Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

The last couple ones I was in, it was just a small take-out counter fronted by literally two small tables for someone who needed to wait or eat there, backed by an enormous kitchen area. But usually I'm just doing delivery if I'm getting Dominos. :shrug:

I mean the waiting/pickup area was clean and not like it was unpleasant or anything, it's just boring.

So the new Domino's are very nice and make by far the best chain pizza I've ever had. I'd say a good fresh pizza from a new one competes even with some of our local mom and pop shops.

It sits in the same building as a liquor store and has pretty nice decor. Includes a lot of seats inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
And honestly eating fast food in foreign restaurants gives you some insight as to local tastes and cuisines, since they tend to tweak their food toward what local people are used to tasting.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
As someone whose wife is actually celiac I can say we never go to restaurants that are cuisine specific like pizza or pasta shops even if they do have gluten free marked on like one or two items. We know that if prepping gluten free food isn’t an every day thing then its going to be a pita for the cooks and probably risky for my wife.

We have like 4 restaurants that we visit regularly. One is a Pho shop that is 100% GF. The next is a Brazilian cheese bread place which is also 100% GF. Then we have a nice sushi joint and an last an american bistro that has like half a menu full of GF stuff, along with dedicated cooking area and machines for it.

Being actually celiac is serious and seriously sucky, and we really appreciate the restaurants that go the mile to make their food accessible. OTOH we’d honestly prefer the restaurants that don’t want to go all the way just skip it as an option all together. All it does is feed the fakers sense of importance, and real celiacs don’t eat there to begin with.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

Here's a question: why does it loving matter if someone lies about an allergy or not? So they want their meal a certain way, and they want the restaurant to be really careful about it so it doesn't get hosed up. It's not something I would do personally, but it's not worth getting pissed off about it either.

because food allergies are taken very seriously and it sucks to go through the effort involved to make sure someone doesn't die, only for the reveal that said person with an allergy is just a liar who thinks they can manipulate the system. like, if you dont like tomato, ask for no tomato, if it happens to get screwed up we'll remake it

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Being actually celiac is serious and seriously sucky, and we really appreciate the restaurants that go the mile to make their food accessible. OTOH we’d honestly prefer the restaurants that don’t want to go all the way just skip it as an option all together. All it does is feed the fakers sense of importance, and real celiacs don’t eat there to begin with.

yeah exactly. it's not like we didn't have gluten free options on the menu. we'd have for real celiacs ask for unbreaded chicken parm with sauteed veggies, because that's a gluten free traditional italian dish. asking for gluten free pasta is like asking for vegan chicken, it makes one question whether the person placing the order is really vegan (but we'll give you the benefit of the doubt regardless and use clean pans/utensils)

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 31, 2017

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
vegan chicken is usually short hand for something like tempeh or seitan cut and textured to be similar to chicken, and i've had some extremely delicious pasta that was made from red lentils, so in conclusion, i am allergic to your posts

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Well yea, at home we have like six or so different gluten free pastas we make because I grew up on pasta and god himself couldn’t take it away from me. We have red lentil, chickpea, quinoa, as well as a couple more standard ones that all taste really good. I just don’t expect an Italian restaurant to have them in stock.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Panfilo posted:

And honestly eating fast food in foreign restaurants gives you some insight as to local tastes and cuisines, since they tend to tweak their food toward what local people are used to tasting.

Yeah, it shouldn't be all you eat or the majority of what you eat but it's really interesting to see food that is built around uniformity made very differently. A Mexican coke tastes different. A kit Kat bar is like three totally different candies depending what continent you are on. An Indian mcdonalds doesn't serve beef. A Korean pizza hut is an alien world of corn and mayo and seafood. It's cool to go around the world and see what's different as what's the same.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I respect Dominos for changing with the times and acknowledging their shortcomings instead of just blaming customers (and millennials/snake people) for not dancing to their music.

Panfilo posted:

Eating takeout in other countries is most definitely my poo poo. I ate more kebabs than anything else in the UK. I also tried Mcdonald's in France, but the stuff there was so different it might as well have been a different chain entirely. Like gruyere in fast food, what the hell? The French do not gently caress around.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

skooma512 posted:

I also tried Mcdonald's in France, but the stuff there was so different it might as well have been a different chain entirely. Like gruyere in fast food, what the hell? The French do not gently caress around.

Good call! Do you know the story with that? The first mcdonalds in france opened in a time that was really hostile to international business and mcdonalds became the figurehead of a really big protest movement to the point people burned down mcdonalds. The solution was for the mcdonald's central office to go totally hands off and let the local franchise owner totally control everything, So mcdonald's france really is a totally separate chain that kinda just licences the name and a few menu items. It's almost entirely one of a kind sold no where else stuff. You can go to mcdonalds a lot of places and find a pretty different menu but it always feels like mcdonalds, its different ingredients served in a mcdonalds like fashion, the french one is just something totally else, it's still fast food, but it kinda tastes like wendy's or something and has a bunch of actually fancy toppings.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
ps. I know a nearly sickening amount about regional junk food variation. Did you know that the coke bottling plant in west texas (the town, not the western part of texas) used to make doctor pepper wrong and everyone loved it But eventually coke cracked down and said "you have to actually make the soda correctly" and fixed it. This is why nearly every restaurant in austin texas sells maine root soda. Maine Root "Doppelganger" soda is the copy of the incorrectly made doctor pepper.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I just don’t expect an Italian restaurant to have them in stock.

pretty much, we had the one box for months because the owner went out to buy some at the grocery store when someone kept insisting they wanted gluten free pasta. this was before sysco and others started selling it and it was still a 'health food'

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Dameius posted:

Pizza is a lot like Chinese food in the sense that America doesnt really include it as a concept when it comes to anything other than cheap and quick. So, generally, the market for high end or more upscale or even just more robust options never pans out.

Someone's never been to PF Chang's

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Good call! Do you know the story with that? The first mcdonalds in france opened in a time that was really hostile to international business and mcdonalds became the figurehead of a really big protest movement to the point people burned down mcdonalds. The solution was for the mcdonald's central office to go totally hands off and let the local franchise owner totally control everything, So mcdonald's france really is a totally separate chain that kinda just licences the name and a few menu items. It's almost entirely one of a kind sold no where else stuff. You can go to mcdonalds a lot of places and find a pretty different menu but it always feels like mcdonalds, its different ingredients served in a mcdonalds like fashion, the french one is just something totally else, it's still fast food, but it kinda tastes like wendy's or something and has a bunch of actually fancy toppings.

Cool! I didn't realize how autonomous it was. I know MCD will customize its menu regionally and I figured France was the same, but not that they're just totally off the leash.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've also heard that even the common condiments themselves can vary in taste depending on country, since they are tweaked to local tastes.

That's interesting about the McDonald's in France. While were they so hostile to foreign businesses?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

skooma512 posted:

Cool! I didn't realize how autonomous it was. I know MCD will customize its menu regionally and I figured France was the same, but not that they're just totally off the leash.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-mcdonalds-conquered-france-2014-8

Things culminated in 1999, when José Bové, a sheep farmer and activist, lead a group of fellow growers in dismantling a location under construction in the south of France.

Bové was protesting retaliatory sanctions the Clinton administration had imposed on imported Roquefort cheese and foie gras after the EU banned American beef treated with hormones (the mutual good feeling of the Blair House Accord had not lasted). He was sentenced to three months is prison.

The stunt made Bové a star of the anti-globalization movement and cemented for some the idea that McDonald's remained intolerable to France. Even Prime Minister Lionel Jospin called the demonstration "just."

The Bové incident may have actually proved the key to unlocking McDonald's France's stunning decade-long takeoff, as it was now under more pressure than ever to correct national misperceptions as well as address valid criticisms.

So, Hennequin said, the company started explaining why it belonged in French society. It heralded items with ingredients that were locally grown, and explained its importance for young job-seekers.

"I adapted McDonald’s system to our own society, while saying 'No' to received ideas and leading the change," he writes. "I couldn’t have done it without McDonald's own guidance and without the confidence always accorded to me by American and French shareholders, as well as franchise owners spread out over 958 French communities."

Marketing has played a key role in earning back the French psyche. Petit was able to persuade the home office to change the country's logo to green ...

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I developed a basil allergy in my 20s and it's hell because pizza was my staple food basically and every pizza joint has pre-made sauce containing basil. It's hard to find no basil sauce in a store even. Consequently I now make my own sauce in bulk and keep it in the freezer for recipes that need tomato sauce.

Lots of places also use whole basil leaves as a garnish and I always order no basil and then they treat me like in a bitch when I send it back after they bring it with basil.

Fake celiac dipshits have ruined things for people with real allergies

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

cis autodrag posted:

I developed a basil allergy in my 20s and it's hell because pizza was my staple food basically and every pizza joint has pre-made sauce containing basil. It's hard to find no basil sauce in a store even. Consequently I now make my own sauce in bulk and keep it in the freezer for recipes that need tomato sauce.

Lots of places also use whole basil leaves as a garnish and I always order no basil and then they treat me like in a bitch when I send it back after they bring it with basil.

I had thought that the gluten free trendiness actually helped spur a lot of gluten free options that indirectly helped people with celiac disease in terms of having more choices?

Though don't get me started on the 'organic' craze. I love Costco, but I bet their offerings would be even more affordable if they didn't have these turbo organic versions of stuff. I'd much rather pay a premium on stuff that was locally grown than 'organic' personally.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The only true allergy is my allergy

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Boner Confessor, even you should know ketchup is like 90% corn syrup, salt, and carcinogens. Of course someone allergic to tomatoes is going to be more sensitive to fresh tomatoes than tomatoes that have been processed to hell and back.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

cis autodrag posted:

But like, if fake basil allergies became popular and every restaurant suddenly had a basil free menu wouldn't that be like the exact best thing for you?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah I can't have fresh apples or peaches but pies with those fruits are no problem.

Talking about your weird food allergies in public is the probably the worst part about having the allergy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Panfilo posted:

I had thought that the gluten free trendiness actually helped spur a lot of gluten free options that indirectly helped people with celiac disease in terms of having more choices?

this is true. there are now plenty of gluten-free substitutes for gluten heavy foods - as well as everything which never had gluten in it in the first place tells you there's no gluten in it

my gripe was rooted in people who lie about food allergies because they think that restaurants don't care about substitutions, and when they mean to say "i dont like X" what they actually say is "i will die if you give me X", which gets confusing and annoying when someone is like "i can't have egg or i will die, also please extra mayo"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

But like, if fake basil allergies became popular and every restaurant suddenly had a basil free menu wouldn't that be like the exact best thing for you?

Every restaurant has a "gluten free" menu where they don't actually take keeping all gluten stuff away from the prep at all so restaurants are now actually more dangerous for celiacs.

The predominance of fake woo allergies has caused restaurants to stop taking it seriously.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was at one restaurant where they differentiated between "dietary" gluten free items and actual gluten free items.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's not that everyone has fake Celiac's, it's that Americans have figured out that they're eating too much wheat--often real lovely wheat--and it makes them feel like poo poo.

The gluten problem is probably worse than we even think it is. Plenty of people just suffer through the bloating, diarrhea, cold symptoms, and various other stuff because for whatever reason they won't change their lifestyle. The American diet is all wheat and red meat. Last I heard the normal human should get like 3 oz. a week of red meat; most are getting 5-20 times that on the reg.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

A bunch of people with non Celiac's gluten intolerance had intestinal parasites in a recent study. (I know this because of a pre-press manuscript I'm not allowed to share, sorry.) Researchers conclude by advising people with non Celiac's gluten intolerance to see a doctor.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

boner confessor posted:

my gripe was rooted in people who lie about food allergies because they think that restaurants don't care about substitutions, and when they mean to say "i dont like X" what they actually say is "i will die if you give me X", which gets confusing and annoying when someone is like "i can't have egg or i will die, also please extra mayo"
I think the best way for restaurants to deal with this is to charge a fee for substitutions, some of which already do. Even $2 per substitution can dissuade the fakers since someone that would get genuinely sick is willing to eat the cost but a picky person will not.

cis autodrag posted:

Every restaurant has a "gluten free" menu where they don't actually take keeping all gluten stuff away from the prep at all so restaurants are now actually more dangerous for celiacs.

The predominance of fake woo allergies has caused restaurants to stop taking it seriously.

This opens them up to lawsuits, and given how hard it is to keep a well-run restaurant profitable means they really can't afford to screw around. Even just turning the court of public opinion "this restaurant will poison you out of spite!" can hurt their livelihood.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Panfilo posted:

I think the best way for restaurants to deal with this is to charge a fee for substitutions, some of which already do. Even $2 per substitution can dissuade the fakers since someone that would get genuinely sick is willing to eat the cost but a picky person will not.

yeah. there's a wide range between people who have a legit medical issue and are nice about it (we will bend over backwards to meet your request) and people who are running low level scams, are looking for reasons to dig for comps and refunds, and are generally impossible to satisfy (mcdonalds is down the street, buddy)

like people who come in on a busy saturday night, family of five, and say "we have movie tickets in a half hour, we need our food asap" no. your time management is not my problem. go to taco bell

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

boner confessor posted:

yeah. there's a wide range between people who have a legit medical issue and are nice about it (we will bend over backwards to meet your request) and people who are running low level scams, are looking for reasons to dig for comps and refunds, and are generally impossible to satisfy (mcdonalds is down the street, buddy)

like people who come in on a busy saturday night, family of five, and say "we have movie tickets in a half hour, we need our food asap" no. your time management is not my problem. go to taco bell

The trick is to be extra nice about telling them to get hosed in order for everybody to realize how unreasonable they are.

"I'm really sorry you aren't the center of the universe here. I'd love to help you but [sucks teeth] my hands are tied, you see..."
*throws puppy dog eyes*

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SpaceCadetBob posted:

As someone whose wife is actually celiac I can say we never go to restaurants that are cuisine specific like pizza or pasta shops even if they do have gluten free marked on like one or two items. We know that if prepping gluten free food isn’t an every day thing then its going to be a pita for the cooks and probably risky for my wife.

We have like 4 restaurants that we visit regularly. One is a Pho shop that is 100% GF. The next is a Brazilian cheese bread place which is also 100% GF. Then we have a nice sushi joint and an last an american bistro that has like half a menu full of GF stuff, along with dedicated cooking area and machines for it.

Food allergies in general just suck. Well I guess celiac isn't really an allergy but still...an old gaming buddy of mine had celiac and it's a horrible pain finding places he can eat. I have a severe shellfish allergy that can make me die and cross contamination is a thing. All seafood gives me issues.

But yeah...I know what my allergies are and avoid places that serve lots of the things I'm allergic to. It can be difficult to impossible for the kitchen to accommodate extreme food issues if they specialize in what the thing is so I just don't go to those places. I've never seen the inside of a Red Lobster and never will because hey it's right in the drat name. Places that specialize in seafood or serve lots of it I just avoid. One of the other snags is that the kitchen in a restaurant is pretty fast-paced and it's just plain difficult to handle too special of a set of instructions. Because food is constantly splashing around it's extremely difficult to promise a total lack of contamination and for those of us that small levels of contamination can harm it's best to just avoid it. Kind of like how a good way to avoid being mauled by a bear is never being close enough to a bear in the first place.

I worked in a restaurant for five years and it really is baffling how often people would claim fake food allergies. I saw at least a dozen times somebody come in and order spaghetti or chicken parm only to say they didn't want the garlic toast "because they were celiac" so could they substitute something else? People claiming fake allergies is terrible because it can really become a boy who cried wolf scenario. Eventually the kitchen starts saying "yeah whatever they're probably lying."

It's fine if people want to have gluten-free options if they have no real problem with gluten but could they at least be honest about it? It's perfectly fine to say "I don't have celiac but don't want gluten."

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor posted:

gluten free pasta isn't really a thing, i mean, there are nowadays substitutes due to high demand (mostly people faddishly claiming they have a gluten allergy because it's a way to cut carbs, which is disrespectful for folks with real allergies) but pasta dishes are traditionally one of the most gluten laden meals you can get so the simpler thing is, you know, order the fish, non-breaded, in a clean pan

This is just false. Gluten Free dishes have just as many carbs if not more carbs than non gluten free dishes.

What do people loving think Gluten is? It's a loving protein. Literally like one of the main sources of protein in wheat flour in fact.

skooma512 posted:

Because the French are ultra-nationalistic super special snowflakes that can't allow any references to any religion, other language, food culture, or nationality in their public spaces.

WrenP-Complete posted:

A bunch of people with non Celiac's gluten intolerance had intestinal parasites in a recent study. (I know this because of a pre-press manuscript I'm not allowed to share, sorry.) Researchers conclude by advising people with non Celiac's gluten intolerance to see a doctor.

Lol good luck getting a Doctor to discover that and treat it properly.

US Doctor's are utter poo poo and I have yet to meet one that actually knew anything. Despite the whole 12-16 years of schooling. I've told 3 seperate doctors that I piss a poo poo-ton (like 10 times a day) and not a single one has ever been able to help me in the least much less provide any kind of prognosis or reason why.

I'm just convinced after that long they seriously stop giving a gently caress. But then again all the Doctors I've ever had were older than 50 and I live in the South.

I mean it was totally cool from one of my friends who came back from South America sick and got mis-diagnosed for 3 weeks while having malaria the entire-time and nearly losing her kidney because of it.

Did I mention American Doctors are loving idiots?

TheNewt fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 1, 2018

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

dont even fink about it posted:

It's not that everyone has fake Celiac's, it's that Americans have figured out that they're eating too much wheat--often real lovely wheat--and it makes them feel like poo poo.
Nobody is "figuring out" anything unless they're hearing it from their doctor, the rest just keep hearing about this "gluten" thing being bad so they just think it's unhealthy and they don't even know why. "Gluten free" in effect just means the product either didn't use gluten in the first place, or it's using rice flour and xanthan gum, which isn't any more nutritious.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

cis autodrag posted:

I am sure there is fraud restaurants. But this gluten craze has been nothing but a godsend to my friends that have had lifelong celiacs. There was never even a concept of anyone even trying before now to cater to their medically required diet. The fact some places do a bad job is better than every single place in the US doing a bad job. There is a gluten free bakery in town now, one that is absolutely going to close the second the fad stops and it needs to run just off selling to the few actual celiacs suffers. This is going to be like the only ten years in history someone with celiacs is going to have any restaurant that serves them at all. Even if some are bad.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OneEightHundred posted:

Nobody is "figuring out" anything unless they're hearing it from their doctor, the rest just keep hearing about this "gluten" thing being bad so they just think it's unhealthy and they don't even know why. "Gluten free" in effect just means the product either didn't use gluten in the first place, or it's using rice flour and xanthan gum, which isn't any more nutritious.

Cassava flour might be more nutritious, but the amount of cassava we produce / eat in the US is basically negligible.

Which is a shame, the drat thing is probably more suited to eg Arizona than irrigation-intensive bullshit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

What fad diet book did you just read that makes you think this?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

fishmech posted:

What fad diet book did you just read that makes you think this?

My guess: Wheat Belly

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

TheNewt posted:

Did I mention American Doctors are loving idiots?

If one lives in a smaller city yes the doctors can blow. I had a similar problem living in Savannah. You have to drive to a big city, like Atlanta sized or a good university hospital. Where competent specialists are absent in the smaller cities you'll find whole practices of them in the big cities.

Also get out of the south and it gets much better.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm not saying you can't eat bread at all, I'm saying you should eat good bread, instead of glorified cake, and not that much of it. That's simple dietary stuff that every doctor in the country will tell you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I'm not saying you can't eat bread at all, I'm saying you should eat good bread, instead of glorified cake, and not that much of it. That's simple dietary stuff that every doctor in the country will tell you.

Oh cool it's the "only the bread my grandma makes is real bread" argument. No, most doctors in the country won't tell you that, because it's insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Cassava flour might be more nutritious, but the amount of cassava we produce / eat in the US is basically negligible.
Flour type just barely matters most of the time. If people want to eat healthier, then they can start by ordering more vegetables and ordering fewer sugary drinks and less stuff drenched in salt, oil, and cheese.

The whole "gluten free" thing is just the low-carb craze with all of the substance sucked out of it.