in touch with a local rescue person and I have made arrangements for another male cockatiel out there who will be ready for a forever home come the new year.

I am extremely nervous about this. New bird will have his own space, though I hope to house them together eventually. Please give me advice on how to not have two birds kill each other or, equally heart breaking, decide they like each other more than me.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

RoboRodent posted:

Hello, bird thread. I have a derpy tiel, a few years old, who I love to death. I am getting him a friend. I've been in touch with a local rescue person and I have made arrangements for another male cockatiel out there who will be ready for a forever home come the new year.

I am extremely nervous about this. New bird will have his own space, though I hope to house them together eventually. Please give me advice on how to not have two birds kill each other or, equally heart breaking, decide they like each other more than me.

I have no advice but would like to wish you good luck, congratulations, and request pictures and your bird's (or soon to be birds') name(s) please.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Well, okay. I will pay the birb tax.

This is Sir Serendipity Seven-Toes, Sera for short. He doesn't care if you think he has a girl's name. He's two and a half and I've had him since he was three months old and I made a guess and it was wrong. We deal.

He likes millet, sour cream, cuddles, all the kisses, If You're Happy And You Know It, the theme song from the Addams Family, looking out the window suspiciously on guard for crows, trying to eat my food while I'm cooking, and sitting too close to the TV.

The new bird, coming from a rescue situation has a lot of unknowns. They think he's between five and seven years old, and he has no name. I have a few ideas, but I'll wait until I know him better to decide on anything.

I showed the pictures to my family over Christmas and they said "oh he looks just like Sera how will you tell them apart???" They're different colours that's how. :shrug:

RoboRodent fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 31, 2017

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Should I buy a big jar of coconut oil and rub it on my birds at every possible opportunity

If Maxwell the cockatoo is any indication, parrots hate getting oiled up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x5I6TcTGXw

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBFuzr_GnqQ

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RoboRodent posted:

Well, okay. I will pay the birb tax.

This is Sir Serendipity Seven-Toes, Sera for short. He doesn't care if you think he has a girl's name. He's two and a half and I've had him since he was three months old and I made a guess and it was wrong. We deal.

He likes millet, sour cream, cuddles, all the kisses, If You're Happy And You Know It, the theme song from the Addams Family, looking out the window suspiciously on guard for crows, trying to eat my food while I'm cooking, and sitting too close to the TV.

The new bird, coming from a rescue situation has a lot of unknowns. They think he's between five and seven years old, and he has no name. I have a few ideas, but I'll wait until I know him better to decide on anything.

I showed the pictures to my family over Christmas and they said "oh he looks just like Sera how will you tell them apart???" They're different colours that's how. :shrug:
Look at those little guys :3: Goddamn I love cockatiels.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
:sax: i've been through the desert with a bird with no name

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

birby-8
https://i.imgur.com/SBYt7Cb.mp4

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Flappy New Year bird pals!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/ge2QZbX.mp4

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Mizuti posted:

If Maxwell the cockatoo is any indication, parrots hate getting oiled up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x5I6TcTGXw

Yes it was the ol' oily Maxwell I was thinking of when considering the pros and cons of greasing up my two. I have been recommended coconut oil for my awful peeling fingernails (I work in a cafe, lots of hot water, detergent, bleach, metho, sanitiser) and remembered it was meant to be good for birb bits as they are also made of keratin.

Mind you, aren't bird feathers made of keratin too... I can't imagine a lovebird tolerating being dunked in a jar of coconut oil like a chicken in mite killer.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Fancy man.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

omg love the fluff on his beak.....potatoes are so cute!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

"Remove it. :mad:"

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

RoboRodent posted:

I remembered a video I watched once, even though I don't have any birds myself. This is a video from a Montana-based animal rescue/education center about introducing parrots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsIWm6yY7Rw

Good luck.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Yes it was the ol' oily Maxwell I was thinking of when considering the pros and cons of greasing up my two. I have been recommended coconut oil for my awful peeling fingernails (I work in a cafe, lots of hot water, detergent, bleach, metho, sanitiser) and remembered it was meant to be good for birb bits as they are also made of keratin.

Mind you, aren't bird feathers made of keratin too... I can't imagine a lovebird tolerating being dunked in a jar of coconut oil like a chicken in mite killer.

I oiled up Ohtori's beak and feet once after seeing some comments elsewhere about doing it... he allowed it but got very angry about not being allowed to straight up eat it, and seemed a bit weirded out about the whole thing. His beak looked great though

So fluffy and cute. Did they break the hanging platform in the back, or is it meant to be angled?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

So fluffy and cute. Did they break the hanging platform in the back, or is it meant to be angled?

Nah it's just hanging loosely.

It was meant as a feeder until I figured it's better to not feed the birds outside the cage, except for special treats. Now I occasionally serve some things on in inside the cage, but mostly it just gets used as a climbing exercise.

Edit: I think Pion flew over to me just planning to poop on me. I caught on to his plan before my clothes got soiled, but as soon as he'd dropped it on the floor he flew back to the swing. rear end in a top hat bird.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 2, 2018

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Birds do love shaky and wobbly perches and toys to balance on. Mine have a thick rope perch they are allowed to use when I'm supervising (if I kept it in their cage all the time I guarantee they would eat the fibres or strangle themselves and die when I'm not paying attention). It jiggles around and they have fun scooting up and down, bouncing, and hanging upside down. The happy jacks (loud, smart, social scrub birds closely related to crows and willy wagtails) at home like playing a game where one stands on the ground and one hangs upside down from a low branch. The one on the ground leaps straight up and the one on the branch bounces up and down and they try to get each other.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Rockmelon has been given the seal of approval, though it's obviously still not as good as kale or chilis.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I made a small order from Scarlett's Parrot Essentials for my partner to take back home on Thursday. Got some perches, a bowl shield thing, some special things for Steve, a Shred-It and indestructible bell for Ohtori to rage on, and a deluxe jingle ball for Inko :3:

I'm here in the UK until further notice, so won't get to see the birds for a while, and kind of miss them already. Hopefully being boarded at the vet over Christmas/New Year hasn't been too hard on them. They're being picked up on Friday-here's hoping the air quality isn't too lovely that day

I wanted to get a hoodie for Ohtori and maaaybe Inko but couldn't find a UK supplier of the Avian Fashions. Anyone know of one?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Indestructible bell? That sounds like a challenge!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

https://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/indestructabell-small

Inko has one already and it's as big as him so it might just live up to its name!

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Battle Pigeon posted:

https://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/indestructabell-small

Inko has one already and it's as big as him so it might just live up to its name!

lol, Bonny had one of those. She snapped it in half.

Moved on to these.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22066

She has tried, but she can't break.

She also had one of these, well until she snapped the plastic connector that secures it to the bars.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5950+5995&pcatid=5995

quote:

Durable bird dishes your bird won't be able to tip, spill, or chew through
ya right.

1500 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 3, 2018

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

It sure looks nice. Parrot beaks and feet usually seem so dry. But good luck trying to apply it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8CYCRMT8_4

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

1500 posted:

lol, Bonny had one of those. She snapped it in half.

Moved on to these.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22066

She has tried, but she can't break.

She also had one of these, well until she snapped the plastic connector that secures it to the bars.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5950+5995&pcatid=5995

ya right.

Ohtori has one of the metal tube types on the way as well! But as a small raging conure he's unlikely to get the same results Bonnie did. :v:

Does she still play with it in itself, or just attempt to break it?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Mizuti posted:

It sure looks nice. Parrot beaks and feet usually seem so dry. But good luck trying to apply it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8CYCRMT8_4

I just rub some on my fingers (I use coconut oil to cook with) and let Cricket play with my fingers. I play with her beak and feets like I always do, so the oil transfers to her, and she doesn't fuss too much when the oil gets on her beak/feets. She loves the taste of it, and I figure its ok for her to ingest it since she eats coconut anyway. Now, if I just take a glob of oil to rub on her, she basically won't let me do it. But if its already on my fingers and she thinks its a treat, it's different. I make a point to play with her feet and her beak all the time, so she is used to having me mess with her that way, so that might be part of why it's really a non-issue for the most part.

Afterwards, she smells so good, and her feet and beak look so nice and soft and shiny....

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 3, 2018

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Turns out there are a few wild/escaped and thriving IRNs in my town! People keep posting (over a period of months) about spotting the "lost" birdies with photos of them feeding from the wild bird feeders, or just chilling in the trees.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Battle Pigeon posted:

Turns out there are a few wild/escaped and thriving IRNs in my town! People keep posting (over a period of months) about spotting the "lost" birdies with photos of them feeding from the wild bird feeders, or just chilling in the trees.

Are you still in the UK?

There have been substantial wild flocks in some areas for decades, and they're basically thriving and spreading. Apparently they're causing problems for farmers in some areas, but in towns and cities they're just green squeaky fun for bird fans. I have been trying to get the little flock in the park on my way to work to love me for a while now.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Yeah, I've seen and fed them in London and know they were about there, this is a little seaside town in the south west so it was a bit more unexpected to see they're here too! Maybe I'll get to see one before leaving.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Battle Pigeon posted:

Yeah, I've seen and fed them in London and know they were about there, this is a little seaside town in the south west so it was a bit more unexpected to see they're here too! Maybe I'll get to see one before leaving.

They have a really distinctive flock call which makes trying to spot them easier if you know what to listen for

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Battle Pigeon posted:

Why did I just picture Port Wynn from Doc Martin?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

A rescue in Michigan just had 11 birds pass away of what is most likely contaminated food

https://m.facebook.com/birdsandbeaks/
First update on there and they haven’t had conclusive results yet but if you are feeding your birds these foods, I might consider holding off or switching for a bit.

quote:

Information about the food batches:
Zupreem, Large for macaws/cockatoos etc:
10287 865309107 Use By: 3/31/19
Zupreem, Large for macaws/cockatoos etc:
09137 862908047 Use by: 2/28/19
Higgin's Vita Seed Parrot Use By: 4/5/19
Lefeber's Tropical Fruit Nutriberries: Use By Batch: 122218B

I can’t imagine how devastating that must be to have happen

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Jesus that's awful and devastating.

On a lighter note, Nicky discovered how salty my hands are when I get home from the gym. A very gentle investigation ensued.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

It's cute how she's using her foot to investigate as well :3:

Birds are being picked up tomorrow; called today to mention it and ask for update. Apparently they're very loud, still nippy, and the conures are picky about their food (think she meant fresh specifically) while Steve has been happily eating everything. We asked what fresh food they're getting since what we gave would have been used by now, and she said the stuff they use for the reptiles etc, so "Apple, banana, pomegranate, etc". All fruits and not many, will clarify tomorrow tho. She then texted a few photos of each of them-

Ohtori was clung to the bars, eye pinned, feathers all flared up
Steve was clinging to the bars next to the door in the LET ME OUT pose, then chilled on a perch
Inko was just quietly staring with a very chewed up hanging mat thing in the background

Also, in Steve's photos, his seed bowl did not have seed in it, it was full of pellets... hoping they just put his bowls in randomly. But between that, and her fresh food list only being fruit-which Steve avoided-it made us even more confused that apparently he's been eating everything just fine :derptiel:

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's update when they're home, and curious how much they weigh and how fast they take their baths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sounds like they fared healthy, congrats!