Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
I mean I feel like there's a whole lot of daylight between "you shouldn't jam nothing but an assload of carbs in your face on the daily" and the below:

dont even fink about it posted:

The gluten problem is probably worse than we even think it is. Plenty of people just suffer through the bloating, diarrhea, cold symptoms, and various other stuff because for whatever reason they won't change their lifestyle. The American diet is all wheat and red meat. Last I heard the normal human should get like 3 oz. a week of red meat; most are getting 5-20 times that on the reg.

The former seems reasonable purely from a calorie intake point of view but the later (particularly the bolded part) I don't think I've ever heard before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Great Metal Jesus posted:

I mean I feel like there's a whole lot of daylight between "you shouldn't jam nothing but an assload of carbs in your face on the daily" and the below:

The former seems reasonable purely from a calorie intake point of view but the later (particularly the bolded part) I don't think I've ever heard before.

You clearly don't talk to many middle class white women in their 30's.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OneEightHundred posted:

Flour type just barely matters most of the time. If people want to eat healthier, then they can start by ordering more vegetables and ordering fewer sugary drinks and less stuff drenched in salt, oil, and cheese.

The whole "gluten free" thing is just the low-carb craze with all of the substance sucked out of it.

I've seen people ask for "non gluten" bread, receive rye or oat based bread, and go on their way like they were really not getting gluten anymore. It's crazy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

PT6A posted:

Here's a question: why does it loving matter if someone lies about an allergy or not? So they want their meal a certain way, and they want the restaurant to be really careful about it so it doesn't get hosed up. It's not something I would do personally, but it's not worth getting pissed off about it either.

It matters because if enough people lie about it, precautions get sloppy, and some poor rear end in a top hat who's actually deathly allergic gets an ER run from cross contamination.

Back when I was baking full time we had to have a sign on the door to keep reminding people that yes, a production bakery does not contain a single flour free surface to include the air ducts, and they should not come in if they are sensitive to gluten or tree nuts on that level.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Liquid Communism posted:

It matters because if enough people lie about it, precautions get sloppy
This may be practically true, but it doesn't seem like a given, and if we have to choose between "stop customers from lying about why they're ordering something" and "stop businesses from lying about what they're serving" it seems clearly better for everyone if we make the business stop lying about what they're serving, and we have much better tools to make businesses truthful.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

fishmech posted:

I've seen people ask for "non gluten" bread, receive rye or oat based bread, and go on their way like they were really not getting gluten anymore. It's crazy.

Yeah I had to tell a friend that rye was like the worst loving bread to eat if they think they have "gluten sensitivity". They think because it tastes the least like fluffy american sugar-bread it's obviously the most healthy because gluten is bad. Get a nice sour dough instead.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twodot posted:

This may be practically true, but it doesn't seem like a given, and if we have to choose between "stop customers from lying about why they're ordering something" and "stop businesses from lying about what they're serving" it seems clearly better for everyone if we make the business stop lying about what they're serving, and we have much better tools to make businesses truthful.

businesses pretty much never lie about what they're serving, the question is if the restaurant's policy and procedures are being followed by exasperated waitstaff. i've never seen it happen in my experience but i could see where it could happen

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I think a good way to sum up the problem is that pushing for "Celiac-safe" rather than "gluten-free" would be more useful and more responsible at the expense of exploiting food fad idiocy, which is of course why hardly anyone does it.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

boner confessor posted:

businesses pretty much never lie about what they're serving, the question is if the restaurant's policy and procedures are being followed by exasperated waitstaff. i've never seen it happen in my experience but i could see where it could happen
This doesn't make any sense. The only time I care about policy and procedures is when it impacts the thing I'm being given. If I order a gluten free thing and I get a gluten thing, I'm being lied to. If I order a gluten free thing, and I get a gluten free thing, but the cook didn't log the proper TPS sheet while doing it, I don't care. If the product was specifically best-effort gluten free, then I would prefer policy and procedures were followed, but there was never a medical concern.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
This is truly cutting to the quick of the retail collapse of 2017.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Liquid Communism posted:

It matters because if enough people lie about it, precautions get sloppy, and some poor rear end in a top hat who's actually deathly allergic gets an ER run from cross contamination.

do you think there was a golden age before this fad when celiacs could walk into places and everyone totally did it right? No one in the kitchen had ever cared about you ever, being common is the only thing that would ever make anyone bother to think up a procedure

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twodot posted:

This doesn't make any sense. The only time I care about policy and procedures is when it impacts the thing I'm being given. If I order a gluten free thing and I get a gluten thing, I'm being lied to. If I order a gluten free thing, and I get a gluten free thing, but the cook didn't log the proper TPS sheet while doing it, I don't care. If the product was specifically best-effort gluten free, then I would prefer policy and procedures were followed, but there was never a medical concern.

i dont know how else to explain to you the concept that employees do not always follow policy to the letter, except that this is a thing that happens sometimes. sorry if people not following the rules doesn't make sense to you

e: unless you are taking the alternate reading that there are restaurants out there engaging in outright fraud, in which case, lol

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 1, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

The trick is to be extra nice about telling them to get hosed in order for everybody to realize how unreasonable they are.

"I'm really sorry you aren't the center of the universe here. I'd love to help you but [sucks teeth] my hands are tied, you see..."
*throws puppy dog eyes*

When I went to state university, one of the stipulations of living on campus was that you had to buy a meal plan.

Some Jewish white guy decided one summer that he would fight this by converting to Rastafari.

He figured that the university wouldn't be able to meet the dietary restrictions of the religion and he's get out from the meal plan by claiming 1st amendment religious discrimination.

The university cafeteria went and bought a special set of non metal cookware and got a cook familiar with Ital and basically put him on call for this guy and refused to exempt him.

The guy then went on a hunger strike and everyone started laughing at him for so transparently dickish.

It eventually ended after of all things The Daily Show sent someone to mock cover the entire situation.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Mozi posted:

This is truly cutting to the quick of the retail collapse of 2017.
It's holiday season, the black ink will stop flowing soon and then we'll be back to the bloodbath.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

OneEightHundred posted:

It's holiday season, the black ink will stop flowing soon and then we'll be back to the bloodbath.

I actually expected Sears to announce they were folding the day after Xmas.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Presto posted:

I actually expected Sears to announce they were folding the day after Xmas.

A bunch of stories came out today mentioning that sears hasn't run any ads since november.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A bunch of stories came out today mentioning that sears hasn't run any ads since november.

Funnily enough I went to a Sears just a few years back and it was actually far better stocked and maintained then I've seen a Sears be in like, maybe a decade. Maybe they were setting that particular store up to get held by a rump company or something?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm definitely stopping by Sears and JC Penney right after the new year. One last time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

exploded mummy posted:

When I went to state university, one of the stipulations of living on campus was that you had to buy a meal plan.

Some Jewish white guy decided one summer that he would fight this by converting to Rastafari.

He figured that the university wouldn't be able to meet the dietary restrictions of the religion and he's get out from the meal plan by claiming 1st amendment religious discrimination.

The university cafeteria went and bought a special set of non metal cookware and got a cook familiar with Ital and basically put him on call for this guy and refused to exempt him.

The guy then went on a hunger strike and everyone started laughing at him for so transparently dickish.

It eventually ended after of all things The Daily Show sent someone to mock cover the entire situation.
Good move by the university since it means they can head off any other smart aleck that pulls the same stunt.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

twodot posted:

It's less businesses are lying and more that the cook line isn't going to take the extra 10 mins or so to go through the proper allergy procedure because they're already overworked and gently caress if it's going to effect them. You can tell the staff all day long what the proper procedures are for an allergy order or gluten free order, but when you're 20 orders deep, have the wait staff screaming at you, and it's 120* on the line, what happens in actuality is a different story.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ExplodingSims posted:

It's less businesses are lying and more that the cook line isn't going to take the extra 10 mins or so to go

it doesn't take that long but if the line is busy it definitely fucks up the rhythm because you've got to find (or god help you, wash) new pans and pay attention to avoid cross contamination. like the allergen sensitive dish might be cooking right next to three other pans, etc.

and the bigger problem imo is servers not properly communicating the allergy, the line cooks have no idea how honest or needy the customer seems, they just read the ticket and execute it. and if it's busy, just sort of hope that no cross contamination happened without anyone noticing

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

boner confessor posted:

it doesn't take that long but if the line is busy it definitely fucks up the rhythm because you've got to find (or god help you, wash) new pans

and the bigger problem imo is servers not properly communicating the allergy, the line cooks have no idea how honest or needy the customer seems, they just read the ticket and execute it

I was exaggerating a bit, but I'm aware of how it fucks up everybody timing. I spent 5 years as a line cook, and no amount of money could ever make me go back to that.

I dunno, how they did it where you worked, but at the place I was at, all tickets were on the computer. If an allergy ticket came in it would be highlighted in red, so it at least made it stand out quite a bit. But yeah, the servers never tended to indicate the severity of the need, so that occasionally led to the procedure not being followed to the letter. Trying to hunt down fresh pans/tongs/whatever when you have 20+ orders to handle on top of everything is a bit of a pipe dream in the best of circumstances.

Also, the gluten free pasta we served was terrible and about much effort as you'd expect went into making it. Toss in plastic pan, add water, microwave for 5 mins.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ExplodingSims posted:

I dunno, how they did it where you worked, but at the place I was at, all tickets were on the computer. If an allergy ticket came in it would be highlighted in red, so it at least made it stand out quite a bit.

we used some ancient version of Presto! so basically you'd just add

ALLERGY
ALLERGY
ALLERGY
ALLERGY
PINCHE ALLERGY

10x in the comments

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

It's less businesses are lying and more that the cook line isn't going to take the extra 10 mins or so to go through the proper allergy procedure because they're already overworked and gently caress if it's going to effect them. You can tell the staff all day long what the proper procedures are for an allergy order or gluten free order, but when you're 20 orders deep, have the wait staff screaming at you, and it's 120* on the line, what happens in actuality is a different story.
If a business is advertising that they can sell allergen free products, but their staff isn't going to go through the proper allergy procedure, they are lying about the fact they can sell allergen free products.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twodot posted:

If a business is advertising that they can sell allergen free products, but their staff isn't going to go through the proper allergy procedure, they are lying about the fact they can sell allergen free products.

i too am confused that people sometimes deviate from procedure in times of stress

if a place of business cannot ensure total compliance, then they are fraudulent

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

twodot posted:

Except that it's not a binary thing here? Like yeah, when it's slow and there not much going on, then they knock out stuff like that all day. Even when it's busy the attempt to follow procedure can be made, but there's pretty no way to guarantee that procedure will be followed 100% when they're in the thick of it. Especially if it's something that involves multiple parts of the line to be involved.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lol

Procedures even get buggered up when businesses get into things that are hundreds of millions of dollars or single digits of billions.

Edit: and even for super duper regulated poo poo.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 1, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

twodot posted:

For what it's worth, I know someone with some gluten allergy thing. I've seen the results of what happens when she gets gluten, and I know it is 100% real for her. She has a hard time sorting through "gluten free" pre-packaged products because the term has become marketable, and people just use it to move product.

I'm willing to bet this happens in kitchens, too.

That aside, kitchen workers are paid very little to bust rear end all day long. The line cook making eight bucks an hour on a twelve hour shift probably doesn't really care. They barely care enough not to kill you with cross-contamination. I'm amazed more people don't get violently ill and die every year.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

That aside, kitchen workers are paid very little to bust rear end all day long. The line cook making eight bucks an hour on a twelve hour shift probably doesn't really care. They barely care enough not to kill you with cross-contamination. I'm amazed more people don't get violently ill and die every year.

again, it's insulting to say that someone is not paid enough to care about another human being's health

you can definitely be paid too much to not care, but, pay has nothing to do with it on the low end of the scale, vs. being burnt out, or the demand being ill timed and difficult to correctly execute while juggling multiple other tasks

if you want to talk about low pay and people getting sick, the discussion should be about how foodservice workers are incentivized to come to work even when they're sick. catch a contagious disease around the holidays when business volume is high and schedules are so tight nobody is available to cover your shift? you then get to choose between spreading your illness to your customers, or losing your job

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 1, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

boner confessor posted:

again, it's insulting to say that someone is not paid enough to care about another human being's health

you can definitely be paid too much to not care, but, pay has nothing to do with it on the low end of the scale, vs. being burnt out, or the demand being ill timed and difficult to correctly execute while juggling multiple other tasks

if you want to talk about low pay and people getting sick, the discussion should be about how foodservice workers are incentivized to come to work even when they're sick. catch a contagious disease around the holidays when business volume is high and schedules are so tight nobody is available to cover your shift? you then get to choose between spreading your illness to your customers, or losing your job

I'm not passing judgment on the worker here. Low pay for a demanding job is indicative of a lovely job with poor management and high stress. Sure, you can be paid a great deal of money and still not give a gently caress- I won't argue with you on that one. But the place that can afford to pay their staff a quality wage can afford more boots on the ground, and likely ( but not always ) has better management and policies.

Maybe the eight dollar line cook cares a great deal, but the kitchen is short-staffed ( again ), the front end is screaming at him, and he's in the weeds. :shrug:

I work with food every day, and you'd be surprised at the amount of garbage I pull off the shelves. Last night I was pulling yogurt that expired in November out of our dairy case. This isn't uncommon. Nobody has the time to do the job the way it should be done, and they're yelled at for doing it.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Nobody has the time to do the job the way it should be done, and they're yelled at for doing it.
Remember, your staff is only here because they cannot costlessly reallocate to a better opportunity, they have no loyalty and you should offer them none in return.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I work with food every day, and you'd be surprised at the amount of garbage I pull off the shelves. Last night I was pulling yogurt that expired in November out of our dairy case. This isn't uncommon. Nobody has the time to do the job the way it should be done, and they're yelled at for doing it.

yeah, but it's not that nobody cares necessarily, it's just "jesus god why wasn't this thrown away months ago"

plus also foodservice is just a job which periodically experiences high stress and you can't adequately prepare for that even with all hands on deck. i mean, mother's day is always a cluster

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Great Metal Jesus posted:

If Red Meat is that bad for you then the Argentines and Brazilians are hosed. They eat fucktons more of red meat than americans.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

TheNewt posted:

If Red Meat is that bad for you then the Argentines and Brazilians are hosed. They eat fucktons more of red meat than americans.

Less than 3oz (=100g = one serving) of meat weekly just seems off to me. My doctor's told me to eat more than that and I'm not even American.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

The Oxnard store is the only Fry’s built in a strip mall. All other stores are stand alone.

It’s also the worst performing store in the company lol

A few days old, but what southern Californian wouldn't like a one-stop shop for a fresh-from-frozen sandwhich, porn dvds, a cellphone case, cash register paper, an as-seen-on-tv ramen cooker, and a pci-e audio card?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That 3oz of red meat thing sound exactly like something someone pushing vegetarianism would say.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Actually I hosed that figure up, it's per day.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Honestly, a lot of restaurants would be better off financially just putting up a sign on the door that says they cannot accommodate gluten-free customers. The loss of business from the few people legitimately effected is likely less than the cost of a single lawsuit.

Nobody likes to turn away business though.

To safely make gluten free anything required actually shutting down the bakery for three days for a top to bottom clean, a full cleaning of the duct system, then a second top to bottom clean.

That was never going to happen.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

A few days old, but what southern Californian wouldn't like a one-stop shop for a fresh-from-frozen sandwhich, porn dvds, a cellphone case, cash register paper, an as-seen-on-tv ramen cooker, and a pci-e audio card?

I think Frys finally removed their porn DVDs from the stores. My local one doesn’t have them anymore last time I went.

I’d say a good 10-15% of lost prevention arrests were old grandpas trying to steal porn DVDs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I was in the Manhattan Beach Frys like two months ago and they still had floppy drives on the shelf. 3.5" and 5.25"!