Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Zore posted:

Huh, why did Silent Generation spike Republican in 16? They seem to have gone pretty consistently even for decades until Trump?

Because they're all dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

enraged_camel posted:

Yep, this is precisely why I laughed. People love talking about what "independent" means but they haven't looked at actual research, so it comes across as a bunch of nonsense.

... the poster you're arguing against posted actual data, you incredible dumdum

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aves Maria! posted:

hmmm yes, im sure your condescension is due to your fukkin extreme knowledge of politics. thanks bro

yeah, but this is making a lot of assumptions that you couldn't possibly support with data. which is that millennials that identify as independent have a tendency to be dem leaners and not archconservatives. and I think it's hard to say if that's because they're nominally socially liberal and actually conservative or bc they're like much of the DSA-types that don't register as dems because they are way to the left of the party.

i can't support it with data, no, but imo a lot of the left-leaningness of millenials is because it is so far the least white generation in american history, and a lot of even the rural white millenials who would totally be conservatives in a bubble are somewhat exposed to left politics, for better or worse - such as, supporting jobs training and low cost trade education, while also hating black lives matter

the undercurrent of american rural leftism is always grappling with racial identity. like a hundred years ago america was poised to support a welfare state, so long as those lazy mooching blacks weren't coddled etc.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

According to actual research, "independent" generally means one of two things: either

1) "I am embarrassed to answer with my real affilliation" or

2) "I don't want to think about politics."

The theoretical "undecided voter" isn't undecided because of conflicting beliefs; they're undecided for the same reason I'm undecided as to my favorite sportsball team: a total lack of information.

Unfortunately Trump has a natural appeal to the first group because he is incapable of shame, and to the second group because they feel natural kinship with his ignorance.

I think younger independents are actually a third category. Most of the ones I've come across in person, online, and in media lean more to the both parties are bad, but their own politics are left leaning. Owing largely to idealism and a shallow understanding of political history as to why the US is a 2 Party System. You know, other than the machinations of big money to keep the revolution in check because both parties are similar.

Luckily Trump and the Republican lust for mustache twirling has at least broken through most people's both sides are the same shell.

While Racism is always a good answer for why old white people did something, don't discount the sexism of septuagenarians and octogenarians who are convinced a woman can't lead.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Gyges posted:

While Racism is always a good answer for why old white people did something, don't discount the sexism of septuagenarians and octogenarians who are convinced a woman can't lead.

That graph shows the Silent generation breaking for Dems through George Bush's tenure, an increase in Republican support around 2008 and then majority Republican support by 2010. The Democrats didn't nominate a woman in 2008 so it must have been something else. I don't really need to wonder what that something else is though since I've heard the things being said by the old white people around me over the past 10 years. It's probably more accurate to call it xenophobia than racism. It's not just skin color or race that's alarming to them. It's people who behave differently and have different customs. It's diversity that they are afraid of.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
imo a contributor to the idea that "old people are conservative" is that liberal people tend to die younger through free living and substance abuse

i had two grandfathers, one long dead and one still living. my long dead grandfather was a gambler and a drunk who was shot by the county sheriff's son in a poker game gone wrong. my living grandfather is a financial and moral tightwad who ticks along on sheer righteousness alone, he's also very wealthy at this point from stubborn refusal to ever spend an unnecessary dime. he was telling me recently about how he still wears the same leather belt he bought in 1958, and he regularly donated his christmas gifts to charity because in his mind he obtained all the material goods he ever needed in the 1970's

one of the surefire ways to live into your 80s and above is to have No Fun

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 31, 2017

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

boner confessor posted:

the undercurrent of american rural leftism is always grappling with racial identity. like a hundred years ago america was poised to support a welfare state, so long as those lazy mooching blacks weren't coddled etc.

lol, you dont have to convince me of the demons of rural leftism, im a product of it

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Gyges posted:

Don't forget that them libruls what wanna give everyone health insurance and that means death panels (overt or the ~double secret~ kind) for the olds because ~reasons~. Health insurance should only be for people who can afford it or lived long enough to be *entitled* to Medicare!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Snuffman posted:

My dream scenario is they ALL go to jail in chains (Not Tiffany and Barron, they're innocent).

When Barron goes all President Joffrey to avenge his father I'm going to quote this.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Been working on a big ole post for my blog. I thought it was relevant enough to share to this thread as well (links to my blog are for the conveniance of readers new to my material):

Decoding the Red Pill: Social Media and the rise and radicalization of the Alt-Reich.

Greetings and welcome to a detailed discussion of the specific psychological mechanisms that underpin the radicalization process and how social media has been weaponized by corporate and political actors to exploit this specific (naturally occurring) emergent behavior. This essay will explain how certain types of media (often heavily reliant on the spoken word) can "teach" the human brain to accept/reject new information based on its adherence to a recognizable formula, (a process I call "Narrative Induction") and that once so induced a specific types of media result in a predictable and steady process of radicalization- progressing from nonviolent (at first) to violent* (the "Radicalization Engine").

*Violence appears first as lone wolfs attempting to fire the "first shots" of they expect to be a great war (e.g. the Charleston Shooter) and if left unchecked progresses to small groups taking to public spaces to enact violence on targeted minorities (e.g. Charlottesville).

But first a few words about the author. I was raised in an authoritarian cult environment and despite rebelling against the specific cult I was raised in wound up involved in a series of cults during the early stages of my adult life. Eventually my dysfunction (as well as my untreated mental illness) resulted in my becoming homeless. While homeless I finally hit my personal rock bottom and checked myself into treatment. I spent several years in intensive therapy learning to deprogram myself. (as well as manage my schizophrenia) During the process of deprogramming I started a personal vanity project meant to both help myself understand the environment I had been raised in as well as to help others understand the authoritarian mindset. With the (genuinely heartwarming) support an an internet community I was able to develop my ideas into the "Narrativist Framework- a detailed psychological framework that describes the behavior/mindset of the extremists I was raised around and used to be myself.

I mention all this upfront because I want to make clear that I am not a credentialed expert and do not have a college education. The cult I was raised in had its own school and they were largely responsible for my education growing up. (I have been trying my best to fill in the gaps ever since I graduated high school but I was largely taught irrational fantasy nonsense.) Rather I prefer to think of myself as being akin to Mowgli trying his best to explain the Jungle to those who have never lived in it. I understand all of this on an intuitive level and (as a result of my schizophrenia) have an unusual capacity for pattern recognition. I am therefor doing my best to convey an intuitive understanding of this topic- I am not always perfect or completely correct but I feel my work is well reasoned and insightful enough to be worth hearing out.

Lastly before I dive into the meat of this (it's coming I swear) I want to clarify my reasons for writing this in the first place. I aim to 1.) explain the radicalization process in such a way as that the average person can both recognize and understand why groups like Gamergaters or r/Incel became so radicalized and 2.) prevent the same from happening (even more than it already is) on the progressive left. (The progressive lefts love-affair with purity tests can result in the exact same radicalization process playing out in progressive communities if left unchecked.) While much of this essay will cite examples from the Alt-Reich that is only because they present the most clear and well-known examples of the behaviors described- I could have used examples exclusively from the left if I had been willing to put in about 4 times the legwork/been willing to use examples that required more explanation. (Radicalization is much more widespread/developed on the right at present than it is on the left, but there is plenty enough radicalization on the left to warrant concern.)

Returning (finally) to the main thrust of this essay let me first explain how new Narrativists are created before I explain how radicalization occurs. Narrativism is what I call a "Self Replicating Behavior Pattern"- that is to say that Narrativism is a naturally occurring behavior pattern that results from changes to the way the way the brain processes information. These changes in the way the brain accepts/rejects new information are caused by exposure to Narrativist media over a sufficiently long period of time. (The younger the mind the less overall exposure required- this is why tweens and young teens are becoming very quickly radicalized by youtubers like PewDiePie.) Specifically media that communicates using what I call "Bypass Logic" through the medium of the spoken word seems to be the most reliable method of inducing the brain to adopt Narrativism.

For a demonstration of this process impacting an adult mind I would like to cite the excellent documentary "The Brainwashing of My Dad". In the trailer for this documentary you can see the general premise of my argument demonstrated: A normal father begins to listen to right wing radio (spoken word relying heavily on Bypass Logic) during long commutes. This results in the father becoming a clear example of a Narrativist and undergoing a steady radicalization over the years. (Thankfully in this case the story ultimately has a happy ending.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh3TeTxgNVo&t=1s

Next we come to the Radicalization Engine. In order to explain this concept I will need to heavily reference terms and concepts from the Narrativist Framework. While brief descriptions of each of these concepts are provided here it is strongly recommended that readers new to this material also read the longer definitions provided for each term.

*I am occasionally asked why I rely heavily on using the Narrativist Framework instead of referencing similar concepts that exist elsewhere in academic circles. The reason is because while it may lend a bit of credibility it would require so much extra explanation as to ultimately cancel out any positive benefits in my view. While a number of my concepts have similar counterparts, there are are often enough differences that I would need a significant explanation next to each term- in addition to a number of my concepts being completely novel and requiring the creation of a new term in either case. Furthermore modern psychology has not yet attempted to connect these concepts in the way I have and I would be taking pieces from 20 different theoretical frameworks while needing to explain what pieces of which theory are relevant and why. The overall result would be a confusing mess for both myself and the reader. As a result I feel it is just far simpler to use my own terms for these concepts: the Narrativist Framework was meant to describe how these concepts are interlinked to begin with and once understood it requires far less effort to communicate far more information with the Narrativist Framework than it would be using/adapting existing concepts within academia.

The Radicalization Engine is a three step process:
  • 1.) Narrative Dysphoria: When the experience of the real world does not align to the expectations generated by the Inner Narrative a form of cognitive dissonance that I call Narrative Dysphoria. This cognitive dissonance is relieved in a Narrativist group by engaging in a
  • 2.) Compaction Cycle: The ritualized scapegoating and expulsion of a member of a Narrativist community*. Events that generate large amounts of Narrative dysphoria often produce visible Compaction cycles in online communities as the less radicalized are driven out by their more radicalized brethren. Those driven out from one Narrativist group very rarely stop being Narrativists however and instead will often join a new Narrativist group. After a Compaction Cycle there is very frequently a clear period of
  • 3.) Inner Narrative Evolution: The stresses of the Compaction Cycle cause the brain of the Narrativist to adopt Bypass logic ever more heavily- resulting in The Enemy becoming a steadily greater threat (with an ever-increasing retinue of unearthly powers) and justifying ever greater (and eventually violent) responses in order for the Narrativist to defend themselves from expected annihilation.

*If the Narrativist community is large and radicalized enough they will also target non-Narrativists for scapegoating/harassment and expulsion from society.

The above process can be seen playing out over and over in virtually every single right-wing affilaited space at present- from the notorious FreeRepublic.com to the (thankfully now closed) r/Incels and r/physicalremoval*. (This process can also be observed playing out in smaller scales on a number of left-oriented online communities as well.) Once recognized the cycle becomes clear and almost routine: a wave of Narrative Dysphoria (of late these are often caused by the bumbling of the Trump administration) is followed shortly thereafter by a Compaction Cycle (often targeting anyone who publicly questions the emerging groupthink), then shortly after the Compaction Cycle there is a noted uptick in the radicalized behaviors exhibited by the involved groups.

*I would argue that the very name "Physical Removal" is a direct reference to the psychological imperative to engage in Compaction Cycles.

One of the cleanest examples of this process comes from the Trump administration itself in the form of the firing of Reince Priebus. The various leaks in the administration were an ongoing source of Narrative Dysphoria and Reince was first scapegoated for these leaks before being publicly Compacted out of the Trump administration. Shortly thereafter there was a noted uptick in radicalization among Trumps inner circle- particularly when a month after Reince was fired Trump gave his infamous speech supporting white supremacists in the wake of Charlottesville.

It is my contention that Narrativism (and all attendant behaviors like Narrative Induction) are naturally occurring behaviors: I would even argue that early on in mankinds history Narrativism likely provided a community with more benefits than costs. When human communities were very small (often sub 200 members) Narrativism would have presented a way of creating a group united by common beliefs instead of by familial ties- and during the first 180,000 odd years of human existence that very likely may have been a significant survival advantage over human groups that relied solely on familial ties for alliances. Narrativism would have spread from speaker to listener- but only very slowly as much of the average persons time was occupied with meeting basic needs. The much smaller community sizes also meant generally fewer opportunities for Compaction Cycles- and therefor a sort of "soft cap" on the degree of radicalization that could occur in a given community before it became too small/dysfunctional for the process to continue unabated.

However modern mass media overcomes all these soft limits and makes it possible for large numbers of individuals to be radicalized quickly (as happened in Nazi Germany). The 24/7 barrage of Narrativist media enabled by modern social media has enabled Narrativism to develop even faster-it has also enabled hostile foreign actors to interfere in rival countries simply by monetarily supporting media that supports either Narrative Induction or some portion of the Radicalization Engine.* (Russia has been slowly trial-and-erroring its way to a better understanding of how to manipulate Narrativism over the past several years: Its most notable successes thus far being Brexit and Trump's election.)

* The following video demonstrates this very nicely I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcvvE2zHcn0

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 31, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Here comes the next wave of lunacy:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/947374111248076801

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

boner confessor posted:

i'd say there's space for a lot of white millennials to be left leaning but inherently conservative - they've been told to support closed borders, a strong military etc. and associate those things with american patriotism, and where they personally see the merit in a strong social safety net and proactive government action, they can't reconcile that with historic trajectories in xenophobic and white supremacist american society. and, being plugged into the internet so hard, are real easy to sway with arguments against SJWs and screeching reeeeeee feminists

This actually describes a lot of people from military families and you would be surprised how rational and sane a lot of the people in the armed forces are. Pretty much everyone in my family including the women are all active duty or prior military service. They like their guns, and bombs, fighter jets and killing assholes but also believe in pensions, unions, retirement, universal healthcare, apprenticeships/on the job training, higher education, maternity leave, paid time off, paid sick leave, vaccinations, the CDC/NIH/VA/FDA/[insert other government regulatory or health agency], promotions based on merit and experience level, and overall uprooting corruption wherever it may exist.

The military is funny in the sense that it's this horrible double edged institution designed for slaughter that somehow provides a peep hole for a near ideal social and political structure at least in cases where you don't have a massive gap in unit cohesion or poo poo leadership. "Woman's rights" and "race", and "sexual orientation", are not usually on anyone's minds as rank is the end all be all of any decision as no one has time for that "SJW poo poo" anyways. The fuckers who sexually harass or rape or whatever get kicked the gently caress out. It's also probably one of the only organizations outside of maybe firefighters and EMS where families and neighbors actually interact with each other, socialize with each other, grieve together, and experience joy together.

It most certainly exists in a bubble which sometimes results in a lack of empathy for struggling civilians as many either forget or have no prior notion of the vast injustices that occur in the regular domestic world. Nepotism exists everywhere, but my dad for example was shocked by some of the stuff he saw happening in civilian jobs after 20+ years of military service. Shocked in the sense of: "What the gently caress? This poo poo only happens in the movies and in books!" and more specifically: "Wait, there's no way that Sally is getting paid less than Bill, the boss's son, as they are both assistant managers (aka the same 'rank')!".

Personally, I remember it being a massive shock as young adult after my dad retired trying to navigate private health insurance. All of the medical bills for appointments, insurance company bullshit, pharmacy bullshit, 'deductibles', 'PPO/HMO designations', prior authorizations, 'yearly renewals, monthly fees, etc. was completely foreign to me as all of this stuff was basically standardized when I was still on my dad's military Tricare plan. My late teens extremely naive notion of healthcare was that the government provides most of the services for ALL CITIZENS free of charge through all the taxes we pay and these taxes pay all the doctors for their hard work and equipment and expenses because it's really really important for everyone to be healthy. If I am sick, I go to the doctor, give him my Tricare card to prove I am a U.S citizen, and he does whatever he/she needs in order to help me get well because doctors and all medical field people are all good people. I drop prescription off at pharmacy, show my Tricare card, pay a small nominal fee, and get my pills in 15 minutes or less. Any major procedures or surgeries will require me to pay a little more out of pocket such as maybe the low 3 figures, but that's a reasonable expectation and I should never expect to receive a massive bill that would bankrupt me 1000 times over as that is just impossible, a completely absurd injustice that can never happen in America, and never ever happened before when I was on military Tricare. Anyone who claims about having a $100k medical bill for an appendectomy is LYING as something like that IS JUST NOT POSSIBLE! If some 'other' individual cries about not being able to afford their medical bills, then that's COMPLETELY their fault and 100% SOMETHING THEY HAVE COMPLETE CONTROL OVER because they must of blown all of their money on gambling or shooting up drugs or buying too many beanie babies and all they need to do is maybe not buy so many beanie babies/save $20 a month for 2-3 months to pay them all off!

Then I began experiencing for myself all the health insurance horrors and stressors other families and individuals had been experiencing for years and only then was it clear how completely hosed private health insurance was and how god drat amazing socialized military medical insurance had been.

This is kind of a long derail, but the point is that there are many political allies that can be drawn upon from the military community as a large majority are essentially rational thinking logical acting somewhat socialist at their core. The whackjob conservatives are kind of an outlier and usually get stuck in poo poo jobs like military police/guards where they are only capable of causing minimal damage. Those that do vote conservative typically do so as Democrats are always associated with base closures, force drawdowns, Bay Area stereotypes, etc. even if that's not actually true. Additionally, upper class military officers often come from humble beginnings where they may now be pulling in $120k/year, but don't have a 'family business' waiting for them, or a guaranteed 'in' with Uncle John at E Corp after separating from service, or come from some billionaire family dynasty with alternative motivations. You can buy a seat at Yale or Harvard, but the military academies tend to not give a poo poo about what money you came from.

The real issue with getting the independent/conservative military vote is popping the bubble as most have no concept of the severity of domestic issues until getting out or retiring which makes them very susceptible to disinformation campaigns. It's full throttle this country is awesome, America is the best at everything, America gently caress yea until you see for yourself that everything is a massive garbage fire, and the leadership of most companies is anti-American as gently caress.

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 31, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

I literally ate a probation for predicting exactly this (extremists would start constantly picking dates for TEOTWAWKI based on nothing but their own collective fantasies) a few months ago.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 31, 2017

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The investigative journalism podcast Reveal did a great breakdown of how Pizzagate went from an internet thing to a fully weaponized piece of fake news.

https://www.revealnews.org/episodes/pizzagate-a-slice-of-fake-news/

You see this stuff now and just hope nobody gets hurt. The people who benefit from the truly batshit conspiracy theories don't give a moment's thought to what they're doing to people down the line.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Dick Trauma posted:

Here comes the next wave of lunacy:
That's been building for a while. QAnon is /pol/ gone full messianic prophet cult over some Kyoon-lite jackoff reading tea leaves.

Earlier article from a month ago, I'm not sure when it actually started, and I'm too lazy to look it up because I can only read like 5 tweets on the #FollowTheWhiteRabbit or #QAnon hashtags before my head starts to hurt. It's so much worse than PizzaGate.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 31, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

OneEightHundred posted:

That's been building for a while. QAnon is /pol/ gone full messianic prophet cult over some Kyoon-lite jackoff reading tea leaves.

I mean yeah, that is the inevitable endpoint of any group that experiences a sufficient amount of Compaction cycles.

I watched this poo poo play out on a small scale over a dozen times while I was involved with the early Otherkin community. Belief in our innate superiority, crediting ourselves with "inventing western civilization", obsessing over melee weapons, wearing fedoras and cheap dusters, clinical narcissists leading little cults of ultra-deluded fanatics, preparing ourselves for when we would rule society after TEOTWAWKI, collectively agreeing on a date for TEOTWAWKI when it wouldn't come fast enough, all of it. Exact same poo poo is playing out now- only instead of a few hundred deluded assholes it is millions and there are state actors intentionally feeding the fire as well.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 31, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

OneEightHundred posted:

/pol/ is a place primed for someone like this as it is full of people looking for the sort of meaning and validation grand conspiracy theories can provide.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Don't worry, any day now Demosthenes and Locke will unite all the internet nobodies behind Peter Wiggin and poo poo's gonna be awesome y'all.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Prester Jane posted:

I mean yeah, that is the inevitable endpoint of any group that experiences a sufficient amount of Compaction cycles.

I watched this poo poo play out on a small scale over a dozen times while I was involved with the early Otherkin community. Belief in our innate superiority, crediting ourselves with "inventing western civilization", obsessing over melee weapons, wearing fedoras and cheap dusters, clinical narcissists leading little cults of ultra-deluded fanatics, preparing ourselves for when we would rule society after TEOTWAWKI, collectively agreeing on a date for TEOTWAWKI when it wouldn't come fast enough, all of it. Exact same poo poo is playing out now- only instead of a few hundred deluded assholes it is millions and there are state actors intentionally feeding the fire as well.

Ugh the otherkin poo poo again. Go home Jane, you're drunk.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Chadderbox posted:

Ugh the otherkin poo poo again. Go home Jane, you're drunk.

Can't imagine why I would mention my experiences in the early Otherkin community as foreshadowing current events. Oh wait, maybe its because I know what the gently caress I am talking about and maybe you should listen to what I am saying instead of rolling your eyes because I used the word "Otherkin".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XIibwljn3Y

The assholes who would have been Otherkin 15-20 years ago with a couple dozen followers at best are now Alt-Righters with hundreds of thousands of subscribers. Its the exact same poo poo with the exact same kind of poo poo people- just a fuckload more of them and with Russia intentionally feeding their narratives.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Prester Jane posted:

I know what the gently caress I am talking about

no you don't. take your nonsense to your own thread, please.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Holy poo poo cool it on the drugs and conspiracy theories

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Why is it such a stretch to suggest that my experiences with an early group of extremely online weirdo's gives me insight into the current group of extremely online weirdo's? A huge portion of my Narrativist Framework is inspired by my experiences in the early Otherkin community. (hell my concept of the "Grand Narrative" was heavily inspired by the theory of a "story that everyone secretly believes" that an Otherkin cult leader I was associated used as a recruitment tool).

Like I fully agree that Otherkin are nutso weirdo's- but they happen to be the nutso weirdo's I was a part of and I am telling you that I have seen this exact same type of thing before. Its the same underlying emergent human behavior pattern playing out- just on a significantly larger scale this time.

I mean no one bats an eye at discussions/mockery of NaziFurs in this thread. Well Otherkin and NaziFurs are pretty damned close to being the exact same level of deluded weirdo living online in a collective fantasy world. (Their is a ton of overlap in the modern Otherkin and Furry communities after all.)

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 31, 2017

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Phobic Nest posted:

Don't worry, any day now Demosthenes and Locke will unite all the internet nobodies behind Peter Wiggin and poo poo's gonna be awesome y'all.

I just re-read Enders Shadow and this has encouraged me to continue with the whole series again :argh:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Prester Jane posted:

Why is it such a stretch to suggest that my experiences with an early group of extremely online weirdo's gives me insight into the current group of extremely online weirdo's? A huge portion of my Narrativist Framework is inspired by my experiences in the early Otherkin community. (hell my concept of the "Grand Narrative" was heavily inspired by the theory of a "story that everyone secretly believes" that an Otherkin cult leader I was associated used as a recruitment tool).

Like I fully agree that Otherkin are nutso weirdo's- but they happen to be the nutso weirdo's I was a part of and I am telling you that I have seen this exact same type of thing before. Its the same underlying emergent human behavior pattern playing out- just on a significantly larger scale this time.

I mean no one bats an eye at discussions/mockery of NaziFurs in this thread. Well Otherkin and NaziFurs are pretty damned close to being the exact same level of deluded weirdo living online in a collective fantasy world. (Their is a ton of overlap in the modern Otherkin and Furry communities after all.)

Gah! This is us right now:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Chadderbox posted:

Gah! This is us right now:

Can't explain cults and their behavior without talking about strange things and irrational behavior. I mean there is just no way around that.

Edit: And I mean this poo poo is all part of a larger pattern that just takes different forms depending on the particular whims of the people involved. The exact same poo poo plays out occasionally in extremely online video game communities as well.

Vice posted:

The bizarre story of how a young woman turned a group of video-game-loving misfits she met online into an abusive mini-cult.

The internet is full of strange stories—urban legends, paranoid fantasies, the accumulated folklore of a billion minds endlessly remixing in the digital ether. But there are few tales stranger than the case of the Final Fantasy VII house. The houses—there were several in succession—were the homes of a real-world roleplaying cult run by a woman whose fantasies left lives in tatters. It shows that even as accumulating friends online—and translating those online friendships to real-life ones—becomes more and more widespread, we still can't be totally sure of the person behind the monitor until we meet them. These online relationships can be important, especially to unhappy young people who feel out of place in their IRL surroundings, but they can still spiral out of control.

Many of the details of Syd's story are impossible to fully confirm. After he escaped, he recorded his and other's experiences in "A Public Warning" site that circulated widely online. According to the people VICE spoke to—Syd, other members of the FFVII House, and interested observers—those affiliated with the cult covered their tracks, deleting as many of their old blogs and message board posts as they could. The few people willing to talk about it, Syd included, asked me to use pseudonyms. The experiences they had at the house left them feeling traumatized, ashamed, and mistrustful. And the author of that trauma was the mini-cult's ringleader, "Joanna." (All names in this piece have been changed.)

Joanna was 20 years old when the FFVII house began in 2002, Syd told me, and had arrived in State College to live with her girlfriend, "Rachel." According to Syd and "McCullough," another former member, Joanna's background beyond that is tough to pin down: She went out of her way to obscure her origins, spinning tales of secret government programs and training camps in the desert. "Nate," a former friend of Joanna's, says that she spent time at Cross Creek Residential Treatment Center in La Verkin, Utah, a defunct reform school that has faced multiplelawsuits for its alleged brutal, widespread physical and psychological abuse of teenagers in the program. Supporting this is a LiveJournal post from 2004 by "Patricia," one of Joanna's roommates in a later incarnation of the FFVII house and a fellow participant in the Cross Creek program.

Joanna's mental instability, never properly treated, deteriorated after her stay at Cross Creek, according to Nate. She also had issues with her sexuality, Syd and McCollough said, explaining away her attraction to women by calling Rachel a reincarnated man. Both also said that Joanna claimed various occult powers, including the ability to "soulbond," or tap into multiple personalities at will. Some of these personalities were characters from anime or video games, particularly Final Fantasy VII. Perhaps the most famous JRPG of all time, Final Fantasy VII represented a landmark moment in gaming when it came out on PlayStation in 1997. It was a runaway hit, its various iterations eventually selling nearly 10 million copies and its success has been credited as the "ambassador not just for Final Fantasy, but for the entire genre of Japanese roleplaying games." The gaming site Ars Technica once wrote that the 3D graphics were akin to "people raised on the television (going to) the movie theater for the first time." IGN called it the 11th greatest RPG of all time.

The game's aesthetic influenced a generation of nascent Japanophiles, some of whom took their appreciation further than others and identified themselves as reincarnations of the spiky-haired characters. This had a precedent online, specifically in the "otherkin" community, where people claim to be animals, mythological spirits, or fictional characters inhabiting human bodies. Joseph Laycock, a professor of religious studies at Texas State University, says that otherkin status often functions as something closer to a personal identity. And despite the general scorn the internet holds for them, Laycock says, it's important to understand that people claiming the identity aren't necessarily crazy.

Their subsequent interactions were pleasant enough that at Christmas, Joanna and Rachel offered to put Syd up for a weekend and introduce him to some like-minded people. Syd accepted and bought a bus ticket from New York to State College. The two-bedroom apartment was a mess when he walked in, he recalled, covered in dirty laundry dusted with glitter. Joanna herself was unpredictable, he said, screaming in Rachel's face one minute, smiling warmly the next. Slowly, Syd realized that Joanna's talk of reincarnation, multiple personalities, and magic was not roleplaying—from what he could tell, she actually believed the stuff. But despite it all, Syd enjoyed himself—Joanna and Rachel were fun to goof around with, and he liked the people they introduced him to. Joanna bestowed FFVII-related nicknames upon all of her friends. There was "Aerys," a quiet girl Joanna had romantic designs on; an otherkin guy nicknamed "Cid"; and McCullough, a community college student from Maryland whose friendship with Rachel put her under Joanna's thumb. She opted to call Syd "Zack."

Throughout the spring of 2002, Syd kept in contact with them online and often took the bus over to stay for weekends. The FFVII house at this time only consisted of three permanent residents, he said: Joanna, Rachel, and a male roommate Joanna had named "Gast" after a minor character from the game. But Joanna also played host to a revolving door of visitors she had met online. "Every single person who lived with her was named after a Final Fantasy character," recalls "Clark," an online friend of Joanna's from about this time. "She would talk about these people in really loving, warm words for a couple months, a couple weeks, and then just like a switch, something would happen and she'd say, 'Oh, this person is evil, they had to leave my house.'"

Strange things began happening when Syd visited. In one case, he said, Joanna began pressuring Syd and Aerys to hook up, since their respective characters were romantically connected in the game. When they refused to take the hint, she loudly announced that she'd added fistfuls of aphrodisiacs to their food. During another trip, Joanna and Rachel locked Syd in a soundproof practice room in the Penn State music building, hoping it would jar loose memories of his past lives. They only released him after he started panicking. One time, Syd said, Joanna insisted on doing a past-life regression on a college friend he had brought along for a visit, which involved lying on the floor in a dark room as Joanna chanted and music played on a loop—a selection from the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack called "The Nightmare Is Just Beginning."

But none of this was enough to dissuade Syd from moving in when Joanna offered to put him up that summer. His relationship with his mother was unraveling, he said, and the prospect of going home to Brooklyn and his family for months on end held no appeal. He moved in his belongings and pet rat, got a job at a local supermarket to help with the rent, and settled in.

Things deteriorated quickly. Joanna stopped leaving the apartment and quit her babysitting job, Syd says, relying on him to pay the rent. Multiple members of the FFVII house told me she relentlessly pressed them for money, all of which went either toward expensive food or an endless succession of "magical" toys like wands and angel figurines. Syd told me he was required to bring home day-old food and coupons from the supermarket, a practice that landed him in trouble with his bosses. Every night they ate $10 steaks and gatorade, a diet that made Syd sick. The apartment, already in shambles, devolved into a morass of laundry, toys, and glitter. Joanna wore the same clothing every day and rarely bathed, McCollough said, preferring to anoint herself with oils. Joanna and Rachel screamed and fought constantly, alternating physical abuse with noisy makeup sex. Guests were made to clean occasionally, but nobody took the trash out, and soon the air was rank with the odor of sex and rotting meat.

Same basic kind of stuff playing out with the same basic kinds of broken people involved (even involving several Otherkin as well), just with a FF7 theme instead of Otherkin or "Meme Magic"/Pepe. All I am saying is that there is a recognizable emergent behavior pattern in all this that has nothing to do with the specifics of whatever deluded story a given group is telling themselves- my emphasis here is the idea that those stories all use the same underlying structure and always radicalize along the same predictable lines. The specifics of whatever fantasy system is used to construct the delusional reality don't really matter that much.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 31, 2017

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Prester Jane posted:

Can't explain cults and their behavior without talking about strange things and irrational behavior. I mean there is just no way around that.

There's gotta be a way to do this without the Otherkin references. I really think you may be underestimating how they undermine people's ability to take your writing seriously. It would behoove you to leave that particular topic out of it even if it informed your ideas.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

It's a perfectly valid observation. It's not PJ's fault that you switch off as soon as you see a word you don't like.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Sweevo posted:

It's a perfectly valid observation. It's not PJ's fault that you switch off as soon as you see a word you don't like.

Fair enough. I'm just offering constructive criticism. I guarantee I'm not the only person who switches off when they see that particular word.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Chadderbox posted:

Fair enough. I'm just offering constructive criticism. I guarantee I'm not the only person who switches off when they see that particular word.

Why exactly is that in your case? What makes my honesty about the specific group of wierdo's I was involved with being Otherkin cause you to switch me off? It could have just as easily been any number of other goofy little groups or cults. Its not like I am proud of what I was a part of or anything. I'm just trying to explain what happened and how cult environments function.

I'm not presently an Otherkin and I have never hid the fact that I was involved with a number of cults before finally hitting my personal rock bottom. Most of those cults happened to be Otherkin, under different circumstances it could have just as easily been the above described Final Fantasy 7 House. (Read the edit in my previous post please.)

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

Why exactly is that in your case? What makes my honesty about the specific group of wierdo's I was involved with being Otherkin cause you to switch me off? It could have just as easily been any number of other goofy little groups or cults. Its not like I am proud of what I was a part of or anything. I'm just trying to explain what happened and how cult environments function.

I'm not presently an Otherkin and I have never hid the fact that I was involved with a number of cults before finally hitting my personal rock bottom. Most of those cults happened to be Otherkin, under different circumstances it could have just as easily been the above described Final Fantasy 7 House. (Read the edit in my previous post please.)

It's just entirely uninteresting, boring and unoriginal, to be honest. If I wanted to read Prester Jane ramblings I could go to the Prester Jane thread.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Holy poo poo, Trump Thread, pull up. Pull up pull up PULL UP GAH

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Chadderbox posted:

I guarantee I'm not the only person who switches off when they see Prester Jane post.

FTFY

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

4chan.How I dearly wish it was possible to just burn a website to the ground, then pour gasoline on the ashes and set that on fire.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/947453152806297600

The cantaloupe cretin is on topic for once.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/31/middleeast/iran-protests-sunday/index.html

I poo poo you not, this tweet went up as I was typing this. :stare: He knows. That was a little weird.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/947458942719979520

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

You fuckers are extremely hard on PJ.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

KickerOfMice posted:

4chan.How I dearly wish it was possible to just burn a website to the ground, then pour gasoline on the ashes and set that on fire.

Counterpoint- ⁴Chan is SA's Original Sin and we must bear it's burden without flinching

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug

enraged_camel posted:

You fuckers are extremely hard on PJ.

It's extremely grating and off-putting. No well reasoned arguments, just lovely ad hominems.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Prester Jane posted:

I don't think I have a rational answer for this. I see the word and my brain screams at me to stop reading the rest.

Edit: I just read your edit and it really reinforces my gut instinct that tells me not to read more. There's something really off-putting about humans that either want to pretend or actually think they're not regular humans. I get that you went through it and it informs your ideas, I just think if your goal is to talk about cults that you can do so in a way that doesn't make 90% of people roll their eyes on the first sentence and skip your post. Addressing enraged_camel's point, I'm not trying to be mean. I truly get a visceral reaction when I hear or read that word and I know I'm not the only one. I'm not saying stop posting, I'm saying "Please, for the love of God, stop posting about Otherkins in the Trump thread".

Spergin Morlock fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Prester Jane posted:

Why exactly is that in your case? What makes my honesty about the specific group of wierdo's I was involved with being Otherkin cause you to switch me off?
Any time a person makes an in-depth post, the reader has to weigh two opposing factors. One is the value, to them, of the content of the post. The other is the cognitive load associated with the way that content has been framed.

That cognitive load is one of the reasons that some people are turned off by, say, particular types of academic discourse, because, for instance, the jargon is unfamiliar to them. Other people find it less difficult, because the jargon is one they're familiar with from their own studies, or experience, because it's shared with other people, or sources or works, so the effort they put into mastering it is transferable to other situations.

Your posts have a high cognitive load associated with them. More problematic is the impression that you are strongly averse to engaging with any of the other work on the same topic you're interested in. That's obviously your call, but it means that your jargon is entirely yours. Your anecdotes are entirely about you and your experiences, many of them in a cliched high-jargon micro-community. The reader has the choice of learning Prester Janeology, or of reading things that are part of a multi-party conversation, i.e., a lot of other things in this thread.

This is obviously not a problem for everyone - you've got your own thread, and clearly have an audience. But it is a problem for some people, in a way that's not really a value judgement on you - I'm not making any value statements about the content of your posts. They're just costly, in a way that's not true of a lot of other discourse.

• Locked thread