Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Okay. At least he has some, typical college, off field event for people to point at. With the on-field character complaints alone it sounded like old men furious at the fact that some football player in his 20s isn't a robot.

Am I wrong in thinking this is the best QB class since 2012? Even if Darnold is a bust Mayfield, Rosen, and Jackson seem like they all have legitimate shots at being franchise QBs.

I don't know.

Except for the putrid class of 2013 the last drafts all had at least 2 franchise QBs

2014: Jimmy G, Dereck Carr
2015: Mariota, Winston
2016: Goff, Wentz, Prescott
2017: too early to call but Watson looked good, Mahomes and Trubisky have potential

There is also the nature vs. nurture question. A rookie on the Browns will have a very different career from a rookie on the Patriots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't know.

Except for the putrid class of 2013 the last drafts all had at least 2 franchise QBs

2014: Jimmy G, Dereck Carr
2015: Mariota, Winston
2016: Goff, Wentz, Prescott
2017: too early to call but Watson looked good, Mahomes and Trubisky have potential

There is also the nature vs. nurture question. A rookie on the Browns will have a very different career from a rookie on the Patriots.

i think we are slightly too early in crowning Jimmy G as a franchise QB. give him more than 5 games

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
At this point I'm more comfortable calling Jimmy GQ a franchise quarterback than I am Mariota or Winston.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

At this point I'm more comfortable calling Jimmy GQ a franchise quarterback than I am Mariota or Winston.

The guy who got to learn behind Tom Brady for three years is doing better than the guys thrown out to the wolves to try and save their poo poo teams from poo poo coaching, you don't say.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Browns picking #1 and #4 officially. Smart choice would be Rosen (providing he doesn't pull an Eli) and...?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Browns picking #1 and #4 officially. Smart choice would be Rosen (providing he doesn't pull an Eli) and...?

Minkah Fitzpatrick. We need dbs.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Mariota needs a new coach

Winston needs a new brain

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Jameis has been really good this year in the healthy games he's played. Still turns it over a bit much but most 23 year old QBs do.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

GobiasIndustries posted:

They're trading both picks for Alex Smith

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

wandler20 posted:

Jameis has been really good this year in the healthy games he's played. Still turns it over a bit much but most 23 year old QBs do.

Yeah, Jameis is younger than Wentz and Dak despite being in the league a year longer.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Yeah, Jameis is younger than Wentz and Dak despite being in the league a year longer.

He has an 18:8 TD:int ratio this year which is acceptable but started fumbling more. OL needs to get better but he sits in the pocket too long at times.

Edit: And of course Jameis goes and throws a billion INTs today.

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 1, 2018

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Anyone have a link to the draft order as of now? This information became pertinent a week earlier than I expected.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Anyone have a link to the draft order as of now? This information became pertinent a week earlier than I expected.

https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/947636159789793280

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It's weird not having a top 10 pick

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Metapod posted:

It's weird not having a top 10 pick

Picking in the 20s is when you discover whether your GM is good at the draft or not.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Just in case there's anyone out there who hasn't read Jon Bois' draft analysis.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Hi everyone nobody pick a tackle until we do thanks.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

And somehow the Deshaun Watson trade is still a steal. Thanks Browns!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

6 hour ESPN coinflip special.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Oh wow. 16 is way better than I expected.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Can't wait for GB to draft yet another bust.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Seahawks don't have a second- or third-round pick so I'll be stunned if we end up drafting at 18

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Coldforge posted:

Picking in the 20s is when you discover whether your GM is good at the draft or not.

he's good

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

What's the feeling on where Barkley lands? A team that needs an RB or any team that needs the best possible talent regardless of team need (assuming they don't already have a franchise RB)?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
barkley shouldn't get out of the top-3 or 4

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Komet posted:

What's the feeling on where Barkley lands? A team that needs an RB or any team that needs the best possible talent regardless of team need (assuming they don't already have a franchise RB)?

Gettleman has mentioned focus on the run game...

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

corn on the cop posted:

barkley shouldn't get out of the top-3 or 4

I guess I could see Indy taking him? Giants have to take a QB.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Coldforge posted:

I guess I could see Indy taking him? Giants have to take a QB.

I'm really talking myself into wanting the Colts to take Barkley.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

There is definitely a sizable contingent of Colts fans who want Barkley. I wouldn't mind the pick, depending how FA shakes out, but it's hard for me to rationalize taking him over a top-tier defensive prospect like Chubb.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Rosen & Barkley to the Browns, book it.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
there's also a sizable contingent of giants fans who want barkley. gonna depend on who's declaring.

can see anywhere in that 2-4 range.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

corn on the cop posted:

there's also a sizable contingent of giants fans who want barkley. gonna depend on who's declaring.

They absolutely have to take a QB. It would be madness to do otherwise with the #2 pick, and Eli being cooked.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Well, ignoring the stats for a moment, because Barkley played behind a mostly bad offensive line for three years, he's arguably the best Penn State player of all time and probably the best RB I've seen play college during my lifetime. Maybe the best since Barry Sanders. It would be crazy to draft a DB over him. I don't think there are any Champ Bailey-caliber corners this year that would have as profound an impact over a career as Barkley.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

corn on the cop posted:

can see anywhere in that 2-4 range.

isn't their o line garbage too? Seems like RB would be the least of their priorities on that side of the ball right now.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
If the Browns take Rosen and ruin him I will never forgive them

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The Browns have never not ruined a QB in 20 years

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Blessed be the Colts who secured our #2.

GobiasIndustries posted:

The sound decision is definitely Rosen and then it's a hard toss up because this is a pretty top heavy draft. Hard choice between Derwin James, Bradley Chubb, Orlando Brown, or Connor Williams. I wouldn't could out Roquan Smith sneaking up there too. CB and RB are both deep enough this year that I could see guys like Barkley and Fitzpatrick dropping a bit just because there's other options later.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Wow the Browns have 2 top 5 picks

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Wow the Browns have 2 top 5 picks to waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Also, I hope everyone watching the steelers realizes that Darnold was showing off by passing to JuJu all last year

He helped out a raw quarterback a lot

• Locked thread