Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He should’ve thrown it at her face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yaws posted:

Try to follow along with me here CelticPredator

What followed should have been a dramatic emotional moment for Luke Skywalker Instead we get a cheap gag

It was a clear statement about Luke's beliefs, and was dramatic because Rey had someone she looked up to completely dismiss her hopes and dreams. There was plenty of genuine emotion in that scene.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yaws posted:

What followed should have been a dramatic emotional moment for Luke Skywalker Instead we get a cheap gag

It's a reminder of a life he wants nothing to do with anymore and he discards it scornfully. It's humorous, yeah, but it's not cheap.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only other way would be to do the same scene except full of close ups of the thing, and super dramatic music.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The action in question was not actually a gag.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

The only other way would be to do the same scene except full of close ups of the thing, and super dramatic music.

:whitewater:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/947530863847206912

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Yaws posted:

I don't even read that as a gag. It's Luke's sincere expression of what he feels about her gesture.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Then he should have chucked it into the ocean.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

CelticPredator posted:

What dramatic moment did it under cut? Don’t say the Hux scene. It wasn’t that dramatic of a scene.
When Kylo Ren hesitates in killing his mom and unexpectedly Leia survives despite basically everyone's expectation that she would die because her actor is dead. This was one of the most emotionally intense parts of the movie. Ren is visibly angry and this contributes to his decision to kill Snoke. It is then immediately followed by Chewbacca eating the bird ewoks.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ruddiger posted:

He's expressing disdain more than he is anger, though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

I think that would require a more dramatic throw. His approach is more "Eh, this thing's useless." He tosses it aside not caring where it goes.

Or maybe he leaves it for her to retrieve since of course she's gonna keep trying.

Luke's behavior is really very classic "Kung Fu Master" stuff, similar to Yoda but not quite the same. Whereas Yoda disarmed Luke with humor, Luke's approach is a kind of disdain.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

When Kylo Ren hesitates in killing his mom and unexpectedly Leia survives despite basically everyone's expectation that she would die because her actor is dead. This was one of the most emotionally intense parts of the movie. Ren is visibly angry and this contributes to his decision to kill Snoke. It is then immediately followed by Chewbacca eating the bird ewoks.

That's after a change of scene and a natural pause, though.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Death Star 2 actually is a poo poo concept, though.

I like the visual symbolism of it being undead though, this skeletal reminder of something horrible from the past they thought they escaped

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I like the visual symbolism of it being undead though, this skeletal reminder of something horrible from the past they thought they escaped

It's a cool design, but its existence doesn't affect the major characters in any real way. Even in the space battle its treated like a pestering ship that lands a few good shots. Its presence isn't affecting anything immediate grander than that so it ultimately is just some window dressing.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Powered Descent posted:

Bear in mind that almost no time has passed in or between these movies. The beginning of TFA is maybe four days before the end of TLJ, and the Resistance was running for its life for most of that time. They didn't have time to peruse the used spaceship lots and contemplate an upgrade. Besides, the Resistance doesn't own the Falcon. Han did, and I guess now Chewie does.

The entire 2 movies have taken place over a week. Message board fights over TLJ have now lasted multiple times as long as it took the Empire to take over the galaxy or Rey to progress from not knowing what the force was to being a super powerful Jedi Knight

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mulva posted:

His movie just made a billion dollars, he's officially a good writer.

Ah good, this means Age of Ultron is also a well written movie.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Even as someone that loves TLJ that your mom joke at the beginning is just so off-putting

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

What, they don't have mothers in space?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

I Before E posted:

What, they don't have mothers in space?

Mars Needs Moms

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

leave the porgs alone

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why didn’t Rian Johnson forsee Carrie Fisher dying?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

echronorian posted:

Even as someone that loves TLJ that your mom joke at the beginning is just so off-putting

Poe just bears the brunt of market-tested cost balancing. My impression from the thread is that he was supposed to die early in TFA and got brought back through Disney-meddling? Yeah if so, he's going to be meddled with forever, the designated meddlee for anything that concerns the bottom line. There's just less esoteric scipting that hinges on Resistance wonks like Poe, they just don't need to delve into anything relating to the force, the central power the unifies the universe. Nope, they can just be audience mirrors, oddly unrelatable ones like that. Are there a lot of men in 2017 that think "hot-shot pilot" is the guy to be? Or Women that think "conceited detachment and class divide are admirable elements of feminity"?

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 1, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Poe just bears the brunt of market-tested cost balancing. My impression from the thread is that he was supposed to die early in TFA and got brought back through Disney-meddling?
He was meant to die but the change was made very early on (before they'd even started filming I think).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Why do people act like the mom joke was this huge deal? The film didn't grind to a halt for a laugh track and for Oscar Isaac to wink at the camera...

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I dunno if it's the fault of the joke, the beginning just feels clunky and the joke stands out when the audience is trying to find the tone of the film. I've seen it 3 times and haven't heard anyone laugh at it :shrug:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

echronorian posted:

I dunno if it's the fault of the joke, the beginning just feels clunky and the joke stands out when the audience is trying to find the tone of the film. I've seen it 3 times and haven't heard anyone laugh at it :shrug:

Conversely, that whole scene has gotten chuckles at all three of the screenings I've been to. Not sure if it's about the end "about his mother" line specifically, but the audiences I've been in have reacted positively to the humor there.

Serf
May 5, 2011

while this sounds like it was written by a bot, i gotta say this was my experience too. personally i feel that it was odd to lead the movie off with a funny scene, but the poo poo got laughs. on opening night it was real weird to me though and it gets the movie off to a real strange start

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Serf posted:

while this sounds like it was written by a bot, i gotta say this was my experience too. personally i feel that it was odd to lead the movie off with a funny scene, but the poo poo got laughs. on opening night it was real weird to me though and it gets the movie off to a real strange start

Pompous Nazi rear end in a top hat gets made a fool of, what's not to enjoy?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

fivegears4reverse posted:

Ah good, this means Age of Ultron is also a well written movie.

Yes, that's why they kept giving Whedon work even though objectively he can't write. His movies made billions, so he's a good writer, and you want a good writer for your big budget film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MariusLecter posted:

Pompous Nazi rear end in a top hat gets made a fool of, what's not to enjoy?

so much for the tolerant Resistance

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

He should’ve thrown it at her face.

I was disappointed they didn't go with the "You didn't happen to find a hand with this, did you?" joke.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The much funnier Hux-getting-taken-down-a-notch moment was him trying to take a call with a pissed off Snoke in his quarters and a giant Snoke face shows up on the bridge and starts throwing him around.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 1, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

“Uh, ah! Good...”

Gleeson owns.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

My thoughts on the prequels

The Phantom Menace
- This one can trick you into having fond memories because the good parts (pod race, duel of the fates, going through the water-filled center of a planet to get to the other side) are much more memorable than the bad parts (the goofy, dull, confusing remainder of the movie)
- Is it true that Qui Gon is implicitly Anakin's father?
- The last Star Wars movie it was possible to be hyped for without being gullible
- People complain about Jar Jar but Watto's the one who was truly loving unbelievable

Attack of the Clones
- CineD is famous for its contrarians, but is anyone contrarian enough to say this isn't the worst Lucas-directed Star Wars? Well, now that I think about it, yes, there's definitely someone
- Seriously I saw this movie in the just the right circumstances, at just the right age, years before prequel hate was a full meme, and still hated it
- Honestly it's surprising it took Lucas this long to have clones in a Star Wars movie (aside from the reference in a New Hope). The man is permanently obsessed with clones
- One thing I'll give this movie credit for is how effectively it brings you along for Anakin's fall. It makes you hate the sandpeople more than any other villain in the series, so you feel the same bloodlust and spite and contempt -- dark side emotions -- that Anakin does when he massacres them

Revenge of the Sith
- While it was in theaters everyone was saying you should see it because it connects to the OT and while it's still not as good as them, at least it's better than the other prequels. Talk about damning with faint praise
- Ewan McGregor's a good actor
- Sidious' appearance being twisted by his own malice is very thematically appropriate. It's also cool that they managed to have the same actor portray him in all six movies. Er, five
- "NOOOOOO" started the tradition of prequel memes that continues strong to this day
- My favorite serious thing to come out of this movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN74bOubUug

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

My thoughts on the prequels

The Phantom Menace
- This one can trick you into having fond memories because the good parts (pod race, duel of the fates, going through the water-filled center of a planet to get to the other side) are much more memorable than the bad parts (the goofy, dull, confusing remainder of the movie)
- Is it true that Qui Gon is implicitly Anakin's father?
- The last Star Wars movie it was possible to be hyped for without being gullible
- People complain about Jar Jar but Watto's the one who was truly loving unbelievable

Attack of the Clones
- CineD is famous for its contrarians, but is anyone contrarian enough to say this isn't the worst Lucas-directed Star Wars? Well, now that I think about it, yes, there's definitely someone
- Seriously I saw this movie in the just the right circumstances, at just the right age, years before prequel hate was a full meme, and still hated it
- Honestly it's surprising it took Lucas this long to have clones in a Star Wars movie (aside from the reference in a New Hope). The man is permanently obsessed with clones
- One thing I'll give this movie credit for is how effectively it brings you along for Anakin's fall. It makes you hate the sandpeople more than any other villain in the series, so you feel the same bloodlust and spite and contempt -- dark side emotions -- that Anakin does when he massacres them

Revenge of the Sith
- While it was in theaters everyone was saying you should see it because it connects to the OT and while it's still not as good as them, at least it's better than the other prequels. Talk about damning with faint praise
- Ewan McGregor's a good actor
- Sidious' appearance being twisted by his own malice is very thematically appropriate. It's also cool that they managed to have the same actor portray him in all six movies. Er, five
- "NOOOOOO" started the tradition of prequel memes that continues strong to this day
- My favorite serious thing to come out of this movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN74bOubUug

Cool post, man. It's weird that people randomly bring up the prequels even when they "hate" them. Is this called obsession?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So in A New Hope if we accept that R2-D2 fucks, and hosed the Death Star, does that make the Death Star a person like droids are or is R2 just a sex pervert?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What do people think - is watching in numerical order better or is release order better?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

UmOk posted:

Cool post, man. It's weird that people randomly bring up the prequels even when they "hate" them. Is this called obsession?

Well, people were talking about the prequels so I thought I'd share my take. And the only one I hate is Attack of the Clones, the other ones I'm just lukewarm on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

So in A New Hope if we accept that R2-D2 fucks, and hosed the Death Star, does that make the Death Star a person like droids are or is R2 just a sex pervert?

Reading Wookiepedia or some poo poo, R2D2 has a strong masculine personality is what he's described with. He's obviously the top when it comes to 3CPO, is courageous and has wit and attitude. He also gets poo poo done. Maybe he's the robot James Bond and when necessary can pump a Death Star for info. I think Ewan's Ben Kenobi, Anakin, and R2D2 are a really effective badass team and compliment each other nicely.