Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Monster Hunter has a fantastic story. You start as a scrub in a world where there's dragons made of stone that breath fire and leak poison from their pores and you want to kill them all :black101: it's the ultimate underdog story.

But seriously that world is horrifying.

In compensation though you get talking cats :3 I say it's a good trade-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

The biggest problem with Dragon's Dogma is the difficulty curve is all messed up. The first couple of hours it is almost impossible to kill anything but once you start leveling up and getting abilities just about everything becomes extremely easy.

A big part of the problem is the way the damage mitigation works. This isn't exactly right, but it's something like attack-armor=damage. So if you have 100 attack and the enemy has 100 armor, all your hits get pushed down to 1 damage. But if you have 120 attack, suddenly you're doing 20 times more damage. As a result it's easy for enemies to "outlevel" you and vice versa.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
A thief you hunt down across the map has a great line about how being an Arisen must be a job of leisure because you have time to deal with a petty thief instead of hunting the dragon

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd like a game to have the "wasting time doing sidequests while ignoring the plot" thing be because the main character knows the main villain wants him to come and fight him to fulfill something, and he's deliberately stalling just to punish him for doing so much damage unnecessarily. Have him giving the villain Final Confrontation Blue-Balls.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Mafia III has been pretty OK from a story perspective, and early 60's Not-New Orleans as a setting is super fun for both the music and the local flavor. However, the distinct lack of fast travel is supremely annoying. I can understand the need to force you to drive in some of the missions (especially those that unlock things like a silenced pistol) but at least give me the option to jump to the dude I need to talk to queue the cut scene objective introduction or bounce back to my burnt out bar so I can dump money in a safe. I have the feeling it was intentional, and maybe the developers wanted you to make it a risk to roll around with large amounts of cash but the driving gets mindless after a few hours in and I always want to hear the commercials and local programming more than the music they licensed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hatelull posted:

Mafia III has been pretty OK from a story perspective, and early 60's Not-New Orleans as a setting is super fun for both the music and the local flavor. However, the distinct lack of fast travel is supremely annoying. I can understand the need to force you to drive in some of the missions (especially those that unlock things like a silenced pistol) but at least give me the option to jump to the dude I need to talk to queue the cut scene objective introduction or bounce back to my burnt out bar so I can dump money in a safe. I have the feeling it was intentional, and maybe the developers wanted you to make it a risk to roll around with large amounts of cash but the driving gets mindless after a few hours in and I always want to hear the commercials and local programming more than the music they licensed.

I could have sworn there was some kind of fast travel when I played. I was pretty concussed at the time so I may be misremembering

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oh I forgot all about lightning being a horrible mechanic in Breath of the Wild. Hope you didn't like your weapons because gently caress you put that poo poo away.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, you can keep the immunity to rejection and still include some aspect of Jensen needing Neuropozyne. Because importantly, for most of Human Revolution, he doesn't know he doesn't need it; if you look in his bathroom he's got a couple boxes of the stuff, he only finds out he's a golden boy to Sarif and others because of that immunity later.
He doesn't know he's the golden child but during his first LIMB clinic visit he's told that he's not normal and he doesn't need to take it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4YnPjDD5lc&t=392s
I honestly don't remember if it's touched on at all for the rest of the game until you rescue Traitor Girlfriend and she spills the beans on who this mythical perfect Patient Zero is.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd like a game to have the "wasting time doing sidequests while ignoring the plot" thing be because the main character knows the main villain wants him to come and fight him to fulfill something, and he's deliberately stalling just to punish him for doing so much damage unnecessarily. Have him giving the villain Final Confrontation Blue-Balls.

I so wanted that to be a possible ending for the Lonesome Road DLC to New Vegas. You take one look at the Divide and nope the gently caress out because you don't care. Ulysses dies waiting for you to turn up, all the time looking at a clock and muttering "Where is he?"

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Sunswipe posted:

I so wanted that to be a possible ending for the Lonesome Road DLC to New Vegas. You take one look at the Divide and nope the gently caress out because you don't care. Ulysses dies waiting for you to turn up, all the time looking at a clock and muttering "Where is he?"

My canon ending is when the Courier refuses to nuke a settlement and just goes home.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Len posted:

Oh I forgot all about lightning being a horrible mechanic in Breath of the Wild. Hope you didn't like your weapons because gently caress you put that poo poo away.

Throw your swords at goblins right before the lightning strikes.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

their chance to fail is based on the difference between their level and the grift level; if they have a 40% chance to fail, you are doing way, way too low level of grifts. if you do a grift 13 levels higher than your gem level, all 4 chances will succeed.

basically this post is a bunch of completely failing to understand the mechanics of the game and bitching about them. diablo 3 is nowhere near a perfect game but this is all pretty lol

Neat, I was starting at the lowest levels because I saw that the PB thing upped blood shard capacity and it seems to work per rift.

So did I miss something else? Can I get actual estimated dps on my tooltips? I can maths it out if I'm understanding everything correctly but that still doesn't tell me real attack speed, cd, resource burn or damage at a glance.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

Hell the only reason to go west to the village that's trying to fight the dragon is that our pawn... says... so? The main character hasn't made a decision at all besides deciding to try to fight the dragon when it was actively making a mess.

A dragon made you immortal. Would you, personally, want to go murder that dragon and become a lovely mortal again?

The Moon Monster posted:

A big part of the problem is the way the damage mitigation works. This isn't exactly right, but it's something like attack-armor=damage. So if you have 100 attack and the enemy has 100 armor, all your hits get pushed down to 1 damage. But if you have 120 attack, suddenly you're doing 20 times more damage. As a result it's easy for enemies to "outlevel" you and vice versa.

Basically, this is why that one bandit is an rear end in a top hat but everything else around him and after him is easy. Defense and damage resist in Dragon's Dogma is super screwy and just a few points either way can be the difference between one shotting a guy and doing zero damage.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Gitro posted:

Neat, I was starting at the lowest levels because I saw that the PB thing upped blood shard capacity and it seems to work per rift.

So did I miss something else? Can I get actual estimated dps on my tooltips? I can maths it out if I'm understanding everything correctly but that still doesn't tell me real attack speed, cd, resource burn or damage at a glance.

Doesn't matter

Nothing in the details matters in D3. You play the highest difficulty you can until you get gear good enough to go higher still. When you're starting out, you'll sometimes get a big jump (set 2 bonus, 4 bonus, complete) but mostly it's somewhat smooth incremental upgrades. If Grifts annoy you, do some bounties instead. Put things in the cube, gamble new set pieces, adjust your build, realize it's suddenly far better. Go one Torment level higher. It's chill, don't sweat it. Have a good time and a happy new year!

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Doesn't matter

Nothing in the details matters in D3. You play the highest difficulty you can until you get gear good enough to go higher still. When you're starting out, you'll sometimes get a big jump (set 2 bonus, 4 bonus, complete) but mostly it's somewhat smooth incremental upgrades. If Grifts annoy you, do some bounties instead. Put things in the cube, gamble new set pieces, adjust your build, realize it's suddenly far better. Go one Torment level higher. It's chill, don't sweat it. Have a good time and a happy new year!

Sure, but I like the optimisation aspect in these kinds of games. Like I don't need an enemy-by-enemy breakdown of how much damage I'll do based on what effects are currently applying or whatever, but it'd be nice if I could easily see things like how much damage switching a skill to fire to grab some +elemental bonus I just rolled on a new gear piece is, or how big a difference this cooldown reduction mod makes or something.

Like it's chill, I was just playing and listening to Sawbones, up at Torment 2 now and enemy damage is enough to make me pay attention even if mine is a little lacking. I'm flipping around being a real angry boy and chucking big ol' throwing stars and shooting lots, it's different enough from PoE to make it worth sticking with. There's just a stream of little things dragging it down.

Happy new year to you too :toot:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I tried playing Borderlands 2 again in the middle of a crazy flu fever and I don't hate the game like I used to? But like. After Destiny 2's spectacular guns and smooth controls I just can't play Borderlands. It feels so slow and crusty in every regard, aiming is loose and movement just feels like a slow trundle. Enemies are also just really awkward to shoot at and I found myself still missing shots even though I had aimed dead center of a giant snow ape throwing a car at me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I guess I should have prefaced with the fact that I like both HR and MD in spite of those complaints? Sorry about your high blood pressure.
I'm not angry and my blood pressure's fine. I just disagree with some of the things you said. :shrug:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Started playing Ape Escape 2 - the controls feel very rubbery compared to the original, which isn't bad because it makes Hikaru much more flexible than Spike was, but it's hard to adjust.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I can't beat Darker Side of the Moon in Mario Odyssey. I can reliably get all the way to the swinging pendulums you have to bird stab up, but I always fluff a jump and plunge to my death. :(

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I really want to like persona 5 but holy poo poo the dialogue is bad. It just assumes that you are incapable of digesting any information, which means for every five minutes of gameplay you have ten minutes of text repeating stuff you've already been told.

Yes, I get it: if I screw around I get expelled. A palace is a projection of how a person sees their world, Morgana has explained this and ryuji has repeated it at least thirty times already.

There's maybe one sentence per conversation that contains any new information. The rest is people repeating themselves and somehow still not understanding, and periodically exclaiming "are you serious?" Or simply "...".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
As i understand it its a quirk in Japanese. Because Japanese is a more content dense language than English it seems "repetitive" because it takes less time to reiterate information.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm playing on the Nightmare difficulty in Evil Within 2 and it's great, but sometimes it can be difficult to tell if an enemy is alert versus simply being violent - Nightmare removes awareness indicators completely so you have to rely on body language.

Most basic enemies are quite erratic in body language (snarling and thrashing around as they walk, swinging their weapon at random, etc) but the difference between "snarling and running to a patrol point" and "Screaming and running towards the player who is in cover" can be a bit too subtle, and given your relative fragility can be fatal if you've misread.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I can't beat Darker Side of the Moon in Mario Odyssey. I can reliably get all the way to the swinging pendulums you have to bird stab up, but I always fluff a jump and plunge to my death. :(

Try this: when you're gliding along as that...gliding creature, just constantly shake your controller while moving straight ahead. He should be able to keep aloft high enough to skip all that nonsense straight to the next section.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I really want to like Tharsis but the gameplay literally boils down to rolling some dice and losing if you get less than 16, and losing next turn if you got a 17 because you secretly needed just a bit more of something else and you juuuuust missed it.

e: Like I get it's all about mitigation but you don't know in advance what you'll be mitigating, so it still comes down to luck or guesswork. I won after a few tries but I don't feel like I did anything differently to do so versus barely losing or bombing out in a few turns.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Jan 1, 2018

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RagnarokAngel posted:

As i understand it its a quirk in Japanese. Because Japanese is a more content dense language than English it seems "repetitive" because it takes less time to reiterate information.

i havent played P5 but if that's the case i might suggest that's more a translation issue than anything. repetition is really obvious in English. if it's not purposely being done for effect it can quickly become tiresome or annoying

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blind Sally posted:

i havent played P5 but if that's the case i might suggest that's more a translation issue than anything. repetition is really obvious in English. if it's not purposely being done for effect it can quickly become tiresome or annoying

Yeah, I heard Atlus did a great job with the localization, and while the writing all more or less feels natural, it’s not cleaned up nearly as well as Yakuza 0. Maybe that’s not a fair standard to hold it to, but that was the last localized game I played.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

River Krusts in Dishonored are super lame. They're effectively an organic turret I guess but they're super hard to see and hear before they activate and absolutely melt you. They don't even alert anyone to your presence so they're really just a fairly random extremely lethal health hazard. They can be killed in one hit too so it's like they exist just to make you go back to your last save every now and then.

I was also playing the DLC for the first game and it ruled very hard but I guess they didn't get to do as much QA as they do on the full games. You have a short range teleportation power and in this DLC when you are holding the button time stops. This is a cool feature because it lets you theoretically perform more complex sequences of teleportations in mid-air. It's boofed though because whenever I tried it it would maintain any falling momentum I had so I would explode when I landed. Even if I ended up horizontal to where I started if there was any falling between teleportations it would treat it as a long fall. The reason this happened so much is because the buffer between consecutive teleportations is so long that you will always fall a bit during them.

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Jan 1, 2018

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

I really want to like persona 5 but holy poo poo the dialogue is bad. It just assumes that you are incapable of digesting any information, which means for every five minutes of gameplay you have ten minutes of text repeating stuff you've already been told.

Yes, I get it: if I screw around I get expelled. A palace is a projection of how a person sees their world, Morgana has explained this and ryuji has repeated it at least thirty times already.

There's maybe one sentence per conversation that contains any new information. The rest is people repeating themselves and somehow still not understanding, and periodically exclaiming "are you serious?" Or simply "...".

I thought the worst part was the group phone conversations after beating a palace but before the change of heart. It's just everyone in the group endlessly repeating "Did it work? I guess we just don't know yet. The deadline is DATE so we'll find out then!". I would usually beat each dungeon as soon as possible so I'd have several of these conversations per chapter.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought the worst part was the group phone conversations after beating a palace but before the change of heart. It's just everyone in the group endlessly repeating "Did it work? I guess we just don't know yet. The deadline is DATE so we'll find out then!". I would usually beat each dungeon as soon as possible so I'd have several of these conversations per chapter.

I just had the same thing happen to me. I managed to steal Madarame's treasure with like eleven days still on the clock. It's going to be FINE Ryuuji now shut up so I can go eat a burger the size of my torso.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I recall during the P5 launch when people were calling out how stiff an awkward some of the translations were it came out the japanese office mandated the English voice use incorrect pronunciations of Japanese names.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

I recall during the P5 launch when people were calling out how stiff an awkward some of the translations were it came out the japanese office mandated the English voice use incorrect pronunciations of Japanese names.

Is that why they also mispronunce English names? “Ann” being pronounced like “On” is bugging me.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is that why they also mispronunce English names? “Ann” being pronounced like “On” is bugging me.

Yeah, people griped at the VAs when it came out and the lady who voices Ann said pretty much "Some stuff sounds weird because that's what the japanese clients had us do." It's why Ann is "On", Sakamoto is "Suh-ka-muh-toe", Takamaki is "Tuh-ka-muhki" and all those.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Try this: when you're gliding along as that...gliding creature, just constantly shake your controller while moving straight ahead. He should be able to keep aloft high enough to skip all that nonsense straight to the next section.

I tried that, but I think Nintendo might have patched it because you get automatically kicked out of him just before you get to the painting side of the void.

Buuuuut I have now done it the intended way. Got lucky with the Pokio jump and the rest was pretty easy. My palms were sweating in the final moments though, I really didn't want to gently caress up and go all the way back to the start.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Danaru posted:

I just had the same thing happen to me. I managed to steal Madarame's treasure with like eleven days still on the clock. It's going to be FINE Ryuuji now shut up so I can go eat a burger the size of my torso.

I cleared Palace 4 in three or four days. Futaba slept for almost a month and everyone just shrugged and gave up.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Moon Monster posted:

I didn't see that because I've only done the first palace and was only I think a day or two before the deadline.

The 30-second long unskippable animations after every fight are also rather annoying, as are the multiple loading screens between locations.

I feel like Persona 5 is a ten hour game that takes 100 hours to play because of all the stupid bullshit. I enjoy the plot concept, the combat, using different personas and juggling real life/phantom thieves life but the dialogue and presentation are so absolutely awful that it's making me struggle to continue.

This is the first JRPG I've played and not hated and thrown away within an hour, mind you.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm playing through Final Fantasy XV and I've just picked-up the skills that let you take direct control of your other party members and I'm guessing that Square didn't put much thought into the button combination for it. To bring up the menu you hold LT & LB at the same time, the problem is that I'm using control binding C which puts dodge on LT and lock-on is on LB. So every time I dodge while locked on it brings up the menu, thankfully it doesn't seem to actually interfere with dodging but it does make it hard to see during fights.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

I didn't see that because I've only done the first palace and was only I think a day or two before the deadline.

The 30-second long unskippable animations after every fight are also rather annoying, as are the multiple loading screens between locations.

I feel like Persona 5 is a ten hour game that takes 100 hours to play because of all the stupid bullshit. I enjoy the plot concept, the combat, using different personas and juggling real life/phantom thieves life but the dialogue and presentation are so absolutely awful that it's making me struggle to continue.

This is the first JRPG I've played and not hated and thrown away within an hour, mind you.

protip: hold down triangle during the post-fight stuff and they'll go by faster than if you were mashing X

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I honestly love the end of battle scenes in Persona 5, especially the All Out Attack splash screens, but I'm also on the opposite end of JRPG like-ery :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Veotax posted:

I'm playing through Final Fantasy XV and I've just picked-up the skills that let you take direct control of your other party members and I'm guessing that Square didn't put much thought into the button combination for it. To bring up the menu you hold LT & LB at the same time, the problem is that I'm using control binding C which puts dodge on LT and lock-on is on LB. So every time I dodge while locked on it brings up the menu, thankfully it doesn't seem to actually interfere with dodging but it does make it hard to see during fights.

Its a kludge because it didnt exist when the game launched, which many other things youll encounter will be or because they really were that unfinished at launch and never improved.

Its that kind of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

protip: hold down triangle during the post-fight stuff and they'll go by faster than if you were mashing X

I'll try this, thank you!

I'm sounding really hard on the game I know. I honestly am really intrigued by what's going on so I want to persevere, so I appreciate ways to skip the bullshit a bit.

Maybe it gets better in the next palace, too, because this one has been almost entirely:
"This is how he sees the school. It's his castle."
"Are you for real?!"
"Yes. He has power at the school, so in his mind it's his castle."
"That's crazy. Woah wait, are we in... the school?!"
"Yes, you see the school and the castle are the same thing."
"What?!"
"The castle is a projection of how he sees the school!"
"Those look just like the kids in school!"
"Yes, because the castle is just his projection of the school"
"Are you for real?!"
"So our plan is to stop him in the castle and steal his treasure, and that will affect him in the school"
"How?"
"You see, the castle is just his projection of the school. If we change one, we change the other!"
"Are you for real?!"

Repeated many, many times with Ryuji, and then a few times more with Ann just in case you were still not sure what was going on.