Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Randy Pitchford should be nailed right to the wall for his bad calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Xenomrph posted:

A YouTube channel I follow posted up a cool retrospective on the canceled Aliens RPG video game, Aliens: Crucible

https://youtu.be/2KmwNIdkeZc

This got cancelled in favor of Gearbox’s Aliens: Colonial Marines. Whoops!

Don't bury the lede here - cancelled OBSIDIAN Aliens RPG.

CelticPredator posted:

Randy Pitchford should be nailed right to the wall for his bad calls.

Pitchford should be killed in the street and burned on a stack of tires.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
When I heard they cancelled Crucible to keep colonial Marines, I wanted to punch my monitor. Not literally, but I was so mad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Covok posted:

When I heard they cancelled Crucible to keep colonial Marines, I wanted to punch my monitor. Not literally, but I was so mad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I met Pitchford very very briefly when he was speaking at a GameStop conference and oh my God basically every light in which we regard him is true I hate that guy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Covok posted:

While I'm pissed that Colonial Marines got made in favor of Crucible, almost all of that is hindsight. As much as I'd love an Obsidian 'Aliens' RPG, I can see how Colonial Marines was the safer bet - and the game *could* have been loving awesome, even if there were a lot of the warning signs that things weren't going smoothly; the game's whole premise shifted pretty drastically from a more tactical "Rainbow Six: Aliens Edition" to a video game equivalent of 'Aliens 2: Now With More Guns And poo poo', complete with being set on the same planet and revisiting a bunch of locations like some kind of highlight reel of 'Aliens'.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They spent a really long time exactly duplicating the lighting and movement behaviors and quirks (both human and various Alien film aliens) in Aliens for Aliens: Colonial Marines, in 2008 and had lots of screenshots and big talk to show for it.

February 13th 2012:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Remember how the entire totally new and awesome official in cannon story hinged on Hicks somehow surviving and that was a major selling point of the game? But then instead of that actually being in the game it was a DLC you had to buy for an additional $9.99 after already getting bent over a barrel by having spent money on Aliens: Colonial Marines?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
And, in the end, it was just a really boring fanfiction story where tlaco was boarded by Weyland-Yutani and they wanted to get the alien for experiments and Hicks escaped and put a double it his pod and then flew off to expose Weyland-Yutani.

It was crap.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Covok posted:

And, in the end, it was just a really boring fanfiction story where tlaco was boarded by Weyland-Yutani and they wanted to get the alien for experiments and Hicks escaped and put a double it his pod and then flew off to expose Weyland-Yutani.

It was crap.
I'm still annoyed they didn't go with the original planned prologue/tutorial mission of the game: your squad gets deployed to investigate the recently-rediscovered 'Sulaco' drifting in space, you dock with it, the game gives you a rundown of the basic gameplay mechanics and controls while you get spooked by the spooky atmosphere of the familiar but ominously silent and empty spaceship, and you're led to believe that you're going to get jumped by a million Aliens at any possible second.... and instead there's nothing. The ship is empty. You find evidence that something happened (Bishop's legs, the acid burn near the cryopods, record of an EEV deployment) but otherwise you tag the Sulaco and you leave.

It would have taken an incredible amount of restraint.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hard for me to hate Pitchford because he tweeted a shitload of free golden key codes for Borderlands 2. Like a dog I was conditioned to love Randy Pitchford.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I'm still annoyed they didn't go with the original planned prologue/tutorial mission of the game: your squad gets deployed to investigate the recently-rediscovered 'Sulaco' drifting in space, you dock with it, the game gives you a rundown of the basic gameplay mechanics and controls while you get spooked by the spooky atmosphere of the familiar but ominously silent and empty spaceship, and you're led to believe that you're going to get jumped by a million Aliens at any possible second.... and instead there's nothing. The ship is empty. You find evidence that something happened (Bishop's legs, the acid burn near the cryopods, record of an EEV deployment) but otherwise you tag the Sulaco and you leave.

It would have taken an incredible amount of restraint.

That does remind me, Aliens TC, the infamous DOOM mod from back in the day did this. With lots of use of voice overs from the movie, etc. it does (as best as possible with 1994 DOOM modding technology) to replicate the shuttle landing and Apone and crew exploring the wrecked colony, the entire level has zero enemies but also gets you used to how the new assets make doors/etc. look and work and stuff. This was a huge huge huge deal in action game design of the time. Like Super Metroid has a similar opening areas build-up and was released in the same year. It was so awesome and intense at the time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Hard for me to hate Pitchford because he tweeted a shitload of free golden key codes for Borderlands 2. Like a dog I was conditioned to love Randy Pitchford.

Like most big publishers 2K would give us free copies of their major games since it would of course make it easier for us to be like "Yeah of course I have that game it owns you should buy it" and because of how many of their games we sell. But Pitchford was the only one who refused to actually announce that until he was able to stand on a stage and everyone cheered loud enough and acted excited enough that we were worthy of such a huge boon as if he was going to do that and then announce that no sorry y'all weren't excited enough for me being here therefore 2K Games will not give you this game. Trained like a dog indeed. But then upon playing it I realized how ripped off all 6,000 people attending that conference were and felt especially bad for anyone who spent money on it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 31, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

He's such a used car salesman piece of poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Duke Nukem Forever was all his and Gearbox's vision Gearbox is amazing only Gearbox is good enough to deliver Duke Nukem Forever the most incredible gaming event of this decade.

Duke Nukem Forever is released.

Actually Gearbox had little to do with Duke Nukem Forever's production that was all 3D Realms' fault, I'm shocked you're taking any action right now other than actively kissing my feet for being in charge of Gearbox and helping 3D Realms' deficient production take its first timid steps into the light.

Aliens: Colonial Marines will revolutionize first person shooter design with its intense variety of Alien AI each inspired by the alien's behavior a d design it will be a visual feast too all thanks to Gearbox and me, Randy Pitchford making sure the lighting engine is so good it will be indiscernible from the 1986 film Aliens.

Activision drops Aliens: Colonial Marines and Sega picks it up.

Aliens: Colonial Marines will revolutionize first person shooter design with its attention to plot and canon detail, letting it tell a great story while also pushing the entire Aliens franchise forward thanks to its smart use of both new and familiar characters. This is an OFFICIAL new chapter in the saga of Aliens that only I, Randy Pitchford and my demi-gods at Gearbox could possibly create.

Aliens: Colonial Marines is released.

Actually Gearbox's input on Aliens: Colonial Marines was quite limited and most of it was made by TimeGate Studios despite them having only worked on the game for about six months, obviously I, Randy Pitchford would never make such an awful game.

Battleborn is announced......

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Neo Rasa posted:

That does remind me, Aliens TC, the infamous DOOM mod from back in the day did this. With lots of use of voice overs from the movie, etc. it does (as best as possible with 1994 DOOM modding technology) to replicate the shuttle landing and Apone and crew exploring the wrecked colony, the entire level has zero enemies but also gets you used to how the new assets make doors/etc. look and work and stuff. This was a huge huge huge deal in action game design of the time. Like Super Metroid has a similar opening areas build-up and was released in the same year. It was so awesome and intense at the time.

Also great was that you lost all your weapons in the final level and the chainsaw from the normal game was modded into a power loader

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I cannot believe Obsidian made an Aliens RPG that was 80% complete where you can get implanted and you have to make the decision about keeping party members frozen and safe or potentially having them awake/get closer to the alien popping out judicially when their specialized skills are needed and it was cancelled for Randy loving Pitchford.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

brocked posted:

Also great was that you lost all your weapons in the final level and the chainsaw from the normal game was modded into a power loader

It was amazing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Aliens: Colonial Marines is released.

Actually Gearbox's input on Aliens: Colonial Marines was quite limited and most of it was made by TimeGate Studios despite them having only worked on the game for about six months, obviously I, Randy Pitchford would never make such an awful game.
That isn't the part that chaps my rear end, it's that he literally won't even acknowledge that it's a bad game.

Like, I'm a huge Aliens spin-off merchandise apologist and even I, with my bedrock-bottom standards when it comes to Aliens stuff, did in fact manage to eke out some semblance of fun out of Colonial Marines because I have Alien franchise stockholm syndrome and have been classically-conditioned to gobble up and enjoy anything with an Aliens logo on it, and there are certain discrete elements of the game that I'll genuinely defend (like the weapon and level design, and the level where you go inside the Derelict). But I'm still self-aware enough to recognize that the game was a broken, unfinished mess that in no way delivered on what the advertising and gameplay trailers promised, and I absolutely understand why people were royally pissed with the "finished" product.

This cinematic trailer that shows no gameplay whatsoever and makes fantastic use of the 'Moon' soundtrack, is one of my favorite game trailers ever. That's a legit excellent trailer that doesn't deserve to be tied to such a bad game.

The Escape and Survivor multiplayer trailers were great, too. I want to play whatever game those trailers are from, because it sure ain't 'Colonial Marines'.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's Peter Molyneux, but without a single one of his redeeming qualities.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

THE BAR posted:

He's Peter Molyneux, but without a single one of his redeeming qualities.

Yeah, Molenyeux at least has amusing ideas that make him an endearing figure despite his blatant cons.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

A YouTube channel I follow posted up a cool retrospective on the canceled Aliens RPG video game, Aliens: Crucible

https://youtu.be/2KmwNIdkeZc

This got cancelled in favor of Gearbox’s Aliens: Colonial Marines. Whoops!

Wow that sucks, lol gently caress Gearbox.

Wasn't this kinda like that "The Thing" game where you had to trust each other but it kinda failed at making that work and the game wasn't that good?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wow that sucks, lol gently caress Gearbox.

Wasn't this kinda like that "The Thing" game where you had to trust each other but it kinda failed at making that work and the game wasn't that good?

http://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/the-thing/1/

Don't ask me why I remembered this review from 16 years ago.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 2, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Thing game was pretty good for its time. funny mechanics and a total nonsense but enjoyable plot

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

alf_pogs posted:

The Thing game was pretty good for its time. funny mechanics and a total nonsense but enjoyable plot

The worst thing was probably how the soldier turning mechanic was solely based on moving past certain points to trigger. You could administer the blood test on a guy, telling you he's A-OK, then move across a room and suddenly bam, he was a goopy murder monster all along.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

THE BAR posted:

The worst thing was probably how the soldier turning mechanic was solely based on moving past certain points to trigger. You could administer the blood test on a guy, telling you he's A-OK, then move across a room and suddenly bam, he was a goopy murder monster all along.

Originally it wasn’t supposed to function that way, and the AI was supposed to trust you if it saw you killing Thing monsters, and slowly distrust you if you left their line of sight or showed that you didn’t trust them (e.g., by blood testing them and having it come back negative). You could also regain trust by burning a blood test kit to test yourself in front of them.
Also the chance of a teammate being secretly a Thing was supposed to be based on how much time they spend outside your line of sight, as well as a chance for them to get infected while fighting Thing monsters, and then they’d Thing-out at inopportune moments to catch you off guard, rather at scripted instances like in the final game.
All of this is actually still present in the game and can be re-enabled via some creative hex-editing.

The problem with the system is, on a long enough timeframe every NPC will either learn to distrust you and become hostile (forcing you to kill them) or they’ll become infected (forcing you to kill them), so in order to keep them from being a liability and murdering you, you’re better off executing every NPC as soon as you meet them.
This makes the game unwinnable because you need engineer NPCs to unlock certain doors.

The dev team couldn’t find a better way to implement the trust/infection system, so they had to dumb it down and make it largely scripted. It mostly came down to the game being more ambitious than the contemporary technology could accomplish, similar in a way to the Jurassic Park Trespasser game.

It’s been 15 years since the Thing game, I’d love to see what modern tech could do in terms of AI behavior, and graphically for depicting crazy Thing transformations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Man I got that Thing game the day it came out I was so hyped.

To me the trick with making a good Thing game is that it has to be low stakes. The implications of what would happen if the Thing reached populated parts of the earth (or hell even if it just up and left, for all we know it doesn't even want to be here) are of course extremely bad, but at the core what makes the movie really work is...

Isolated bleak atmosphere
Very disturbing effects not just because they're gross but because they're surprising and constantly changing
Focused, exceptionally strong small cast of characters

The Thing video game we got contains...

High stakes military conspiracy world threat nonsense plot
Boring creatures because they're very simplified and contorted to fit into already existing third person shooter enemy types and animations
Expendable, constantly changing cast of soldier archetype characters don't offer anything beyond repeating the same action/horror movie one-liners

Basically the minute they decided to make it an action game it was doomed to fail as a Thing game and, if anyone here plays it today for the first time, I have a feeling you'll agree with me that the first twenty minutes or so of the game (before you even actually have to shoot or encounter anything) are very strong and evocative of the film.

Also interesting because, note how all of the things they scaled back in the released game like the companion and thing behavior, the way fires could spread and burn down the entire facility, are all things that would have made for a shorter but intense and unpredictable game, which would have made it just like the movie The Thing!

And ideal Thing game to me would be way shorter and play more like demo for Resident Evil 7 or Soma or the original Way of the Samurai and barely have any player driven combat in it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was the Aliens to The Thing’s Alien.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CelticPredator posted:

It was the Aliens to The Thing’s Alien.
Seems like a missed opportunity to not have called it Things.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

david_a posted:

The proper Aliens-style sequel to The Thing is basically some Island of Lost Souls poo poo.

"You made us things! Not man! Not beast! THINGS!"

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

david_a posted:

I'm wrapping my brain around there being a universe where the movie Alien is instead called "Thing"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'd like to stop into the parallel universe with New World Pictures' Star Beast. Ya know, just for a peak.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

david_a posted:

A-yep.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Originally it wasn’t supposed to function that way, and the AI was supposed to trust you if it saw you killing Thing monsters, and slowly distrust you if you left their line of sight or showed that you didn’t trust them (e.g., by blood testing them and having it come back negative). You could also regain trust by burning a blood test kit to test yourself in front of them.
Also the chance of a teammate being secretly a Thing was supposed to be based on how much time they spend outside your line of sight, as well as a chance for them to get infected while fighting Thing monsters, and then they’d Thing-out at inopportune moments to catch you off guard, rather at scripted instances like in the final game.
All of this is actually still present in the game and can be re-enabled via some creative hex-editing.

The problem with the system is, on a long enough timeframe every NPC will either learn to distrust you and become hostile (forcing you to kill them) or they’ll become infected (forcing you to kill them), so in order to keep them from being a liability and murdering you, you’re better off executing every NPC as soon as you meet them.
This makes the game unwinnable because you need engineer NPCs to unlock certain doors.

The dev team couldn’t find a better way to implement the trust/infection system, so they had to dumb it down and make it largely scripted. It mostly came down to the game being more ambitious than the contemporary technology could accomplish, similar in a way to the Jurassic Park Trespasser game.

It’s been 15 years since the Thing game, I’d love to see what modern tech could do in terms of AI behavior, and graphically for depicting crazy Thing transformations.

Imagine if Creative Assembly got the license and produced something along the lines of A:I? Oh god that'd be amazing. I think they have the talent and the technology is now capable of pulling off what the original "The Thing" game wanted to do.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Creative Assembly is so awesome, like how versatile do you have to be to drop wildly different stuff like Medieval II: Total Warfare and Alien: Isolation and still have them be amazing.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Is Alien Isolation good?

Covok
May 27, 2013

sponges posted:

Is Alien Isolation good?

For the most part. It's a good game overall, but it drags in the middle. It feels like it really wanted to hit some kind of time quota when it would have been a lot better ending a lot sooner. Overall, it's a good game. Solid 8 out of 10 for everyone, 10 out of 10 for a fan of Alien.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sponges posted:

Is Alien Isolation good?

It's fuckin' awesome especially for how cheap it often is. Keep and eye on Steam and HumbleStore you'll see it with all the DLC for like $10 now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sponges posted:

Is Alien Isolation good?

No game has nailed the atmosphere of Alien (and the series) better than A:I has from the audio to the visuals; it's perfect and it's gameplay is legitimately tense and after 6~ playthroughs I still get sweaty palms when the god drat Alien is on the prowl. It's really, really good. The story isn't bad either and it feels AAA all the way through. I will admit that it does go on a bit too long and an average playthrough is 15 hours, even if you know where to go and what to do. My first playthrough was 19 hours I think and that's a bit long for a singleplayer FPS horror title.

Just don't play on Nightmare mode because the Alien just becomes an annoyance.