Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
I've come to admire Megatokyo. Fred Gallagher is a fifty year old man who has managed to sustain himself for nearly twenty years on the back of a magic cocktail of laziness and incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The thing about being a bottom eater is that you never go hungry

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My first webcomic was "Triangle and Robert" and that was an absolute trip.

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
my first webcomic was called ray and it was a thousand-page shonen ai opus drawn in marker pen by a 13-year-old dutch girl and hosted on fanart central. i was also 13 and thought it was the tits lmao (fanart central was great, it was like deviantart but even worse)

incidentally i went to a presbyterian boarding school, and when i went over my monthly data allowance and the teachers found that my browsing history was full of shirtless blushing anime pre-teens i had some questions to answer, but of course there was never any dick so i didn't get in too much trouble

i felt like such a rebel

australiar fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 1, 2018

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
fanart central only had like 50 users so it never had significant drama, but that 13-year-old dutch girl caused a lot of what drama did occur, because she was married to kyo from fruits basket, and if anybody else claimed to be married to kyo from fruits basket that was a major attack on the integrity of her love and it must be stopped

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
anyway that was the only webcomic i read for many years and then i picked up gunnerkrigg one afternoon when i was at uni and kind of got back into the whole thing. good times

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I've come to admire Megatokyo. Fred Gallagher is a fifty year old man who has managed to sustain himself for nearly twenty years on the back of a magic cocktail of laziness and incompetence.

jesus he's 50?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

jesus he's 50?

49, according to Wikipedia. Which means he was 32 when he started working on Megatokyo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

49, according to Wikipedia. Which means he was 32 when he started working on Megatokyo.

this is too much sadness for me to process

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

reignonyourparade posted:

My first webcomic was some... gag a day comic with a "[character] and [character]" name and I want to say one of them was a penguin? But most importantly it had a link to Order of the Stick I eventually discovered and THAT had links at the time to a bunch of other stuff.

Holy poo poo I remember reading that comic. It was about a polar bear (who’s name was Wallace iirc) that ended up in Antarctica and his penguin friend, haven’t thought about it for ages.

I’m pretty sure my first webcomic was xkcd, posted on some blog I was following at the time. I definitely remember seeing a lot of sprite comics too, but I never really gave them much notice as I was always looking for cheat codes, not fanfic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Newgrounds led me to 8BT, which in turn led me to CAD and Dominic Deegan, which through some banner ad led me to Shortpacked and David Willis' stuff so basically what I'm saying is Brian Clevinger ruined my life.

e: okay actually I guess Tom Fulp ruined my life for creating Newgrounds and a haven for kids' poorly made Flash renditions of 8 bit strips

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

TwoPair posted:

Newgrounds led me to 8BT, which in turn led me to CAD and Dominic Deegan, which through some banner ad led me to Shortpacked and David Willis' stuff so basically what I'm saying is Brian Clevinger ruined my life.

e: okay actually I guess Tom Fulp ruined my life for creating Newgrounds and a haven for kids' poorly made Flash renditions of 8 bit strips

there was more then the one guy making those? wild

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Whatever happened to his partner? Rodney something?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

AriadneThread posted:

there was more then the one guy making those? wild

Not only was there an entire community behind those sprite animations, I also at one point discovered there was an entire subgenre of sprite animation entirely focused around maplestory sprites.

They're actually incredibly well animated too, if you've seen sprite animation released in like the last five years or so (the best example that comes to mind is that one death battle series on YouTube) there's actually a pretty decent chance they're linked to that scene. It's pretty wild.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mildred is starting off 2018 strong, I see.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Death Battle is pretty much a thinly veiled excuse to legitimize sprite art fight animations, carried on the back of millions of nerds constantly arguing about which pretend kung-fu man is stronger.

I have to imagine that at least a third of their subscriber count is hate-watchers.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Anora posted:

Whatever happened to his partner? Rodney something?

He does cyber security now, apparently. Also he's a Libertarian.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
First webcomics were Penny Arcade and PVP. Then at some point, some video game website (Gamespot?) linked to Scary Go Round (early on, like the first time Shelley died), and that linked me into a whole bunch of other stuff, like Sam & Fuzzy and Wigu

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
wigu is the the normal of webcomics and I kinda miss it

tinaun fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 2, 2018

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
my webcomic is the new normal

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Anyone who posts "my webcomic..." sentences from now on should join Avshalom in Donald Trump Unbirth Permaban Hell. That joke is tired as poo poo by now :manning:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

free avshalom

unbirthing is not a crime

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

tinaun posted:

wigu is the the normal of webcomics and I kinda miss it

I thought this said nermal and it was a better time

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe

nine-gear crow posted:

Anyone who posts "my webcomic..." sentences from now on should join Avshalom in Donald Trump Unbirth Permaban Hell. That joke is tired as poo poo by now :manning:
this is the general webcomics thread for liking webcomics in, friend. i happen to like my webcomic a lot, perhaps even too much, but it is not a crime

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Maybe they mean "my" in the sense of my sports team or the like, conferring loyalty or belonging but not necessarily ownership.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
My webcomic is coming dangerously close to actually existing

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Aww, Tilly's getting a happy ending. :3:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
see u, space manic pixie enby secretary

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Aww, Tilly's getting a happy ending. :3:

Probably an unhappy ending for the space station, seeing as how the plan was to do corporate espionage.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Samuringa posted:

I want this on a t-shirt.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Can we shift focus to Tilly and the space station

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I'm glad Tilly got to return to their home planet.

Edit: that wasn't intentional

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 2, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Their home planet.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Ack, right. Although isn't it strange that Tilly uses gendered honorifics? What do they say when they meet another gender neutral person?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im p sure taffy told their dad in a private phone conversation they were uninterested in performing corporate espionage

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samuringa posted:

i didnt know the megatokyo guy eats rear end

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Typical Pubbie posted:

Ack, right. Although isn't it strange that Tilly uses gendered honorifics? What do they say when they meet another gender neutral person?
"Hello, it's nice to meet you"?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nine-gear crow posted:

My webcomic is about a man who hates my webcomic

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my webcomic is about an elemental being of lust and love for birds (clarification: only wholesome feelings for birds) who is repeatedly cast out of purgatory but cannot be kept out for very long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

"Hello, it's nice to meet you"?

That's not an honorific like miss or ma'am. It's not a big deal, it's just odd that I have to remind myself this character is gender neutral when they're slinging dusty gendered nouns like they're in a Dickens novel.