Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

StandardVC10 posted:

I endorse Cyrano's suggestion for an Attu and Kiska movie, they could call it "What The gently caress Are We Even Doing Here, Seriously"

Coen brothers or bust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Re: WW2 ages

It’s wrong that the majority of American soldiers in WW2 were young. Average age was 26. Age also decreased as the war went on. For the 18 year old look you really need to be looking at replacements getting to the field ca 44-45. Guys like Heller, in other words.

Of course you do have the young guys sneaking in for adventure. One of my grandfathers turned 17 floating off Leyte. The other was a lot more representative. He joined in 1940 at 22 because he needed money and the job market for farm boys sucked.

Edit: that’s the age for combat jobs btw, factoring our mechanics and clerks etc. It’s also untrue in Vietnam. Average age of combat MOS troops there was 22.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Another thing to factor in is cultural assumptions about childhood and how old you need to be to be a true adult. A 20 year old in 1940 is in a very different place as far as the culture is concerned than a 20 year old in 1970. In a lot of ways Heller is more indicative of the view emerging in the 60s than what people’s dominant views were in the 40s. Most of his books were published then or later. Catch 22 was 61 or 62 iirc. Even then it was a monitory view that gained traction across the next decade.

Edit: mainstream traction. Obviously there have always been anti war activists.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

HEY GUNS posted:

yeah they have to fit on the screen (which is also why they're shoulder to shoulder in paintings) and the audience will have much more familiarity with 18th century movie combat than 17th. there's a danger that with 18th century drill in mind authentic 17th century practices will look too spread out and "unserious."

this blogger goes into that sort of thing a bunch, things like costuming a character who's supposed to be innocent and childlike in pale pink which works perfectly for a 21st century audience but in the italian renaissance pale colors meant you couldn't afford darker dyes

http://www.exurbe.com/?p=2176

although she's wrong where she says nobody would watch an absolutely period-correct thing, i'd watch that bitch till my eyeballs bled and you would too

What have you done. Now I have to read everything she wrote.

I had things I was going to do. :(

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Xiahou Dun posted:

yeah, so did i, and then my english fiance turned me on to port

port, my friend

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

HEY GUNS posted:

this blogger goes into that sort of thing a bunch, things like costuming a character who's supposed to be innocent and childlike in pale pink which works perfectly for a 21st century audience but in the italian renaissance pale colors meant you couldn't afford darker dyes

although she's wrong where she says nobody would watch an absolutely period-correct thing, i'd watch that bitch till my eyeballs bled and you would too

Friends, this is a pro-rear end click if only for how quotable it is.

on catching his wife boning another dude posted:

Orsini grabs the iron fire poker and hits his wife over the head, full force, wham, wham, dead. He drops the fire poker on her corpse and walks briskly out of the room, leaving it for the servants to clean up. Yes. That is the right thing, because this is the Renaissance, and these people are terrible.

on how Showtime expects you to be shocked at papal corruption posted:

In fact, Cardinal Shocked-all-the-time, according to the writers you are supposed to be none other than Giuliano della Rovere. Giuliano “Battle-Pope” della Rovere! You have a mistress! And a daughter! And a brothel! And an elephant! And take your elephant to your brothel!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Ask Us About Military History Mk. III: Take your elephant to your brothel

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i am somewhat fond of

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Ask Us About Military History Mk. III: this is the renaissance and these people are terrible

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
^^Also good!

Another, oddly appropriate quote:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Ask Us About Military History Mk. III: Even the monks have goons

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

yeah, so did i, and then my english fiance turned me on to port

port, my friend

Join ussssss :wotwot:

(I also like sherry, personally, especially a nice oloroso. And Manhattans. I have the drinking tastes of an 80 year old maiden aunt)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

Join ussssss :wotwot:

(I also like sherry, personally, especially a nice oloroso. And Manhattans. I have the drinking tastes of an 80 year old maiden aunt)
yo have you ever had a sidecar? it's amaretto and vermouth

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

I have not but I am intrigued. I also plan to make this for New Year's Eve -

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/01/classic-drink-hugo-ensslin-up-to-date-rye-cocktail-recipe-history.html

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
that sounds...delicious.

edit: if you want to drink like my guys drank and want something more than beer or wine, check the dates on those weird bitters liquors and drink them--a lot of those things were invented around this time. Or drink vermouth. Wallenstein produced the vermouth he drank on his own estates, because of course he loving did

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 30, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
did it actually contain wormwood back then?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
And in the military vein:

I know about the Romans supplied posca to their troops, but what about other eras? Were there regular state/lord/etc alcoholic drink supplies like they supplied grain or meat to the soldiers?

Did the Saxon fyrds get ale/beer from their lord when on a campaign? Were liquor rations given out to 30YW brigands troops vs "liberating" it? Was wine considered a strategic good like iron or coal?

Whither booze?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Reiterpallasch posted:

did it actually contain wormwood back then?
hell yes

Neophyte posted:

Were liquor rations given out to 30YW brigands troops vs "liberating" it? Was wine considered a strategic good like iron or coal?

Whither booze?
Yeah, if you're going to issue food and drink to them (this was not universal) you give them a certain amount of wine/beer. Which one you issue depends on where you are.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 30, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the 17th century owns

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

HEY GUNS posted:

yeah they have to fit on the screen (which is also why they're shoulder to shoulder in paintings) and the audience will have much more familiarity with 18th century movie combat than 17th. there's a danger that with 18th century drill in mind authentic 17th century practices will look too spread out and "unserious."

After your eyeballs have bled out, will you still be able to understand it when they're talking in period dialog with accents? Okay, maybe you personally would. God dammit. I walked into that one.

I never really thought people used older actors for movies in order to try to glorify war. That comes out in the larger content itself--or not--depending on the producting. I just don't think most people that are 18-22--including actors 18-22--are going to do a good job of acting the role. I cite Dawson Casting from my other personal favorite time-sucking pit of despair (TV Tropes) to explain that better. The writing--and especially the directing--can do a better job of showing that they were just children. Take the scene at the end of Full Metal Jacket where they're singing the Mickey Mouse Song. And yes, they're all walking too close together blablabla.

Hell, a professional actor would do a better job of depicting me trying to type this post with the cat snoring against left arm than I would do myself. Oh! The cat's dreaming now. :3:

Edit: Okay but with CGI in video games, they have much less of an excuse, but I don't want to touch the poo poo on that.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 30, 2017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So are there any good free wargames then, especially on steam? I did check out the wargame thread but the freebie links I found were dead as hell. Again, the advance wars series is pretty great but I kinda want to try my hand at the minutiae

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
SU-122M

Queue: KV-13 to IS, T-60 factory #37, D.W. and VK 30.01(H), Wespe and other PzII SPGs, Pz38(t) in the USSR, Prospective French tanks, Medium Tank M7, Churchill II-IV, GAZ-71 and GAZ-72, Production and combat of the KV-1S, L-10 and L-30, Strv m/21, Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951, Pz.Sfl.V Sturer Emil, PzII Ausf. G-H, Marder III, Pershing trials in the USSR, Tiger study in the USSR, PIAT, SU-76, Heavy tanks M6, M6A1, and T1E1, SAu 40 and other medium SPGs, IS-2 (Object 234) and other Soviet heavy howitzer tanks, T-70B, SU-152, T-26 improved track projects, Object 238 and other improvements on the KV-1S, Lee and Grant tanks in British service, Matilda, T26E4 Super Pershing, GMC M12, PzII Ausf. J, VK 30.01(P)/Typ 100/Leopard, VK 36.01(H), Luchs, Leopard, and other recon tanks, PzIII Ausf. G trials in the USSR, SU-203, 105 mm howitzer M2A1

Available for request:

:ussr:
IM-1 squeezebore cannon
45 mm M-6 gun
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85 NEW

:britain:
25-pounder
Cruiser Tank Mk.I
Valentine III and V
Valentine IX and X

:911:
37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3
36 inch Little David mortar
Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR
GMC M8

:godwin:
15 cm sIG 33
10.5 cm leFH 18
7.5 cm LG 40
10.5 cm LG 42
Tiger (P)
Stahlhelm in WWI
Stahlhelm in WWII
Pz.Sfl.IVc
PzIII Ausf. E and F
Ferdinand
17 cm K i. Mrs. Laf.

:italy:
Semovente L40 da 47/32

:poland:
47 mm wz.25 infantry gun
7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cythereal posted:

The Battle Off Samar deserves a good movie.

Too unbelievable.

HEY GUNS posted:

That's a really weird sidecar. A sidecar is brandy, triple sec, and lemon juice.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

That's a really weird sidecar. A sidecar is brandy, triple sec, and lemon juice.

Of all the arguing on SA, food argument is by far the best/ most productive

I personally want a movie about the Zeppelinists of WW1 made

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

This website is great and I read that and then I read like five articles on Machiavelli and twenty articles on how to identify saints and, oh wow, it's now 2:00 in the afternoon already where did my entire morning go?

Thank you for introducing me to this blog, it's amazingly cool.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Xiahou Dun posted:

Ada Palmer is the loving best and has also written three sci-fi novels heavily informed by her Renaissance and Enlightenment studies.

I was distant acquaintances with her when she was in Texas. She's pretty cool in person too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Too unbelievable.

wikipedia posted:

Aircraft from the carriers of Taffy 1, 2, and 3, including FM-2 Wildcats, F6F Hellcats and TBM Avengers, strafed, bombed, torpedoed, rocketed, depth-charged, fired at least one .38 caliber handgun and made numerous "dry" runs at the Japanese force when the American planes ultimately ran out of ammunition.[3][4]

I'd watch this movie

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Not gonna lie Heygal's sounds better. I assume sweet vermouth.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GUNS posted:

no way I'm reading all that poo poo, but I agree - I'd be happy as a grog in a bog if there were more segregation between exacting historical realism and entertainment, spergin labels on the movie and all :ohdear:

HEY GUNS posted:

that sounds...delicious.

edit: if you want to drink like my guys drank and want something more than beer or wine, check the dates on those weird bitters liquors and drink them--a lot of those things were invented around this time. Or drink vermouth. Wallenstein produced the vermouth he drank on his own estates, because of course he loving did

pop quiz: what's your favorite krautbitter, snaps and/or genever

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'd watch this movie

Firing pistols out windows is a long and storied tradition that will be kept until the last pistol falls to dust.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

pop quiz: what's your favorite krautbitter, snaps and/or genever
never had snaps but i did go to a reenactment where we worked for dutch people and they gave us each a shot of jenver after the battle :guinness:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phanatic posted:

wait, what?

huh, the internet calls my thing a ferrari, i guess i hosed up the name at some point

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

So are there any good free wargames then, especially on steam? I did check out the wargame thread but the freebie links I found were dead as hell. Again, the advance wars series is pretty great but I kinda want to try my hand at the minutiae

You could check out People's Tactics to see if you like Vic's designs.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GUNS posted:

never had snaps but i did go to a reenactment where we worked for dutch people and they gave us each a shot of jenver after the battle :guinness:

The hell is wrong with you, snaps is the pinnacle of northern european herbal magic and tasty spirits alike.

I swear before the gods and all present itt, that I will make you a good snaps. I'll even pick out extra herbs corresponding to your patron saints if I have to to get it in you.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'm developing a drink to celebrate John C. Reilly and the Brigada San Patricio. Preliminary recipe: 2 part Harp, 1 part Bailey's, 2 parts Clamato.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tias posted:

The hell is wrong with you, snaps is the pinnacle of northern european herbal magic and tasty spirits alike.

I swear before the gods and all present itt, that I will make you a good snaps. I'll even pick out extra herbs corresponding to your patron saints if I have to to get it in you.

I still dream of spending a month or two traveling around Europe and just crashing all the local bars from Scotland to Slovakia.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I'm developing a drink to celebrate John C. Reilly and the Brigada San Patricio. Preliminary recipe: 2 part Harp, 1 part Bailey's, 2 parts Clamato.

?

chitoryu12 posted:

I still dream of spending a month or two traveling around Europe and just crashing all the local bars from Scotland to Slovakia.

My friend did this, but in Eastern Europe from Greece up and his liver stopped working around Serbia

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 31, 2017

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Whoops. I meant this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Riley_(soldier)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

one of these days we need to hang out

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Anyone know of any cocktails named after noted European conquerors?

With Caesar salad, Beef Wellington and Napoleon pastry, I have all the courses I need for a formal dinner. I just need an alcoholic beverage to go with it.

If not, I was thinking something themed around Landsknechts. Do you guys think that something like a white russian but with orange liqueur to represent their usual color scheme would work?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Rethink your dessert.

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_Adolfsbakelse

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Monocled Falcon posted:

With Caesar salad, Beef Wellington and Napoleon pastry, I have all the courses I need for a formal dinner. I just need an alcoholic beverage to go with it.

If not, I was thinking something themed around Landsknechts. Do you guys think that something like a white russian but with orange liqueur to represent their usual color scheme would work?

http://www.bier-universum.de/datenbank/marken_und_biersuche/detail/beerdb/fuerst-wallerstein-landsknecht-bier-11.html

there is also a wallenstein spirits, but i can't find it. it's p good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Monocled Falcon posted:

There’s a Napoleon cocktail. Gin, vermouth, and orange liqueur I think

Edit: also the Caesar salad isn’t named after Julius Caesar.

Bobby Digital fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 31, 2017