Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Likin the LP just like the previous ones.

I had some thoughts on the emotional tone of the pre-super body segments. Emotionally, it feels like they were trying too hard. It's not enough that BJ has an abusive father and has some rather compelling (for a video game) flash backs about him, but he actually shows up in person for a violent confrontation. It's not enough that Engel is villainous or evil, she has to be comically over the top cackling evil, which I think detracts from her scariness. It's not enough that BJ is in prison with no hope of rescue, but there has to be a tragically doomed rescue attempt where he sees his friend shot down and hears the others "die" off camera. Like all of these are attempts to push emotional buttons on the part of the developers, but then they feel the need to turn each one up to 11. I'm obviously not demanding subtlety in my alternative future nazi killing simulator but it feels ham handed how they set these situations up. The change in confidence in story-telling from these episodes to the execution + head attachment scenario is a striking and welcome change. Yes, BJ's head being attached to a heretofore unmentioned super nazi body and equipped with one of three magical wish equipment is just as over the top and hard charging as the examples I used above, but it feels less manipulative somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Scaramouche posted:

Likin the LP just like the previous ones.

I had some thoughts on the emotional tone of the pre-super body segments. Emotionally, it feels like they were trying too hard. It's not enough that BJ has an abusive father and has some rather compelling (for a video game) flash backs about him, but he actually shows up in person for a violent confrontation. It's not enough that Engel is villainous or evil, she has to be comically over the top cackling evil, which I think detracts from her scariness. It's not enough that BJ is in prison with no hope of rescue, but there has to be a tragically doomed rescue attempt where he sees his friend shot down and hears the others "die" off camera. Like all of these are attempts to push emotional buttons on the part of the developers, but then they feel the need to turn each one up to 11. I'm obviously not demanding subtlety in my alternative future nazi killing simulator but it feels ham handed how they set these situations up. The change in confidence in story-telling from these episodes to the execution + head attachment scenario is a striking and welcome change. Yes, BJ's head being attached to a heretofore unmentioned super nazi body and equipped with one of three magical wish equipment is just as over the top and hard charging as the examples I used above, but it feels less manipulative somehow.

The Nazis had a woman who would take prison camp inmates with tattoos she liked and had them skinned to make lamps. There is no such thing as comically evil for these guys.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

If you can think of something horrible to do to a human being (pre-internet, anyway), the Nazis have done it, more or less guaranteed. The only reason TNO/TOB/TNC seem over the top is because we didn't live through that time period, we didn't see first-hand what they did.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Yes, BJ's head being attached to a heretofore unmentioned super nazi body

If you poke around in Set's lab earlier in the game you can find a discussion of the comatose supersoldat body they've got floating in a tube and no idea what to do with.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sleepy.eyes posted:

The Nazis had a woman who would take prison camp inmates with tattoos she liked and had them skinned to make lamps. There is no such thing as comically evil for these guys.

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn’t."

If you told me that a concentration camp guard nursed a dog back to health just so he could rape it to death in front of its owner to ensure that the man's last moments before the gas chamber were as miserable as possible, I'd go "Yep. Sounds like a Nazi alright." (I'd still want a source, but that's just general policy when passing on information.)

You do it in a story, I'm going to say that you're over-egging the pudding. Life is big, and has room for Ilse Koch on the one end, Albert Günther Göring on the other, and dark humor like the letter where Rommel suggested Hitler should promote some Jewish fellow to Gauleiter to show how ridiculous the idea of Nazi antisemitism was in the middle. But fiction, fiction is different. Every single thing in a game or movie was placed by the choice of a creator, and that means it sends a message.

You include something like that Rommel letter, it's hard not to think you're going soft on the Nazis, or trying to sell the clean wehrmacht myth. Focus on someone like Albert, you focus in on the members of the German people who actively resisted the Nazis, and it's seen as a narrative goal that you're drawing a line between German and Nazi. And the more you focus in on people like Koch, the less it works with a thematic push that the Nazis were "normal" people committing these crimes. Doesn't matter if that's your goal, it's just a unfortunate consequence of your area of focus.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn’t."

If you told me that a concentration camp guard nursed a dog back to health just so he could rape it to death in front of its owner to ensure that the man's last moments before the gas chamber were as miserable as possible, I'd go "Yep. Sounds like a Nazi alright." (I'd still want a source, but that's just general policy when passing on information.)

You do it in a story, I'm going to say that you're over-egging the pudding. Life is big, and has room for Ilse Koch on the one end, Albert Günther Göring on the other, and dark humor like the letter where Rommel suggested Hitler should promote some Jewish fellow to Gauleiter to show how ridiculous the idea of Nazi antisemitism was in the middle. But fiction, fiction is different. Every single thing in a game or movie was placed by the choice of a creator, and that means it sends a message.

You include something like that Rommel letter, it's hard not to think you're going soft on the Nazis, or trying to sell the clean wehrmacht myth. Focus on someone like Albert, you focus in on the members of the German people who actively resisted the Nazis, and it's seen as a narrative goal that you're drawing a line between German and Nazi. And the more you focus in on people like Koch, the less it works with a thematic push that the Nazis were "normal" people committing these crimes. Doesn't matter if that's your goal, it's just a unfortunate consequence of your area of focus.

The most horrific thing about these dark times in human history, be it nazis or the dictatorship of the Khmer Rouge in cambodia, that there are still real people struggling to pass a living.
These individual psychopath horror stories may have a moral purpose or shock value, but it is like telling a story with half the actors. Like telling the history of the usa only with such great human beings like General Custer or Charles Manson.
Kind of my "problem" with new Wolfenstein's narrative approach. All this subtle human struggle on one side, but videogame nazis are of course still axe-crazy highly ineffective satan worshippers (which somehow still took over the world?)

Sorry about my rambling lazyfire, it is still a good lp.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

sleepy.eyes posted:

In the concentration camp for Polish children, they had the inmates undergo 'Germanification' procedures, one of which involved having them crawl naked over broken glass.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Edit: Nevermind :sweatdrop:

GUI fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 30, 2017

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Could you not?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Sorry. I'll save it for later. :ssh:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I am interested to see how Grace reacts BJ. Its was his capture that got super spesh killed in the rescue attempt. Normally I would say poo poo happens in wsr, but going to your childhood home, after a nuclear attack, is playing with a known cheats dice.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Nalesh posted:

I know several swedes with patronym last names though :confused:

Yes, Svensson, Anderson and so on is still the most common surnames, but they are inherited as is from their parents now, If your fathers name was Johan Person for example though, the child's last name will still be Person, not Johanson.

Kopijeger posted:

Found this on wiki:

Looks like the developers knew their history: the game character seems to be at least in her twenties, which would mean that she was born before 1940. In other words, her name actually makes sense for the time period.

That is interesting, but the thing I felt was somewhat incongruous is the name being Gunnarsdotter. From what I suspect is the same Wikipedia article you referenced;

quote:

När bruket av patronymika minskade i Sverige försvann namnen på ‑dotter först. I svensk folkbokföring mot slutet av 1800-talet fick ogifta döttrar till Erik namnet Eriksson istället för Eriksdotter.

Gunnar Myrdals familj är typisk för den stegvisa förändringen av det svenska namnskicket. Myrdals farfar hette Perers Petter Ersson (med det gamla bruket att ange gårdsnamn först, ”Perers”). Myrdals far hette ursprungligen Perers Carl Pettersson med patronymikon efter fadern Petter. Han slutade använda gårdsnamnet och kallade sig ”godsägare C. A. Pettersson”. Men Carl Petterssons son kallades Gunnar Pettersson (inte Carlsson) eftersom patronymikonet Pettersson blivit efternamn, och Gunnar Petersson bytte senare till det mer särskiljande namnet Gunnar Myrdal. Gunnar Myrdals morfar hette Carl Mattsson,[5] men Gunnar Myrdals mor hette Sofia Carlsson, inte Carlsdotter. Hon bar alltså ett slags patronymikon, men med ändelsen ‑son, i stället för ‑dotter. Ändelsen ‑dotter ansågs av många, även Sofia Carlsson, såsom alltför gammalmodig.

So, even if patronyms were still around, Miriam would most likely be Gunnarsson, not Gunnarsdotter. And, a minor point, her name would probably be spelled Mirjam.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Thesaya posted:

So, even if patronyms were still around, Miriam would most likely be Gunnarsson, not Gunnarsdotter. And, a minor point, her name would probably be spelled Mirjam.

But...she's...not his son...? Unless MachineGames is imputing a lot more social liberation to Nazi-controlled 1960s than would be justifiable, anyway.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
But that's what the untranslated quote said.

People with patronyms got rid of the -dotter suffix when it no longer represented their actual fathers, and replaced it with the -sson suffix to make the names more uniform.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Leave it to a thread about a game where you kill vast amounts of Nazis to teach us all about Swedish last names. It's been a highly entertaining conversation.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
It's great that in Wolfstone the American goons yell "My life!" when they die.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's great that in Wolfstone the American goons yell "My life!" when they die.

Except those guys are Russian. "For mother Russia" is their announce sound.

Wolf 3D was the first computer game I played if you don't count educational games like Think Quick or Carmen Sandiego (the original green screen USA one, not World. I'm old.). Brings back some memories.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Except those guys are Russian. "For mother Russia" is their announce sound.

"Russians" in green uniforms? Besides, I'm pretty sure the announce sound is "look out!".

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Green uniforms = Americans = Look out!
Red uniforms = Russians = My life!

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Didn't know there were Russian-speaking enemies that jabber about "Mother Russia" in Wolfstone as well (didn't play far enough, and did not bother to watch the video). Still, "Russian" soldiers should have brown uniforms in most cases. And in-universe, it doesn't make sense at all that the game is in English.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 31, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blazko's OSA. He almost certainly speaks German, and thoughtfully translates for the audience. Same as the documents.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

His German was godawful in The Old Blood, but he has had almost two decades to...learn by osmosis I guess

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Really Pants posted:

His German was godawful in The Old Blood, but he has had almost two decades to...learn by osmosis I guess

He speaks it badly and with an accent, but it's pretty clear he understands it fine.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Really Pants posted:

I can read and hear german fine, don't ask me to speak or write it though :v:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Really Pants posted:

I thought it was interesting that Agent One mentioned how bad his German was in Old Blood but at the start of The New Order he could speak Polish when he first spoke to Anya. You could make the case that it was foreshadowing his mom's heritage and influence.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lazyfire posted:

I thought it was interesting that Agent One mentioned how bad his German was in Old Blood but at the start of The New Order he could speak Polish when he first spoke to Anya. You could make the case that it was foreshadowing his mom's heritage and influence.

IIRC it's always been a thing in the Wolfenstein series that BJ is Polish-American. Just look at his last name.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Lazyfire posted:

Man, now I want to see, during the Roswell walking segment, BJ correct someone's German. And being thanked for it.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

He spend 14 years in a Polish asylum at least partially cognizant, that probably helped refresh him on the language.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Lazyfire posted:

Polish and German are very different languages :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfKZclMWS1U

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
That is an amazing name!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The architecture in part 9 was deeply disturbing and affected me more than the gore.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

It feels like forever since the last episode, but that's probably because I used my week off to record well past this. One of the big changes between The New Order and this game is the introduction of the Obercommando missions that will comprise the next couple videos. I've hinted at these since early in the LP, but essentially these missions allow you to go back to places you've visited previously and kill more Nazis. High ranking ones, even. The game populates each area with new conversations, enemy layouts and items to collect, so it is really worth going and doing at least a few of them before you head to the end game. If nothing else you will get new levels in some of your perks. This is also how you acquire the other contraptions as each has a level where the only way to get to the end is to use the unique ability of the contraption you are gifted in the level, like some sort of brutalist Zelda dungeon. I like these missions and I'll be showing each of the areas off at least once before the end of the LP. The major problem with them is the Enigma machine. To unlock a mission you have to have killed commanders enough to have obtained the proper number of Enigma codes, then you have to do a really simple but tedious puzzle...thing in order to open the area up. There is literally no tutorial or anything for how that works and so the first time I entered the enigma machine I lost four cards loving up the puzzle. It's a minor annoyance, but sucked nonetheless.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Is there any payoff to feeding the pig between every mission besides the wonderful satisfaction of making sure the pig is happy?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Shei-kun posted:

Is there any payoff to feeding the pig between every mission besides the wonderful satisfaction of making sure the pig is happy plump and delicious?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Sigrun looks lonely. You should sit down with her.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Life is difficult for Sigrun. :smith:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Oh, you didn't miss out on the enigma tape, it did flash up

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Making a pig happy is it's own reward. My neighbor has a son who is too autistic to have a dog or cat or whatever, but pigs are (apparently ) even tempered. The kid will pull on his nose and roughhouse with it and it just takes it will good grace, a fun animal to interact with. A lot smarter then my idiot dog too.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I killed both Nazi flamethrower robot mecha dogs
Little fun was had in the process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

sleepy.eyes posted:

Making a pig happy is it's own reward. My neighbor has a son who is too autistic to have a dog or cat or whatever, but pigs are (apparently ) even tempered. The kid will pull on his nose and roughhouse with it and it just takes it will good grace, a fun animal to interact with. A lot smarter then my idiot dog too.

Well, you know, a dog looks up to you, a cat looks down on you, but a pig looks you in the eye and sees you as an equal.

And yes, Sigrun really needs a hug.

• Locked thread