Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Casey Finnigan posted:

Well, man, I don't know what to tell you. If everyone who claimed they couldn't stand PJ's posts just put her on ignore then the derails wouldn't happen. Personally I don't usually bother to read PJ's posts. There are plenty of posters that I don't usually like to read but I don't have to throw a temper tantrum whenever they post.

If we all have to ignore someone whose posts go unread why don't they just stop filling the thread with posts everyone is ignoring? Seems much more simple for one person to gently caress off with their Otherkin bullshit than to require literally everyone else to tip toe around the posts. There is already a thread for otherkin stuff, post it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Prester Jane posted:

There are no simpler ways for me to communicate my ideas. :shrug: Cults are complicated and explaining how cults function and how movements composed of interlocking cults interact on large scales is going to require a huge cognitive load no matter what I do. Also there are just no existing systems of ideas that I could use to convey my ideas without also requiring just as much (if not more) cognitive load from explaining what these concepts mean and how they connect together.

Unique words to describe unique concepts is okay but everytime you create a new word you create a compaction cycle event where softer believers in your philosophy are constantly ejected by not keeping up on the ever growing vocabulary

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

ascii genitals posted:

If we all have to ignore someone whose posts go unread why don't they just stop filling the thread with posts everyone is ignoring? Seems much more simple for one person to gently caress off with their Otherkin bullshit than to require literally everyone else to tip toe around the posts. There is already a thread for otherkin stuff, post it there.

The thread quietly tolerates racist trolls and idiots who openly admit they're posting as an obnoxious gimmick. Learn to deal with one poster who doesn't even post that much in the thread, even if they say the bad internet words you can't stand.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Prester Jane, I have the same issue as the other posters complaining and the problem is summed up exactly by what Cefte posted. And I don't have any animosity towards you, I rather like you and many of the things you've posted in the past.

The simple problem is that your posts are full of a jargon that is specific to you and a framework you've created. There was a time earlier on where I struggled to translate what you meant by

Narrativist
Compaction Cycle

and now

Otherkin

but these terms do not appear elsewhere and do not have a standard meaning outside your framework. I forgot what they meant a while ago and now no longer care, and when I see them, yeah my eyes to glaze over and I move on.

If you post things that either require you to append a glossary specific to you to each post (you should actually try this as an exercise, at least for these three terms), it's a problem.

Alternatively you should try, as an exercise, to take your last long effortpost and see if you could write it up without using any of those terms in a way that someone who had never met you or read anything you'd written could understand it. If you are unable to do that, you have a big problem.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

ascii genitals posted:

Her posts don't go unread, and it's a lot more grating to manually ignore or scroll past twenty separate people who absolutely cannot stop whining than it is to ignore or scroll past one person.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
PJ, I've been following your posts for a long time and generally find them pretty interesting.

Your previous otherkin post though did make me roll my eyes a bit, but on reflection I think it was a combination of my biases and a poor understanding of how the two subjects related. At the time it really felt like you were reaching.

I think it'd help to explain what exactly an otherkin community is before you do your comparison, but it'll be tricky because those communities are so loving batshit that most ppl safely dismiss them without a second thought. I don't spend time analyzing the lone tinfoil-wearing crackpot on the corner, why bother to do the same with some small group of internet weirdos?

There's also the issue of peer-review and/or empirical testing for your ideas, which you can't claim at the moment. I'd like nothing more for you to be able go to school and build upon your ideas with other knowledgeable ppl (and maybe actually publish something).

Talking about otherkin in the Trump thread though is p off topic and feels like (at best) a loose connection at a glance.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Prester Jane posted:

Because what I am talking about is directly related to what is occurring in Trump's base and the Alt-Right.

What you're talking about is related to your ideas of what's happening in Trump's base and the alt-right. Otherkin communities in actuality don't have much directly to do with the topic of Trump. You've been told by more than one poster that they don't want to discuss that topic here, that they avoid forums that typically do, and don't appreciate you bringing it up here when you do have your own thread to dive deep on your ideas. Just because you don't want to hear it doesn't mean you're being personally attacked. I'll say it again: Please stop trying to shoehorn otherkin discussions in to the Trump thread.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
A New Years Resolution for TrumpThread: Stop loving Posting About Posting/Posters. One weird trick to stop derails, mods hate it!

In other news:
This does move down a path that we ought to find frightening.
https://twitter.com/john_vandiver/status/946888366003556352

Not because of :biotruths: and the feminist cabal ruining careers, but:
https://twitter.com/FPWellman/status/947093723481083904

Also
Looks a hell of a lot like a nearmiss in Houston:
https://twitter.com/jacobkprc/status/947463645759451136

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Arsenal-found-in-resident-s-room-in-Hyatt-Regency-12464555.php

tif.txt posted:

Staff at the Hyatt Regency Houston called for police around 1:30 a.m. for help handling a highly intoxicated man at the hotel bar.

At first, security at the 1200 Louisiana hotel tried sending the argumentative guest to his room, but he started fighting with them, officials said. So security called the Houston police.

The first officer planned to arrest him for trespassing, but discovered the man was drunk and belligerent.

When the officer spotted ammunition lying around the man's hotel room, he decided to call for backup.

While gathering up the suspect's belongings, police reportedly found an AR-15, a shotgun and a handgun, with many rounds of ammunition.

Investigators are waiting to talk to the unruly guest and figure out why he showed up to the hotel with multiple guns. He's facing charges of trespassing and unlawful carry.

"He's intoxicated so they won't be able to interview him till he's sobered up a bit," Lt. Gordon MacIntosh said early Sunday.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

pumpinglemma posted:

Her posts don't go unread, and it's a lot more grating to manually ignore or scroll past twenty separate people who absolutely cannot stop whining than it is to ignore or scroll past one person.

Maybe put everyone except Prester Jane on ignore, that seems like a solution right?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Trivia posted:

I think it'd help to explain what exactly an otherkin community is before you do your comparison

It would be great if she did that in the thread dedicated to her thoughts and ideas rather than here in the Trump thread where it's off topic aside from her associations only she makes.

Edit: Also, I can see I'm starting to be one who is irritating people so this'll be my last post about it.

Spergin Morlock fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 31, 2017

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Holy poo poo. At least they caught him before something bad happened. It wasn't a very smart man getting trashed in the bar whilst planning to do something like that, then again, planning to do something like that wouldn't necessarily be done out of smarts either.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

another second amendment win for our big boy president.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol bragging about the second amendment the year the worst massacre in modern american history happened.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/947490124719443970

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you'd think after columbine they'd have been done with their gun massacres.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

you'd think after columbine they'd have been done with their gun massacres.

Colorado loving loves gun massacres

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Legalized weed is a gateway drug to guns.

https://twitter.com/JoeBerkowitz/status/947227549192589312

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

pumpinglemma posted:

Also, people were empty-quoting the John Galt speech not even two days ago and yet nobody gave a poo poo about that. I don't get it :shrug:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Colorado loving loves gun massacres

littleton is where columbine is tho.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mierenneuker posted:

Also, people were empty-quoting the John Galt speech not even two days ago and yet nobody gave a poo poo about that. I don't get it :shrug:

fwiw that sort of low effort annoying and useless garbage shitposting should warrant a probate

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

skylined! posted:

fwiw that sort of low effort annoying and useless garbage shitposting should warrant a probate

Mods have abandoned this thread like God has abandoned the Earth

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

skylined! posted:

really the thread should just be closed

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

skylined! posted:

Did you report it? Because I've noticed a lot of old lovely posts that get talked about like this haven't been reported when I go to report them. Which would explain why they go unpunished. I it only got empty quoted twice, which is way better than I feared when I first saw it.

The real question is, how big is Trump's cult really? I think the actual weirdo cultists is probably a relatively tiny number who are all extremely online and magnifying their voice with the help of botnets, vs the regular old racists who just identify as team R and think everyone's out to take all their hard earned retirement away and give it to refugees.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Planets at least have life giving suns to orbit. We circle a howling void instead.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Trivia posted:

Your previous otherkin post though did make me roll my eyes a bit, but on reflection I think it was a combination of my biases and a poor understanding of how the two subjects related.

I'll admit to falling into this trap when I first read PJs stuff too. I think the problem is that part of SA's history in the early days was ragging on furries and otherkin and other internet weirdos, and it fools you into thinking they are all the same thing: That if furries are internet weirdos who want to be a fox, then otherkin are just furries but with vampires and angels instead of foxes and glitter dogs. It focusses on the what while assuming that the how and the why must be the same when in reality it's possible that both groups ended up at the same destination but arrived there by totally different routes, and don't actually have all that much in common.

nikki ashton
Jun 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This morning I'm giving thanks that a couple of cops were mindlessly shot.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sweevo posted:

I'll admit to falling into this trap when I first read PJs stuff too. I think the problem is that part of SA's history in the early days was ragging on furries and otherkin and other internet weirdos, and it fools you into thinking they are all the same thing: That if furries are internet weirdos who want to be a fox, then otherkin are just furries but with vampires and angels instead of foxes and glitter dogs. It focusses on the what while assuming that the how and the why must be the same when in reality it's possible that both groups ended up at the same destination but arrived there by totally different routes, and don't actually have all that much in common.

Otherkin are in many ways what many people think that Furries are.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

boner confessor posted:

really the thread should just be closed

As long as US Pol remains an endless circle jerk about who is the most pure leftist this thread had value as the place to discuss political news.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The thread should be closed at midnight and be replaced with Trump Thread III: Infrastructure Year

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Two page details about PJ are far more annoying that scrolling past "this post has been ignored."

Anyways, Trump is gonna take and attempted revolution in Iran as an open invitation to invade and that's terrifying.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

pumpinglemma posted:

C'es ne pas une emptyquote.

Serious, the sheer loving vitriol directed at PJ is something I've only seen directed towards a few other posters (Koalas March, Tiny Brontosaurus), and it's always lovely and fairly disturbing how obvious it is.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
There was a multi-day derail about cellphones being a luxury, a full day derail on Elon Musk and Great Man Theory, a full day derail about rocket science in general, all while actual US Political Events were fresh and available for discussion. We take seriously the guy who thinks the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution is something cool and to be emulated. We take seriously the dude who uses /slash marks/ instead of italics. We take seriously that dude who can’t spell or use punctuation but showed his rear end all weekend. We take seriously people who defend Bitcoin, cling to opinions despite being shown facts, and accuse about ten different posters of being Snowball MyInternetGirlfriend. But god forbid the cult survivor post about cult thinking, you know?

I get it. The first real SA Forums Thing, a place where movements are nearly old enough to buy cigarettes, was against furries/otherkin. We roll eyes because we always historically have rolled eyes. Rolling eyes is what SA was founded on. But in the thread where this place becomes USPOL pre-Nov 2016, where just about any topic can drown out the theoretical base of discussion, the only person who gets shouted down without fail is Prester Jane.

The topics she brings to the table are more germane to our increasingly cult-like political climate than anything that’s come up as a derail this week.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Two page details about PJ are far more annoying that scrolling past "this post has been ignored."

Anyways, Trump is gonna take and attempted revolution in Iran as an open invitation to invade and that's terrifying.

Not likely.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Your Boy Fancy posted:

There was a multi-day derail about cellphones being a luxury, a full day derail on Elon Musk and Great Man Theory, a full day derail about rocket science in general, all while actual US Political Events were fresh and available for discussion. We take seriously the guy who thinks the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution is something cool and to be emulated. We take seriously the dude who uses /slash marks/ instead of italics. We take seriously that dude who can’t spell or use punctuation but showed his rear end all weekend. We take seriously people who defend Bitcoin, cling to opinions despite being shown facts, and accuse about ten different posters of being Snowball MyInternetGirlfriend. But god forbid the cult survivor post about cult thinking, you know?

I get it. The first real SA Forums Thing, a place where movements are nearly old enough to buy cigarettes, was against furries/otherkin. We roll eyes because we always historically have rolled eyes. Rolling eyes is what SA was founded on. But in the thread where this place becomes USPOL pre-Nov 2016, where just about any topic can drown out the theoretical base of discussion, the only person who gets shouted down without fail is Prester Jane.

The topics she brings to the table are more germane to our increasingly cult-like political climate than anything that’s come up as a derail this week.

As Cefte explained, thinking is hard for many people.

I also think there's and issue with people blaming posters for the derails that follow their posts, even when it isn't on them at all. IE "stop posting because I'm so tired of reading people tell you to stop posting" but with no awareness of the irony.

Trump definitely just wants to start a war, any war, so he can ride the wave of jingoistic praise. He wants his own "mission accomplished" moment.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think Prester Jane brings a unique and valuable perspective to the thread and I'd regret seeing her quit posting because she gets shouted down every time she comes in here.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Taerkar posted:

The thread should be closed at midnight and be replaced with Trump Thread III: Infrastructure Year

It should be Infrastructure week, then on 7 Jan crossed out for month then year

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Your Boy Fancy posted:

The 1917 Bolshevik Revolution was rad as gently caress, though. Just like PJ. gently caress all the haters.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nosfereefer posted:

The 1917 Bolshevik Revolution was rad as gently caress, though. Just like PJ. gently caress all the haters.

Yeah because everything went really swell for Russia after that.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah because everything went really swell for Russia after that.

Capitalism is working wonders over there, I hear. :allears:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nosfereefer posted:

Capitalism is working wonders over there, I hear. :allears:

Nice whataboutism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nosfereefer posted:

Ah, yes, nothing as "rad" as a military coup by extremists preventing an elected Socialist government from taking place, followed by a reign of terror by secret police killing hundreds of thousands!

• Locked thread