Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

CLAM DOWN posted:

Man, is that actually a stereotype of Vancouver? That's terrible haha, I only know like one person in all my social circles who smokes the weed regularly. Yeah definitely, even though my closet's rent is only like $2k/mo, there's definitely a strong security scene there. We actually have a lot of trouble finding security-trained and experienced people for positions, like for a security-related job posting, we might get 20 applicants, not a single security cert or previous position. It's a buyer's market! For jobs, not for real estate.

i covet my job for a good reason. a lot of the security roles in vancouver pay absolutely horribly and i have that one unicorn job that allows me to actually live comfortably. annoyingly i am one of four women i know of in the city who does infosec too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Someone figured out how to handle password leaks.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

I had this happen to me when I was running Canario. They wanted their clients' e-mail addresses and password hashes removed from the database.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I have no need for it (Defender user of course), but I'm intrigued by Webroot as an AV solution. Purely out of curiosity, any good independent analysis of how well it works out there? My Googlin' leads me to the various generic reviews rather than any serious look.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/chelseakomlo/status/946904128554504192

:barf:

It's about Jacob Appelbaum, in case you don't want to click the link to find out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
This industry is loving toxic.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Not sure this is the right place to ask, but I've ended up being tasked with putting together a website that will be sending financial documents to a AWS database. I know nothing about cybersecurity or infosec and am somewhat terrified doing something like this, though thankfully I am not personally liable if anything goes wrong. Is there a good resource for like, putting together something simple and not loving over a bunch of customers due to a lack of research?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

I have no need for it (Defender user of course), but I'm intrigued by Webroot as an AV solution. Purely out of curiosity, any good independent analysis of how well it works out there? My Googlin' leads me to the various generic reviews rather than any serious look.

They had a pretty significant fuckup earlier this year although they say they’ve learned from it, etc etc. From what I’ve seen, they’re a pretty decent player in the MSP space.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

Not sure this is the right place to ask, but I've ended up being tasked with putting together a website that will be sending financial documents to a AWS database. I know nothing about cybersecurity or infosec and am somewhat terrified doing something like this, though thankfully I am not personally liable if anything goes wrong. Is there a good resource for like, putting together something simple and not loving over a bunch of customers due to a lack of research?

Depends a bit on what kind of information you store and what you're supposed to do with it. Large banks are using AWS, so it's no inherently a problem. You just have to do the right things to prevent abuse or leaks. PCI-DSS v3 has a simple list of things to do, AWS themselves have best practices too, if you *really* want to be sure you're not doing something dangerous look into what the cloud security alliance matrix (which is basically ssae16/iso27001/hipaa/pci/etcetcetc controls combined into one massive list, may be missing gdpr technical controls - haven't checked) expects of you. And then consider what meets your risk appetite and how much you or your employer cares about and/or are liable for people's personal lives.

Without any more information about what you're supposed to be doing, it's hard to give specific advice.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

This industry is loving toxic.
What makes you think it’s different elsewhere? It’s lovely for women everyfuckingwhere.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

evil_bunnY posted:

What makes you think it’s different elsewhere? It’s lovely for women everyfuckingwhere.

It’s toxic, even if it’s not uniquely toxic.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

evil_bunnY posted:

I didn't say it was different or unqiue in any way and I have zero idea how you drew that from my post.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
The kingdoms invented police to deal with crime 800 years ago, let's not poo poo up infosec with the daily troubles of lovely people and their victims.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

EssOEss posted:

The kingdoms invented police to deal with crime 800 years ago, let's not poo poo up infosec with the daily troubles of lovely people and their victims.

Are you referring to this:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://twitter.com/chelseakomlo/status/946904128554504192

:barf:

It's about Jacob Appelbaum, in case you don't want to click the link to find out.

Because I'm not sure how calling out a rapist in the infosec community isn't about the infosec industry and community

mewse
May 2, 2006

There's a site set up that compiles the allegations against that guy and one of them said he used to organize the lightning talks at 3c until he was harassed into never attending again because someone wanted to do a 5 min lightning talk about how Appelbaum was an rear end in a top hat

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Thanks Microsoft!

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/947277933344935937

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Wasn't that one of the selling points of paying for the Pro version to begin with?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Zil posted:

Wasn't that one of the selling points of paying for the Pro version to begin with?

It's been a PITA on Pro for a while on non-domain machines but possible, enterprise is the one that doesn't just ignore registry settings for it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pffffh cmon what home user DOESNT pay $122 per year for Enterprise licensing per workstation plus operate and update a domain controller?

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
Is there no way to buy a single license for enterprise, lol?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I think you can get a single E3 subscription from a reseller, but it’s tough to find information on this for some countries. I’m not sure why Microsoft don’t sell an Ultimate edition anymore and just charge more to make up for the lost ad revenue they get from home and pro users.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Daman posted:

Is there no way to buy a single license for enterprise, lol?

You can now engage ms for single license subscriptions.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Have a link for that?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

How does the educational license fit in with this? It has almost all of the features of enterprise, does it also have the ads tho?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

RFC2324 posted:

How does the educational license fit in with this? It has almost all of the features of enterprise, does it also have the ads tho?

Education is just Pro with the option to defer updates for slightly longer.

LTSB is locked and not possible to upgrade, except manually when new versions come out.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bobfather posted:

Education is just Pro with the option to defer updates for slightly longer.

LTSB is locked and not possible to upgrade, except manually when new versions come out.

According to this: https://liliputing.com/2015/07/differences-between-windows-10-home-pro-enterprise-and-education.html

Education is Enterprise without Cortana(and I assume LTSB, but its not listed)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

RFC2324 posted:

According to this: https://liliputing.com/2015/07/differences-between-windows-10-home-pro-enterprise-and-education.html

Education is only targeted to K-12, now, with Pro being offered to college students/universities as of early 2017 as far as I've seen.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/education/windows/

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

RFC2324 posted:

I’m pretty sure it goes like this:

Education can defer upgrades for a little while and lacks Cortana.

Enterprise can defer upgrades for a little while and lacks Cortana and most or all Metro apps.

LTSB can defer upgrades forever and lacks literally everything, including Edge.

I’m also pretty sure there’s working Powershell scripts to take Enterprise / Education and restore the features missing versus Pro, but there isn’t any way to take LTSB and restore all the features it’s missing.

Finally, I’m pretty sure Education and Enterprise cannot defer upgrades indefinitely. There’s ways to stop upgrades manually (Windows Update Minitool, or disable the upgrade service totally) or by using WSUS, but the OS by itself can’t stop upgrades.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Grassy Knowles posted:

Education is only targeted to K-12, now, with Pro being offered to college students/universities as of early 2017 as far as I've seen.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/education/windows/

loving Microsoft loving with SKUs

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RFC2324 posted:

loving Microsoft loving with SKUs

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

bobfather posted:

Enterprise can defer upgrades for a little while and lacks Cortana and most or all Metro apps.

I had to disable Cortana and a ton of metro apps in my enterprise image.

My users also used to get “suggested app” notifications until I got that turned off.

The only difference between enterprise and pro is that you’re actually able to turn those things off in enterprise.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Fool posted:

I had to disable Cortana and a ton of metro apps in my enterprise image.

My users also used to get “suggested app” notifications until I got that turned off.

The only difference between enterprise and pro is that you’re actually able to turn those things off in enterprise.

Yeah I think I’ve jumbled around what’s not in Enterprise with what’s actually not in LTSB. The short of it is, loving Microsoft and all their SKUs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pick some not-poo poo defaults please MS

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/s1guza/status/947603265700601856

:toot:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I am one of the biggest critics of MS's "content delivery" and appx in general, and I'm not even sure what infosec taylor swift is talking about. They disabled some group policies that could prevent the ads from showing up, but
a) that was in 2016, Redstone 2 was the spring 2017 update
b) those settings were never really effective because major updates are fresh installs and fresh installs of win10 have those junk apps no matter what policies or settings you try to use on them. poo poo comes back every 6 months no matter what.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bobfather posted:

I have no idea where you're getting this information.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Klyith posted:

I am one of the biggest critics of MS's "content delivery" and appx in general, and I'm not even sure what infosec taylor swift is talking about. They disabled some group policies that could prevent the ads from showing up, but
a) that was in 2016, Redstone 2 was the spring 2017 update
b) those settings were never really effective because major updates are fresh installs and fresh installs of win10 have those junk apps no matter what policies or settings you try to use on them. poo poo comes back every 6 months no matter what.

You could beat them by installing offline, deleting the stub files for the apps, then connecting. Perhaps that's no longer possible?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Grassy Knowles posted:

You could beat them by installing offline, deleting the stub files for the apps, then connecting. Perhaps that's no longer possible?

which is kinda more work than just right clicking a bunch of dumb ad tiles and selecting uninstall

But since this is the infosec thread, how do people here feel about appx in general? The driving force behind it seems to be security (also microsoft realizing they're the only company not making a 30% cut of every app sold on their platform).

But I've just had terrible luck with it, it seems too secure for it's own good. Right now I have some of the standard OS apps that are totally broken with Event 69 errors, which as far as I can tell mean that the permissions have gotten hosed up so they can't launch. (They also can't update, and I'm pretty sure the only thing that will fix it is an in-place reinstall. Which I can't be bothered to do so I'm just waiting for the spring update.)

My calculator doesn't work because its security is busted. That, IMHO, is a sign that your poo poo has gone off the rails.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Ah that's just Microsoft trying to cover up security flaws by preventing proofs of concept from launching calc.exe! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Happy new year :flame: