Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
NETHACK: The Braille Edition is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

steinrokkan posted:

NETHACK: The Braille Edition is excellent.

It's about time someone started making sense around here.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Literally A Person posted:

It's about time someone started making sense around here.

Too bad Nethack does not make sense in a post 9/9/99 world

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Give me 4K Dwarf Fortress VR please.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

Give me 4K Dwarf Fortress VR please.

To see more of the landscape, or to see the same field of view in higher resolutionquality?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

signalnoise posted:

Too bad Nethack does not make sense in a post 9/9/99 world

^^^ spoken whilst wearing:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

mind the walrus posted:

Audio isn't nescessary.

I disagreed with your text walls before, but this makes me think you're just plain loopy, dude.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FoolyCharged posted:

I disagreed with your text walls before, but this makes me think you're just plain loopy, dude.

I believe that he believes it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

signalnoise posted:

To see more of the landscape, or to see the same field of view in higher resolutionquality?

I don't know what I want. I want the experience of going mad and flooding your keep with lava in immersive, hi-fidelity, first person graphics I think. I know that takes away from some of the jank charm.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Literally A Person posted:

The only good games are ones with no audio or visual components.

can confirm: pocket pool & footsie both rule

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

OMGVBFLOL posted:

pocket pool

:stonklol:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Some kind of rumble-only game like that shake your joycon and tell how many ice cubes are in it based on rumble poo poo. Or maybe a full-body suit that uses FORCE FEEDBACK because you're in a GAMER SUIT playing FLEXMASTER: Source

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

signalnoise posted:

Some kind of rumble-only game like that shake your joycon and tell how many ice cubes are in it based on rumble poo poo. Or maybe a full-body suit that uses FORCE FEEDBACK because you're in a GAMER SUIT playing FLEXMASTER: Source

Recreating the knockoff Iron Man suit presentation scene from Iron Man 2

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

a bone to pick posted:

Yep, feels good to be a console gamer.

Saddest post I’ve read all year, and I read the Trump threads

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I guess you could say that opinion was unpopular :smug:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I don't like having over 100 games on steam that I've never installed

Just me though probably

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The original Deus Ex isn't a masterpiece of game design; it's actually pretty clunky and the voice acting is poo poo.

Uncharted 4 is actually kind of boring.

Shadow of the Colossus has a better story than The Last Guardian.

Wolfenstein The New Order is better than The New Colossus

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

tango alpha delta posted:

The original Deus Ex isn't a masterpiece of game design; it's actually pretty clunky and the voice acting is poo poo.

Tried playing it a few years ago, couldn't. It was even clunky for its time.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

VideoTapir posted:

Having said that, I have no idea why this opening hasn't been redone with modern graphics. It's still loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zStn70Ot4r0

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I avoid playing with mods as much as possible. The only exception is when they drastically change the game (long war) or fix some really retarded game stuff (Traffic AI in Cities Skylines)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

related deus ex unpopular opinion: it’s one of the most fun deathmatch games ever, and among its contemporaries it was THE most fun, trumping quake 3 and counterstrike by a country mile

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

VideoTapir posted:

this is all true, but taken as a whole it works better than it should. it's the worst great game.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I will only agree about it's first level on Liberty Island. I almost turned off the game but all the reviews calling it a masterpiece made me decide to at least see out the first chapter, in it's prime.

..then I got to UNATCO HQ and now it's one of my favorite games of all time still. It's UI wasn't as clunky as it seems today for it's time; I mean it was up against stuff like Resident Evil 4 with similar inventories and poo poo

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I will only agree about it's first level on Liberty Island. I almost turned off the game but all the reviews calling it a masterpiece made me decide to at least see out the first chapter, in it's prime.

..then I got to UNATCO HQ and now it's one of my favorite games of all time still. It's UI wasn't as clunky as it seems today for it's time; I mean it was up against stuff like Resident Evil 4 with similar inventories and poo poo

I'm baffled at the fact that Resident Evil even had a sequel, the controls were so bad.

The only game I've ever played with controls/UI worse than RE 1 and 2 (and that is where I stopped) was Killer 7.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

VideoTapir posted:

I'm baffled at the fact that Resident Evil even had a sequel, the controls were so bad.

The only game I've ever played with controls/UI worse than RE 1 and 2 (and that is where I stopped) was Killer 7.

I’ve never touched RE1-3 because tank controls and save games being limited items turned me off completely but RE4 is absolutely in the top 15 or 20 games of all time and more or less redefined “setpiece action sequences” forever more, it’s really worth playing

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VideoTapir posted:

They had no idea how action games would control at the time. Basically until they got the two-stick thing down, action games controlled really badly when they were more complex than mario.

Tank controls were the most common solution.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Panzeh posted:

They had no idea how action games would control at the time. Basically until they got the two-stick thing down, action games controlled really badly when they were more complex than mario.

Tank controls were the most common solution.

Ok, that can explain why the first RE had bad controls.

What about, uh, every other title in the series?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
"action games"

A thing that didn't exist before Resident Evil, and of which Resident Evil was one.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VideoTapir posted:

"action games"

A thing that didn't exist before Resident Evil, and of which Resident Evil was one.

It was one. It controlled like a lot of other bad 3d action games at the time.

Chomp8645 posted:

They got it into their heads that an outdated control scheme added to the horror.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Having said that, I have no idea why this opening hasn't been redone with modern graphics. It's still loving awesome.

The music gets way too loud at the end

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The best early 3d control scheme was MegaMan Legends for the ps1

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

a bone to pick posted:

The best early 3d control scheme was MegaMan Legends for the ps1

God drat right it was.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Not an in engine thing but the ps2 had a cgi version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJegc9eEG8M

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

It took them til RE 6 to fix this IIRC and 5 received tons of criticism for its 90's controls.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

dont even fink about it posted:

It took them til RE 6 to fix this IIRC and 5 received tons of criticism for its 90's controls.

Um, Re5's controls are just RE4's controls which were revolutionary and basically gave us 10 years of 3rd person over-the-shoulder shooty shooty bang bang. So actually RE5 has 00's controls and they're good controls.

Actually, mechanically 5 is a super solid game. So no, nothing about this post is unpopular, just incorrect.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Twelve Batmans posted:

Um, Re5's controls are just RE4's controls which were revolutionary and basically gave us 10 years of 3rd person over-the-shoulder shooty shooty bang bang. So actually RE5 has 00's controls and they're good controls.

Actually, mechanically 5 is a super solid game. So no, nothing about this post is unpopular, just incorrect.

Resident Evil 4 is considered more or less the best Resident Evil game, but by 2009 when Resident Evil 5 happened, third-person shooters had advanced by light years ahead of 4, and 5 had done almost nothing about that or become worse.

quote:

Aspects of the game's control scheme were viewed negatively by critics. James Mielke of 1UP.com criticized several inconsistencies in the game, such as only being able to take cover from enemy fire in very specific areas. Mielke also criticized its controls, saying that aiming was too slow and noting the inability to strafe away from (or quickly jump back from) enemies. Despite the problems he found it was "still a very fun game".[68] Kristan Reed also had criticism of some controls, such as the speed at which 180-degree turns were performed and difficulty accessing inventory.[70] Joe Juba said that the inability to move and shoot at the same time seemed more "like a cheap and artificial way to increase difficulty than a technique to enhance tension."[71]

It is actually you who has the unpopular (and bad) opinion.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I actually really enjoyed RE5 and I believe it stands up better than RE4. The controls are much tighter and the co-op is fun. Other than the obvious racism I believe it's the best Resident Evil game.

I even bought the remake of RE4 on PC and couldn't get past how bad and floaty the controls are. This is coming from a guy who played the RE4 PC port that didn't come with mouse compatibility. You had to download a mod and tweak it until it was bearable. Still beat it on the hardest difficulty without using new game+.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

dont even fink about it posted:

Resident Evil 4 is considered more or less the best Resident Evil game, but by 2009 when Resident Evil 5 happened, third-person shooters had advanced by light years ahead of 4, and 5 had done almost nothing about that or become worse.

It is actually you who has the unpopular (and bad) opinion.

It's not a matter of unpopular or popular. You're just wrong. Re5 has Re4's controls. That might have felt "stagnant" but only in terms of games with those controls from the 00's, not the 90's which you claimed. The control scheme changed quite a bit between 3 and 4 before 5 was even a twinkle in Capcom's eye. That's all I'm pointing out.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

limp_cheese posted:

I actually really enjoyed RE5 and I believe it stands up better than RE4. The controls are much tighter and the co-op is fun. Other than the obvious racism I believe it's the best Resident Evil game.

RE5 mechanically is just loving amazing and it handles extremely well. It's very consistent with no jarring bugs or glitches and the environments are surprisingly interactable. I remember first punching a dude through a window and being like "drat that was AWESOME." Mercenaries basically filters the mechanical superiority of 5 into a nice, crunchy game mode that is just bitchin' when it's done 2-players.

6 was trash in comparison. They took away all the team synergy you had with your partner and made everything Press Square to counter. I mean yeah the movement was more free-flowing or whatever but I'm not opposed to jank so it's a moot point for me since I've played games for over 20 years and love some janky garbage.

Also, where was the obvious racism in 5? I couldn't find it. Was it the white chick being dragged away in the beginning or the literal 6-foot tall spear-chucking/howling blue guys wearing tiki masks that did it for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Twelve Batmans posted:

RE5 mechanically is just loving amazing and it handles extremely well. It's very consistent with no jarring bugs or glitches and the environments are surprisingly interactable. I remember first punching a dude through a window and being like "drat that was AWESOME." Mercenaries basically filters the mechanical superiority of 5 into a nice, crunchy game mode that is just bitchin' when it's done 2-players.

6 was trash in comparison. They took away all the team synergy you had with your partner and made everything Press Square to counter. I mean yeah the movement was more free-flowing or whatever but I'm not opposed to jank so it's a moot point for me since I've played games for over 20 years and love some janky garbage.

Also, where was the obvious racism in 5? I couldn't find it. Was it the white chick being dragged away in the beginning or the literal 6-foot tall spear-chucking/howling blue guys wearing tiki masks that did it for you?

I also hated 6. Played through the Leon campaign because I started it so might as well finish it and uninstalled immediately afterwards. The only bad poo poo I remember is the bosses NEVER being for sure dead. I think that fucker came back like 4 times in a row, one right after the other, right after the characters breathed a sigh of relief and said "He's dead for real this time, scout's honor".

Yeah, it was fighting spear-chucking tribals while they were shouting OOGA-BOOGA. Maybe as an American I've just overly sensitive to that poo poo. Honestly I don't know how else they would do it.