Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's quite a surprise that the franchise managed to sink lower than The Tom And Jerry Movie.

It's like executives over at WB went "Disney is raking in a fortune by remaking their classic animated features as live action movies, what do we have that can cash in on this craze?" and someone went "Wait a minute, how about we just do a shot-for-shot animated remake of one of our live action classics?" and someone else went "The audience will never buy it .... just add in some extra scenes of Tom and Jerry dancing around and we'll call it 'all new'!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs-tu4fj4zA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Young Freud posted:

The gently caress? Is this from the same movie? It looks like a different animation team worked on each still shot. Everything so off-model.

I'm pretty sure they projected and traced over the original film's frames for most of the adapted scenes instead of drawing them from scratch using animation models

https://i.imgur.com/hzucWc8.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/bZSZio9.gifv
Edit: Oh man, they couldn't be bothered animating new dance moves for them but they also couldn't be bothered animating every frame of the original sequence so they just traced every other frame and called it done so the end result is that their feet just wobble about the place randomly

https://i.imgur.com/XWIeXqP.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/2Vt5kwx.gifv

Edit: ha ha ha, the background artists were obviously supposed to hide the yellow mushroom behind a vine or something but they forgot so it looks like it just leaps onto Wonka's cane from somewhere below frame :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 31, 2017

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Will the soul who creates the 2017 thread be brave enough to buck the trend with "greenlit" instead of "greenlighted" again?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rough Lobster posted:

Will the soul who creates the 2017 thread be brave enough to buck the trend with "greenlit" instead of "greenlighted" again?

I'm more interested in the decision of the soul who creates the 2018 thread personally.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm Chaotic Good and Neutral Evil, respectively.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tom and Jerry cartoons are loving bizarre. I left their adaptation of The Nutcracker on in the background one time. It was largely devoid of any violence until the end when a rocking horse with self esteem issues got her confidence back and smashed Tom's teeth out with a hammer.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Tom and Jerry movie was bad but not as bad as it seems, it is the future of cinema, brand and fanfic convergence that devours the souls of the original media and produces a shambling husk that wanders the Earth for all eternity until it is devoured for an even more shambling husk. It wasn't even the first movie they've don in that fashion, the Wizard of Oz toon where they wander around the 1939 movie was popular enough they made a direct sequel to it. That's what that franchise does now. Another example of this was the live-action A Christmas Story that combined nostalgia with network tv's perchance for gimmick events attempts at ratings relevance.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Also I watched this in theaters last night for what was probably my last theater experience of 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPZ_4522XU8

As far as Filipino super hero comedies go, it was upper 2/3rds!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Casimir Radon posted:

Tom and Jerry cartoons are loving bizarre. I left their adaptation of The Nutcracker on in the background one time. It was largely devoid of any violence until the end when a rocking horse with self esteem issues got her confidence back and smashed Tom's teeth out with a hammer.

41:30 here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vl3kh

Sidenote: this was apparently Joseph Barbera's final production before his death in 2006.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 31, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I remember Siskel & Ebert bitching that the Tom & Jerry movie wasn't 90 minutes of the two trying to kill each other.

A) Those guys get it
B) Gotta wonder if both of them saw a little of themselves in T & J

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I wonder what the most tonedeaf movie of 2018 will be

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

got any sevens posted:

What’s the winner for 2017? Has to be I love you daddy, right? Because wowee that timing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

got any sevens posted:

The Death Wish remake that didn't come out in 2017. Not sure why they thought just floating it down the river a bit would make anything that happens in it more palatable to modern audiences.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rough Lobster posted:

It's the only thing I'm hoping for in the new year. Just a simple "who greenlit... this poo poo"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay we need to nominate 2017 films for these Hall Of Shame categories:

Tars Tarkas posted:

Unnecessary Sequels -

Boring junk that deserved better -

Insane failures -

.... and make up a list of which upcoming 2018 films are guaranteed to be awful

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Sorry, been doing my annual tradition of being sick over break because an idiot coworker shows up to work while sick, otherwise I'd be more active

Notable failures includes

Inhumans - the first two episodes of the Marvel series no one talks about because it's just that bad were released in theaters so they technically count. I also enjoy having them count to annoy the film critic snobs who are upset about Twin Peaks showing up on top movie lists.

An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power - I guess this is a failure in that I forgot all about it and it did terrible considering what it was a sequel to.

The Snowman - They didn't even film the end of the movie!

Monster Trucks - Holy crap, was that this year? time really flew.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - this seemed abstract enough a few people really dug it but everyone else wanted to bury it.

Ghost in the Shell - Whitewashing YouTube Video Essay: The Movie

The Emoji Movie - at least they got it out before the star became the focus of multiple rape accusations

The Mummy - A movie so bad it killed an entire universe

Random stuff
Amityville: The Awakening - delayed forever but I didn't see it so dunno how bad it is, pretty bad iirc from twitter

CHiPs - I don't remember this either except for the trailer having a bunch of jokes about people in their underwear bumping their junk onto faces

Power Rangers - not that terrible but not that good, also got undeserved LGBT praise for a throwaway line

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - looked great, felt bland

Justice League - this might be the most controversial pick as it is a crazy mess that has bits that are really good but is literally a different movie every cut, has a bad guy so generic he makes even Marvel's Dark Elves villains look interesting and nuanced, and one of the leads is from planet Uncanny Valley

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Let's not forget The Book of Henry, perhaps the most baffling movie of 2017 which also torpedoed Colin Trevorrow's career!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everyone except for him and the writer will continue to have great careers despite the film.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Let's not forget The Book of Henry, perhaps the most baffling movie of 2017 which also torpedoed Colin Trevorrow's career!

I liked it :colbert:

That guy Dean Norris who always plays a cop being a chomo and getting played by a dead kid like fine violin until he took his final salute

*MWAH*

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Were does Daren Aronofsky's Mother! fit? Most :psyduck: ?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nah, it’s fairly straight forward.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CelticPredator posted:

Everyone except for him and the writer will continue to have great careers despite the film.

I mean, let's hope. I don't need Naomi Watts or that kid I guess to suffer just because they took a lame job.

Trevorrow is apparently also really really difficult to work with, so having one huge bomb under his belt could very easily give people an excuse to toss him aside.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watts will always get good work, Jacob Trembly is the wonder boy right now, Henry was in It, Silverman has stuff, Moynihan has SNL.

Trevorrow has nothing. NOTHING. Not even Jurassic World, who he passed for Star Wars lol.

(I guess he wrote it, but still.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The next Jurassic World doesn't look too promising.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MH Knights posted:

Were does Daren Aronofsky's Mother! fit? Most :psyduck: ?
Dunno why that'd be here, it's a good and fairly comprehensible film. A frustrating and tormenting experience to be sure but that's by design.
Like I know there were MAGA chuds crowing about how it didn't make a lot of money to hate on j law but it's an art house flick not Hunger Games

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The movie so bad it got him fired from Star Wars.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Suggesting the new thread have something about Disney probably owning all the companies next year.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rirse posted:

Suggesting the new thread have something about Disney probably owning all the companies next year.

Who Greenlighted 2018 - Now A Subsidiary of Disney

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

I have not seen it - is it worse than Fant4stic, the last movie that got a director fired from Star Wars?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Star Wars such trash a competent director was removed from the projects

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The next Jurassic World doesn't look too promising.

Yeah, that trailer was balls, and it's hilarious that the reaction was so tepid that Trevorrow is out doing damage control and saying that it literally doesn't have any footage from the last hour of the movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

syscall girl posted:

Star Wars such trash a competent director was removed from the projects

Yeah, I lost a lot of interest in the Han Solo flick after they fired Lord and Miller too, but we were talking about Colin Trevorrow.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Who Greenlit 2018 - Now A Subsidiary of Disney

FTFY

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I will scream bloody murder if it's not "Who Greenlighted"

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Dark Tower movie is pretty much the definition of "Boring junk that deserved better."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The Dark Tower movie is pretty much the definition of "Boring junk that deserved better."

It could have launched a franchise with more movies than there were dumb books with Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey

Instead we got something so dull no one can remember quite why they hated it and feel owed money for the 2 hour poo poo-fest

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Between stuff like Dark Tower, Justice League, Tom Cruise Mummy, that King Arthur movie and that King Arthur movie with Transformers, is 2017 the year Hollywood got over the cinematic universes fad?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Who Greenli(gh)t(ed) 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Between stuff like Dark Tower, Justice League, Tom Cruise Mummy, that King Arthur movie and that King Arthur movie with Transformers, is 2017 the year Hollywood got over the cinematic universes fad?

Doubtful, considering Paramount has like three other Transformers movies beyond Bumblebee in various stages of development and there will always be some executive somewhere thinking they've got the secret to the Marvel machine formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Who Greenli(gh)t(ed) 2018

WHO RUNS TINSELTOWN!!!

• Locked thread