Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

OAquinas posted:

Now is the best time. Script extender was just released, so SKYUI is out, the various user patches are out, Bash is working, Mod Organizer works...not everything has been ported, but most of the good stuff. And if it doesn't use scripting it'll probably work anyway.

SE is hella stable too.

Cool. Now I just need to figure out what mods I want and how to install them without breaking the game.

I'm disappointed that steam workshop doesn't install mods properly. By far my biggest problem with modding is how much of a pain it is to set things up properly and that removing them can be an arduous task. When they added one-click install mods to the workshop I was thrilled, but of course the auto-install doesn't handle things properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
You don't need the Workshop! Or at the very least there are workarounds! The Workshop loving sucks, don't use it!!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

lurksion posted:

Man this was stupidly hard to find, because it's actually from half a year ago.
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/6ors8c/moddrop_whats_this_about/
Shitload of back and forth, but afaik the conclusion I draw is that MD in the distant past (2011/2012) really did do shady poo poo, but the current iteration tries to be non-shady, excepting that actually contacting them is apparently a pain. And given the past history with Bethesda modders, none of them trust MD.

So when the current kurfluffle of a (bunch of?) popular Youtubers uploading a ton of poo poo to MD, the original modders get really ticked off and went on the warpath. :shrug:

The thing I got from that is that the shady stuff was really just them being amateurs at the time. They acknowledged they hosed up with the caveat that their original intentions were good. According to the Torchlight fan site guy they spent like 5 years on this particular service to not making the same mistakes that hosed things up for them in the past. Also apparently some people decided to troll the hell out of them (and it does appear that was the case from what little I could dig up) in lieu of giving them a fair shake at the time. Though maybe i'm misremembering part of the article.

Also I can't really blame the guys for being hard to get in contact with at the moment. From what I saw their every public contact method was getting bombed with hate due to people making wild and unsourced claims like it was secretly malware, it spied on your computer, they required money to use the service, etc, etc to get it pre-emptively blacklisted from anyone's list of tools.

Regardless, some of the stuff going on with the Nexus and it's owner really makes the Nexus' business practices look shady even if Mod Drop does turn out to be some sort of scam.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 28, 2017

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
This thread is in my post feed and I see always new posts in it so I decided to read the past few pages. Do people actually still play Skyrim? It all seems to be about modding Skyrim and the drama of Skyrim modding and the game is what, 7 years old now? What the hell are people doing for seven years in that game? I went to look at the most popular section on nexus and it's all waifus, all the way down, lol.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Police Automaton posted:

This thread is in my post feed and I see always new posts in it so I decided to read the past few pages. Do people actually still play Skyrim? It all seems to be about modding Skyrim and the drama of Skyrim modding and the game is what, 7 years old now? What the hell are people doing for seven years in that game? I went to look at the most popular section on nexus and it's all waifus, all the way down, lol.

You should use filters for it. The truth is that after 7 years few aspiring mod authors keep making good content, which means that low effort followers (or waifus...) dominate the trending pages as there are still people who really want that. All of that said SkyOblivion is coming along really nicely and Beyond Skyrim: Bruma is already out with new releases probably arriving early next year. That along with SE being viable very soon makes it very exciting atm.

Midig fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 28, 2017

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

This post reminded me that in ancient times I made a blog to document modding drama. Can I post this poo poo there, or do you want to write up something for it? Hasn't been used in forever but the whole idea is to be a reference point for discussions that are hard to have elsewhere.

ETA: This goes for a lot of your other posts itt about this.

Feel free to include any of my posts. I am a cathedralist when it comes to modding and mod drama.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Police Automaton posted:

No one has actually played Skyrim for years.

Modding Skyrim, however, hell yeah we do!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GunnerJ posted:

You don't need the Workshop! Or at the very least there are workarounds! The Workshop loving sucks, don't use it!!

You don't need it but its braindead easy to use which is important for me, an idiot that gets confused by everything computer related. I'm not gonna use it if it literally installs mods wrong but it sure would of been nice if it worked. One-button install/uninstall would make modding so much easier.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Internet Kraken posted:

You don't need it but its braindead easy to use which is important for me, an idiot that gets confused by everything computer related. I'm not gonna use it if it literally installs mods wrong but it sure would of been nice if it worked. One-button install/uninstall would make modding so much easier.

SE or Oldrim?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I finally got a higher end video card and I figured I'd try some of the graphics mods that I never bothered with before because I knew they wouldn't run on my old card.

Are ENB mods still the way to go for making skyrim look purdy?
What's the state of SE modding these days? Last I remember when Special Edition first came out, the Skyrim Script Extender that a bunch of mods depend on hadn't been properly ported and you had to do poo poo like manually load an old version of SKSE or something to get SkyUI to run on SE.
It it yet at the point where SE is worth if it if you're modding heavily?
Do ENBs even work with SE? I've never actually used them before.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hey, Gunner, I think we need to update the OP because we're getting ^^that^^ post like every half-page now. :randstare:

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Entropic posted:

I finally got a higher end video card and I figured I'd try some of the graphics mods that I never bothered with before because I knew they wouldn't run on my old card.

Are ENB mods still the way to go for making skyrim look purdy?
What's the state of SE modding these days? Last I remember when Special Edition first came out, the Skyrim Script Extender that a bunch of mods depend on hadn't been properly ported and you had to do poo poo like manually load an old version of SKSE or something to get SkyUI to run on SE.
It it yet at the point where SE is worth if it if you're modding heavily?
Do ENBs even work with SE? I've never actually used them before.

On /r/skyrimmods your post gets deleted if you ask "Se or Oldrim?", "Is SKSE done?" or if it is obvious that you have done no research or read any recent posts.

To answer it quickly.

Yes. Good. Kinda. Yes.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Here we just mock you with Randaconda-themed smileys: :randno:

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Has anyone found a solution for survival mode warmth ratings on armor not being displayed with SKYUI? I googled a bit and found an older link to a mod that supposedly fixed it but it has since been removed from the nexus.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agents are GO! posted:

Here we just mock you with Randaconda-themed smileys: :randno:

:randpop:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I am undone. :randstare:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is there a console command or any other way to check your character's skill XP?

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Skyrim will never be a seven year old game because it gets re-released every year. It is eternal and we are in hell. I pass the time with waifus.

pyro_archvile
Oct 2, 2011

Not actually an Arch-Vile
What would be a good mod setup for SE?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

pyro_archvile posted:

I hear the cat tit and lizard schlong mods are quite popular

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I don't like the cat tit NOR the lizard schlong :bahgawd:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Good news, there are also lizard tit and cat schlong mods!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Spiny Khajiit dicks for everyone!

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

pyro_archvile posted:

Uh well I think just about everyone can agree that the unofficial patch and skyui are good but beyond that you're probably wandering down a modders preference labyrinth.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CFox posted:

Uh well I think just about everyone can agree that the unofficial patch and skyui are good but beyond that you're probably wandering down a modders preference labyrinth.

frostfall is really good, open cities is good, morrowloot is good.

when I got sse I just went into the in game browser and picked all the most downloaded mods, worked pretty well for 100 hours of thuuming, no crashes or conflicts. it's objectively better to do it with a mod manager though.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Horse Whistle is a must.

"Run for your Lives"/"When Vampires Attack" are also good for keeping the NPC population, uh, populated.
"Unread Books Glow" is handy if you read the lit and/or want skill books indicated.
"Quality World Map" is nice.

Beyond that, any of the environment texture packs if you want to prettify things a bit. Apocalypse Magic is a nice bump to magic without going full overhaul of the system. "Magical College of Winterhold" tweaks the college to be less "castle with blue spotlights" and more "Skyrim Hogwarts"

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

pyro_archvile posted:

Legacy of the Dragonborn SSE is pretty great. Even if you ignore the quest line content in it, it's got a huge set of new (relatively subtle) equipment, better textures for things, self-contained dungeons and encounters, etc, already pre-edited for compatibility with a bunch of other mods (including Falskaar, Morrowloot, etc).

Roadie fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 29, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

OAquinas posted:

"Run for your Lives"/"When Vampires Attack" are also good for keeping the NPC population, uh, populated.

It's just RFYL now; WVA has been merged in.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Is Legacy still a performance killer or did that get fixed in the SE?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Just because I feel like being contrary right now...

Frostfall - survival simulators are terrible
Open Cities - compatibility nightmare
Morrowloot - I actually like this one but it's definitely not for everyone
Run For Your Lives - great, pretend this one was in my original list
Unread Books Glow - handy as long as you're not one of those immersion weirdos
Quality World Map - not much downside on this one but also not really needed either
Apocalypse Magic - fun but the spells can be game-breakingly good (looking at your ocitals recital)
Magical College of Winterhold - never heard of this one before but looks pretty unnecessary
Legacy of the Dragonborn - huge bloated mess

But seriously though with mods you can make the game whatever you want it to be. The list in the OP still isn't bad last I checked and most of those have already been ported to SE.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Pretty much all mods in guide STEP are good and lore friendly. Although I would switch out Skyrim Flora Overhaul with Veydosebrom and enhanced vanilla trees for performance. Shame that open cities is bad for Oldrim. Makes me really want to go over to SSE.

Midig fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 29, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Cat Mattress posted:

It's just RFYL now; WVA has been merged in.

Wow, that just happened with the latest version too. Nice.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Been enjoying Morrowloot. In the quest to kill Movarth (Vampire guy near Morthal) he had a Daedric sword and that was me at level 11. I had to endure 10 levels of having the woodmill guy following me, bumping into me constantly before I could finally kill him, and as I've banned myself from bows, it was... difficult.

But, now I have a Daedric Sword.

Also, what good house mods are there that are... how should I put this...? Low key? All of the houses I've tried or just simply looked at pictures of on the Nexus are giant mansions with at least 2 hot tubs, 4 beds, giant grandiose Dragon Priest Mask displays, cellars full of displays...

I just want a small home with a bed, a roaring fire, alchemy and enchanting table and thats it. Hearthfire is kind of eh because of the locations, and the lighting inside is way too bright.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Alright, nerds, I need your assistance. I've been working on porting the one and only mod I made for Oldrim, Unique Vampire Dens, to bring it to Skyrim SE. (Mostly because I can and felt like dicking around with the CK again.) I need some willing victims goons to just do some simple tests with it for me, to make sure I didn't gently caress anything up.

What I'm worried about is mostly as follows:

- Can you actually load the mod without it crashing the game? (I don't see why this would be an issue as it has no masters other than the stuff that comes out of the box with Special Edition, so there's no random masters, but still.)
- Are NPC faces showing up correctly? (i.e., they're not bright purple)
- Can you trade with the specific vendor NPCs in each den (but ONLY if your character is a vampire)? Does their inventory show up properly? Just generally do they behave as expected?
- Can your followers enter/exit the cells as normal? (They should, it works on my end, but I want to make sure.)
- Is there anything else out of place? (i.e., the thralls not showing up, gaps in architecture, anything that I might have missed. Glaring errors.)

It would help if you had both vampire and non-vamp characters, specifically to make sure the vendors won't sell to non-vamps, but I'll take anything, really. I'm more concerned with making sure the character faces show up properly, and that everything installs and functions as expected.

To make it easy, you can use the console 'coc' command to warp yourself to each of the dens, here are the cell names:

GonkishWhiterunDen
GonkishWindhelmDen
GonkishRiftenDen
GonkishMarkarthDen
GonkishSolitudeDen
GonkishRavenRockDen

They're all largely identical to what they were in the Oldrim version, with some very minor architecture tweaks to the Whiterun den to make the transition from outside to inside make more sense, as well as tweaks to Solitude and Windhelm for the same reasons. Cosmetic stuff for those. The biggest addition is an entirely new den located just outside Raven Rock on Solstheim, which I didn't do previously because I didn't want to add in another depedency/create a new version for old Skyrim. The SE, however, has everything all together so it makes it nice and easy to just throw that poo poo in there, and I felt like building something with the Redoran architecture, so there it is. The NPCs don't have custom dialogue or anything (they're mostly just window dressing, aside from the vendors who are just there to buy your poo poo), so there's not much too it beyond that.

Basically, install it, run around in the cells, check to make sure it doesn't crash the game and there aren't any obvious issues that pop up.

Download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yrjo0yvf85ueh4/Unique%20Vampire%20Dens%20SSE.rar?dl=0

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
The Pony Scrolls 5 SE

It's too early in the morning for me to source a generic Warhammer 40k heresy image, so just imagine there's a picture of a really cross member of the ecclesiarchy below.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Falken posted:

The Pony Scrolls 5 SE

It's too early in the morning for me to source a generic Warhammer 40k heresy image, so just imagine there's a picture of a really cross member of the ecclesiarchy below.

While the friends of ponies still draw breath, there can be no peace!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
The mod author used resources from a parodic brony mod to made an unironic brony mod? Interesting.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Falken posted:

The Pony Scrolls 5 SE

:randno:

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Falken posted:

Also, what good house mods are there that are... how should I put this...? Low key?

Take your home with you! Campfires has a variety of tents, more with Tentapalooza. One man, two man, big canvas tents. Gather wood for fires, craft furniture and crafting gear (including mortar and pestle for alchemy, modified troll skull for enchanting) you can place wherever, then pick up in the morning and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

CFox posted:

Magical College of Winterhold - never heard of this one before but looks pretty unnecessary

The two big Winterhold mods add a bunch of neat mini games to do to boost your skills. Or just take actual classes in magic.

They're basically Hogwarts simulators. I can't fault them for that. Definitely not for everyone though.