Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erg
Oct 31, 2010

5) Fate/stay night Movie: Heaven's Feel - I. Presage Flower
The movie fuckin' ruled and I forgot enough about Heaven's Feel that I got excited for all the twists again.
4) Konosuba S2
Still super funny, Aqua's followers being dirt garbage is probably the most telegraphed joke in the world but I still loved it
3) Land of the Lustrous
Really well done and put together, the show does a great job at sucking you in
2) Made in Abyss
Creepy in really good ways and some bad ways but the world itself is perfect and makes you want to know what's going on. Excellent soundtrack A++
1) March Comes in Like a Lion
This made me cry a little bit

The top 3 positions are arbitrary and I'd probably switch them around in another week if I was feeling different. I strongly enjoyed all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

rules ftw

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I just posted in here to gush about animes I liked tbh

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

I just posted in here to gush about animes I liked tbh

:same:

It's fun reading everyone's lists!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Land of the Lustrous was really cool and interesting but even more interesting was the phenomenon of selective illiteracy it caused among most goons.

Girl's Last Tour I've only watched up to ep 6 of but it's really good and I don't foresee anything happening that would change my mind about it. Real chill and mysterious, possibly about kabbalah?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DisDisDis posted:

Girl's Last Tour I've only watched up to ep 6 of but it's really good and I don't foresee anything happening that would change my mind about it. Real chill and mysterious, possibly about kabbalah?

girl's last tour owns from beginning to end and has one of the best endings ever made

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

rules for an anime popularity contest that aren't actively being explained to the people voting and are only going to inform the people who have broken them long after they probably care to fix them with arbitrary disqualifications for movies or whatever

are not the good type of rules.

actually I don't have to do poo poo, and I'm not informing anyone of anything new, I just happen to see which votes are invalid because I count them up, and am happy to do the extra work to give people a second chance to vote because it's always so close.

Everyone is perfectly capable and allowed to vote for things that aren't on the list, it's just bad data, and I wouldn't be a statistician without knowing how to deal with it.

And just to be clear, it wasn't arbitrary disqualifications, it was me asking all of you to reduce the amount of work I have to do, because now I have to validate every single one of your movie/ova votes (and figure out what you're even voting for in the first place since I don't know all the names and nicknames and japanese titles of all the movies) but now I'm doing that work anyways, so maybe just be happy about it or suggest some improvement.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i am shocked the little nazi show references jewish mysticism

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

AnacondaHL posted:

actually I don't have to do poo poo, and I'm not informing anyone of anything new, I just happen to see which votes are invalid because I count them up, and am happy to do the extra work to give people a second chance to vote because it's always so close.

Everyone is perfectly capable and allowed to vote for things that aren't on the list, it's just bad data, and I wouldn't be a statistician without knowing how to deal with it.

And just to be clear, it wasn't arbitrary disqualifications, it was me asking all of you to reduce the amount of work I have to do, because now I have to validate every single one of your movie/ova votes (and figure out what you're even voting for in the first place since I don't know all the names and nicknames and japanese titles of all the movies) but now I'm doing that work anyways, so maybe just be happy about it or suggest some improvement.

I'm sorry I voted for an OVA my friend.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

littleorv posted:

I'm sorry I voted for an OVA my friend.

Nah it's cool, I personally respect the statement. Hell I used a vote on SaeKano, but how I feel is how I feel.

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
1. ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department: A very chill show about high-stakes political intrigue. I loved basically everything about this: the plot, the characters, the aesthetic, seeing the cultures of the various territories, the OP, etc.

2. Princess Principal: "Cute girls doing spy things" is about enough to sell me on a show already, and it was executed well too.

3. Made in Abyss: Does a great job of conveying the thrill and the peril of exploring the unknown. Probably has the best soundtrack of any anime I watched this year, too. Ozen is grandma of the year.

4. KonoSuba 2: The arc where they go to visit the Axis Cult town (including the journey there) is just fantastic throughout.

5. Land of the Lustr(u)ous: it's good

Other stuff I have words about :
Restaurant to Another World: I love relaxed shows about people eating stuff, and the fantasy backstory parts tended to be pretty entertaining as well. #6 for the year for me.
Centaur's Worries: I wouldn't say it's good, but I have to give it some props for covering such a wild array of topics.
Gamers!: The couple of episodes where everyone misunderstands everyone else's relationships is amazing, but I didn't really care for the rest.
Love is Like a Cocktail: Adorable show, oddly the cocktails were probably the weakest part.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I mean we all know Land of the Lustrous is going to win this year

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

Here's my improvement: Drop the stupid anal rules, accept votes as they are posted.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
No one votes and the anime of the year is Dragonball Super

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm fine with the rule because it never affects any show that I care about.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Not part of my anime of the year list but I want to give a shoutout to the two Yuasa movies released this year; The Night is Short, Walk On Girl and Lu Over the Wall. Night is Short in particular is amazing while Lu has some really visually interesting sequences.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Here's my improvement: Drop the stupid anal rules, accept votes as they are posted.

Why don't you count the votes then if you think the current process is flawed

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

anal rules? It's literally one rule

quote:

- Pick up to 5 series from the list.

I don't make the rules, I just enforce them. Go whine about Dragonball Super to someone else that actually matters.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

No one votes and the anime of the year is Dragonball Super
:stonk:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

You seem unpleasant

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

AnacondaHL posted:

Go whine about Dragonball Super to someone else that actually matters.
:drat:

blown the gently caress out

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DisDisDis posted:

Land of the Lustrous was really cool and interesting but even more interesting was the phenomenon of selective illiteracy it caused among most goons.

Not to spoil anything, but the last few eps bumped up the ranking of this show from a 7/10 to an 8/10 for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heres my rules for stupid anal:

1: take a shower first
2: always bring lube
3: NEVER say 'its goofy time'

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

What if I'm a member of the goof troop?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

Third one sound negotiable

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I stand with anaconda; the guy who does the hard part of the voting thread for me without asking for anything back. Go vote for bad anime.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

this all checks out

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Thank you four your hard work anaconda, and shut up, josuke.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's goofy time

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
i had left my #1 spot open but I'd like to fill it with An Extremely Goofy Movie

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

4: If the recipient is a woman, stick with anal for the rest of the tryst. Trying to switch to vaginal sex will end badly.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don’t think this is the best place to talk about your sex life.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Strange Quark posted:

Yeah, the game room is where you go to play pretend

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Strange Quark posted:

:forkbomb:

Probably not.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh, fine. Jeez.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

4: If the recipient is a woman, stick with anal for the rest of the tryst. Trying to switch to vaginal sex will end badly.

my favorite exchange on the f plus is

"What, do you think there's some magical wall that separates the anus and the vagina?"
"I - well, I don't think it's magical, no."

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I pretty much only saw movies, don't really care about it getting counted or not, but I think the best I saw this year was Your Name (was in my theaters in 2017 so I'm calling it a 2017 movie) and In This Corner of the World (real good minus a gross scene that I'm not sure if I'm down with. I can't fault a war movie for horrifying the audience but there's a nasty rotting body at a single point that seems really out of place, even if the movie had been a downer up to that point), followed by Napping Princess (pretty fun but kind of a weak climax. Not really a standout, but solid enough) and Heaven's Feel (not really a fan of movies that are blatantly a 'part 2 of 3' sort of deal).

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Happy New Year ADTRW!

Voting isn't over. (I assume the poll close date will be given soon). But just for informational purposes here is the list of unlisted movies/OVAs that received Top5 votes:

3 Kizumonogatari III
2 In This Corner of the World
2 Fate/stay night Movie: Heaven's Feel - I. Presage Flower
1 Night is Short, Walk on Girl
1 Lupin the Third: The Blood Spray of Goemon Ishikawa
1 Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta
1 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2202: Ai no Senshi-tachi
1 Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai
1 Your Name
1 Napping Princess

Just for reference, reaching the top 10 of the year takes at least ~15 votes.

And here is the list of total movie/OVA votes and mentions combined:

5 Night is Short, Walk on Girl
4 Kizumonogatari III
4 Your Name
3 Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta
3 In This Corner of the World
2 Napping Princess
2 Fate/stay night Movie: Heaven's Feel - I. Presage Flower
1 Lupin the Third: The Blood Spray of Goemon Ishikawa
1 Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2202: Ai no Senshi-tachi
1 Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai
1 Blame! Movie
1 Koe no Katachi

Add them to the list or not, I'm ready either way.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

And here are the votes that weren't counted (original posts quoted for convenience), you may change or keep them as you wish:

Ccs posted:

Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous:
Brilliant show. Incredible character growth, animation, music, pacing, and design. It's also the first anime to get CG right to the point I could show it to people without them realizing it was CG.

Osomatsu Season 2:
Almost as funny as the first season with a lot of great jokes. They go the extra mile in the animation to push the humor. 50,000 SUMMA

Little Witch Academia:
Fun series with good designs. Was easy to watch an episode out of order, but the lack of strong plot through-line discouraged me a bit.

Ancient Magus Bride:
Good characters and visuals overcome the strange premise and lack of strong plot.

Ccs, your 2nd vote of Osomatsu Season 2 was not counted.

Ignis posted:

1. MMO Junkie (mostly what this guy said)
2. Gintama Slip Arc (a great year for Gintama overall in most departments imo)
3. Tsuredure Children (the manga is the most adorable thing, the anime didn't disappoint even though it got really compressed at points)
4. Pingu in the City (noot noot motherfuckers)
5. Osomatsu-san 2 (more of the same but there ain't nothing wrong with that)

Ignis, your 4th and 5th votes of Pingu in the City and Osomatsu-san Season 2 were not counted.

jon joe posted:

5. Youjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil cool

4. Osomatsu-san 2 funny

3. Made in Abyss pretty

2. KonoSuba 2 funnier

1. nothing because I haven't watched Land of the Lustrous yet, apparently

jon joe, your 4th vote of Osomatsu-san Season 2 was not counted.

jon joe posted:

i had left my #1 spot open but I'd like to fill it with An Extremely Goofy Movie

Done!

kayakyakr posted:

1) Shokugeki No Soma: 3rd Plate - Strong season 3 from an epic show about cooking. I will have to go back and watch the first two seasons soon.

2) Magical Circle Guru Guru - 1 and a half episodes to go. I think I find it funnier than the girlfriend, but she's more attracted to the cuteness of it. Some excellent satirical, parody, or meta humor, including in the translation.

3) Recovery of an MMO Junkie - I'm really bummed that the source material is missing, but am sorta hoping that they continue the story anyway. I want an actual ending to the series!

4) Ancient Magus Bride - Enjoyable, nicely arted

5) Little Witch Academia - Watched this on my own in the spring. It was OK.

kayakyakr, your 1st vote of Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara should be counted and that show should be requested to be added to the list of 2017 shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

1. Land of the Lustrous
2. Princess Principal
3. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen
4. Mahoujin Guru Guru
5. Girls Last Tour

Anime loving ruled this year

• Locked thread