Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah the carpet goes flat at the bottom. Took my brain 10 seconds to process it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This is an interesting house. It was supposedly built in 1981 and remodeled in 1990 but the realtor babble calls it a "mid century modern" (lol) and the styling seems to be a mishmash of 60s/70s/80s.

There's a super neato relief sculpture in the living room

and enclosed balconies over the two-level sunroom/greenhouse that abuts the other rooms in the house and has outdoor balconies attached to it. Balconies on balconies on balconies.

A tile floor art studio on the upper level next to the bedrooms - I dig the fold-down counters

The bathrooms are the weirdest part. This one gives new meaning to the term "hall bath".

These fixtures look older than 1981 don't they?

Personally I feel like $550k was too high a price given that it hasn't been remodeled in 30 years, you'd have to reno the bathrooms (old fixtures ok, carpet NOT OK) and it's in Provo UT. Guess that's why I'm not a realtor.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'd buy that house just for the trio of tiddies. HOT drat. Three? Three of them. What the gently caress is that weird bathroom though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I dig the big rooms and some of the wood paneling, but they went kind of nuts with the wood at times, and those bathrooms aren't great. The enclosed balcony is also kind of an odd design choice.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't care what any of you say or what the energy bill is going to be, a 2-story sun room is sex on a stick.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

For Foothill Drive in Provo that price isn't bad at all. It's as high up the hill as you can build, and you have state/nat'l park land behind you.

You're also right on the fault line, but we'll ignore that.

As a reference point, my grandparents' 1600 sq ft post-ww2 tract home on .2 acres with a detached 1 car garage is worth $220,000 now. Utah's prices aren't California ridiculous yet, but they're trying.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 28, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Provo is a college town that no one ever leaves

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Youth Decay posted:

These fixtures look older than 1981 don't they?
What's up with that ceiling? It almost looks padded. Is it just really weird texturing giving that effect thanks to the grandma chic decor?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Haifisch posted:

What's up with that ceiling? It almost looks padded. Is it just really weird texturing giving that effect thanks to the grandma chic decor?

Textured ceiling, popular in the 80s.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The purchase of that house comes with a free set of John Denver albums for your hi-fi.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The purchase of that house comes with a free set of Dan Fogelberg albums for your hi-fi.

ftfy, not whitebread enough

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

@pleasehatethesethings is my new favorite Instagram account.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc3fWF_ALBn/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc3MiJkABk6/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc-3izpg_5O/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Those are pretty great, but did you see the non-elucidation mirror?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdNu48nAti0/

The wallpaper almsot implies something techno, but then the grandma lamps and Stonehenge picture swing it over to mad wizard.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Those are pretty great, but did you see the non-elucidation mirror?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdNu48nAti0/

The wallpaper almsot implies something techno, but then the grandma lamps and Stonehenge picture swing it over to mad wizard.

This remake of American McGee's Alice is looking sweet.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

I don't mind this one too much. If you pulled up the carpet and put in some abstract furniture it would make a p. sweet "art" house. Some Verner Panton or similar would look ballin:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

I don't mind this one too much. If you pulled up the carpet and put in some abstract furniture it would make a p. sweet "art" house. Some Verner Panton or similar would look ballin:

I keep wanting the chairs to puzzle piece into the thing with the bird on it, but it just won't work.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I keep wanting the chairs to puzzle piece into the thing with the bird on it, but it just won't work.

That poo poo owns, I want one:

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why would anyone do that? I don't really rate the place to start with but the addition is literally money spent on nothing?

We are likely going to get something like that added onto our house at some point (not a horrible mismatched one like that though!). Primarily because it's nice to have a place that's out of the weather for people to enter the house in, shake off the rain etc and to have packages placed where they won't get ruined in the rain.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Who's up for some retro bad design ideas?

smdh if you can't picture the exact 50s/60s shade each of those listed colors is.

I'm almost impressed at their commitment to that deep shade of blue. Almost.

And in a completely different room, welcome to the flower hell dimension:

They even got to the toilet lid.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Haifisch posted:

Who's up for some retro bad design ideas?

smdh if you can't picture the exact 50s/60s shade each of those listed colors is.

I'm almost impressed at their commitment to that deep shade of blue. Almost.

And in a completely different room, welcome to the flower hell dimension:

They even got to the toilet lid.

I actually like the idea of the wall fridge / freezer, though I admit it would be a pain in the rear end to change out. As for the dark blue cabinet top and wall, I like that shade, I think that it goes OK with the dark wood. Shame about the appliance colors, though. OTOH, the bathroom is heinous

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
As a tall person, a wall fridge sounds like an amazing idea.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Yeah, but it's pretty small by today's standards (11 cubic feet of refrigerator + 2 cubic feet of freezer)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, but it's pretty small by today's standards (11 cubic feet of refrigerator + 2 cubic feet of freezer)

Today's *American* standards. A combined 250 to 300 litres (9 to 11 cubic feet) is very normal for a UK built-in fridge-freezer. I think it's been mentioned here before but there's literally a category on UK appliance websites for "American-style" fridge-freezers which is the big two door dealios y'all fill your kitchens with.

The thing that amuses me about the first fridge they show is that the homeowner lost two drawers and a cupboard in order to fit it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
If I was in a situation where I could pick my own fridge & freezer(aka 'not renting'), I'd honestly be down for something where the usual fridge:freezer ratio is reversed.

I don't need 5+ goddamned shelves for refrigerated food; I don't think I've ever needed more than two of them on a cheapo apartment thin fridge, let alone one of the two-door kinds. But I do need freezer space for costco runs, extra meat, frozen vegetables for emergencies/laziness, etc.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Fridges here usually have a few smaller doors that maximize compartment specialization. Ours is basically like this and I love it. My in-laws have the 2 doors on top and I find it frustrating to not see everything immediately, and the lesser used door fills up with neglected condiments and sauces. Get one like this if available :angel: Otoh, I go shopping 3-4 times a week and avoid canned and frozen food. Our freezer is mostly fruit for jam and mochi for mochi.
https://www.biccamera.com/bc/item/3807222/

Regular Fridge

Ice / Freezer Tray

Drinks and veggie overflow

Freezer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

#postyourfridge #coolstuff #cocowtb #toomanyoranges

P pleased with our stock today.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Are those chicken eggs? Maybe it's a trick of the angle but they look enormous.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yup, bought fresh every week from the egg vending machine on my way home from work. They sometimes have twin yolk eggs which are huge and horrific.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

egg vending machine

Wild

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

egg vending machine

Are you raiding chicken coops

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm pretty sure you could live a whole life in Japan without ever setting foot in a store, just buy everything from groceries to a house from vending machines.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Just leave a turd under your pillow and the toilet paper fairy will bring a fresh roll.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

PRADA SLUT posted:

That poo poo owns, I want one:

Mom: Hang in there baby, just a couple more photos and it will be all over
Kid: My neeeeck...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Pretty "lovely" pictures, but this is my parents upstairs bathroom. I feel it deserves some kind of recognition.

Unchanged since the 1970s aside from a new throne. I have to say I like the old style mixer tap with two knobs.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

lol "Can we make art nouveau tacky enough?" "Hold my beer"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
David Lynch totally stole this for twin peaks btw.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

cyberbug posted:

Mom: Hang in there baby, just a couple more photos and it will be all over
Kid: My neeeeck...

I have a photo of my 7-year-old nephew lying upside down, half-off of a couch, with his head sideways on the floor and his neck bent 90 degrees, while reading a book. Kids are weird.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kids are like cats. Both in terms of destructive potential and that they have bones made of rubber.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What are y'all's opinions about architraves and other such business? Style and colour. Do you think a house needs to be consistent throughout or adjust based on the surroundings of the door? Tell me all your thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

peanut posted:

Fridges here usually have a few smaller doors that maximize compartment specialization. Ours is basically like this and I love it.

I've been fridge shopping for our new home and it's frustrating trying to find a nice fridge that doesn't have a built-in ice / water dispenser, let alone with more doors + more compartmentalization. I'm super jealous of the fridge my in-laws have; four compartments plus a handy pop-open door that let's you grab beverages without opening the whole fridge.

Wife has some pretty grand ideas for our new home involving knocking down walls? I'm thinking we should fix that huge red accent wall first, and maybe get rid of the 70s era carpet that plagues all the bedrooms.