Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Tired Moritz posted:

i don't even know why they even have the story banner

People have an itch to spend quartz sometimes even with no rateup

Crasical posted:

No way. No matter how petty the achievement, someone's going to be super pumped to have taken the biggest dump, even if it's an un-prize like 'has died the most times across all games' or 'lowest possible rank'.

I'm super proud of my max ascended, near max-fou'd Sanson, for example.

I mean, Sanson is cool and you're not the only one who pours love into him since I have an acquaintance who's been puttin grails into him because they love the character.

For Caster Gilles, I have a ton of gold casters in JP so... if I ever get him to NP5, eh. Merlin and Tamamo are my prize ponies, not him

Compendium fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Crasical posted:

No way. No matter how petty the achievement, someone's going to be super pumped to have taken the biggest dump, even if it's an un-prize like 'has died the most times across all games' or 'lowest possible rank'.

I'm super proud of my max ascended, near max-fou'd Sanson, for example.

lol if he's not max grailed why are you wasting my time

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
If I ever see a grailed lvl 100, NP5 Caster Gilles in either JP or NA I will screenshot it and give credit where credit is due

Someone's probably done it in JP, I haven't seen it yet

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Did players in japan realize just how utterly broken Merlin was at his initial release and whale like crazy for him or did it take a while for people to notice?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ohtsam posted:

Did players in japan realize just how utterly broken Merlin was at his initial release and whale like crazy for him or did it take a while for people to notice?

He got a bit of a preview as a story support. They actually nerfed him down a little from there.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
His NP used to have a heal

Think about that. This loving meta defining servant's NP on top of having NP gain over turns, a regen, and gains stars all of them for 5 loving turns and this NP is very easy to cycle and stack the skills again, also had a heal.

For 3k

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Captain Baal posted:

Think about that. This loving meta defining servant's NP on top of having NP gain over turns, a regen, and gains stars all of them for 5 loving turns and this NP is very easy to cycle and stack the skills again, also had a heal.

For 3k

Didn't it give even more stars too?

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
[quote="“Captain Baal”" post="“479791048”"]

Think about that. This loving meta defining servant’s NP on top of having NP gain over turns, a regen, and gains stars all of them for 5 loving turns and this NP is very easy to cycle and stack the skills again, also had a heal.

For 3k
[/quote]

After the depressing lineup of failure that was the chapter 6 story supports, where everyone was underleveled and only available for fights they weren’t useful in, i was happy to have a story buddy who gave me 200 fp a pip AND made the entire thing comparatively easy

I don’t think he had his third skill for most of it though, but even without it he would have been shockingly amazing, the fact that it’s the best skill in the game is just candy

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I am really enjoying this team, even though Zhuge only comes from the support list

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 31, 2017

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Billzasilver posted:

I am really enjoying this team, even though Zhuge only comes from the support list

You could probably use Mash or Hans in that slot. Maybe even Shakespeare to make her Rhon even more super huge.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I can understand the other two but why Mash? If it's just feeding Lalter with stars then Okita or Jack would be better if support Waver doesn't have 2030 on.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

More JP story stuff got unlocked

It's pretty loving incredible

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It's good poo poo and I have no idea how things are gonna play out, so that's a good thing

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

As an NA only player, the suspense is killing me.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I don’t understand Mash either. Is that just to tank hits? I was considering sticking George in that role too

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Mash is a defensive tank, yes. She's usable, but won't be super good until later chapters because plot

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Holy poo poo, the prologue.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
JP Spoilers.

Major flashbacks to NERV getting slaughtered by the UN in Evangelion.

Also, I liked that Gordolf turned out to not be a bad guy and we saved him and now he'S the driver. That was cool.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thank god for this beastly level 100 Gil carrying me through expert saber training grounds. I need a whole lot of archer pieces to get Robin/Euryale to higher levels to make this faster but that'll be in another day.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Cosmos in the Lostbelt is gonna be loving wild

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

MonsieurChoc posted:

JP Spoilers.

Major flashbacks to NERV getting slaughtered by the UN in Evangelion.

Also, I liked that Gordolf turned out to not be a bad guy and we saved him and now he'S the driver. That was cool.

Sure we get to save Gordorf. But Olga Marie? Still burning to death over and over forever. Ha ha HA!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So any idea who the new servants are?

We know Anastasia already from the in game text but what about the others?

The only ones I can take a gander at are Sword guy and spear gal. Sword guy is definitely Arabian in influence, so probably someone like Sinbad. Spear gal confuses me because the most likely option already exists in a different form. The moment I saw her, Hyppolita came to mind because she looks like a horse and the etymology behind her name. Her shield and spear also look contemporary to that period (if stylized a little) Plus her sister is already in game and also has white hair

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

We already know Abe no Semei, from Shimosa.

And top hat + knife girl might be Lizzie Borden.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So any idea who the new servants are?

We know Anastasia already from the in game text but what about the others?

The only ones I can take a gander at are Sword guy and spear gal. Sword guy is definitely Arabian in influence, so probably someone like Sinbad. Spear gal confuses me because the most likely option already exists in a different form. The moment I saw her, Hyppolita came to mind because she looks like a horse and the etymology behind her name. Her shield and spear also look contemporary to that period (if stylized a little) Plus her sister is already in game and also has white hair

Sword guy is like 90% someone Chinese based on the design of those swords. I don't actually believe that Caster is Anastasia. She violates the long-standing rule that Heroic Spirits were not created after the 19th Century, and I don't trust Kirei of all people to be freely using his Servant's true name. Lancer is 100% for sure greek based on those weapons, and the horse ears she's got immediately brought to mind Atalanta's lion bits. Look for a greek hero that was turned into an animal.

This notion of the Apocryphal Belt, the fact that it's apparently something outside normal history (and implicitly the normal multiverse as defined by the Kaleidoscope and the Quantum Time Locks) and Servants that come from it being inherently stronger than any normal servants is very odd. They might not play by the rules of the normal Throne of Heroes, in which case Caster might be Anastasia because she's not bound by those rules, or it could still be a smokescreen and she's someone else under a fake name.

gently caress I hope she's not Anastasia, if we have a confirmed 100% 20th Century Servant then the loving floodgates open for World War 1 and 2 wank to ruin the setting. Can I not be free from Hitler in any fiction?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sanguinia posted:

Sword guy is like 90% someone Chinese based on the design of those swords. I don't actually believe that Caster is Anastasia. She violates the long-standing rule that Heroic Spirits were not created after the 19th Century, and I don't trust Kirei of all people to be freely using his Servant's true name. Lancer is 100% for sure greek based on those weapons, and the horse ears she's got immediately brought to mind Atalanta's lion bits. Look for a greek hero that was turned into an animal.

This notion of the Apocryphal Belt, the fact that it's apparently something outside normal history (and implicitly the normal multiverse as defined by the Kaleidoscope and the Quantum Time Locks) and Servants that come from it being inherently stronger than any normal servants is very odd. They might not play by the rules of the normal Throne of Heroes, in which case Caster might be Anastasia because she's not bound by those rules, or it could still be a smokescreen and she's someone else under a fake name.

gently caress I hope she's not Anastasia, if we have a confirmed 100% 20th Century Servant then the loving floodgates open for World War 1 and 2 wank to ruin the setting. Can I not be free from Hitler in any fiction?

On the other hand, we could get the Red Baron and Von Ungern-Stenberg.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

She violates the long-standing rule that Heroic Spirits were not created after the 19th Century
Anastasia lived and died while Tesla and Edison were alive. I guess you could say they were born in the 19th century, but still.

Also I seriously doubt they'd go wholehog on WW1 or WW2 servants for a variety of reasons, up to and including Nasu not seeming to have any real interest in that period of history. I don't think there's going to be a Ruler Hitler servant, you weirdo.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
i don't know what I was expecting from the rest of the part II prologue, but that owned

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Give me ruler Hitler and avenger Stalin :unsmigghh:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Endorph posted:

Anastasia lived and died while Tesla and Edison were alive. I guess you could say they were born in the 19th century, but still.

Also I seriously doubt they'd go wholehog on WW1 or WW2 servants for a variety of reasons.

Not just those two. Every Servant who lived any part of their life in the 20th century was born in the 19th, with the exception of Emiya. Van Braunn and Neil Armstrong were mentioned in Extra, but the Moon Cell runs on different rules than the Throne. If she's really Anastasia, she will be the very first one to break an otherwise ironclad rule.

If you'll indulge a brief rant/whine: Even if official sources never go there (which is far from certain), if there's nothing to stop it the fan communities will never not go there. 20th Century History looms too large in the popular conscious regardless of its true relative importance. The fact that Fate was ostensibly free of it because of one simple rule was nice, that all you had to do to dampen the obnoxious discussion of what Stalin or Reagan or Nixon or (Famous Nazi X) or (other obnoxious overplayed 20th Century Historical Figure) Noble Phantasm would be was say "nope, 20th century." I will continue to hope this will not be undone, that Nasu will be typical Nasu and ensure there is a twist so what we assumed based on being told to our faces about this villain is entirely wrong in the end.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

the fact that Fate was ostensibly free of it because of one simple rule was nice, that all you had to do to dampen the obnoxious discussion of what Stalin or Reagan or Nixon or (Famous Nazi X) or (other obnoxious overplayed 20th Century Historical Figure) Noble Phantasm would be was say "nope, 20th century."
the solution to this is to not go to beast's lair

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Huh.

Looks like kid-vinci, director, spooky-dead-direct and resident doctor are all going to go on a road trip through super mario painting-worlds and start be ramping over anastasia and her owls

sometimes this game reads like some kid came out of history class and binged wikipedia and was all like "and then jehanne suplexed a dinosaur and then" and it owns

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Wait, where is Chaldea located? For the longest time I thought I knew for sure that it was in the Himalayas mountain range, but the new OP makes it look like it's in the Arctic.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Some pics on the New Year's stream showed dates associated with the upcoming chapters. I googled some historical events I think are almost certainly relevant based on those years.

1) 1570 AD - The reign of Ivan the Terrible and the Russo-Turkish War
2) 1000 BC - The end of the Viking Age and the start of the Christianization of the Norse
3) 210 BC - The death of the first Emperor of China, and conflict over who would take the throne (alternatively: the military campaigns of Hannibal Barca)
4) ??11900 - :iiam:
5) 12000 BC - ????? (Prehistoric civilization cryptohistory is a possibility, such at Atlantis)
6) 500 AD - The supposed reign of King Arthur

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
12000 BC is significant to Fate because that's the year Velbar descended and got defeated by Altria's glowstick

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

What I am getting out of this stream is that TM got so much money off fgo they can fund whatever loving animation they want

I'm incredibly okay with this comfy slice of life fate

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sanguinia posted:

Some pics on the New Year's stream showed dates associated with the upcoming chapters. I googled some historical events I think are almost certainly relevant based on those years.

1) 1570 AD - The reign of Ivan the Terrible and the Russo-Turkish War
2) 1000 BC - The end of the Viking Age and the start of the Christianization of the Norse
3) 210 BC - The death of the first Emperor of China, and conflict over who would take the throne (alternatively: the military campaigns of Hannibal Barca)
4) ??11900 - :iiam:
5) 12000 BC - ????? (Prehistoric civilization cryptohistory is a possibility, such at Atlantis)
6) 500 AD - The supposed reign of King Arthur

I'm guessing 4 is going to be the future

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

boredsatellite posted:

What I am getting out of this stream is that TM got so much money off fgo they can fund whatever loving animation they want

I'm incredibly okay with this comfy slice of life fate

I mean

that's what happened to the granblue devs

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

This is going full cooking show holy poo poo

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

I'm guessing 4 is going to be [spoiler]the future

It's possible it could be both. The location of lost belt 4 is "the constructed world continually destroyed and reborn", roughly translated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What all was on the New year stream I only caught the last bit