Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Rick Rickshaw posted:

He has been this far in the hole before. He actually is getting a fairly significant raise, so he should be able to pay me back, but it will definitely take him at least a few months.

Once he pays me back, I am going to tell him I'm done being his interest free bank, and he will have to leave if he goes in the hole again.

He has a negative net worth and mine is a couple hundred grand, so none of this feels very material to me honestly. Just good for a laugh. I save $3000 monthly so him owing me $3k is not a huge deal.

Guillotine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sirotan posted:

:wtc:

Is the "raw water" movement happening because we've forgotten how miserable life is without clean municipal water supplies? Or am I being too kind, and people are just that loving stupid?

People are just that loving stupid. Someone is going to get sick and/or die from that water eventually. Source: I design potable water systems for a living.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Snake oil salesmen never die, they just adapt. No matter how much info there is on the internet, there will always be someone dumb enough to buy your shills. People are dumb, and this is a good example of why rich people are usually just lucky, not super smart.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

But the snake oil is additive-free, right? And is it essential snake oil, or just regular snake oil?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

SpelledBackwards posted:

But the snake oil is additive-free, right? And is it essential snake oil, or just regular snake oil?

BWM: Essential Snake Oil

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Rick Rickshaw posted:

He has been this far in the hole before. He actually is getting a fairly significant raise, so he should be able to pay me back, but it will definitely take him at least a few months.

Once he pays me back, I am going to tell him I'm done being his interest free bank, and he will have to leave if he goes in the hole again.

He has a negative net worth and mine is a couple hundred grand, so none of this feels very material to me honestly. Just good for a laugh. I save $3000 monthly so him owing me $3k is not a huge deal.

Maybe spend some of that money on a literacy class

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

TrueChaos posted:

People are just that loving stupid. Someone is going to get sick and/or die from that water eventually. Source: I design potable water systems for a living.

Hmm, sounds like someone can't handle a little competition!

Tales Of Desire
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, raw water's got the fatcats at Big Water shaking in their boots!

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Hmm, sounds like someone can't handle a little competition!

Thats competition I'd welcome!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Most left-leaning stupid pseudo-health practices have little to no downside besides wasting large amounts of money, so I'm really happy about this raw water one and the suffering that will come with it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Blinkman987 posted:

Most left-leaning stupid pseudo-health practices have little to no downside besides wasting large amounts of money, so I'm really happy about this raw water one and the suffering that will come with it.

Pretty much all of them have the downside of substituting for real treatment; see Steve Jobs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Pretty much all of them have the downside of substituting for real treatment; see Steve Jobs.

Anything that sickens or kills large numbers of dumb rich people is cool with me.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Yeah, should have put scare quotes on "downside"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

therobit posted:

LOL please tell us about the size of your... net worth.

Sorry I'm late -- NYE prep. I saw the humblebrag signal?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

kimbo305 posted:

Sorry I'm late -- NYE prep. I saw the humblebrag signal?

Getting made fun of for my alleged humblebrag was worth it for this joke.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Getting made fun of for my alleged humblebrag was worth it for this joke.

It's stupid how much people overreact but next time, just stick to "I've been lucky, so..." We don't need details.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

totalnewbie posted:

It's stupid how much people overreact but next time, just stick to "I've been lucky, so..." We don't need details.

Yea fair enough. I was just trying to highlight why I would let my roommate take advantage.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Yea fair enough. I was just trying to highlight why I would let my roommate take advantage.

Omg shut up already

See if you can restrain yourself from replying to this post too

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

re: thread title

DO NOT PUT ESSENTIAL OILS ON YOUR VAGINA FFS

Seriously don't do it, even if they are branded as "yoni oil"

"Fine, I'll do my homework if it gets this crazy lady away from me"

whyyy would you post this
possibly NMS https://i.imgur.com/cIxrwie.jpg

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
what exactly are essential oils that's making you freak out? i mean i see why putting flower oil or whatever on your vagina might be bad, but i dont see how it's harming the kids. i mean yeah its not helping either but whatever

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

#wowdoseoilsweallywork

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mandatory lesbian posted:

what exactly are essential oils that's making you freak out? i mean i see why putting flower oil or whatever on your vagina might be bad, but i dont see how it's harming the kids. i mean yeah its not helping either but whatever

They are hugely concentrated expressions of things that can have active pharmacological effects. In normal use, as flavorants or scents, they wind up being enormously diluted in the final product. When you're dealing with the actual essential oil itself even casual exposure can be toxic. Some of these things have historically been used as loving abortifacients. At the very least, there's a good potential for severe skin irritation, hyperphotosensitivity, etc.

Putting raw undiluted essential oil of anything on your child's bare skin is loving child abuse.

https://www.webmd.com/children/news/20160513/more-children-accidently-poisoned-by-essential-oils

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
well drat, okay then

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Not helping is harming. If you were responsible for someone and they broke their arm, you rubbing an aspirin on them instead of getting appropriate treatment would be harming them through neglect. They want to insist in the same breath that their kids don't need any medication or treatment but that herbs and oils are the appropriate medication and treatment. It's horseshit.

Herbs and their essential oils aren't inert substances. Peppermint, wintergreen and eucalyptus are especially dangerous--even applied topically they can cause kids to essentially have asthma attacks and cardiac arrest even if they don't have asthma, they irritate the upper GI tract, and cause problems for people with heartburn or gallbladder issues if taken internally. Peppermint is the first thing these fuckers recommend for anyone with any GI or respiratory complaint. Lavender oil, which everyone likes to slather all over themselves for some reason, cause liver damage if taken internally and lavender "teas" are extremely popular with the menstruating and agitated crowd. Citrus oils cause photosensitivity and can leave someone with a severe sunburn from a surprisingly small amount of sunlight. Most herbs cause liver damage if ingested and some of our most potent medications and poisons are derived from them. Some of them cause poisoning through the skin, like camphor, while others just leave you with a nasty rash. Because essential oils are so concentrated, the risk of overdose is extremely high--we're talking half drop differences in some cases. These are not precision manufactured and dosed substances.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NancyPants posted:

Not helping is harming. If you were responsible for someone and they broke their arm, you rubbing an aspirin on them instead of getting appropriate treatment would be harming them through neglect. They want to insist in the same breath that their kids don't need any medication or treatment but that herbs and oils are the appropriate medication and treatment. It's horseshit.

Herbs and their essential oils aren't inert substances. Peppermint, wintergreen and eucalyptus are especially dangerous--even applied topically they can cause kids to essentially have asthma attacks and cardiac arrest even if they don't have asthma, they irritate the upper GI tract, and cause problems for people with heartburn or gallbladder issues if taken internally. Peppermint is the first thing these fuckers recommend for anyone with any GI or respiratory complaint. Lavender oil, which everyone likes to slather all over themselves for some reason, cause liver damage if taken internally and lavender "teas" are extremely popular with the menstruating and agitated crowd. Citrus oils cause photosensitivity and can leave someone with a severe sunburn from a surprisingly small amount of sunlight. Most herbs cause liver damage if ingested and some of our most potent medications and poisons are derived from them. Some of them cause poisoning through the skin, like camphor, while others just leave you with a nasty rash. Because essential oils are so concentrated, the risk of overdose is extremely high--we're talking half drop differences in some cases. These are not precision manufactured and dosed substances.

So it's like buying Chinese research chemicals off a darknet market, but NATURAL!

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
A patient of mine (a dog) suffered severe chemical burns when the owners spilled some essential oil on her. They were trying to dab it on a wart to burn it off. The resulting veterinary bills were much higher than any treatment I would have recommended for the wart, plus the poor dog's pain. Definitely BWM.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Wikipedia posted:

Tea tree oil is poisonous when taken internally.[1][4] It may cause drowsiness, confusion, hallucinations, coma, unsteadiness, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach upset, blood cell abnormalities, and severe rashes. It should be kept away from pets and children.[1] Tea tree oil should not be used in or around the mouth.

Topical application of tea tree oil can cause adverse reactions at high concentration. Adverse effects including skin irritation, allergic contact dermatitis, systemic contact dermatitis, linear immunoglobulin A disease, erythema multiforme like reactions, and systemic hypersensitivity reactions.

Lavender and tea tree oils have estrogenic/anti-androgenic properties and have been linked to gynecomastia in young boys when applied topically. Fortunately the "GeneYus" blend doesn't contain these two oils, but I don't doubt the boss mom is using other magickal blends that do contain them on her poor son.

Citrus peel oils can act as photosensitizers when applied topically.

Oils are especially dangerous to children if accidentally ingested. Somehow I don't think these people are keeping their snake oils properly locked away.

Also despite many of these oils being highly toxic to small animals (especially cats) YL/doTerra distributors often advocate using them on pets.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

By lavender “tea” do you mean tea with lavender oil added or tea with lavender flowers added? Because if the latter is bad for you, that’s really sad. That stuff is delicious.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
readin a book on the siege of sarajevo, smuggling therein. seems interesting

apparently it cost 0.5-3k german marks (in 1999, 2 german marks to the euro, so prolly about 0.3-2k euros nowadays. ofc bosnian money was worthless) to get smuggled out
could smuggle a $5 kilo of coffee in and it would sell for 450 marks
cookies for $2, sell for $11
(lol, as I eat $9 cookies rn)

100 marks to bribe un peacekeepers to let you in the airport, because the un had an agreement with the serbs to not let random bosnians in the airport. some french dudes smuggled ammo in backpacks by paying off peacekeepers, 2k marks per backpack

there was a tunnel that city govt constructed under the un-held airport. the serbs said that it was a violation of the agreement with the un to keep the siege, but the un was like "what tunnel? what's this tunnel speak that you speak about? don't hear no tunnels, la di dah". this lowered the price of gasoline from 200 marks per liter to 40 and beef to 50 marks per kilo

the serbs would sell some croats arms literally days after the same serbians were shooting at the same croats. all the way up to some serb sold a tank to bosnian soldiers for 10k marks. there was another episode where a buncha serbs sold a battalion of bosnians 1000 kilos of beef and 10 watermelons, while they were ostensibly watching them across the frontline

there was a functioning holiday inn that the author talks about at length, didn't know that, lol. 50 marks per meal, "At night, the hotel resembles Casablanca." they had a deal with the serbs to not get hit

the last newspaper in sarajevo, the oslobodenje, got all sorts of international prizes and poo poo and then used all of it on diesel fuel for generators and smuggling newsprint

"one liter of milk could be traded for a pack of cigarettes - described as 'the best exchange between babies and smokers known in history'". 10 packs of cigarettes for 100 marks.

so: warzones, bwm for some, gwm for others. try not to be in them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The raw water poo poo is backed by the Juicero guy. Game, set, match.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

By lavender “tea” do you mean tea with lavender oil added or tea with lavender flowers added? Because if the latter is bad for you, that’s really sad. That stuff is delicious.

The latter is fine. Culinary lavender is used in recipes around the world, particularly in southern French cuisine, and is part of the Herbes de Provence spice blend sold in the US. It has been confirmed as safe for food use by the NIH though they don't recommend pregnant or breastfeeding women take it.

Problem with lavender oil, or any essential oil, is that it's extremely concentrated so a much smaller amount can cause harm.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
This thread is too oily.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The 10 watermelons included with 1,000 kg of beef is a nice touch.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

Youth Decay posted:

re: thread title

DO NOT PUT ESSENTIAL OILS ON YOUR VAGINA FFS

Seriously don't do it, even if they are branded as "yoni oil"

Involuntarily crossed my legs when I saw tea tree oil. The rest of the description wasn't better.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there was a functioning holiday inn that the author talks about at length, didn't know that, lol. 50 marks per meal, "At night, the hotel resembles Casablanca." they had a deal with the serbs to not get hit try not to be in them

Yes, it was the one hotel in town for all the reporters during the war. Looks like a giant custard. It is badly decayed, no longer part of the Holiday Inn brand (kept the sign though) and seemed to be run by organized crime when I stayed there a few years ago.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blinkman987 posted:

VideoTapir posted:

Midjack posted:

Anything that sickens or kills large numbers of dumb rich people is cool with me.
Finally!!! Welcome, new converts. The prayer hall is 2nd door on the left, washrooms are 3rd door down.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7ngakb/my_workplace_401ks_sp_500_index_fund_had_a_super/

quote:

My workplace 401k’s S&P 500 index fund had a super high expense ratio of 1.63% and I feel that’s highest robbery.

I’ve already said something to the owner who spoke to our TPA and they said they can now get us a better rate because the account has more money in if. I guess we are moving to another company to save 50 basis points. However I still think that’s way to high. What can I do ... just shut up and keep contributing to get the 3.5% match or remove myself from plan and just contribute to my Roth IRA... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

>>> Maximize the employer match and then max out your IRA. Your employer's plan has relatively high fees, but there are people who invest in retirement plans with even higher fees.

Thanks I most likely will do that as I’ll still be up about 1.87% (3.5 match less 1.63 fee)... it’s just so frustrating not sure how they get away with it

I see two things with percent signs so I guess I just add them together.

Droo fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 2, 2018

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7nh40r/would_investing_in_cryptocurrency_affect_my_low/

quote:

Would investing in cryptocurrency affect my low income program eligibility? (USA)

I make minimum wage and I live in California. I would like to get into cryptocurrency a bit (like a good $200) but I'm hesitant. My concerns are if this investment would affect my Medi-cal eligibility, qualifications for low income programs and low income tax returns.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If anything it should bolster his case for mental disability benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Droo posted:

I see two things with percent signs so I guess I just add them together.
I would love to hear this person explain what they think expense ratio or company match mean.

EDIT: I found the OP but the answers in that thread aren't much better and it's hard not to chip in with my own bullshit numbers.

BWM content: My job the last few years has been to shut down a (successful) SaaS product. I figure every month I delete about a million dollars in revenue.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 2, 2018