Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Avalerion posted:

I wanna say the monster design in pokemon is far above anything in Yokai and most digimon too, but that probably matters less if it did do well until recently. Like just now skimmed through a list of yokai and most of them don't look like anything.

Please don't disrespect the only two important Yokai, Swelton and Hungramps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm conflicted on the demise on Yo-kai Watch. On one hand, I don't care for it or its monster designs, and Pokémon's answer to it was the extremely annoying Rotomdex. On the other hand, Pokémon is better off with some healthy competition to spur it on. I have a feeling that lack of competition is part of why the series is so conservative at times.

I do think that Pokémon's greatest strengths is that
1. They established a varied but coherent roster of monsters with something for every taste
2. They've gone out of their way to make each Pokémon species unique in various ways, to the point of making each species its own "character"
3. They've committed to keeping each Pokémon going forwards

All of the other games in this genre haven't done this, to my knowledge, and they're weaker for it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

the_steve posted:

Speaking of non-pokemon monster games; I wish they'd revive Monster Rancher.

Swapping out disc after disc to see what you'd get was fun as hell, it was like opening booster packs (or any other form of gambling), except it was with stuff I already had.

Every time I get nostalgic for Monster Rancher I remember the combat system and then get less nostalgic for Monster Rancher.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mizuti posted:

I'm conflicted on the demise on Yo-kai Watch. On one hand, I don't care for it or its monster designs, and Pokémon's answer to it was the extremely annoying Rotomdex. On the other hand, Pokémon is better off with some healthy competition to spur it on. I have a feeling that lack of competition is part of why the series is so conservative at times.

I do think that Pokémon's greatest strengths is that
1. They established a varied but coherent roster of monsters with something for every taste
2. They've gone out of their way to make each Pokémon species unique in various ways, to the point of making each species its own "character"
3. They've committed to keeping each Pokémon going forwards

All of the other games in this genre haven't done this, to my knowledge, and they're weaker for it.

Exactly right. Like I said before I'm just bewildered why nobody looks at this and thinks hey maybe if I did that with my game it would be more successful. Maybe they really are just trying to milk flash in pan franchises I dunno. I guess it depends on much they're making.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I wish someone would wrest creative control of the Digimon franchise away from the insane fiends who currently do it. It's like they're all completely unaware of what made people like it in the first place.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just like catching the pocket monsters and wouldn't have know that digimon was still around or about yo-kai watch at all if it wasn't for this thread.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bleck posted:

I wish someone would wrest creative control of the Digimon franchise away from the insane fiends who currently do it. It's like they're all completely unaware of what made people like it in the first place.

I hope you're not making GBS threads on the Cyber Sleuth titles or we are going to have some very harsh words. :colbert:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

There should be at least one Pokemon game that plays more like Cyber Sleuth than Pokemon.
They've spun off into a bunch of other genres, is 'conventional turn-based RPG' too big of a stretch?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bleck posted:

Appmon is the best Digimon show period and the one ep where Agumon guest stars is better fanservice for Adventure fans than all of Tri.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Bleck posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. If you mean the games, they're very much in the best moment they've ever had, with two cohesive series instead of random ideas that refine the better known games (the first World and the Story/World DS games) and have ended in pretty playable and actually fun things that sold relatively well (although the newest game did nowhere near as well). I'd say that alone is being very aware of what made people like them in the first place.

If you mean the anime, well...

Strange Quark posted:

Appmon is the best Digimon show period and the one ep where Agumon guest stars is better fanservice for Adventure fans than all of Tri.

I wouldn't go this far (Tamers exists) but Appmon is definitely a top-tier Digimon show and ranked in the top 10 of the best anime of the year, so it clearly was very well-liked and actually very well-written too. Tri has...issues, undeniably, but it's pretty much weaponized nostalgia so that's clearly knowing what people liked about the franchise in the first place.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TaurusOxford posted:

I hope you're not making GBS threads on the Cyber Sleuth titles or we are going to have some very harsh words. :colbert:

'sup, sleuth buddy?
:hfive:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Flopsy posted:

Poke' Africa would be nuts. There's so many biomes to work with! The Sahara itself could count as a region for god sakes. Ooh wait...Poke' Egypt! DUDE imagine the pokemon designs out there.

Ages back, I actually did a map for a poke-Egypt game, complete with a set of gym leaders and their teams. Maybe I'll dig up the stuff I made on my old computer.

I remember the first gym was the Venom badge with a team of bulbasaur and ekans. I imagined that the bulbasaur line could live in a desert by burying their bodies in the sand during the day, and coming out at night to look for water and food.

I like to imagine what kind of regions might be the natural habitat of various starter Pokemon.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nessa posted:

Ages back, I actually did a map for a poke-Egypt game, complete with a set of gym leaders and their teams. Maybe I'll dig up the stuff I made on my old computer.

I remember the first gym was the Venom badge with a team of bulbasaur and ekans. I imagined that the bulbasaur line could live in a desert by burying their bodies in the sand during the day, and coming out at night to look for water and food.

I like to imagine what kind of regions might be the natural habitat of various starter Pokemon.

Oh dude, do it. I'd love to see that. Ever since regional variants came out I've been speculating on what established pokemon we have can be reworked into various cultures and environments. There's a guy whose channel I follow occasionally called Mr Buddy who makes speculative videos on possible pokemon regions based on real world places. It's surprisingly good if not a little fanwanky at times. Weirdly enough I feel like some the starter pokemon we get in other regions would have fit better into others. Like Serperior makes more sense as grass starter in Kalos and Greninja as a water starter in Johto but hey, maybe that's where they originated from.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Zore posted:

A lot of oversaturation in a very short period of time probably. They ran like 4 movies, a live action movie, three anime seasons, and three generations of game where the revision versions came out 4 months after the initial release all in 3 years. Also they kept loving with the toys and didn't build in any backwards compatibility so kids were supposed to just throw away their old watches to buy new ones with the same medals plus a few more every few months.

They looted the gently caress out of that IP and might just be lying low for a bit in the hopes it'll reignite interest.

Like to put it in perspective, Yokai Watch launched a few months after X/Y did and released the equivalent of 3 full generations of games and anime before Sun and Moon released. And managed to have 5 generations of watch toys. It was insane.

I went and re-read this, and now I'm morbidly curious. USUM rightfully got flak for not being significantly different enough from SM, and I have a feeling that 1 year worth of development time was not enough time to justify the average fan shelling out another 40 dollars USD.

Just what the hell of a difference did 4 months make? :wtc: Was it obvious that they were withholding content for the next version or something?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Pokemon at least has enough cultural momentum to survive a bad release or a few games coming out too quickly, Yokai Watch took a flying leap down the path of Guitar Hero and Five Nights at Freddy's.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mizuti posted:

I went and re-read this, and now I'm morbidly curious. USUM rightfully got flak for not being significantly different enough from SM, and I have a feeling that 1 year worth of development time was not enough time to justify the average fan shelling out another 40 dollars USD.

Just what the hell of a difference did 4 months make? :wtc: Was it obvious that they were withholding content for the next version or something?

I think they also did...some sort of recoloring business where they tried to sell the same yokai multiple times as different characters just with the colors switched around. It wasn't the same as shiny hunting... But definitely not the same amount of effort put into making regional variants. Lemmie find an example. Here we go:

http://yokaiwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Darkyubi

http://yokaiwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Kyubi

http://yokaiwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Frostail

There were more but I can't be arsed to list em' all. It's not a bad design per say, but jesus this is lazy.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Reverend you don't have PMs so here's the drat team code

Log Lady (Komala) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Comatose
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Return
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance

Dig My Grave (Cofagrigus) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Ally Switch
- Trick Room

Suplex (Pinsir-Mega) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Storm Throw
- Feint
- Protect

Manic Pixie (Clefairy) @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Follow Me
- Moonlight
- Cosmic Power

Otistic (Milotic) @ Adrenaline Orb
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Surf

Gom Jabbar (Toxicroak) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab
- Drain Punch

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Winning at the Battle Agency starts getting really difficult if you can't get decent NPCs into Festival Plaza. Just a bunch of level 50 jokers in mine despite taking the game online today...

What is the highest anyone has managed? I am at level 12 right now. i saw someone in the list at level 19 the other day.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Hammerite posted:

Winning at the Battle Agency starts getting really difficult if you can't get decent NPCs into Festival Plaza. Just a bunch of level 50 jokers in mine despite taking the game online today...

What is the highest anyone has managed? I am at level 12 right now. i saw someone in the list at level 19 the other day.

I'm at 11 and the highest I've seen was 9. i'm hoping the January Global Challenge will get more people doing the agency.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Eox posted:

Pokemon at least has enough cultural momentum to survive a bad release or a few games coming out too quickly, Yokai Watch took a flying leap down the path of Guitar Hero and Five Nights at Freddy's.

I was at home this Christmas and read through some old Pokemon magazines I had lying around from the late 90s heydey. A recurring question that popped up every few issues was if Pokemon would have legs or slowly wither away. The mag was primarily card-focused, but each time it was asked the authors were fairly confident that Pokemon would transcend past "fad" status. It makes me happy seeing their hopes come true. :unsmith:

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Ignite Memories posted:

Reverend you don't have PMs so here's the drat team code

I'll cherish it always

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

My one request is that when you inevitably accumulate a sick Ally Switch outplayzz frag reel you set it to "dig my grave" by tmbg

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is there someone I should be saving these mushrooms and/or pearls to sell to? Or just sell them at the PC?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Reinanigans posted:

Is there someone I should be saving these mushrooms and/or pearls to sell to? Or just sell them at the PC?

Just sell them. Pokémon games are really generous with their vendor trash, which makes sense since regular trainers aren't able to be re-battled in these games.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Dienes posted:

I'm at 11 and the highest I've seen was 9. i'm hoping the January Global Challenge will get more people doing the agency.

I saw a level 29 with a Garchomp just now, and used them to get to level 13. Unfortunately they are gone now and I'm back to the level 0 nobodies. Not sure what refreshes the list, but Serebii says if you add someone as a VIP you can use them for a few days, so I guess failing to do that was a fuckup on my part...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mizuti posted:

For Psychic Spectres, which is the Yokai Watch 2 version of Emerald, they added;

The ability to choose the faction you allied with instead of being forced into it like in Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls. The ability to catch the members of the new type introduced in the previous game that were just bullshit story battles before. And some postgame missions.

You can also transfer your save from Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls and pick up where you left off there since its literally the same game with a few bonuses.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.

Eox posted:

Monster Rancher with microtransactions :getin:

They did this already with a mobile game they put out. It.... wasn't great.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Zuzie posted:

Just sell them. Pokémon games are really generous with their vendor trash, which makes sense since regular trainers aren't able to be re-battled in these games.
I demand the return of the VS seeker in Gen 8. Fighting random rich kids or veteran trainers for some quick cash is so much less of a hassle than having to go through the entire elite four every time.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Flopsy posted:

I think they also did...some sort of recoloring business where they tried to sell the same yokai multiple times as different characters just with the colors switched around. It wasn't the same as shiny hunting... But definitely not the same amount of effort put into making regional variants. Lemmie find an example. Here we go:

http://yokaiwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Darkyubi

http://yokaiwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Kyubi

http://yokaiwatch.wikia.com/wiki/Frostail

There were more but I can't be arsed to list em' all. It's not a bad design per say, but jesus this is lazy.

digimon does the exact same thing, but i guess they have an advantage in being around for almost as long as pokemon so nobody cares as much. to be honest pokemon not just recoloring old pokemon to make new ones is the odd one out, but i'm glad of it

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

mandatory lesbian posted:

digimon does the exact same thing, but i guess they have an advantage in being around for almost as long as pokemon so nobody cares as much. to be honest pokemon not just recoloring old pokemon to make new ones is the odd one out, but i'm glad of it

I think that's one of the big factors that has made Pokémon last: almost no throwaway palette swap monsters. I mean, yeah, there are some Pokémon that are definitely not as remarkable in the mix, but the majority of them are liked, even if they are rarely someone's outright favorite. Overall, the lineup is memorable and marketable.

(It's probably part of why the elemental monkeys are so hated. They seem like generic disposable palette swaps with no interesting characteristics and it makes them stand out like a sore thumb.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Digimon also gets a bit of a pass because the monsters in question are rather explicitly digital, and games have pallet swaps.

Also the games came out in the mid nineties when the space/animation for 3d models was at a premium. Pokemon designs were all unique but they were also all static sprites.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Hammerite posted:

I saw a level 29 with a Garchomp just now, and used them to get to level 13. Unfortunately they are gone now and I'm back to the level 0 nobodies. Not sure what refreshes the list, but Serebii says if you add someone as a VIP you can use them for a few days, so I guess failing to do that was a fuckup on my part...

Only a few days? drat. Would have been nice if a handful of goons could all VIP each other to beat it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mizuti posted:

I think that's one of the big factors that has made Pokémon last: almost no throwaway palette swap monsters. I mean, yeah, there are some Pokémon that are definitely not as remarkable in the mix, but the majority of them are liked, even if they are rarely someone's outright favorite. Overall, the lineup is memorable and marketable.

(It's probably part of why the elemental monkeys are so hated. They seem like generic disposable palette swaps with no interesting characteristics and it makes them stand out like a sore thumb.)

The genies are a far better example of pallette swaps but even they have differences in designs between them (the tail)

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The genies are a far better example of pallette swaps but even they have differences in designs between them (the tail)

Also their hair and number of horns.

Even Game Freak probably figured they were too similar to each other and designed alternate Therian formes for them in Black and White 2. Since then they've been better received.

Shiny Pokémon could be counted as pallette swaps, but the whole point is that they're supposed to be extremely rare so people make a big deal out of them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

My top five places I want the next games to be set in are:

1. Poke-Brazil
2. Poke-Alaska/Canada
3. Poke-China
4. Poke-New Zealand
5. Poke-Egypt

Runner ups include Poke-Italy and Poke-Russia

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zuzie posted:

Since then they've been better received.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Anyone have a spare 6iv non-eng Ditto laying around, or know who can... "catch" one?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

My top five places I want the next games to be set in are:

1. Poke-Brazil
2. Poke-Alaska/Canada
3. Poke-China
4. Poke-New Zealand
5. Poke-Egypt

Runner ups include Poke-Italy and Poke-Russia

Thems some drat fine regions right there. Honestly at this point my fondest wish is a alternate evolution/regional variant of aromatisse that has a heavier plague doctor influence. If I got that I would probably weep with joy. That is another thing pokemon has going for it that makes me super happy. The possibility of old designs getting fresh make overs. Alolan marowak rules, and I might be the minority on this but Alolan persian is cute as hell with it's big squishy cheeks. Reminds me of my cat and how she has to lay on anything I'm reading because I could be putting my hands to better use. I.E. face rubs.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

We still have the gen 4 pixies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Mizuti posted:

Guilty confession: I like simisage because he gives me a 50's greaser vibe and I think he's sorta precious. The other two though...eh.