Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just get a cheap heated jacket liner. Good for all sorts of temperature shifts. Put your rain liner in when it gets "really cold" like the low 40s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Glove liners also go a long way. I use Thermasilk liners but something like merino wool or whatever would probably work just as well. Even my ultra-thin Thermasilks change feel in a big way, so keep that in mind.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A windblocking layer would probably solve that and a decent baselayer with it would definitely solve that but tbh it was only 50 degrees lol

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

2 teaspoons of cement in your morning fair trade organic coffee for two weeks and you'll be set.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

nsaP posted:

A windblocking layer would probably solve that and a decent baselayer with it would definitely solve that but tbh it was only 50 degrees lol

I agree, when I'm caught out with summer gear but need more warm, I break out the pvc rain suit. I dunno if you have one in California but they roll up very small. As was said toss some glove liners in too and bam.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

Glove liners also go a long way. I use Thermasilk liners but something like merino wool or whatever would probably work just as well. Even my ultra-thin Thermasilks change feel in a big way, so keep that in mind.
Do they affect your glove fit much? My gloves fit well with nothing else underneath them, and my hands are the main issue for cold-weather riding.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Fifty Three posted:

Do they affect your glove fit much? My gloves fit well with nothing else underneath them, and my hands are the main issue for cold-weather riding.

May sound stupid but it depends on how your current gloves fit. I have a pair of Held summer gloves that are tight enough that I wouldn't even bother with a liner under them. I have a pair of Rev'It summer gloves that have enough room to fit a thin merino or silk liner, no problem. You can try wearing a disposable nitrile work glove as a liner, too. I just don't like them because they make my hands sweat like crazy.

Beach Bum is correct though, you lose a surprising amount of feel even with a thin liner glove.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

My Held's are pretty tight; the silk liners do make a wee bit tighter and it's harder to move your hand (thus the aforementioned loss in tactile sensitivity and "feel") but they more easily slide on and off. My Held's are lined, so if you're going into bare leather your experience may differ.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I don't notice a difference between having liners in my gloves or not. Sucks, because I can't seem to find a solution to my fingertips going painfully numb every morning. I've got heated grips, winter gloves, liners, and it's still not enough. I'm probably going to pick up some hand guards soon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My dude you need these: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/962/15583/Tusk-Hand-Mitts

I have ridden in below freezing temps with mine and my hands were the only thing that stayed warm

For the price especially they are worlds above everything else for warmth. I have run the same pair on my Bandit, DRZ and SV and they have been phenomenal.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My dude you need these:

I may pick up a pair, thanks. Would have to poke a hole in one for my bar end mirror though. I was gonna do barkbusters but this looks more effective and way cheaper.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I have holes poked in mine for mirrors, it works fine.

Protip: cut the hole by snipping an X in the fabric with sidecutters, then hit the X cut with a lighter for a second to melt the exposed fabric a tiny bit so it doesn’t unravel on you. I have been running mine like that for years and they have held up great.

I seriously can’t recommend them enough. Having a windproof pocket of warm air to put your hands in is unbelievably nice. On my Bandit I had grip warmers plus these and I would just turn the grip warmers off after 5 minutes or so, or my hands would start to sweat

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Sweet!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My wife got me a gift certificate to Socal Supermoto for xmas, looks like a lot of fun. It'll be my first time on a track, first time on dirt, and my first time on a supermoto, so hopefully I'm not the shittiest rider there. I'm pretty sure every bike is a drz400sm, so I'll get to see if the favorite bike of the forum lives up to its reputation. The gift certificate even says braaaap on it, can't go wrong with that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Dude please post your experience with that, I’ve been thinking about doing it for a while

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
BlackMK4 went to a SoCal Supermoto class a while back and had a good time with it. I haven't been to one yet; it's on my to-do list for next year.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

My wife got me a gift certificate to Socal Supermoto for xmas, looks like a lot of fun. It'll be my first time on a track, first time on dirt, and my first time on a supermoto, so hopefully I'm not the shittiest rider there. I'm pretty sure every bike is a drz400sm, so I'll get to see if the favorite bike of the forum lives up to its reputation. The gift certificate even says braaaap on it, can't go wrong with that.

Nice, I asked for this as well but don’t appear to have received it. Maybe for my birthday if I’m lucky. Would like to hear your trip report after you go.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Y'all probably don't remember some time ago I asked advice about repairing a frayed wire on my ignition. I'm a lazy bum and apparently terrible at visual inspection, because I only just now yanked the wire further out to take a closer look. Spoiler alert: the wire wasn't frayed.

FUUUUUUUUCK :argh:

Seems like when I was in Bristol for FIVE loving MINUTES ALMOST A YEAR AGO some oval office tried to hotwire my bike and gave up halfway through.

Although this might have even been there when I bought the bike, because I feel like I remember noticing the cut in the shroud earlier and thinking it was weird that the ignition wires had two separate lengths of cladding on them :downsgun:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The moral of this story is I'm the least attentive bike owner and nobody should wave at me :suicide:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Protip: just take the triple clean like clamp off and fix it, you don't need to take the actual barrel our or anything.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Renaissance Robot posted:

The moral of this story is I'm the least attentive bike owner and nobody should wave at me :suicide:

Don't worry I don't wave at anyone.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm in Vietnam and the scooter culture here is insane, I have no idea how I haven't seen dead people in the street yet. I knew there would be whole families with babies on one scooter, but the weirdest thing is seeing all the girls sitting side saddle on the back. I'm still not sure why it's all scooters rather than 150cc bikes, seems like scooters would be more expensive.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 2, 2018

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yes, the skin grafts were painful, but my lungs feel GREAT

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I'm probably in the minority but, God drat it, Kawasaki. I get it, the Z900RS is amazing and cool and beautiful. Where are my Ninja 400 reviews?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hey Jim Silly-balls, thanks for the recommendation on the Tusk hand muffs. I wish they were an inch or two longer, the right one is tightened down on my brake fluid reservoir, but I tried them out for about an hour today. Mostly 40-60mph, temp was in the low 30s, just wearing my regular riding gloves. My fingertips didn't start to get cold until right around the end of the ride. I don't usually ride when it's below freezing so I'm really happy with how they did for the price.

Also you guys were right about the Power Commander. I was content with how the bike ran without it, but I hooked it up before this ride and it's a noticeable difference.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tyro posted:

Hey Jim Silly-balls, thanks for the recommendation on the Tusk hand muffs. I wish they were an inch or two longer, the right one is tightened down on my brake fluid reservoir, but I tried them out for about an hour today. Mostly 40-60mph, temp was in the low 30s, just wearing my regular riding gloves. My fingertips didn't start to get cold until right around the end of the ride. I don't usually ride when it's below freezing so I'm really happy with how they did for the price.

Nice! :hfive:

Glad they worked out. For the cost, those mitts are really hard to beat. I’ve ridden mine down to about 35 degrees, but not all frosted over like that. Wow!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Waiting for that seat to warm up must have been pleasant.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I used the car windshield scraper/brush to clean the seat off. Photo was taken about 2 hours before the ride so it had warmed up a bit by then. Wasn't too bad actually.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Some rear end in a top hat on my morning commute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_FlSmFgT2Q

Not a huge deal, but, still... Some people find new ways to surprise me.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The best kind of lesson really. You learned something new that now won't catch you out in the future and you didn't have to wipe out to learn it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Indeed. I have made this turn 100s of times, and have never seen anyone do this. It was just so weird. But now I know.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Pretty sure that was on you, didn't stop at the right-on-red while Mr Z had a green left arrow.

I just got dinged like $100 for the right-on-red thing via a camera ticket.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Z crossed solid white lines to make that turn, though. There's another entrance a bit further down that they probably should have used instead that gives them an opportunity to stop, indicate, and check their mirrors for people in the exact position as the bike's.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The dedicated right-turn lane that Pokie is using is uncontrolled. The red signal that you see is for the three lanes to the left -- a signal controlling the turning lane would have to be to the right of the lane, perhaps on the pole sticking out of the sidewalk. He has to yield to other cars already in that lane, but doesn't have to stop.

However, the Nissan isn't supposed to be in the turning lane in the first place. The driver had to cross a double white line to enter the lane, which is never legal. Furthermore, a driver who wants to change lanes is responsible for making sure that the lane they're merging into is clear -- the driver who's staying put is not required to yield space for them to move into. So the Nissan was doubly at fault here. He should have waited until the lines merged into a single one (which you are allowed to cross, though it is discouraged) or disappeared (where merging is safe and legal).

Dielectric posted:

Pretty sure that was on you, didn't stop at the right-on-red while Mr Z had a green left arrow.

I just got dinged like $100 for the right-on-red thing via a camera ticket.

Not stopping at a red light before turning right when it's a normal T-intersection is of course a violation; you always have to stop for a red light, no matter what. Seems like a ton of people don't know that. A few years ago I was driving home, stopped at the red light at an empty intersection before turning right, and heard a loud tire squeal and horn blast from the car behind me which obviously hadn't planned on stopping. As I turned, she drove around me to the left and made the turn at the same time, powering past at full throttle, leaning on her horn and giving me the finger the whole time. :allears:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I can't wait for ubiquitous self driving cars

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I wonder what percentage of people would get self-driving cars if they were relatively flawless.

Maybe someday we'll all be lanesplitting and swerving around robot cars while shaking our fists at the remaining analog drivers that still do unpredictable poo poo.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I love my miata but I would switch to a self driving electric golf cart thing in a heartbeat. riding bikes is way way more interesting anyway

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
100 PERCENT OF PARTICIPANTS

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

I can't wait for ubiquitous self driving cars

Same. Just imagining the neat rows of cars, all staying right in the middle of their lanes with millimeter precision, bristling with and collision sensors and behaving with total predictability makes me wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

A MIRACLE posted:

I love my miata but I would switch to a self driving electric golf cart thing in a heartbeat. riding bikes is way way more interesting anyway

Today I got on the motorway just after a huge accident but thanks to being able to filter I was only an hour late for work. Some cars didn't get let off the motorway until 2pm.

Bikes rule.