Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BrandorKP posted:

I wouldn't say it is most of the world fishmech. Most of the western world sure.

I'm sorry what fancy dishes were the peasants of the Roman empire getting? Slaves of all sorts? Industrial Revolution England factory workers? The tribes of Australia in the resource poor areas?

Tons of people got along fine on bland food that would nevertheless be seen as rare foreign dishes not so far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

boner confessor posted:

they take that poo poo real seriously, it's Lawsuit Town. which is why it's so incredibly annoying for foodservice workers when someone says "I'm allergic to..." when what they really mean is "I don't like..." because having an allergen on a ticket includes extra work to have fresh pans etc. which is infuriating when someone says they're allergic to tomatoes, please leave tomatoes off the burger, then they put ketchup on the loving thing. or how a kajillion people somehow became allergic to gluten in 2007 and suddenly they're all concerned about the carb-soaked pasta being gluten free. if you can't eat gluten, dont come to a loving pasta joint aagh people
lol since we're coming fresh off a Papa John's discussion:

... in other words, it's probably made on the same flour-caked table as every other pizza.

They've really done a great job of threading the needle of hopping on one of the dumbest food fads ever while also avoiding even the rare incidental benefit.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 31, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah but you know China, Africa, the Middle East, and India.

You're not wrong about the places you mention but " most of the world" ehhhhh.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

they take that poo poo real seriously, it's Lawsuit Town. which is why it's so incredibly annoying for foodservice workers when someone says "I'm allergic to..." when what they really mean is "I don't like..." because having an allergen on a ticket includes extra work to have fresh pans etc. which is infuriating when someone says they're allergic to tomatoes, please leave tomatoes off the burger, then they put ketchup on the loving thing. or how a kajillion people somehow became allergic to gluten in 2007 and suddenly they're all concerned about the carb-soaked pasta being gluten free. if you can't eat gluten, dont come to a loving pasta joint aagh people

On time I was at a korean restaurant and the waiter said to my date "if we give you the wrong kind of soy sauce are you annoyed or are we calling you an ambulance?"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OneEightHundred posted:

... in other words, it's probably made on the same flour-caked table as every other pizza.

you're (the rhetorical you, not you specifically goon OneEightHundred) are an idiot if you order gluten free pizza from a chain, because A, pizza is nothing but loving gluten, and B, yeah it's all prepared in the same line

for a more tradition saute-pan experience in cooking, it's not as hard to get gluten-free or allergen-free utensils and pans used, but it is extra work for the cooks, and it is a pain in their rear end to take the extra time to make something truly allergen-free when the customer is not actually allergic but instead thinks they've discovered some crazy loophole to get around lazy rear end foodservice workers who ALWAYS gently caress up the order etc.

e: i used to work at a pasta restaurant, where they kept a box of animal shaped gluten free pasta. if you wanted gluten free pasta, you got the child shapes. because if you really did have celiac disease, you would absolutely know better than to go to a place which sells pasta, which is nothing but wheat gluten, and ask for gluten-free pasta. it's like going to a place that specializes in charcuterie, and asking for the vegan charcuterie. gently caress off

withak posted:

On time I was at a korean restaurant and the waiter said to my date "if we give you the wrong kind of soy sauce are you annoyed or are we calling you an ambulance?"

yeah because a shitload of people claim allergies when they aren't. it sucks for people who actually have food allergies because there are plenty of folks out there spoiling it for others

reminds me of folks who complain about how some restaurant or another always fucks up their order. because i'm like, i see a few possibilities here:

-your order is impossibly complicated and nobody likes you
-you complain that your order is wrong, to scam free food
-if the people who work here are legit so incompetent, why the hell do you keep coming back
-you have early onset dementia and cannot remember what you ordered (this happens all the time, turns out)

what that server was asking is, are you really really allergic, because we will take care of you, but if you're just saying you're allergic to leverage some kind of power over the kitchen, knock it off

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 31, 2017

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

boner confessor posted:

you're (the rhetorical you, not you specifically goon OneEightHundred) are an idiot if you order gluten free pizza from a chain, because A, pizza is nothing but loving gluten, and B, yeah it's all prepared in the same line

for a more tradition saute-pan experience in cooking, it's not as hard to get gluten-free or allergen-free utensils and pans used, but it is extra work for the cooks, and it is a pain in their rear end to take the extra time to make something truly allergen-free when the customer is not actually allergic but instead thinks they've discovered some crazy loophole to get around lazy rear end foodservice workers who ALWAYS gently caress up the order etc.

e: i used to work at a pasta restaurant, where they kept a box of animal shaped gluten free pasta. if you wanted gluten free pasta, you got the child shapes. because if you really did have celiac disease, you would absolutely know better than to go to a place which sells pasta, which is nothing but wheat gluten, and ask for gluten-free pasta. it's like going to a place that specializes in charcuterie, and asking for the vegan charcuterie. gently caress off

yeah because a shitload of people claim allergies when they aren't. it sucks for people who actually have food allergies because there are plenty of folks out there spoiling it for others

reminds me of folks who complain about how some restaurant or another always fucks up their order. because i'm like, i see a few possibilities here:

-your order is impossibly complicated and nobody likes you
-you complain that your order is wrong, to scam free food
-if the people who work here are legit so incompetent, why the hell do you keep coming back
-you have early onset dementia and cannot remember what you ordered (this happens all the time, turns out)

what that server was asking is, are you really really allergic, because we will take care of you, but if you're just saying you're allergic to leverage some kind of power over the kitchen, knock it off

Don’t forget that shithead “health” bloggers like Foodbabe actually advises her readers to claim gluten allergies where none exist. She also mistook the emergency oxygen supplies that pilots have available for emergencies as “pilots receiving higher quality air than passengers”, so she’s full of dumb poo poo to say.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

boner confessor posted:

Eh, a lot of places will gently caress up orders pretty regularly if it's a repetitive chain-type place that keeps making the same thing over and over and you throw them a curveball.

There are some other interesting ones, like Pizza Hut will gently caress my order up 80% of the time if I order online instead of calling them on the phone and give them specific instructions because their "default" for hand-tossed is to add the butter-garlic poo poo. The problem is butter-garlic shows up as a line on the ticket, "no crust flavor" doesn't, so the employees get confused and put the butter-garlic on it anyway.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OneEightHundred posted:

Eh, a lot of places will gently caress up orders pretty regularly if it's a repetitive chain-type place that keeps making the same thing over and over and you throw them a curveball.

There are some other interesting ones, like Pizza Hut will gently caress my order up 80% of the time if I order online instead of calling them on the phone and give them specific instructions because their "default" for hand-tossed is to add the butter-garlic poo poo. The problem is butter-garlic shows up as a line on the ticket, "no crust flavor" doesn't, so the employees get confused and put the butter-garlic on it anyway.

my perspective is, the people who spend a shift reading tickets and executing the instructions are far less likely to be the cause of the fuckup than someone who might dictate an order once every other week or so and who may or may not have difficulty parsing the menu

also there are varying levels of pickiness. like if i order a pizza and it does or does not have green peppers, i dont care really, but some folks get incredibly heated if the napkins aren't at a 90* orientation to the table because i left SPECIFIC instructions (this actually happened to me irl once and made our hostess cry in the walkin)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OneEightHundred posted:

Food service employees are generally probably not paid enough to care. I can't really blame them for not caring; food service can really suck and the pay is dreadful. They're also probably understaffed because proper staffing makes the profit margin smaller and why bother hiring ten people when you can force seven to do the job in full panic mode all day every day?

That being said there was a Wendy's I just plain quit going to in college because apparently "no tomatoes, no mayonnaise" was too complicated. I can just pull the tomatoes off but you can't do that with mayonnaise and I hate mayo. They had like a 50% success rate of getting that order right. Now I live near one that has yet to gently caress it up.

Really a lot of it is just more typical American cost-cutting; if you pay absolute beans then good employees probably won't stick around long. You'll also get a lot of shithead teenagers just working for cigarette, car, and/or beer money who aren't quite properly equipped in the brain to handle the consequences of their actions. When most of the people saying "I have a food allergy" actually don't it makes it extra lovely because then they're assuming everybody that says that is lying.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Like 1/4 of the time when i ask for a burger without cheese or mayo it still has at least one of them. Restaurant workers arent paid enough to attract intelligent people :/

Efb

I also stopped going to wendys when they were 0/2 one year. Havent eaten at one in years

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
all restaurant employees are on drugs also iirc

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

got any sevens posted:

Like 1/4 of the time when i ask for a burger without cheese or mayo it still has at least one of them. Restaurant workers arent paid enough to care.

Is that why you like the tip system?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Grognan posted:

Is that why you like the tip system?

Tipping is stupid and a bandaid on crapitalism. I'm an accelerationist

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

crazy cloud posted:

all restaurant employees are on drugs also iirc

Especially the chefs.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Haifisch posted:

Mostly because of this. And they raise children who are never exposed to things outside of "chunk of meat, starch, & vegetable, all with minimal seasoning", so the cycle continues.

Most kids I know are addicted to chicken nuggets.

Seriously what the gently caress is with chicken nuggets? They're like meth to kids. Once they get a hit of that that's all they ever want from then on and you have to fight them to eat anything else.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Kid’s tastebuds are more sensitive than adults and they have a preference for sugar, salt, and a bland consistent texture so...

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Fried chicken breading is basically grease and carbs with very high surface area.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
To be fair the kiddies are not wrong, evolution says “fatten up your young for the winter”, problem is that in this modern world it’s up to the parents to say no and not buy the drat stuff for them.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It should be proof of our sadness as a nation that people travel to one of our greatest metropolises, but then get too scared to eat anything except overpriced American chain comfort food. All of Times Square is this crap. The Applebee's & TGI Friday's are also insanely priced. Pretty much any restaurant there has to account for the crazy overhead, and it comes out in the food pricing.

Why would you travel so far and pay so much to EAT THIS poo poo.

If you want to be very generous about it, sometimes you're on vacation and everyone is tired and grumpy, and no one wants to look for a place or have to wait, and an IHOP just happens to next to whatever must-see attraction your vacation spot has. It's not just that people are scared to get out of their comfort zones, though those people certainly do exist; the big chains in Times Square and the like are capitalizing on a lot of stressed out people settling for what's right there and familiar.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Justin Godscock posted:

Hey, raising a kid is a literal full-time job so maybe there isn't enough time in the evening to prepare an exquisite meal hence the fish sticks and fries with milk.

Eh, it's nitpicky, but it really depends on the place. For example we live in a nation with worker's rights, decent pay and benefits, waited til we were financially secure, had only one child, and both share the chores equally, so we actually have time consuming meals nearly every night of the week. Food is one of my few self-care outlets, I enjoy the process, and have a partner and lifestyle that enables it.

Then I look at my female friends stateside doing nearly all of the unpaid home labor, raising 2-5 children, and yeah, fish sticks and Kraft Mac&Cheese it is, again!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Reveilled posted:

I have a cousin who owns a pizzeria/chip shop. He once told me that every day he gives thanks that Pizza Hut and Domino's managed to convince people that a large pizza should cost £15.
Meanwhile, a pizza place opened up right across the road from my local Domino's which does traditional sourdough wood-fired pizzas for £7, and honestly I don't think I'll ever get a Pizza Hut or Domino's at my house ever again, the difference in quality is staggering and it's practically half the price.

I often react that to american (and I guess I can add the UK too now) pizza prices, a big pizza here is below 10 euros in most places I go to, haven't been to any of the chains in many years.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I got 4 teenage children and a husband who’s sensible enough to live in a different house (pig farmer) and trust me when I tell you it’s actually cheaper, and easier to stick a roast joint or chicken in a lidded enamel roasting tin than it is to do a whole tray of stuff that you have to turn over. Those big George Forman grills are great as you can put your chops or chicken in and leave them. Takes 10 mins to get a big pizza base and cover it with your own fresh toppings as well. 3 seconds to open a bag of salad.

Processed food is lazy bullshit that actually takes the same time to cook as real food, but advertising has made people think the opposite.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

crazy cloud posted:

all employees are on drugs also iirc

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Pasta retard complaining that his restaurant that specializes in all types of pasta and advertises gluten free is mad that people come in for gluten free pasta

Don't loving advertise it and sell it you loving moron. You're the dumbest piece of poo poo imaginable.

"We're pasta experts! And have gluten free! Wait why are you coming in for gluten free pasta?"

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 31, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Food service employees are generally probably not paid enough to care.

low pay is one thing, but it's kind of insulting to say that people aren't paid enough to care about other people's health and safety

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Pasta retard complaining that his restaurant that specializes in all types of pasta and advertises gluten free is mad that people come in for gluten free pasta

Don't loving advertise it and sell it you loving moron. You're the dumbest piece of poo poo imaginable.

"We're pasta experts! And have gluten free! Wait why are you coming in for gluten free pasta?"

we didn't advertise it, we just had it on had because inevitably some dipshit would ask for it

lmao you are way too angry about this, and i'm glad of it. also this is a pretty odd reason to call someone a retard, don't use that slur please unless you are using it in your online dating profile

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 31, 2017

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Going to other countries then eating their crappy chain restaurants is really fun. (eating at mcdonalds in other countries is also very fun if you do it exactly one time then spend the rest of your meals eating real food. The mcdonalds take on a bunch of cultures is really wild)

Last page but yeah, I'm the kind of idiot who would travel across the world and make a point to try some cheapo fast food chain at least once. I do like new and good food, but I also want to try the stuff people don't even think about when they eat-- the convenience store snack you grab for a busy commute, a regional burger special, some interesting drink or candy flavor they just don't have where I'm from. Normal junk food poo poo, in addition to the "favorite local restaurant tourists don't know about (except now they obviously do judging by the line)" poo poo you're supposed to do.

Of course it's a moot point because I'm never going to have enough money to travel the world lol, but that's my take. Someone else's mundane can be fun too.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

boner confessor posted:

low pay is one thing, but it's kind of insulting to say that people aren't paid enough to care about other people's health and safety

we didn't advertise it, we just had it on had because inevitably some dipshit would ask for it

lmao you are way too angry about this, and i'm glad of it. also this is a pretty odd reason to call someone a retard, don't use that slur please unless you are using it in your online dating profile

You're right, I should not have insulted people with a disorder and compared them to someone who is willfully ignorant and without any reasonable amount of empathy.

You're a dumb, dumb man. I dunno why mocking people with an autoimmune disease is the hill you've chosen to die on but congratulations

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

You're right, I should not have insulted people with a disorder and compared them to someone who is willfully ignorant and without any reasonable amount of empathy.

You're a dumb, dumb man. I dunno why mocking people with an autoimmune disease is the hill you've chosen to die on but congratulations

not only is your assumption that i dislike people with celiac incorrect (i very clearly said i dislike people who fake allergies, there are many more people who claim to have celiac than actually have it) but also that this restaurant advertised gluten free pasta, which it did not, as that is silly, or that i as a drone would have any control over the advertising used or the food product being served. people who really do have a gluten allergy, generally, do not order dishes traditionally containing nothing but wheat and gluten heavy products. they order salads and grilled meat

you made a lot of very bad assumptions so you could be angry at me on the internet about something i did not say. i'm guessing there are parts of your body which are more sensitive than your bowels. happy new year!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm gonna try a different tack on this one

Imagine you have celiac and a host of allergies. Your girlfriend/husband/coworkers whatever wants to go out to dinner. They look up the place that has gluten free pasta on their menu.

"Look boyfriend/co-worker/employee this pasta place has gluten free pasta so you can definitely go there!"

So you go because you haven't been out to a restaurant in like a month because it's such a pain in the rear end usually to go anywhere and you have to most of your food at home anyway.

You ask the waiter who says "yep we have gluten free pasta!" So you order it.

Then some dude dumps overboiled bunny pasta on your plate.

1) that sucks a lot for you, especially since you paid a chunk of money for that and now you look like a fool

2) you along with your co-workers, loved ones etc. are never going back to that restaurant and leaving lovely reviews online.

When you do spiteful things like that you've lost more business than you think, because people with food issues will religiously go to the same places they can be safe and the "pickiest" eater in the group determines where everyone goes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
im sorry that you owned yourself in your imagination but try as you might it has nothing to do with the reality i am describing, namaste

VVV yeah i'm not the one making up stories itt, maybe simmer down a little guy. nobody cares if you dont like me

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 31, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Made up a story to look cool, got called on it, ran away leaving insults: another boner confessor classic.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think restaurants should make things the way that people order them, and if they can't or don't want to accommodate a certain request, then they should explain that they can't/don't want to do it, and ask the customer to select something else.

Apparently this is now a fringe opinion? What the gently caress is going on?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

fishmech posted:

I'm sorry what fancy dishes were the peasants of the Roman empire getting? Slaves of all sorts? Industrial Revolution England factory workers? The tribes of Australia in the resource poor areas?

Tons of people got along fine on bland food that would nevertheless be seen as rare foreign dishes not so far away.

Eight hundred years ago, a young adult of the Arapahoe tribe complains to his friend that the Arapahoe have no culture during a sun dance.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

I think restaurants should make things the way that people order them, and if they can't or don't want to accommodate a certain request, then they should explain that they can't/don't want to do it, and ask the customer to select something else.

Apparently this is now a fringe opinion? What the gently caress is going on?

gluten free pasta isn't really a thing, i mean, there are nowadays substitutes due to high demand (mostly people faddishly claiming they have a gluten allergy because it's a way to cut carbs, which is disrespectful for folks with real allergies) but pasta dishes are traditionally one of the most gluten laden meals you can get so the simpler thing is, you know, order the fish, non-breaded, in a clean pan

restaurants typically take allergies very seriously, because it can injure or kill someone and is lawsuit bait, which is why it's so annoying when someone falsely claims an allergy, such as saying "no tomatoes on my burger, i'm allergic to them" and then putting ketchup on the burger - something i've seen multiple times. this other goon is interpreting me describing this annoyance as an insult against people with food allergies, for some reason

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Here's a question: why does it loving matter if someone lies about an allergy or not? So they want their meal a certain way, and they want the restaurant to be really careful about it so it doesn't get hosed up. It's not something I would do personally, but it's not worth getting pissed off about it either.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
No one really minds that there are gluten-free options or vegan substitutes at places where they work and preparing them. It's just a vent about people that come to a pasta restaurant, a monument to gluten, and want gluten-free pasta instead of something that would be naturaly gluten-free.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I'm severely allergic to banana. I will instantly fall into anaphylactic shock and die in horrible pain and agony if I so much as smell a banana. Also I'm eating at Bananatown tonight because they have one item on the menu that doesn't explicitly contain banana.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Parasol Prophet posted:

Last page but yeah, I'm the kind of idiot who would travel across the world and make a point to try some cheapo fast food chain at least once. I do like new and good food, but I also want to try the stuff people don't even think about when they eat-- the convenience store snack you grab for a busy commute, a regional burger special, some interesting drink or candy flavor they just don't have where I'm from. Normal junk food poo poo, in addition to the "favorite local restaurant tourists don't know about (except now they obviously do judging by the line)" poo poo you're supposed to do.

Of course it's a moot point because I'm never going to have enough money to travel the world lol, but that's my take. Someone else's mundane can be fun too.

Yeah, it's fun to try things across the whole range. It's super cool to go to peru and eat anticucho (seasoned beef heart) and drink super traditional chicha from a street stand but it's also fun to go to bembos and try the peruvian version of a fast food chain with a coke brand inca cola or to go to india and eat street food and get panipuri that is maybe made of unsafe water but tastes amazing, or sit down at a traditional restaurant, but also go to burger king and get a mutton burger, or go to japan and try mos burger (it's very bad) along with going to a traditional ramen stand or going to a conveyor belt restaurant.

There is a lot of different food that is good or fun and it's stupid to limit yourself any one way to only going for one type. You should go to china and eat glutinous rice dumplings and also stop at mcdonalds and get a taro root pie. No one has to pick a side and no one should. If you go to egypt you absolutely should eat a bunch of kofta and koshari for a bunch of meals but you also should go to the KFC in front of the sphinx and eat a horrible friggin bowl of chicken nuggets, rice and bbq sauce.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

PT6A posted:

Here's a question: why does it loving matter if someone lies about an allergy or not? So they want their meal a certain way, and they want the restaurant to be really careful about it so it doesn't get hosed up. It's not something I would do personally, but it's not worth getting pissed off about it either.

From what I've seen from other kitchen worker goons in the past, they drat near have to sterilise the kitchen when someone says they have an allergy. It's fine if they do have one, of course, but if they don't it's like dialling 999 when it's not an emergency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PT6A posted:

From the restaurant's POV:
Restaurants have to do a lot of stuff they do for an allergy that they don't have to do for a simple "I don't like this, leave it out of my meal". Cross-contamination is more complicated than having the ingredient in your food - for some people, just using the same knife that was used to cut a thing they're allergic to can have serious consequences.

From a broader POV:
People lying about allergies can lead to employees getting lazy about proper food prep for real allergies, because they rationalize "they're just lying about it because they don't like what they're 'allergic' to, and I don't want to do all this extra bullshit they won't notice". Even if the restaurant is well-run by management that takes all allergies(real or probably-fake) seriously, it introduces a risk that wasn't there before.

If you don't want your meal to have something in it because of personal preference, just say so. 99% of the time, it'll be fine. The other 1% isn't worth lying about.