Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you cut out like 90 minutes out of both movies, you might end up with something workable.

Maybe 30 tops. Truncate that rathtar scene in tfa, take out the terrible handheld shot at the end of tfa, remove a few parts of the poescapades, trim down finn and Rose, you got something.

Speaking of length, how did tlj get called out for"bad pacing" while gotg2 goes on forever and is called better than the first. Just watched this morning and from the opening title, to the constant groot moments, it was just pointing to the last movie. Also, rooker is a child trafficker/accomplice to murder, yet he gets a viking funeral for rightfully dieing. And did anyone else pickup the not so subtle homages to Man of Steel's dual fathers. Down to artificial "hologram"dad and tough old gently caress who teaches by doing not by his words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
GOTG2 is crapola.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s one of my favorites of the year.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GOTG2 is crapola.

I wouldn't go that far. A lot of thw humor is really forced, which is a big weakness, but it's got some really great bits.

The biggest issue is that Thor: Ragnarok overshadowed it in every way by being completely amazing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hah, I liked Thor but compared to Guardians it felt over shadowed. Brains are weird.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It has nothing to do with brains and everything to do with heart. It's why people say "the movie made me feel a certain way," and not "this movie made me reevaluate my way of thinking."

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Ragnarok was easily the best if the Thor movies but it was by far my least favorite of the Marvel movies this year (with Spider-man probably being my favorite MCU movie period)

Like with Thor when it was being a van painting it was amazing and when Waititi was allowed to do his thing it was good but the rest seemed dull even by mcu standards and ratio was not where I would want it to be

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

GOTG2 had some strong scenes but boy did it drag once they got to Planet Kurt Russell.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GOTG2 is crapola.

pretty much, yeah, and i'll even mostly defend the first one.

Valerian was rad though, so we got at least one good space opera this year.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bushisms.txt posted:

Maybe 30 tops. Truncate that rathtar scene in tfa, take out the terrible handheld shot at the end of tfa, remove a few parts of the poescapades, trim down finn and Rose, you got something.

Speaking of length, how did tlj get called out for"bad pacing" while gotg2 goes on forever and is called better than the first. Just watched this morning and from the opening title, to the constant groot moments, it was just pointing to the last movie. Also, rooker is a child trafficker/accomplice to murder, yet he gets a viking funeral for rightfully dieing. And did anyone else pickup the not so subtle homages to Man of Steel's dual fathers. Down to artificial "hologram"dad and tough old gently caress who teaches by doing not by his words.

Batman murders/tortures a bunch of people of people in BvS, but Gordon doesn't try to arrest him in JL

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GOTG2 is crapola.

I wasn't blown away when we rented it, but then I gave it another look on Netflix and holy poo poo, it's a step down from the first in almost every respect. Tonally discordant throughout, and yeah, when they get to Planet Kurt Russell the pacing falls off a loving cliff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

pretty much, yeah, and i'll even mostly defend the first one.

Valerian was rad though, so we got at least one good space opera this year.

I thought Valerian would be about as good as the Channing Tatum goth werewolf movie but it was way better and funnier.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Davros1 posted:

Batman murders/tortures a bunch of people of people in BvS, but Gordon doesn't try to arrest him in JL

This is why dkrs premise is good on it's face, the corrupt cops lying to keep order, the execution is just questionable.

Not saying gotg2 is bad, it's just marvel is so definitely aiming for just cool comic book moments above all, they're really easy to check out of during. We did wonder what was up with ego saying he was trying to create bio life, then specifically says he wanted to be human, then afterwards he finds other life forms for the first time.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 31, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

bushisms.txt posted:

New editing project, Kwaste: Turn the force awakens and the last Jedi into a single epic. To practice while waiting for the vod release, do what Tarantino won't and make the whole bloody affair.

Sorry, next editing project is black-and-white Dracula: Dead and Loving It.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

The implication with nearly every single depiction of Batman is that he has the tacit support of the police (Batman: Year 100 is a big and really funny exception). The most prominent departure, The Dark Knight, makes a point to stirring music that you have to lie egregiously to keep Batman a hero forever.

K. Waste posted:

You know that reminds me. The black and white Nothing But Trouble kicked rear end.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

You know that reminds me. The black and white Nothing But Trouble kicked rear end.

Wasn't that also reframed to 4:3 and silent? Yeah, that was beast.

Come to think of it, what I actually really want to do is make a double feature of Wes Craven's Invitation to Hell and A Nightmare on Elm Street, with the latter pan-and-scanned to TV aspect ratio, and everything edited with commercial breaks from the year.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The implication with nearly every single depiction of Batman is that he has the tacit support of the police (Batman: Year 100 is a big and really funny exception). The most prominent departure, The Dark Knight, makes a point to stirring music that you have to lie egregiously to keep Batman a hero forever.

But as we're constantly reminded, BvS is "not your Batman", so whatever any previous iterations did or didn't do are off the table.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

But as we're constantly reminded, BvS is "not your Batman", so whatever any previous iterations did or didn't do are off the table.

The canonical Batman to me is Grant Morrison's Batman, where every single published Batman story actually happened, so this trick doesn't work on me.

K. Waste posted:

Come to think of it, what I actually really want to do is make a double feature of Wes Craven's Invitation to Hell and A Nightmare on Elm Street, with the latter pan-and-scanned to TV aspect ratio, and everything edited with commercial breaks from the year.

Invitation To Hell is really good. Also I don't know if Egbert Souse completed the project. But what he did show off was awesome.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Davros1 posted:

The police also murder and torture a bunch of people but they don't try to arrest themselves.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

What are my hosting options if I were to finish the Nothing But Trouble recut?

Part of why I stopped was that YouTube suspended my old college account permanently over copyright claims and I didn't want to lose my current one over goddamn Nothing But Trouble. Anyways, basically, I made it grayscale, edited out all dialogue (heard and seen) with few exceptions, and cropped the crappy fullscreen DVD to 16x9 (since it would have been widescreen in theaters).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
We almost got George Carlin as Scrooge in The Muppet Christmas Carol

http://mentalfloss.com/article/71757/14-things-you-might-not-know-about-muppet-christmas-carol

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Google Drive, I'd use a burner account.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

K. Waste posted:

:hfive:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Almost missed this post. I think that'll be awesome, even if Brooks did a great job of aping the look of Coppola's film.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
What're some good character tics? Im thinking along the lines of "i have to return some videotapes" and the father chopping wood in The VVitch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ricks burps and stammers.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

What're some good character tics? Im thinking along the lines of "i have to return some videotapes" and the father chopping wood in The VVitch.

Jules saying "motherfucker".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/GroovyBruce/status/947599931719630848

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spock raising his eyebrow and saying "fascinating," which was a fantastic little bit of expressionism that Nimoy brought to a stoic role.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

This would be incredible.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

C'mon son!

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
yo k waste your video about man of steel was awesome, thanks for making it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Happy new year Gregorian calendar using goons.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In GMT at least.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This would be incredible.

Perhaps he is Tarantino's lead for his ST.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Gyllenhaal’s blinking in Prisoners.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What was the reason rule for for hanging posters up close to the ceiling again?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gatts posted:

Perhaps he is Tarantino's lead for his ST.

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around this being A Thing: A JJ Abrams-produced, Tarantino-directed Star Trek written by the who scripted The Revenant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
2017 was the year where I stopped posting about movies in this movie forum with any level of substance, and I'm glad to say it has not lowered my posting quality whatsoever. Here' wishing all you gentle lovely goons a happy 2018!

• Locked thread