Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Pants Donkey posted:

I got a motion sensor for Hue to use in the bathroom, and according to HomeKit this thing is reading room temperature? Is that HomeKit weirdness, or could I possibly use this with an Ecobee in lieu of their own room temp sensors?

The temp sensor is definitely in the motion sensor, although I haven't heard of anyone doing anything interesting with it quite yet. My place is too small to justify a motion sensor (or any smart lights, really, but that hasn't stopped me there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I use motion sensors for my "alarm" part of Smartthings that I've setup so I have a few placed around the house. One use I have for the temperature sensor in them is in the morning I have a rule (yeah I still use Rule Machine) that goes:

If it's between 4am and 6am (when we normally wake up) and the temperature in the reading room is below 67F then turn on the radiator heater that is next to the reading chair. The heater is plugged into an appliance module.

We hang out in there early catching up on news and stuff on a tablet or my wife reads a book there in the morning. Two walls around that chair are just masonry not furred out so it can be chilly in the morning during the winter.

I have a motion sensor in the master bedroom that also senses humidity. I use that sensor to turn on/off the bedroom humidifier as needed to keep the humidity at a certain level.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone know any good deals on z-wave or zigbee (anything smartthings compatible) receptacles? Prefer in-wall replacements, but I'd use a plug-in type for the right price.

I've got firsthand experience with the Levitron DZR15-1RZ, in the sense I have a few scattered around the house. They do the job well and don't loose connections etc. One outlet is controlled, the other is always on.

Honestly, I've got 3 still in the box as I don't have anywhere I think I need to install them.

If I varied, although I cannot give you a good reason other than the brand being well thought of, I'd go with the GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus receptacle.

It should also be noted that my most used receptacle connected z-wave controlled devices are actually plug in modules, a Levitron one I found on clearance and a GE/Jasco outdoor switch (since upgraded to Z-Wave Plus)

EDIT: Homeseer also make plug in modules such as this one on ~$1 off sale.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 28, 2017

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm seeing a ton of hue apps with better reviews than the default one on the Google play store but most of them cost a few bucks so I'm not gonna try them all. Is there a goonsensus on which one is best? I'd like to be able to do goofy poo poo like have them pulse or react to music or my TV, and also practical stuff like assigning lights to multiple rooms or being able to control them when I'm not on my network.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Another hue question. Are there cheaper alternatives to the white ambiance bulbs? I need to get 6 for ceiling lamps that don't need color but I'm kind of balking at the price.

I guess I can just wait for a sale. I looked into the IKEA ones but it looks like they don't do temperature.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hue has basic whites which are super cheap but those just dim. No temperature. Honestly if you’re going hue just set a slickdeal alert for them and wait for sales. My entire condo is now all Hue and I’ve yet to pay full retail for any of them. All I could really go for now is the color E12’s but I haven’t seen those on sale yet.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hue has basic whites which are super cheap but those just dim. No temperature. Honestly if you’re going hue just set a slickdeal alert for them and wait for sales. My entire condo is now all Hue and I’ve yet to pay full retail for any of them. All I could really go for now is the color E12’s but I haven’t seen those on sale yet.

Will do. Thanks. I want the E19s right?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Matt Zerella posted:

Will do. Thanks. I want the E19s right?

A19 are what I use, they just are always 2700k warm color temp and you can dim them, but they're way cheaper than the ambience stuff and I don't care about color temp. I only have the lights on at night and then why would you want anything besides warm white at that point?

I bought them from Dell cause I had credit there and they had free 2-day shipping, and sell them as a 4-pack to save $10 vs buying separate:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/philips-hue-white-led-light-bulb-shape-a19-pack-of-4/apd/a9882344/home-automation

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 28, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

A19 are what I use, they just are always 2700k warm color temp and you can dim them, but they're way cheaper than the ambience stuff and I don't care about color temp. I only have the lights on at night and then why would you want anything besides warm white at that point?

True. I'll set alerts for both and see what pops up.

Thanks everyone!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Matt Zerella posted:

True. I'll set alerts for both and see what pops up.

Thanks everyone!

This looks like a legit good deal on the 4-pack of white:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-Hu...OgAAOSwc-tY4ku8

Factory refurbished but they've sold 1,545 sets of them with no complaints

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

This looks like a legit good deal on the 4-pack of white:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-Hu...OgAAOSwc-tY4ku8

Factory refurbished but they've sold 1,545 sets of them with no complaints

Perfect. I'll grab 2 of these tomorrow when the paycheck hits.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I got a couple of the Philips Hue Color bulbs. I'm having a weird issue with them, where they don't work like the regular non-color hues. If I turn them off via the app, but I toggle the physical switch, they don't turn on. The white bulbs do, is there something I'm doing wrong?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I got a couple of the Philips Hue Color bulbs. I'm having a weird issue with them, where they don't work like the regular non-color hues. If I turn them off via the app, but I toggle the physical switch, they don't turn on. The white bulbs do, is there something I'm doing wrong?

This sounds like they're faulty. My Hue colour bulbs default to on with a bright white light when you switch them off then on at the switch (ie they act like dumb bulbs by default).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This happened to me only when i was putting them into lamps. The colour lightbulbs that went into actual lights in my apartment produced the expected behaviour.

as for the app just use the default hue one??? Unless you have a super compelling need for something the third party apps offer, but honestly I just flat out don't trust them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This sounds like they're faulty. My Hue colour bulbs default to on with a bright white light when you switch them off then on at the switch (ie they act like dumb bulbs by default).

Yeah, I think this is the case. I guess I can open a ticket with Philips. I got them from Best Buy but I don't have the box to return them now.

The Iron Rose posted:

This happened to me only when i was putting them into lamps. The colour lightbulbs that went into actual lights in my apartment produced the expected behaviour.

as for the app just use the default hue one??? Unless you have a super compelling need for something the third party apps offer, but honestly I just flat out don't trust them.

Electrically, a lamp and a light fixture are the same. Also, I'm using the default Philips app. I do have Smarthings as well, but it works the same regardless.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

I use the default Hue app too but it does suck quite a bit. That said the only thing the Hue app does for me is update the bulbs and bridge and I'm not certain a third party app can manage that. I control all of the bulbs with Google Assistant and only ever open the app when something goes wrong (a little too often, if we're being honest) and every time there are pending updates I have to apply before I can do whatever it is I'm trying to do.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone here have OpenHab running with Homekit?

I had Ikea's setup before, but for Christmas I got a Hue with those bulbs. Turns out that while Ikea bulbs do show up in the Hue app, you can't use the Ikea bulbs with Homekit via the Hue bridge. And since I never liked using a 3rd party server for automating my house, I wanted to move to OpenHab anyways. However, besides the interface being unfriendly, I can't get OpenHab to show up in Homekit. My configuration was copied from their guides online (same IP as my OpenHab server), but I can't get the Home app to see that server.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Well thanks to the inlaws I have an Echo now. I dipped my feet into smart home stuff a while ago with an Ecobee thermostat but haven’t gone any further than that. I have a few questions if anyone can help.

What seems to be more important, whether I buy into SmartThings, Lutron, Hue, etc... or Z-wave or Zigbee?

It looks like most things require a hub or bridge. What’s the difference between a hub and a bridge? Is one hub good enough or doneach product/line need their own thing?

I’d like, for fullback purposes, to also have things be HomeKit compatible. Is Homekit a standard like Zigbee or something else, and is it unrealistic or cost prohibitive to try to keep things cross compatible like this?

I’m sure these are pretty basic questions but I’d like to future proof things as much as possible if I decide to make such a wife-angering investment.

Edit: posted to the right thread this time.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ManSedan posted:

Well thanks to the inlaws I have an Echo now. I dipped my feet into smart home stuff a while ago with an Ecobee thermostat but haven’t gone any further than that. I have a few questions if anyone can help.

What seems to be more important, whether I buy into SmartThings, Lutron, Hue, etc... or Z-wave or Zigbee?

It looks like most things require a hub or bridge. What’s the difference between a hub and a bridge? Is one hub good enough or doneach product/line need their own thing?

I’d like, for fullback purposes, to also have things be HomeKit compatible. Is Homekit a standard like Zigbee or something else, and is it unrealistic or cost prohibitive to try to keep things cross compatible like this?

I’m sure these are pretty basic questions but I’d like to future proof things as much as possible if I decide to make such a wife-angering investment.

Edit: posted to the right thread this time.

Well I had a huge post written up and the iOS app ate it. So this may not be as advanced as you wanted it.

If you have an Echo Plus it has a Zigbee radio built in. So from that perspective buying all Zigbee products would be your easiest way.

Hub vs Bridge is pretty much marketing, Hue calls their product a Hue Bridge, SmartThings calls it a hub. If you use the right Hub you will be covered with just one devices or the most part. IE: SmartThings does Z-Wave, Z-Wave+, Zigbee, Zigbee Light Link and can talk to every major 3rd party things and just not the minor ones that uses 2.4Ghz poo poo. Harmony Hub has a similar but smaller feature set and there are others but when I did the research I went with SmartThings so I can’t comment too much on that.

HomeKit works only with HomeKit compatible devices and is a bit limited. However if you are a bit technical you can get a NodeJS open Source project called HomeBridge that will talk with SmartThings and most other hubs and pretend to be HomeKit. Throw it on a VM or a Raspberry Pi and you can get the overlap.

One downside to all this is that you’ll be setting up the same device in 3 places. IE: Add a new light and then you need to:
Go to the Hue Hub and add it
Go to SmartThings and add it. Then tell SmartThings that because it’s in the Den, it’s part of the Routine that turns off all interior lights.
Go to the Alexa app and tell it to find new devices, then tell ALEXA that it’s in the ‘room’ Den. So you can tell Alexa to turn on new devices.
Go to the HomeKit app, and since it’s room based fully, move it to the Den so you can do the same with Siri.
Repeat this any time that you need to rediscover devices where with the Cheap GE Link bulbs the previous owner installed is about once every 3 months per bulb. I get so exhausted with this I never bother with HomeKit anymore.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
I can get this for $100. Good deal? http://i.imgur.com/IvPwPsL.jpg

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cornjob posted:

I can get this for $100. Good deal? http://i.imgur.com/IvPwPsL.jpg

I haven't seen Zmodo pop up for a few years, so it's possible that they have fixed their issues. But they used to have a reputation for their kits arriving with DOA cameras and firmware mismatches that would cause things to not communicate. Without the model number I can't tell you anything worthwhile about the camera specs.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Thomamelas posted:

I haven't seen Zmodo pop up for a few years, so it's possible that they have fixed their issues. But they used to have a reputation for their kits arriving with DOA cameras and firmware mismatches that would cause things to not communicate. Without the model number I can't tell you anything worthwhile about the camera specs.

Cant they just update FW once connected to an ISP?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cornjob posted:

Cant they just update FW once connected to an ISP?

From what I've read about others experiences, the camera firmware is updated via the NVR. So the mismatch prevents them from talking. Which seems like a huge red flag for a bunch of reasons.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Thomamelas posted:

From what I've read about others experiences, the camera firmware is updated via the NVR. So the mismatch prevents them from talking. Which seems like a huge red flag for a bunch of reasons.

Its a model ZP NL 18

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cornjob posted:

Its a model ZP NL 18

And the model numbers for the cameras?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Thomamelas posted:

And the model numbers for the cameras?

I ended up passing on that deal. I took a risk and ordered this on a $116 lightning deal
JOOAN 2MP TVI Security Camera System 4 X 1080P Weatherproof TVI Camera with 3.6mm Lens And 1080N 8CH DVR Recorder Support AHD/TVI/CVBS- No Hard Drive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K9ZXRLO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_IOasAbRXBVMYJ

I dont need wireless in my setup, and ive got loads of spare HDDs laying around.

Ill report back on how it goes

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I want one of my Hue lightbulbs to turn a specified color in the morning, every morning at 7am, but only when it’s raining right now.

I feel like IFTTT should be made for this kind of stuff but I’ve never used it before and can’t seem to figure out a way to use “and” statements. If not IFTTT how can I do this? I have an iPhone if it matters.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I want one of my Hue lightbulbs to turn a specified color in the morning, every morning at 7am, but only when it’s raining right now.

I feel like IFTTT should be made for this kind of stuff but I’ve never used it before and can’t seem to figure out a way to use “and” statements. If not IFTTT how can I do this? I have an iPhone if it matters.

I'm pretty sure that's more than IFTTT can do. I too find IFTTT to be so limited as to almost be useless but everyone seems to love it so maybe I'm missing something.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

https://home-assistant.io/ has a bunch of weather plugins, and it can talk to the hue hub. You'll need some kind of server to run it though (usually a Raspberry Pi)

Tamba fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 31, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ifttt can't do and.

Look into zapier... It's a more powerful ifttt

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I caved and bought a Smart things home surveillance kit, the one with the hub, door sensors, motion sensor, and outlet adapter. I'm interested in standardizing on Z-Wave, so I know the Hub is good for that, but what about Hue bulbs? Can those work with the Smart Things Hub without needing the Hurt hub? The bulbs appear to support Zigbee, which the Hub does too, I just don't want to end up needing to have too many hubs up and running.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

IAmKale posted:

I caved and bought a Smart things home surveillance kit, the one with the hub, door sensors, motion sensor, and outlet adapter. I'm interested in standardizing on Z-Wave, so I know the Hub is good for that, but what about Hue bulbs? Can those work with the Smart Things Hub without needing the Hurt hub? The bulbs appear to support Zigbee, which the Hub does too, I just don't want to end up needing to have too many hubs up and running.

Yeah, I have one Hue bulb and no Hue Hub, and it works fine. You need to log into the SmartThings IDE and set the device handler manually. Zigbee RGBW Bulb works for SmartThings, but for whatever reason I had to change it to ZLL RGBW Bulb to allow Alexa to control it through SmartThings. SmartThings and Alexa can both control on/off, brightness, and color. I've had it disconnect once or twice, but just turning the power off to the lamp and back on has fixed it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

IAmKale posted:

My SmartThings hub is ~95% reliable. My Hue hub is like 99%. This small discrepancy seems like a non-issue until you walk into a dark house with no motion-activated lights because the SmartThings cloud is undergoing maintenance, or because your home internet connection is offline for some reason.

Hue runs 100% locally and if you use it with your Hue bulbs, SmartThings sends commands to Hue hub which are executed instantly. It’s really, really nice integration.

Also, if you have iOS devices and care to use HomeKit, the Hue hub has full HomeKit integration, and SmartThings doesn’t. So that’s something too.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

My SmartThings hub is ~95% reliable. My Hue hub is like 99%. This small discrepancy seems like a non-issue until you walk into a dark house with no motion-activated lights because the SmartThings cloud is undergoing maintenance, or because your home internet connection is offline for some reason.
Hmm, I was hoping SmartThings would be a bit more "standalone", I missed that a lot of its functionality is tied to The :yaycloud:. I found this article, though, which says Z-Wave and Zigbee devices can now be run via "local processing", which sounds as though I won't lose complete IoT support in case of internet outages.

I guess it still remains to be seen (for me anyway) how many useful Z-Wave devices exist and whether there's any actual utility in being able to yank out the internet and still be able to monitor door/motion sensors/control lights/etc...

I suppose I'll roll with SmartThings for now and hope for the best!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah, I think this is the case. I guess I can open a ticket with Philips. I got them from Best Buy but I don't have the box to return them now.

Electrically, a lamp and a light fixture are the same. Also, I'm using the default Philips app. I do have Smarthings as well, but it works the same regardless.

No loving clue then. My Internet was out for like 48 hours a few weeks back. I turned on the non lamps like normal. But none of the actual lamps worked when I switched them on.

I didn't bother unplugging and plugging the lamps back in from the power might be it, only using the lamp switch?

It was super loving weird either way but I just suffered through a darker living room than normal for the duration.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Tamba posted:

https://home-assistant.io/ has a bunch of weather plugins, and it can talk to the hue hub. You'll need some kind of server to run it though (usually a Raspberry Pi)

I looked into this and found a very recent blog post on how a guy used this for his home and I'm fascinated. I use Python already every day at work so I'm quite familiar with the language and snippets like this:

code:
if group.all_devices is 'not_home':
    if time between '7:30:00' and '10:00:00' and day is not weekend:
        service.turn_off_all_lights()
Make perfect sense. I'm currently using the iOS app "iConnectHue" to do basic scheduling (wake up alarms, geofencing, etc) but it looks like rear end and if I could just set up everything in a text document then that's fantastic. Also he does a thing where he gets (push?) notifications whenever his washing machine is finished washing, which is something that I never knew I wanted but I want it.

The guy in that blog uses phrases like "any Z-Wave X device would work for Y" and what exactly does that mean? From what I gather Z-Wave is just another wireless protocol joining Zigbee, Wifi, Bluetooth, etc. What makes Z Wave so special? I see it posted in this thread a lot too, like if it were the ultimate communication standard or something.

Anyway, how's the security on Home Assistant? I don't wanna open up my home to some botnet controller you know.

Also, would this Raspberry Pi 3 kit work for it? Is 16GB enough space?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

IAmKale posted:

Hmm, I was hoping SmartThings would be a bit more "standalone", I missed that a lot of its functionality is tied to The :yaycloud:. I found this article, though, which says Z-Wave and Zigbee devices can now be run via "local processing", which sounds as though I won't lose complete IoT support in case of internet outages.

I guess it still remains to be seen (for me anyway) how many useful Z-Wave devices exist and whether there's any actual utility in being able to yank out the internet and still be able to monitor door/motion sensors/control lights/etc...

I suppose I'll roll with SmartThings for now and hope for the best!

You’ll definitely lose total control when internet/cloud goes out. The only devices that are locally processed are a few types of smart bulbs (of which Hues, connected via Hue hub are one).

The bigger issue is that the ST system is 100% internet-based. All communication goes phone -> ST cloud -> hub -> device. Nix the cloud in whichever way (be it their fault, or yours), you lose total control.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyway, how's the security on Home Assistant? I don't wanna open up my home to some botnet controller you know.

Also, would this Raspberry Pi 3 kit work for it? Is 16GB enough space?
No idea about security, as I only use the Telegram Polling component to have it send me messages, so I don't have it exposed to the internet.

That kit is perfect (they recommend a 32 GB, but 16GB really is plenty of space for now)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Boris Galerkin posted:

The guy in that blog uses phrases like "any Z-Wave X device would work for Y" and what exactly does that mean? From what I gather Z-Wave is just another wireless protocol joining Zigbee, Wifi, Bluetooth, etc. What makes Z Wave so special? I see it posted in this thread a lot too, like if it were the ultimate communication standard or something.

Z-Wave is another low power low speed mesh network similar to ZigBee but it's proprietary instead of an open standard. Normally this would be a bad thing, but in this case it's sort of a "benevolent dictator" situation. Devices all use the same chips and are required to support the standard profiles where applicable, meaning that you can mix and match components without worrying about compatibility. ZigBee's openness has become somewhat of a disadvantage in that many vendors have implemented their own sorts of "lock in" where certain devices won't work with certain hubs, or won't have full functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m assuming that Home Assistant works by calling an official Hue API so does that mean if internet is out my schedules don’t work? Or does the Hue Bridge allow local API calls?

Edit:

wolrah posted:

Z-Wave is another low power low speed mesh network similar to ZigBee but it's proprietary instead of an open standard. Normally this would be a bad thing, but in this case it's sort of a "benevolent dictator" situation. Devices all use the same chips and are required to support the standard profiles where applicable, meaning that you can mix and match components without worrying about compatibility. ZigBee's openness has become somewhat of a disadvantage in that many vendors have implemented their own sorts of "lock in" where certain devices won't work with certain hubs, or won't have full functionality.

In practice doesn’t this just mean that the current popular/best “Hub” device now has to pay a license/royalty to make their hub compatible with yet another standard, and 100% for sure passing down those costs to us?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 31, 2017