Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

OneTwentySix posted:

Legion figured out interstellar travel.

who is Legion in the cosmere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
Quote:

When Simol was informed of the arrival of the Edgedancers, a concealed consternation and terror, as is common in such cases, fell upon him; although they were not the most demanding of orders, their graceful, limber movements hid a deadliness that was, by this time, quite renowned; also, they were the most articulate and refined of the Radiants.

articulate and refined - sounds like a duelist to me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yeah, given how much Sanderson plans books and characters, that one huge part of his personally -- refined fashionista -- is a glaring flag

mewse
May 2, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

She probably is twice her apparent age. At least.

It’s pretty explicit that her wish was to remain unchanging in some way or another.

Can't wait to see Sanderson edgedance around that one when she gets in a relationship with an adult

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The :nexus: already has him covered for rationales!

:suicide:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mewse posted:

Can't wait to see Sanderson edgedance around that one when she gets in a relationship with an adult

She's aging now, and won't be a main character until after the ten year timeskip. So at minimum she'll be like, twenty or something.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I think that will be the twist. He will definitely revive his blade, but it's not guaranteed that he will bond her. He might become a Radiant of a different order.

iirc WoB is that the nahel bond is part of reviving a dead spren

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NecroMonster posted:

iirc WoB is that the nahel bond is part of reviving a dead spren

Yaarp. You also have to be suitable for the bond to develop, ie someone the spren would have liked

Adolin is perfect, go figure

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Yaarp. You also have to be suitable for the bond to develop, ie someone the spren would have liked

Adolin is perfect, go figure

You also need to restore the bond to the same level as when it was broken, using the same exact words that were used for the oaths the first time.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

NecroMonster posted:

You also need to restore the bond to the same level as when it was broken, using the same exact words that were used for the oaths the first time.

For real?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

NecroMonster posted:

That would have been my guess, and why the spren all think it's impossible. Becoming a Radiant of the Third Ideal with a spren guiding you is hard. Doing all of that without a spren whispering advice in your ear is something none of the other POV characters could have accomplished, and they are all exceptional already.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

This seems too percise. It's been almost 2000 years since the recreance. Even if the person who held the blade before was Alethi, languages change too much in that time for that to be possible

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's WoB, unless i'm remembering really really wrong.

it's supposed to be a really loving hard thing to do, bordering on impossible.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

As much as I want to see Adolin bring that spren back, I want to see someone with two or more nahel bonds more.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

Maybe I'm not searching the right terms but the closest I could find was him saying "According to the understanding of those in-world it would require the same person who broke their oath" to say the vows again (and similar things that stress that as far as our characters understand this is impossible). But not the bit about needing to say the literal same vows or anything too definite about how it has to work.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

Perhaps his cousin will take him back to Shadesmar meet with Maya and figuring out the words will be less difficult there. She's clearly already different than other dead blades and may be able to communicate somehow.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ekeog posted:

Maybe I'm not searching the right terms but the closest I could find was him saying "According to the understanding of those in-world it would require the same person who broke their oath" to say the vows again (and similar things that stress that as far as our characters understand this is impossible). But not the bit about needing to say the literal same vows or anything too definite about how it has to work.

I think the Stormfather also said saving syl was impossible in book 2, so clearly they have no idea what they're dealing with here.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^ What happened in book 2 for Syl and Kaladin seems like a much stronger and quicker instance of what we might see with Adolin and Maya. During the big battle Adolin could faintly feel thoughts from Maya, while Kaladin felt he could hear Syl calling out to him even though she had 'died' or whatever. What I'm curious to see is what happens if Adolin manages to revive Maya, especially if he does so before having spoken a high enough Ideal to get a Blade.

NecroMonster posted:

As much as I want to see Adolin bring that spren back, I want to see someone with two or more nahel bonds more.

My money's on Hoid.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 30, 2017

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Whoever ends up being the one who can juggle two sets of oaths and two spren is probably going to be a bit of a nut case. Maybe if one of their orders was lightweaver that would make it a bit easier.

I doubt we'll see it until the second half of the series anyway.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

Whoever ends up being the one who can juggle two sets of oaths and two spren is probably going to be a bit of a nut case. Maybe if one of their orders was lightweaver that would make it a bit easier.

I doubt we'll see it until the second half of the series anyway.

Skybreaker + lightweaver seems like one hell of an undercover cop

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

What I'm curious to see is what happens if Adolin manages to revive Maya, especially if he does so before having spoken a high enough Ideal to get a Blade.

lol I'd like to see Adolin suddenly get surgebinding at a climactic moment but also his blade instantly disappearing because he's not high enough level.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Infinite Karma posted:

That would have been my guess, and why the spren all think it's impossible. Becoming a Radiant of the Third Ideal with a spren guiding you is hard. Doing all of that without a spren whispering advice in your ear is something none of the other POV characters could have accomplished, and they are all exceptional already.

The guidance helps for sure, but it seems like the Ideals can be figured out by the person without a spren to guide them. Kaladin obviously knows the Fourth Ideal, but just isn't ready to speak it and it's not like Syl told him. Dalinar is an even better example, no way the Stormfather told him anything about the Third Ideal and is not really guiding him but when the time came he knew the right words. Not that it would be easy, but at this point Adolin is going to be exposed to enough of the orders to have an idea what he might need to say.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ConfusedUs posted:

She probably is twice her apparent age. At least.

It’s pretty explicit that her wish was to remain unchanging in some way or another.

When she first shows up she says she's been ten for three years. Her wish was literally to never change, and she's been complaining since at least Edgedancer that she's getting older.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Space Butler posted:

When she first shows up she says she's been ten for three years. Her wish was literally to never change, and she's been complaining since at least Edgedancer that she's getting older.

Hmmm does this have any significance to Dalinar slowly losing his memory block

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Hmmm does this have any significance to Dalinar slowly losing his memory block

Depends on whether Lift's thing was due to the intervention of Cultivation, rather than just the Nightwatcher. Dalinar's fading block was definitely her plan, so maybe Lift's aging is the same way.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ekeog posted:

Depends on whether Lift's thing was due to the intervention of Cultivation, rather than just the Nightwatcher. Dalinar's fading block was definitely her plan, so maybe Lift's aging is the same way.

Wyndle says that Lift has been in contact with his mother, who I assume is Cultivation.

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

Wyndle says that Lift has been in contact with his mother, who I assume is Cultivation.

That's probably the Nightwatcher like Syl calls the Stormfather her father.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Yeroc2 posted:

That's probably the Nightwatcher like Syl calls the Stormfather her father.

Yeah, it's unclear how much of a direct hand Cultivation had in Lift's deal, but her powers are unique and seem way different than the other gift/curses the nightwatcher usually hands out

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I'd like to officially declare the stormlight archives my official best fiction series of 2017. Because it was the only series where nothing in it offended my literally autistic sense of what constitutes a unacceptable violation of suspicion of disbelief. (Why are the greyjoys still acting like raiders? it's been three hundred years since they were conquered and only a generation before their rebellion is crushed? Why did that one guy have three salt wives? Did the seven kingdoms go 'well we defeated you but you can keep all the women you kidnapped, we don't want them back?')

It also has compelling characters who go through sympathetic arcs. I really felt for Kaladin.

My one big complaint is that Sanderson comes up with such interesting magical systems but then writes about characters who have the simplest power sets possible. (Looking at you Waxillium Ladrian!) Surgebinding is neat but mostly it's just used for flying fight scenes. I won't spoil all the uses but there's as few as eight different magical spells cast by various Knights in this 55 hour audiobook. (Oh wait, also the healing because being injured having consequences isn't video gamey enough)

Why does Sanderson like segmenting off powers such that characters can only have two? Or half in the case of Vin.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Monocled Falcon posted:

My one big complaint is that Sanderson comes up with such interesting magical systems but then writes about characters who have the simplest power sets possible. (Looking at you Waxillium Ladrian!) Surgebinding is neat but mostly it's just used for flying fight scenes. I won't spoil all the uses but there's as few as eight different magical spells cast by various Knights in this 55 hour audiobook. (Oh wait, also the healing because being injured having consequences isn't video gamey enough)

Why does Sanderson like segmenting off powers such that characters can only have two? Or half in the case of Vin.

It's probably his way of avoiding having to write for Superman. Supes is great, but he's basically a god; you have to try hard narratively to get him at a disadvantage, and even that is usually because he doesn't feel like punching people into orbit.

Plus, limited powersets invite creative uses and specialization. Jasnah can't fly, but goddamn can she soulcast. Shallan can barely soulcast, but she can make holograms like crazy. And in-universe for these it makes sense, since Surgebinding (or a close analogue) destroyed Ashyn--Honor and Cultivation probably slapped the limits down to prevent a repeat (or just make it really hard to do).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

OAquinas posted:

It's probably his way of avoiding having to write for Superman. Supes is great, but he's basically a god; you have to try hard narratively to get him at a disadvantage, and even that is usually because he doesn't feel like punching people into orbit.

Plus, limited powersets invite creative uses and specialization. Jasnah can't fly, but goddamn can she soulcast. Shallan can barely soulcast, but she can make holograms like crazy. And in-universe for these it makes sense, since Surgebinding (or a close analogue) destroyed Ashyn--Honor and Cultivation probably slapped the limits down to prevent a repeat (or just make it really hard to do).

Also, these books are going to be going for most of the rest of our natural lives, so you can't have end-of-wheel-of-time power levels yet or you've written yourself into a corner.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Monocled Falcon posted:

If you care, here is his response to that question

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I don't feel that the essay addresses the heart of my problem with Sanderson's magics. It's not that characters aren't WOT-style walking nuclear weapons. It's that characters' powers don't have very interesting strengths or weaknesses. Kaladin is a guy with a magic sword and the ablities to fly and heal himself, who mostly fights people that can fly and heal themselves.

Wax is a coinshot who can manipulate his weight, the primary limitation of coinshooting, who fights a villain who can instantly heal wounds.

It seems that a character that had say, two allomancy skills and one feruchemy skill would be able to solve problems in so many more interesting ways.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Monocled Falcon posted:

I don't feel that the essay addresses the heart of my problem with Sanderson's magics. It's not that characters aren't WOT-style walking nuclear weapons. It's that characters' powers don't have very interesting strengths or weaknesses. Kaladin is a guy with a magic sword and the ablities to fly and heal himself, who mostly fights people that can fly and heal themselves.

I dunno, Kaladin's weakness is cognitive dissonance, under the influence of which he loses all his powers, which is kinda interesting.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Oh the character drama stuff is amazing. I don't have a problem with that at all.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Sanderson also wants to have limits on magic in place before he inevitably starts to combo different magic systems.

I mean, take Vin, and stick Jezrien's Honorblade in her hands... she wouldn't quite have been on the level of Susebron or the Lord Ruler, but she still could likely have butchered either one with casual ease. Take Szeth in his Truthless days and give him enough Breaths for the Sixth Heightening, and he automatically goes from the Assassin in White to the goddamned Invisible Assassin (why do the hard work yourself when you could just have the target strangled at dinner by his own tablecloth?) Take Vasher, stick the right kind of Hemalurgic spike in him and hand him a sufficiently large Nicrosil metalmind and drop him in front of a Highstorm, and wonder at just how much Stormlight can he store and what kind of Swords he could make if he could figure out how to use Stormlight in place of Breaths to Awaken things.

The point being, if you think the Lord Ruler was broken you haven't seen poo poo yet son, and if you want to keep your characters from casually snapping the plot over their knee every time they turn around then you had best drop the power levels down to their lowest setting and build from there.

(Szeth with Nightblood and a large Nicrosil metalmind charged to the brim with Stormlight vs. any army of your choosing, and I'll lay my money on Szeth every time.)

(Lopen as either a Rioter or a Soother. You're gonna believe his bullshit, gon.)

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 2, 2018

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I'm quite happy that the silly power combination what-ifs have remained in the realm of uber-nerd fan questions to Brandon instead of creeping into the narrative. "What if you stabbed Nightblood with a hemalurgical spike made of lerasium while inside a flared time bubble created by a combination Nicrosil and Cadmium savant!? Would the spiritual Connection Investiture spren created be stronger than Goku?"

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

OAquinas posted:

Surgebinding (or a close analogue) destroyed Ashyn--Honor and Cultivation probably slapped the limits down to prevent a repeat (or just make it really hard to do).

Mistborn stuff
There's certainly precedent for this, isn't it established that Harmony did similar upon ascension, making changes to the nature of Allomancy/Ferchemy that have made it so there are no more full Mistborn, and similarly preventing a recurrence of a "Lord Ruler" powerset?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Frabba posted:

Mistborn stuff
There's certainly precedent for this, isn't it established that Harmony did similar upon ascension, making changes to the nature of Allomancy/Ferchemy that have made it so there are no more full Mistborn, and similarly preventing a recurrence of a "Lord Ruler" powerset?

Yeah , Lerasium doesn't exist anymore (outside of the bead Hoid prolly still has), and Harmony's new metal is something that enables technological advances but can't actually be ingested because it's too reactive.

I think 'Honor purposefully limited surgebinding' is basically canon now, and it wouldn't be too big a surprise if we find out that the Dawnshards are something that allows use of all of the Ashyn version of the surges, making them basically magic WMDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ekeog posted:

Yeah , Lerasium doesn't exist anymore (outside of the bead Hoid prolly still has), and Harmony's new metal is something that enables technological advances but can't actually be ingested because it's too reactive.

The first bit I got, but where did the second bit get pointed out? Was it a WoB I missed somewhere? It makes sense, and something like that has been hinted at I just haven't seen it said.

Also, I can't wait until Mistborn figures out how to get Aluminum from ores the way we do now. They're at the tech level where it should happen, but widespread aluminum doesn't seem as big a deal as it should be.