Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

that above p much applies to all melee DPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
since we're posting HOA violations, can you spot my house?

gently caress HOAs forever

RME
Feb 20, 2012

RME posted:

it all depends on what youre doing and how willing you are to micromanage swapping in and out

if youre solo
Second Wind, Bloodbath, True North, Leg Sweep, whatever (I think feints the only thing let that does anything)
but youre probably only using the heal ones a lot

dungeon
DIVERSION, second wind, invigorate, goad, bloodbath
your tank should take care of any stuns that are actually useful in dungeons
True north is also good

8man
this becomes fight dependent
Diversion, Second Wind, True North are going to be staples
Feint is a great skill if theres physical AoE. Mitigation is the whole party's responsibility!
Invigorate is good if you die or if there's an AoE phase but a brd/mch using Tactician can nullify the need for it.
Bloodbath is great filler that can save you or save the healer from needing to heal you.
Arms Length is good if there's a knockback that's dangerous
There's no raid fights with purgeable slows and its hard to imagine you'd do it over a healer for crutch
There's no fights right now that need a stun, and in the case there is one soon you're probably still after Tanks bringing stun or MNK holding shoulder tackle or w/e
Goad you're tank if they keep dying

maybe this is a lot to process but if you ever forget just look at the button and say "if i press this does it do anything"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Since I'm at level 60 I decided on focusing on Raid stuff for now, so I took Diversion, Second Wind, True North, Bloodbath, and Arm's Length.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

RME posted:

True North is mandatory on all melee dps
you dont have to bother in like dungeons if you wanna bring something else but theres pretty much no rules in those anyways
True North is for babbies and savage raiders trying to eek out every onze of damage to beat encounters ahead of the gear curve.

Positionals are what make most Melee DPS fun.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

EponymousMrYar posted:

True North is for babbies and savage raiders trying to eek out every onze of damage to beat encounters ahead of the gear curve.

You use True North when positionals are impossible though

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm beginning to think Briardien isn't any better at this stuff than Hildy.

He has the misfortune of being a serious and competent investigator in a silly questline. As a result, all of his rational deductions have to be wrong for comedic effect.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

True North should have no cooldown, but instead deduct 1,000 gil every time you use it. Let me pay my way into being lazy.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TFRazorsaw posted:

Since I'm at level 60 I decided on focusing on Raid stuff for now, so I took Diversion, Second Wind, True North, Bloodbath, and Arm's Length.

I'm gonna guess you haven't started watching streamer compilation videos yet, so you haven't yet seen Drak whimper about getting double-Shirked, but:

Please note that Diversion only halves the threat gain of your abilities starting from when you hit the button. It does absolutely nothing to the threat you already have, which means that if you're popping it after you accidentally pulled aggro, that's too late.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I generally wait a few seconds till after the tank has done stuff to run in, but good to know.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

If you pop diversion as the tank runs in and you run in, you're pretty free to go hog wild from t0 so long as the tank isn't pure rear end. Even more so as DRG where you want to put up HT and your piercing debuff before you blow blood for blood, jumps, and start your big damage combo.

Ranged magical DPS has it the best because you can take diversion and refresh, with almost no downside.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This is going to sound stupid, but "HT"? You mean Heavy Thrust, right?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Yeah.

e: My DRG is only 65 but I leveled 50-60 almost entirely in Alliance dungeon roulette and trials, so I got to know the current 50 rotation pretty well. Open with Diversion, Heavy thrust (1.15x damage buff) on the flank, move behind, then impulse drive, disembowl (1.05x multiplier on most attacks), hit blood for blood now (+20% damage buff), then Chaos Thurst from the back (long dot), then you start weaving your jumps in between attacks as you do the "TTT" combo (true thrust, vorpal trust, full thrust). Always use life surge before Full thrust when it's up. Then you just repeat the TTT combo until HT needs refreshed, and then around the same time the Chaos Thrust DOT and disembowel debuff will be coming off. So you just HT, then do the chaos thrust combo again, and back to the TTT combo.

Never try to double weave with jump (use two OGCs between attacks) because I believe the animation from the jump makes it take too long.

And elusive jump is so good when you get the hang of it.

I'm leveling SAM the same way as DRG now, and even though SAM does more damage, DRG was may more fun to play in the 50s.

itskage fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 31, 2017

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

As a note, RDMs opener (assuming you get a countdown and hardcast VerThunder) is like 1100 potency in the first couple of GCDs, so you do really, really want diversion.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

You use True North when positionals are impossible though

And in most encounters you're still going to have impossible positionals that you can't True North because it's on CD from the last time they were impossible. It's overall a pretty marginal benefit (which does make it more useful in raids than several other role actions yes.)

If you're going to focus on raiding then yeah, take True North and get used to it.

I'd rather be lazy about my Role Actions than lazy about my positionals.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

i also, hate to push buttons

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I am hella PEEVED posted:

As a note, RDMs opener (assuming you get a countdown and hardcast VerThunder) is like 1100 potency in the first couple of GCDs, so you do really, really want diversion.

So many RDMs in ADR popping off on the boss and then kiting it around is so annoying. Half of them are doing it on purpose I know, but I don't want to chase the boss around a melee DPS.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

"heres a button you press to increase DPS when you otherwise couldnt"
"woah woah woah lets not advise someone who's asking for help here"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

RME posted:

"heres a button you press to increase DPS when you otherwise couldnt"
"woah woah woah lets not advise someone who's asking for help here"

There are people out there who push True North in order to increase their DPS when they cannot make their positionals even if they were to try and that is good and fine.

There are people out there who push True North in order to ignore their positionals for a little bit and gain a bit more damage that way and that is ok.

There are people out there who push True North because they don't really want to bother with positionals in the first place and that is bad.

Please push buttons and do your positionals as best you can.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

There are people out there who push True North in order to increase their DPS when they cannot make their positionals even if they were to try and that is good and fine.

There are people out there who push True North in order to ignore their positionals for a little bit and gain a bit more damage that way and that is ok.

There are people out there who push True North because they don't really want to bother with positionals in the first place and that is bad.

Please push buttons and do your positionals as best you can.

Who gives a poo poo about your strawman
The fact they’re asking a question about how to do something means they’re already ahead of the curve so if they ask a question you should maybe give them an answer that actually helps them towards their ends
Just because some people use it poorly doesn’t mean it’s less good or not recommended, just like learning an opener is recommended even if plenty of people you encounter in the of won’t use theirs, because it might be made to line up with the trick attack your ninja didn’t use it still will get all your cool downs running for the rest of your fight, and usually will pop diversion before your biggest burst to help any tank manage threat
Also I’m not even sure what you mean by being lazy about role actions because it’s actually useful in other contexts, unlike goad which is a dead button in solo play and less useful in 8mans where you’re likely to have a tactician in the party

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I finished Hildibrand.

When will this freaking game stop turning characters I love into traitors.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
If the potential to misuse a skill makes that skill bad then I have some bad news about most skills.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He has the misfortune of being a serious and competent investigator in a silly questline. As a result, all of his rational deductions have to be wrong for comedic effect.

Briardien is much better in HW spin-off. As is WoL themselves.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So am I right in thinking that before you hit the Stormblood content, Gauss Barrel is just a regular old temporary damage buff with a cooldown? Pop it if you’ve got it, watch your numbers go up for a while, no further management required?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Lol wtf people are hating on True North now? "someone recommended a cool and useful melee dps cooldown role ability, here are all the reasons why they are hitler"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

RME posted:

Also I’m not even sure what you mean by being lazy about role actions because it’s actually useful in other contexts, unlike goad which is a dead button in solo play and less useful in 8mans where you’re likely to have a tactician in the party

If you're going to infer an insult at me on pushing buttons I'm going to point out the targets you're actually aiming at and really, I shouldn't have done that because now we're off the rails on the real issue here:

Once you have the big 3 of Invigorate, Diversion and Second Wind all other Role Actions become questions of personal preference/chosen class, party composition and specific fight mechanics rather than hard and fast 'you should have this' rules.

Once you're comfortable with your class and you've learned a good opener or two you need to take the other two factors into account. If you choose to raid primarily through duty or party finder rather than a static group, you're probably going to have to rely more on your own resources and buttons than others. That puts more weight on what you're most comfortable role actions are and what mechanics of the fight you're going into.

Example: Feint is useless on a 100% magic damage boss, True North is useless on an Omnidirectional boss (because you can't NOT get positional bonuses on those) and of marginal use if you're good at hitting your positionals anyway, there are currently no raid mechanics where Crutch can be used, etc. etc.
Also as a DRG you have a grand total of 4 positionals, all at the end of your combos. True North simply isn't as valuable to you as it is to MNK, full stop. MNK's are the only class I would agree that True North is something they should have and use.

Or, to tldr things: True North is not mandatory for all melee DPS it's merely another generally-useful option. Unless you're a MNK, then you really should have it.

That's my useful and helpful advice, please take it with a pinch of salt.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

true north is more mandatory than invig is this sb world

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
True north is the most consistently useful melee role ability. Pretty much the only situation it's useless is if the boss is omnidirectional. In all other cases, it's probably gonna translate into a direct damage boost, because bosses frequently either force you to hit them from the front or spin around in unpredictable ways. Diversion might be more important if you're SAM or MNK, but you should definitely still use true north as well 99% of the time.

It's also great for soloing.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Once you have the big 3 of Invigorate, Diversion and Second Wind all other Role Actions become questions of personal preference/chosen class, party composition and specific fight mechanics rather than hard and fast 'you should have this' rules.

The issue here is that second wind is a mediocre ability. Goad, Invigorate, Diversion and True north are the 4 more or less unimpeachable choices for melee dps with second wind being a solid 5th choice for general play, although you may get more mileage out of leg sweep. Your tl;dr is technically correct, but is bad as a generalist point of advice for someone levelling up a fresh melee dps. There are way, way, way more instances where being able to ignore positionals for a bit will be the highest net gain of dps any of your role actions can have, and by the time a person gets to the point where they are min maxing role skills based on fight conditions, they would have enough sense to know to drop true north on an omni directional fight anyway.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 1, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

When will this freaking game stop turning characters I love into traitors.

Never, unless it's killing them off. :unsmigghh:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Swole Goblins as a group finally cleared that very rude tree.

Got our last two party members their clears, and I got my AST weapon and a chest for BRD.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Don't ever talk to me or my son again

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

The issue here is that second wind is a mediocre ability. Goad, Invigorate, Diversion and True north are the 4 more or less unimpeachable choices for melee dps with second wind being a solid 5th choice for general play, although you may get more mileage out of leg sweep. Your tl;dr is technically correct, but is bad as a generalist point of advice for someone levelling up a fresh melee dps. There are way, way, way more instances where being able to ignore positionals for a bit will be the highest net gain of dps any of your role actions can have, and by the time a person gets to the point where they are min maxing role skills based on fight conditions, they would have enough sense to know to drop true north on an omni directional fight anyway.

da faq?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'd only bring goad if I was in a dungeon where heavy aoe is the name of the game. With SB TP costs you're never going to run out on single targets (i.e. raid bosses), and neither is anyone else, unless you die. Hell, even invigorate is optional if you're good enough to not die. I don't run it on my MCH (to be fair I have tactician on that).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Swole Goblins as a group finally cleared that very rude tree.

Got our last two party members their clears, and I got my AST weapon and a chest for BRD.

I want to clear O4S. I'll settle for A12S. Or Shinryu EX. :negative:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I want to clear O4S. I'll settle for A12S. Or Shinryu EX. :negative:

It’s all perseverance. Everyone sucks until they put in the hours. Just accept that it’s going to take many hours of wiping and sometimes dealing with toxic jerks (unless you roll with friends).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think BRD is the only job that is actually TP negative enough that they can theoretically run out in single target situations and they can take care of themselves with Tactician. There also aren't very many situations where you AOE in current high end content. Goad isn't very good in 8 mans. It's definitely less useful than Feint.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

going through the main story in the snowy elflands, this Inquisitor dude needs to gently caress off

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Time now to begin my adventure in the land of frozen assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seems like the de-saturating snow filter poo poo is finally gone from the housing areas