Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

wdarkk posted:

Firing pistols out windows is a long and storied tradition that will be kept until the last pistol falls to dust.

When firearms are all finally retired in favor of telepathically-charged heat rays, some joker will beam his heat-rays out a window by making finger pistols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

golden bubble posted:

There's a thread on historical podcasts in the Rapidly Going Deaf subforum, but I'd recommend Patrick Wyman's work: The Fall of Rome and Tides of History. One of Wyman best habits is his love of personal stories within history. He tries to show off what it would be like for generic goth subcommander 1850 or random mediterranean merchant 7162 while still talking about standard history.

Please link the thread. I have a long commute so I'm always looking for more good history podcasts.

Especially if they can give more insight to daily life and culture.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LLSix posted:

Please link the thread. I have a long commute so I'm always looking for more good history podcasts.

Especially if they can give more insight to daily life and culture.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532486&pagenumber=57&perpage=40
Here you go

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thank you very, very much!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Wait a sec, my cocktail has forever and a day been the Negroni, which for the uninitiated is Gin, Campari and sweet vermouth, usually tweaked with bitters.

Is it then an evolution of what Hegel’s dudes were knocking back?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

2 parts Clamato.

I'm sorry, I wouldn't ordinarily derail based on this, but Clamato is poo poo. It's horrible, awful stuff. Not because of the clam, which is admittedly weird, but because the second loving ingredient in it is HFCS. Just use V8 mixed with some clam juice, which is an actually decent product which you should have in your pantry at all times.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/09/use-clam-juice-as-stock-umami-flavor-enhancer.html

Beefeater1980 posted:

Wait a sec, my cocktail has forever and a day been the Negroni, which for the uninitiated is Gin, Campari and sweet vermouth, usually tweaked with bitters.

Is it then an evolution of what Hegel’s dudes were knocking back?

Sort of but not really? I mean, Campari's an herbal liqueur based on steeping a bunch of different poo poo in some alcohol, but I can't imagine it tastes similar to Hegel's dudes' beverage. That stuff was probably closer to chartreuse. But if you like negronis, try a boulevardier which is the same thing except whiskey instead of gin.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
classic boulevardier has a different ratio as well, .75 campari .75 red vermouth 1.5 rye.

and there is a caesar cocktail, it's just a bloody mary with clam broth. canada loves 'em.

and my weird unplanned career has finally come up in this thread, but if you want to hear about cocktail/booze stuff i'm a cocktail bartender.

i could do a big effort post on american tiki culture, ww2 is at least partially responsible for it

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Monocled Falcon posted:

Anyone know of any cocktails named after noted European conquerors?

With Caesar salad, Beef Wellington and Napoleon pastry, I have all the courses I need for a formal dinner. I just need an alcoholic beverage to go with it.

If not, I was thinking something themed around Landsknechts. Do you guys think that something like a white russian but with orange liqueur to represent their usual color scheme would work?

the french 75 isn't named after a specific dude, but you might be able to get away with it and after a few of them nobody's really going to be able to argue with you

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Reiterpallasch posted:

the french 75 isn't named after a specific dude, but you might be able to get away with it and after a few of them nobody's really going to be able to argue with you

it's named after a gun! the famous french 75mm field gun of wwi vintage, or so the story goes.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FishFood posted:

classic boulevardier has a different ratio as well, .75 campari .75 red vermouth 1.5 rye.

and there is a caesar cocktail, it's just a bloody mary with clam broth. canada loves 'em.

and my weird unplanned career has finally come up in this thread, but if you want to hear about cocktail/booze stuff i'm a cocktail bartender.

i could do a big effort post on american tiki culture, ww2 is at least partially responsible for it

That might be enough to justify its own thread, honestly. I heard that before Prohibition cocktails used to be a lot weaker. True/false?

Also for a truly Landschnektian beverage, you need really clashing colors/flavors. Maybe Fernet and Orangina?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

FishFood posted:

it's named after a gun! the famous french 75mm field gun of wwi vintage, or so the story goes.

I'm aware, though the literature is actually kind of muddled. The first "75" anyone's ever been able to find in a bar book is completely wild, based around calvados and absinthe. It becomes bubbly-based by the time it's definitively the "French 75" but there's some confusion over whether brandy or gin is the spirit being used (you'll still get one with cognac if you order it in New Orleans today, I think). The gin-based version shows up in the 1930 cocktail book published by the legendary American Bar at the Savoy London, and it's the one that's spread across the world today.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

That might be enough to justify its own thread, honestly. I heard that before Prohibition cocktails used to be a lot weaker. True/false?

i'd say false: while the spirits available now are pretty different from what was around back then, the proofing of it wasn't. and we have recipes from before prohibition, the savoy cocktail book is a great resource that uses wacky old units of measure but a manhattan made in 1900 will have the same amount of ethanol as one made today.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
A possible contributing factor to that idea: "full" (100) proof spirits were supposed to be the norm back then and extremely aren't today. If you just make a lot of really old recipes without keeping that in mind, I'd imagine you'd get something insipid. For the reaaaallly old measurements, you also need to remember that the imperial volume measurements changed in like the 1700s or something.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
COMBAT DOPE SHEET #12 The Philippines

COMBAT posted:

Ordinarily the subject of the weather is a pretty humdrum affair, but when we saw Little Algae the Pollywog watching that glorious sunset last night with a very gooey, romantic look on his face, we decided right then and there that this Philippine weather was no humdrum affair. Your old friend COMBAT was so touched by the scene that a new dope sheet was hatched: “The Weather”. These waters around the Philippine Islands are a real glamor spot and showplace for Mother Nature. Recently she has been featuring these beautiful days and nights, calm waters, colorful sunsets, and fluffy white clouds – and we don’t like to be the one to break the spell – but any day now you can be prepared to see a nice sizzling typhoon rumbling our way, and then we’ll see something quite different. Before we leave the subject of beautiful, calm days, we want to tell you to be on the lookout for a genuine “mirage” someday – they are a real rarity and only the saltiest ever see one. A mirage is caused by the bending of rays of light as they stream through layers of air that differ in density – for example a layer of warm, rarified air near the ground, common in a desert, causes the sky to be reflected on the ground – and a blue sky looks like a blue pool of water. At sea someday you may see a huge ship high in the sky, upside down. Although it’s entirely possible that it is part of the Jap fleet in an embarrassing position, the chances are you are seeing a mirage – a reflection of some ship over the horizon. Instead of a ship, you might see the buildings of some distant city reflected in the sky in a grotesque, distorted fashion. Don’t strain your eyes for San Francisco, though – mirages don’t stretch that far! Another thing you want to watch for: if you see a light green color on the underside of some far-away cloud, you can bet your mustering-out pay that there is some shallow lagoon (and probably an island) under that cloud reflection its color on the cloud. As long as we got started on clouds, we might as well tell you about the three types: first the CIRRUS clouds: high, thin, whitish, feathery clouds that are often called “mares tails”; second, the STRATUS clouds: low, grayish, formless masses that often form in large rolls; and third, the CUMULUS clouds: heaped up, fluffy thunderheads that form “faces in the clouds”.

See if you can pick ‘em out in the sky. Clouds are composed of small water droplets less that 1/1000 of an inch in diameter. High clouds are composed of ice crystals; that suggest hail to you and that’s just where the stuff comes from. Hailstones are caused by a sudden and strong uprushing of air that causes rapid condensation in the colder clouds – the largest hailstones on record fell in Nebraska in 1928; they were as large as grapefruit and weighed 1-1/2 pounds. To give you an idea of how fast the air was moving upward that day in Nebraska, it is estimated that the air has to be traveling 116 MPH to support a 3 inch hailstone!

Clouds are produced by the cooling of warm air as it rises from the surface of the water and the land – that’s the same phenomena that causes rain. The warm air is pushed up (warm air rises, y’know), and expands and cools and condenses: and just about that time the starboard lookout says he can’t find his rain pants. There are more rainbows at sea than on land, and they are caused by a complex phenomena of refraction and reflection of light passing through raindrops. At sea they appear in spray as well as rain. Often this refraction of light takes place in dense for, and a similar thing happens – only nobody can see a rainbow in a dense fog, so it’s called a fog- bow”. Apparently all the term means is that we could see a rainbow if it wasn’t so damned foggy. A “waterspout” is another type of cloud: a violent whirl of uprushing air that destroys just about everything in its path. It usually touches the sea and moves around like a broom. Its favorite trick is ripping off the masts of ship; some people think firing a gun at it will break it up – but they have probably been misled by the fact that no waterspout has been known to last for more than 15 minutes.

When it rains in the Pacific, it pours. The wettest place in the wor(l)d is the island of Kauai, in the Hawaiins – averaging 450 inches per year. The record for the heaviest continual rain is held right here on home ground: In 1911 in Bagnio, Luzon, 46 inches fell in 24 hours and a total of 86 inches fell in 4 days! We are now entering the period of the “southwest monsoon” in the Philippines, and the western shores are due for a real soaking. In these parts, the barometer is a very important gadget, so you ought to know something about it: a “falling barometer” means we are entering a storm center of low pressure, and the column of mercury in the “U-shaped” tube rises toward the end open to the air, and the mercury drops in the other side of the tube, from which the readings are taken. That very small movement in the barometer is something we want to keep our eyes on these days – as the “southwest monsoon” and “northeast monsoon: and the trade winds ( are called frontal zones) start mixing it up and whirling around at their meeting places, “depressions” are formed at the center of these spots and the whirling winds whip it up and a typhoon is born. The main path of the typhoons is from the Caroline Islands westward to the Philippines, and they occur most frequently from June to November. About 20 typhoons are recorded annually, with one/fifth of them in September. The weather signs of an approaching typhoon are thin, uniform cirrus clouds, “halos” around the sun and moon, slowly dropping barometer, air becoming heavy, hot and moist, with brilliant sunsets – and the actual appearance of the typhoon is a low, black cloud on the horizon. This picture changes to heavy rains, long heavy swells, and increasing winds. In the center of the storm, winds often exceed 200 knots, and are extremely destructive. You remember reading about the three U.S. destroyers that were toppled over in one of these storms in December, after consistently taking rolls from 50 to 80 degrees. Once conditions like these exist, anything can happen: instead of getting fresh air through the ventilators, water comes in a solid stream, and below deck compartments are flooded. The chances are that due to the strong winds, a ship heels over anywhere from 20 to 50 degrees steadily without returning to even keel, and carries that added burden when a wave socks it broadside. The usual experie(n)ce of modern vessels in this type of storm is the complete loss of electric power, due to the destructive force of the water that gets in through the topside openings. The biggest weapon we have against typhoons is the efficient U.S. Navy weather reporting system – the idea being that the best way to pull through a typhoon is not to get in it in the first place. The tiniest tropical storms are anxiously watched, and their courses plotted, to give all ships early information so that plans can be made to avoid the storm. The second best weapon we have is the excellent quality of American shipbuilding, and the third is the quality of the seamanship aboard these vessels.

Usually the typhoons do not develop waves as large as the winter storms in northern oceans – the largest waves have been observed in the higher latitudes. The highest wave recorded accurately was the one that hit the USS RAMAPO in the North Pacific in 1933 ---112 feet! The wind was 78 MPH at the time, and the wave was estimated one mile in length. The area in the world of the most consistently violent winds and great waves are the latitudes of 40, 50, and 60 degrees in the southern hemisphere: the only place in the world where the ocean completely surrounds the world, uninterrupted by land masses. These latitudes are known as the “Roaring Forties”, the “Furious Fifties”, and the “Shrieking Sixties”. At the present time, we are in the wind area known as the “doldrums” (no winds), which roughly corresponds to the equatorial zone, and as we go north or south, we pass into the “trade winds”, the “horse latitudes” (a zone of weak winds so called because the old sailing ships became becalmed in these latitudes and all the horse on board died of thirst and starvation), and finally the zone of “prevailing westerlies”. Speaking of the old sailing ships, the famed “Clipper Ships” that carried the gold-seekers to California in ’49 rounded Cape Horn in South America and under full sail averaged 18 knots in the zone of the prevailing westerlies.

The Philippines are a very hot spot – the average annual temperature is 81 degrees (for comparison, the hottest place in the world is Massawa, on the African side of the Red Sea, where the average annual temperature is 86- 1/2 degrees). April to October is the hottest in the Philippines – May being the peak of the hot season. Here’s one for you: the hottest air temperature ever recorded on a ship underway was 100 degrees, in the Red Sea, and the coldest 40 degrees below, off Alaska. Just to cool you off after all this heat talk, the coldest city in the world is Verkhoyansk, in Siberia, where the record low for January is 94 below zero, and the highest temperature ever recorded in that month is 14 below zero!

The surface temperature of the water around these parts averages about 84 degrees, but the average temperature of the water for all depths right here near the equator if only 39 degrees. There’s plenty of ice cold water down there beneath you. There are practically no icebergs in the Pacific because the Bering peninsula bottles them up in the Arctic Sea. These large land masses in the northern hemisphere, because they heat up more readily than water, cause the heat equator to lie north of the geographical equator, which puts the TINSMAN right in the middle of the hot spot.

One of these dark nights during an electrical storm, you’ll see big balls of fire run up and down the mast, and you’ll see the whole ship glow with an eery light – this ought to make a rushing business at our church services the following Sunday, but just to avoid any violent reactions we want to give you the dope: that’s a perfectly normal phenomena known as “ST. ELMO’S FIRE”, OR “Corposants”. The cause is the difference in potential between the surface of the earth and the atmosphere. If you want to have a hellava good time, take off your shoes and stand on the steel decks and place your wet hand above your head; your hair will stand right up straight and sparks will jump from the tips of your hair to your hand! This stuff is the cause of many “ghost stories” about balls of fire that roll around on church steeples and along telephone wires – it’s nothing to get excited about – just little Elmo having a little fun.

Besides the nasty typhoon, Mother Nature has cursed this area with the earthquake. Sometimes underwater explosions cause great waves of destructive force, and once in a while an earthquake on land has a profound effect on the weather. In the explosion of the island of Krakatoa, Dutch East Indies, in 1883, over half of the island, 1400 feet above the sea, was blown up, leaving a cavity of 1000 feet below the level of the sea. The dust veil caused by this explosion circulated around the world, and the dust particles in the atmosphere absorbed, reflected, and disbursed heat directed from the sun toward the earth and caused cold weather all around the world!

Another terrific explosion in the Dutch East Indies in 1816 blew almost 50 cubic miles of lava, ash, and volcanic dust into the air, and because of the loss of heat around the world, in New England it snowed in June, July, and August – the year has been call the ”year without a summer”.

The amazing force of these explosions brings to mind the fact that Japan has many active volcanoes that can’t quite make up their minds to let go ..... how’s about a little coaxing from a B-29, to see if we can make it snow in New England again this coming summer?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tias posted:

pop quiz: what's your favorite krautbitter, snaps and/or genever

Kümmerling or gtfo

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Now when I drink in excess, I can finally say I'm not indulging in a bad habit, I'm actually doing some very important historical research. Thanks MilHist thread!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
You could go with fermented mare's milk drank by Mongols.

Does Rob Roy count?

Or noted Prussian General Harvey Wallbanger

pthighs fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 31, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If you don't want alcohol there's also the one named after world-renowned artillerist Arnold Palmer.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Tias posted:

pop quiz: what's your favorite krautbitter, snaps and/or genever
Is this what you're referring to as a krautbitter?
If so, I'm gonna do some time travel drinking.
Any other suggestions?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Try Mannerheim's snaps, Marskin ryyppy, developed in Finnish army GHQ to counter the terrible taste of Finnish sulphite vodka

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Try Mannerheim's snaps, Marskin ryyppy, developed in Finnish army GHQ to counter the terrible taste of Finnish sulphite vodka
:finland:

You can make this yourself, by the way. It's a litre of vodka (or akvavit if you're fancy, but this is the milhist thread) with 2 cl vermouth and 1 cl gin, served ice cold.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nenonen posted:

Marskin ryyppy5

I thought you'd fallen asleep on the keyboard or something until I saw the bottle :finland:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Man, the thread title is super appropriate right now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tomn posted:

Man, the thread title is super appropriate right now.

This thread's roster of regulars overlaps heavily with the drinking thread and Christianity thread. Draw your own conclusions.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm reminded of this recent post in chitoryu12's Military Food Thread over in GWP:

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I have acquired the 190-proof Everclear necessary for torpedo juice. Beware.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phanatic posted:

Sort of but not really? I mean, Campari's an herbal liqueur based on steeping a bunch of different poo poo in some alcohol, but I can't imagine it tastes similar to Hegel's dudes' beverage. That stuff was probably closer to chartreuse. But if you like negronis, try a boulevardier which is the same thing except whiskey instead of gin.
campari was invented in 1860, so no

and clam juice is delicious, and the basis of the pasta dish my friends always request that I make.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

I'm reminded of this recent post in chitoryu12's Military Food Thread over in GWP:
god loving bless us, every one

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Beefeater1980 posted:

what Hegel’s dudes were knocking back

Zacharias Nissel, from Bautzen: Cashiered for drinking brandy

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
my granddad got court-martialed for drunkenness in the face of the enemy on dday +3 after stumbling on a cellar full of Calvados.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY GUNS posted:

god loving bless us, every one

I'll post the results in here as well as there. It's 3:1 pineapple juice and grain alcohol and it has to be 180 to 190 proof to be accurate.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Monocled Falcon posted:

Anyone know of any cocktails named after noted European conquerors?

With Caesar salad, Beef Wellington and Napoleon pastry, I have all the courses I need for a formal dinner. I just need an alcoholic beverage to go with it.

Umm who did Wellington conquer :shobon:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

I'll post the results in here as well as there. It's 3:1 pineapple juice and grain alcohol and it has to be 180 to 190 proof to be accurate.
and perfect historical accuracy is very important of course

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I googled clam juice because I figured that surely it had to be some kind of wacky colloquialism or something but nope, it is what it says it is :iit:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
A couple of days ago I had some homemade slivovic, followed by series of pretty explosive shits.

I don't think this is a normal reaction. My sight is ok though.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Fun fact, if you have a daquiri with a navy proof rum you're effectively drinking the same thing the british navy drank as grog. rum, lime, sugar (sailors might not have always had sugar and definitely didn't have ice). Navy-proof is defined as 57.5% abv, and that used to be the benchmark for 100 proof. At some point the scale was changed so that 100 proof equalled 50% abv.

The reason 57.5 was marked as 100 proof is pretty nifty: it's the minimum proofage that you can soak black powder in and still light it. There was a whole big ceremony before giving every man his tot which involved some officers soaking a little powder and lighting it, to prove to the men it wasn't watered down. You'd then put a little water in, lime, sugar if you have it and presto! Grog! In the age of sail this was done every loving day, because a tipsy sailor is a happy sailor.

Drink more rum everyone. Rum is the best.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Grog was daquiris??? I thought life as a sailor was supposed to be hard

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Ainsley McTree posted:

He left out the scurvy and sodomy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Power Khan posted:

He left out the scurvy and sodomy.

Well that's why you put a lime in it.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Happy New Year from Kuala Lumpur, Milhist goons! New year’s challenge: is there anything notable that happened in the Klang Valley / Kuala Lumpur region ever from a military perspective (and no, Merdeka and anything from the Emergency don’t count).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

it was hard, they had no blenders